Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer” as Want to Read:
Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  3,017 Ratings  ·  306 Reviews
One of America's most influential writing teachers offers a toolbox from which writers of all kinds can draw practical inspiration.

"Writing is a craft you can learn," says Roy Peter Clark. "You need tools, not rules." His book distills decades of experience into 50 tools that will help any writer become more fluent and effective.

WRITING TOOLS covers everything from the mo
...more
ebook, 0 pages
Published January 10th 2008 by Little, Brown and Company (first published September 1st 2006)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Writing Tools, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Tools

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
بثينة العيسى
لهذا الكتاب أهمية خاصة. فبعد صدور "لماذا نكتب" و"الزن في فن الكتابة"، صرنا أكثر مقدرة على الحديث عن الكتابة بصفتها صنعة، ومناقشة أدواتها بصفتها احتمالات متاحة أمام الكاتب، ينبغي عليه أن يختار منها ما يتوافق مع نصّه وفق شروطه الفنية. أعتقد بأن الكتب العربية التي تتناول هذا الموضوع نادرة جدًا، وكثير منها يسطّح المعالجة أكثر مما يجب. روي بيتر كلارك يستنبط أدواته من النموذج ولا يسقط النموذج على أدواته. إن الأدب هو دائمًا سابق على التنظير في الأدب، ولكن هذا لا يلغي الأهمية البالغة لكتابٍ مثل هذا، إذ ...more
Jaycruz Cruz
Sep 09, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Before Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer became an actual book, the tools were a series of blog posts Roy Peter Clark wrote over at Poynter.org. The version I've read were those original 50 blog posts collected in PDF form. You can find all the original collected posts here and if you want to you can download the PDF from my Dropbox folder here.

From what you can see on the actual book's table of contents there are some differences from the the names of the tools and how it
...more
عبدالرحمن عقاب
كتاب جيّد، مفيد إذا ما فهم كأدوات لا كقواعد وقوانين.
يستحقّ هذا الكتاب أن يُعرّب لا أن يترجم! وأقصد بذلك أن يتمّ إعادة إنتاجه من قبل أحد الكتاب "الإبداعيين" بأمثلةٍ عربية. لأنّها ستكون أبلغ في أثرها، وأوضح في بيانها.
استفدتُ منه بضعة أفكار عملية، وأظنّ أنّ غيري سيجد فيه أكثر من ذلك أو أقلّ، كلّ حسب احتياجه والأداة التي تهمّه أو تنقصه.
...more
Douglas Wilson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wordsmithing
This was a very fine book on writing. Some really shrewd wisdom in this thing. One of my favorites is this: Choose words the average writer avoids but the average reader understands. Rarely used words are not the same thing as unknown words.
morning Os
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I am an international student who had never been surrounded by native English speakers until the age of 22. I ended up studying humanities in an American phd program. Imagine how stressful writing is for someone like me. I have been struggling to acquire the instinct and intuition you guys have when you judge "good" and "bad" writings. This book is helping me a lot understand, step by step, what constitutes good English sentences, paragraphs and chapters. The examples are brilliant. They not onl ...more
Marwa Eletriby
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
الحقيقه بتحمس للكتب الصادرة عن تكوين
لانها بطريقه ما مُنتقاه أو في نوع من الفائدة ولو كانت مجرد تسليط الضوء على نقاط ما ممكن أكون عرفتها قبل كده
.
ابالنسبه للكتاب ده - أول جزء شعرت انه محتاج تركييز - في الأجزاء الأخرى دونت بعض الملاحظات
واحتفظت بها عندي
.
فكامل الامتنان
Michelle
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommend for anyone who wants inspiration & splendidly helpful tools for polishing your writing! It even has sections for dealing with that nagging critic in our heads and how to handle negative criticism from others.

"The receptive writer must convert debate into conversation. A debate ends with a winner and a loser. A conversation can conclude with both sides learning, and a promise of more good talk to come."
مرام الجبيل
آخر ما كتبه كلارك في كتابه هذا "حظاً سعيداً ، و استمر في الكتابة" بعدها ستشعر بمصافحة يده ثم يبتعد عنك تاركاً عدّة الأدوات في يدك
Brian
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is the book about?
"Think of writing as carpentry, and consider this book your toolbox. You can borrow a writing tool at any time"

Cool. How should I use these tools?
"Do not try to apply these tools all at once"

What's the best tool of them all?
"The most powerful tool on your workbench is oral reading"

So these tools will make me sound smarter?
"The writer cannot make something clear until the difficult subject is clear in the writer's head. Then, and only then, does she reach into the writer'
...more
Karsten
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sabbatical-reads
Clark's book is about more about style than content or correctness. And the 50 strategies are so practical, readable, entertaining, and genuinely helpful that writing with “style” becomes just as substantial and reachable a goal as writing good content with correctness.

