Start by marking “Falling Stars (Rakes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Falling Stars (Rakes, #2)

Falling Stars (The Rakes #2)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  164 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Sweeping from the green hills of England to the majesty of the Imperial Russian court, here is the thrilling sequel to Autumn Rain. Rich with breathless adventure, dark betrayal, passion and sensuality, it is a new triumph for Mills, the winner of three Reviewer's Choice Awards.
Published September 1st 1993 by Topaz

To ask other readers questions about Falling Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Stars

Kathleen
Aug 17, 2009 rated it did not like it
If I could give a book NEGATIVE STARS, I would.

I read Autumn Rain years ago by the same author, and loved it. Just the right mix of melodrama and angst. So when I spotted Falling Stars in a used bookstore over the winter, I grabbed it. And fell straight into one of the most depressing books I have ever read.

The gently-bred English heroine marries a Russian man with a secret. After she is pregnant with his child, she discovers that he's in love with- and sleeping with- his sister. So she flees
Regan Walker
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exotic-locale
Beware Handsome, Mysterious Russians Offering Jewels

Mills serves up an unusual story that sweeps the heroine from the ballrooms of London to the grand palaces of Russia. The story begins in London in 1814 where Katherine (“Kate”) Winstead, and her younger sister Carissa, are enjoying the London Season with their brother, Harry, Baron Winstead. [Usually the title and surname are not the same but here they are.] Harry’s best friend is Bellamy (“Bell”), Viscount Townsend, a rake of the first order
Angelyn Schmid
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Readers either love or hate this book, a sure sign that it is unforgettable.

I've read this book many times, not only because the story is gripping but to learn how to create believable characters and emotional conflict.

Bell Townsend is the anti-hero and I love this character. The author takes his selfishness and manages to turn it into a strong motivation to help the heroine--how does she do that? I'm still working on it.

CLM
Aug 18, 2011 marked it as to-read
I know I read this but don't remember anything but the cover.
Scarlett Copperfly
I had this book on my kindle for ages before I finally read it, so I had pretty much forgotten what it was about and just started reading. And well....
First of all the beginning is annoying simply because of Claire. What a horrible brat. I was tempted to put it down because I already knew this would continue throughout the entire book. But I kept going.

The moment Townsend was introduced I knew that at the end he and Kate would be together, it was all just a question of how. When Lexy entered I
Tonileg
Historical English romance with a brutally honest voyage in winter to Russia where a plain jane learns about love and finally finds it with a smoking hot titled gentleman.
Second chances romance with some damaged people which goes to show that you can be really good looking and still get the brutal shaft because that is not enough to make a relationship last.
Miss Katherine Winstead is a shy plain-jane with no good prospects to marry with an awful selfish mother and younger sister but is still a s
LJ
Jul 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
FALLING STARS - Poor
Mills, Anita - Sequal to "Autumn Rain"

Kate Winstead’s noble father had been destroyed by his weakness for gambling. Now Kate was taking a gamble that would have made her father blanch. She was giving her hand in marriage to a man she barely knew and going to live in a foreign land. Her husband, Count Alexei Volsky, was as mysterious as he was masterful, yet strangely cold even at the burning peak of passion. What secret did he and his ravishing sister conceal on his vast esta
Lady Day
Because of the bad reviews, I started at the middle of this story. What I read so far has been interesting. Will review upon completion.

Update: I enjoyed the book, it is a fifteen hour read and it introduces a character in the third book of the series which happens to be one of my all time favorite. Now the book is in audio format.

I would say to understand the H and the herione you must understand there past. It is a slow book but it does get better.
Julianne G Cockey
Excellent

Excellent

This vivid story pulls emotions out of you and has you turning pages to read faster than your eyes can focus. It will reveal the heartbreaking degradation and lack of freedom many people suffered in the early 1800s of Europe and Russia. It's the survival story of a brave sheltered young woman.
Susannah Carleton
Sequel to Autumn Rain. It's not a typical romance, but it's an intriguing one.
Katie
Apr 03, 2014 rated it liked it
I seem to be a very small minority who liked it but didn't love it (nor hated it). it was a good read but not one that would make me choose another right away.
Lindsay Nelson
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

I wasn't sure if I would like it or not for most of it, but I did in the end. Pretty disturbing and depressing through a lot of it, but ended well.
Laura Lee
Jun 27, 2012 rated it liked it
England and Russia in the early 1860s. Liked it.
Ahsinad
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was just sooooooo sad. I have never read a book with so much sorrow in it for the main character. I got really weepy. ;(
Nancy Laney
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Is a great book to read
Lyuda
Apr 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Very sad and disturbing story. Well written as expected of the author but too much angst for me and not enough romance.
Squeaky
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this novel, loved that it was dark with a marriage of betrayal, travel to a foreign country and not all was what it seemed.
Michelle C
May 31, 2014
Deidre
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • No Brighter Dream (Pascal Trilogy #3)
  • Savage Destiny (The Hearts Of Liberty, #1)
  • Emerald Embrace
  • Calico
  • Tender the Storm (Deveraux Trilogy, #1)
  • The Pirate's Jewel (Pirate, #2)
  • The Pirate Prince
  • The Captive
  • Caprice (Masqueraders, #1)
  • What Wild Moonlight
  • Dancing with the Devil (Devil to Pay, #2)
  • Silken Promises
  • Orchids in Moonlight
  • Prince of Swords
  • Touch The Sun (Beauvisage, #2)
  • A Moment In Time
  • Into The Woods
  • From This Day Forward
21924
A former history and English teacher, Anita Mills turned to writing in the mid-1980's. After her regency romance SCANDAL BOUND was published followed by her highly acclaimed LADY OF FIRE, Anita Mills went on to enjoy an award filled career. Her historical novels and regency short stories are ranked among the best in their respective genres. The parents of four children, Anita and her husband Larry ...more
More about Anita Mills...

The Rakes (3 books)
  • Autumn Rain (Rakes, #1)
  • Secret Nights (Rakes, #3)