That's fantastic. The book gets the fifth star, though, for its outstanding structure/organization. Clark has built this book like a fractal image: Its pattern and value is the same from far as from near, and it’ll make you a bett
...more
Jim
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An outstanding book for anyone who writes or wants to be a writer. I attended two seminars put on by the author at the Tucson Festival of Books, and new immediately I had to have this book.

It's broken down into four parts...Nuts and Bolts; Special Effects; Blueprints; and Useful Habits. From the 4 subtitles, you can see it goes beyond just good grammar and proper usage. It is designed to not only help your writing, but improve your writing habits and give you new ways to think about your writing
...more
Vanessa
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book does what its title suggests, meticulously presents all the tactics that are often used by professional and savvy writers. With a succinct and informative table of contents, this book can serve as a dictionary of writing, readers can locate what tactics they are interested in, explore it without reading the book cover to cover ( although the book is good enough for you to do so). Introducing from the basic knowledge of sentence structure to the board field of writers' habits, the author ...more
J.L.
Jun 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is essential reading for every beginning writer. Roy Clark provides the writer fifty tools with which to improve her craft. The chapters are short, informative, and funny and written in a style to illustrate a particular tool. He also provides brief exercises at the end of each chapter—not just writing, but cool exercises like observing people—to spur your thinking or to help increase your understanding.

The passage that resonated with me was his advice to not implement everything in t
...more
Sotiris Makrygiannis
A nice book, full with 50 techniques on how to write a book.
Nice!
Aaron
Every so often in life you come across something that makes you pause and think, "Okay, this is really something. This is how it's done." Sometimes it's a movie, like The Matrix with all it's dazzling special effects, stylish art, and mysterious story. Sometimes it's a new technique like the Fosbury Flop at the 1968 Olympics, stealing the show and changing how everyone does the high jump from then on. Sometimes it's whatever you call it when you release a seminal rock album like Sgt. Pepper's an ...more
Dan Richter
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english, self-help
Das beste Buch zum Thema Schreiben, das ich bisher gelesen habe. (Gut, viel mehr als fünf waren es bisher auch nicht.)
Statt mit starren Regeln voranzumarschieren, öffnet Clark seine Werkzeugkiste. Er beginnt mit dem scheinbar Einfachsten, zum Beispiel Wort-Reihenfolge oder das Verhältnis von Aktiv- und Passivkonstruktionen. Clark zeigt, wie Aufzählungen funktionieren und wann sie nicht funktionieren. Er zeigt, was passiert, wenn man diese Regeln aus Unvermögen bricht und vor allem, wie man sie g
...more
Mohammad
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
توی کتاب هایی که تا حالا در مورد نوشتن خوندم، این بهترین بوده.
کتاب به چهار بخش تقسیم شده: نکات ریز، جلوه های ویژه، طرح ها و عادات خوب نویسندگی.
توی بخش اول یاد می ده چطور جمله بندی کنیم تا تاثیر دلخواه رو از نوشته خودمون به دست بیاریم. چطور تعلیق ایجاد کنیم. چطور جمله رو قوی تر و صریح تر کنیم. چطور از اشتباهات متداول اجتناب کنیم و مواردی مثل این.
توی بخش دوم در مورد سرعت نقل ماجرا، لحن گفتار، دیدگاه و مواردی مثل این صحبت می کنه. لحن نوشته توی نوشته های داستانی در برابر نوشته های غیرداستانی، نحوه
...more
د.ريمة
الكتاب قيم جدا ، يحوي عصارة التجربة الأدبية لمؤلفه روي بيتر كلارك، نلاحظ فيه الطريقة العلمية المنظمة، التي يدرس فيها مؤلفوا الغرب كتبهم دراسة مجهرية دقيقة وكأنها تجرية علمية تحتاج لبيئة ومخبر ومحاولات، وهذا مايميزهم ويميز أعمالهم ، يدرسونها منطقيا ومشاعريا وواقعيا، تنبع أهمية هذا الكتاب، من أنه منهج تعليمي متكامل وثرن لمن يريد بصدق تقييم تجربته الأدبية، ومعرفة إلى أين وصل فيها.
الكتاب يقرأ عدة مرات، وفي كل مرة يقرأ فيها سوف يتمكن من قدح زناد الفكر لديك.
Brian
Oct 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read, and I love to write. I especially love to read about writing.

On my way back from a hockey game in Wilkes-Barre one night, I stopped for gas. On top of the gas pump I was using, sat this book. It was in rough shape - wet, discolored, etc. If it had been a book about anything else, I leave it right where it was. But since it was about writing, I took it home.

And I'm glad I did.

This book is on par with Strunk & White, "On Writing", and "Bird by Bird", as far as instructional wri
...more
Jen
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw Roy Peter Clark speak at Teachers College last year during a professional development day focused on helping my students advance as writers. Although I walked away with a lot of fantastic ideas for my classroom, I was equally inspired as a writer myself to "raise the level" of my own writing. His book, Writing Tools, is fantastic and I would recommend it for any writer, but particularly for those in the midst of revision. It feels a little silly to put it on my "read" shelf, as I will cont ...more
Rebecca Clark
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How is this not required reading for all writers? All students? All teachers of writing? LOVED IT. Stealing so many this year...and the best part is you barely have to think of how you'll take his fantastic structure in each chapter and mold it into a mini-lesson pronto -- or keep right alongside you for writing conferences. STELLAR. Still hoping to run into him each summer we're in St. Pete.
Aimee Meester
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic, 2016
3.5 - good reminders and solid writing, but I knew most of it already and a lot of it addresses more nonfiction rather than stories.
S.C. Barrus
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
This book was everything I hoped it would be. 50 tools for writers ranging from sentence structure techniques to research and preparation for the big book.

I felt like I became a better writer by the time I reached the 20th tool, which is a testament to how useful these strategies are. There were a few lessons I was able to apply right away, others that took some thought and gestation, and still others that were lost in the wealth of information. I'll be reading this one again, I'm sure.

So if you
...more
Fatimah Mohammade
بنظري أي كاتب يعرف الأدوات المناسبة للكتابة الجيدة من استخدام افعال او عبارات طويلة أو علامات ترقيم وغيره، كما لم يتوفر في الكتاب أي أداة باهرة أو غير معروفة عما يستخدمه أي ممارس للكتابة، قد يجد من لم يكتب أو من لديه محاولات مبدأية في الكتابة ضالته في هذا الكتاب، توقعت الكتاب ملهم لكنه لم يكن كذلك إنما كان كتاب درس مدرسي يوجه طلاب وطالبات حديثي التعلم بأدوات الكتابة.
Mario Russo
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
awesome. Clean cut with great writing advice. Recommended.
Ahmad Badghaish
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب لطيف جدًا. يعتقد الكاتب بأن الكتابة الجيدة عبارة عن مهارة، يمكن أن تكتسب بالممارسة، وبهذا وضع الأدوات الخاصة بذلك. ولا أعرف إن كانت هذه الأدوات حقيقة بخلق كاتب جيد أم مجرد كاتب وحسب.
Emily
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for my class, but I think it offers great advice for all writers!
Katrina Sark
Nov 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
p.11 – Begin sentences with subjects and verbs. Make meaning early, then let weaker elements branch to the right.
p.14 – Workshop: Read through the New York Times or your local newspaper with a pencil in hand. Mark the locations of subjects and verbs. Do the same in your writing. The next time you struggle with a sentence, rewrite it by placing subject and verb at the beginning.
p.15 – Order words for emphasis. Place strong words at the beginning and at the end. Strunk and White’s The Elements o
...more
Rebecca Graf
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a writer or even a want to be writer, chances are you still can learn something new. If you’re like me, you can learn a lot of new things to help your writing. One great way is to read what other successful writers have learned over the years. I’ve gotten several books over the last few months and Roy Peter Clarks’ Writing Tools: 50 Essential Strategies for Every Writer is a resource that might just help you.

This is not a book that holds your hand and walks you through steps. Each cha
...more
Nicola
I've read so many books about writing that I'm inevitably jaded anytime I pick up a new one. Well, I'm pleased to say that the rather generically-titled Writing Tools knocked out all my expectations. It's a bit bloody good.

Admittedly, this is because it acts as a cliff's notes version of manymany other writing books. Roy Peter Clark swipes the best advice from Natalie Goldberg, Dorothea Brand, John Gardner et al, and boils down their wisdom into short, snappy articles. This is a great book to re
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences
  • Spunk & Bite: A Writer's Guide to Punchier, More Engaging Language & Style
  • Chapter After Chapter: Discover the Dedication & Focus You Need to Write the Book of Your Dreams
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises
  • The Productive Writer: Tips & Tools to Help You Write More, Stress Less & Create Success
  • Manuscript Makeover: Revision Techniques No Fiction Writer Can Afford to Ignore
  • Stein On Writing: A Master Editor of Some of the Most Successful Writers of Our Century Shares His Craft Techniques and Strategies
  • Naming the World: And Other Exercises for the Creative Writer
  • Sin and Syntax: How to Craft Wickedly Effective Prose
  • Telling True Stories: A Nonfiction Writers' Guide from the Nieman Foundation at Harvard University
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Scene and Structure (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • Telling Lies for Fun  Profit
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
29188
By many accounts, Roy Peter Clark is America’s writing coach, a teacher devoted to creating a nation of writers. A Google search on his name reveals an astonishing web of influence, not just in the United States, but also around the world. His work has erased many boundaries. A Ph.D. in medieval literature, he is widely considered one of the most influential writing teachers in the rough-and-tumbl ...more
More about Roy Peter Clark...
“Everyone should read, we say, but we act as if only those with special talent should write.” 8 likes
“If a period is a stop sign, then what kind of traffic flow is created by other marks? The comma is a speed bump; the semicolon is what a driver education teacher calls a “rolling stop”; the parenthetical expression is a detour; the colon is a flashing yellow light that announces something important up ahead; the dash is a tree branch in the road.” 4 likes
More quotes…