Start by marking “The Reckoning” as Want to Read:
The Reckoning

The Reckoning

3.34  ·  Rating details ·  677 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Enter the territory of Jeff Long, where the unknown is deeply present, death is a constant shadow, and the human spirit is our final hope. Now comes The Reckoning, another superbly original thriller -- a story of predation, betrayal, and resurrection that is at once intricate, haunting, and terrifying.
Armed with only a camera and iron determination, thirty-year-old photo
Published July 6th 2004 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2004)

Pilvi
Nov 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
When I borrowed this book from the library, I thought it was some sort of crime book. At least a war crime book. Instead, it was more of a mystery book. It was a story of history, love, finding who you are etc. It caught me by surprise because of the genre, but also with how much I liked it. I really enjoyed the story. I usually don't like books where the author leaves too much for the reader to decide and cipher out, but this one was enjoyable. There were many odd things that you had to think o ...more
Jeff
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Oakes
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
First of all, I recommend this book to any reader of horror that wants something beyond what you can find at the grocery store. There aren't a whole lot of answers here, but this one of of the creepiest ghost stories I've ever read. It is a very cerebral type of horror novel rather -- not like most of what is on the horror shelves these days.

In the acknowledgments section of his book, the author begins by saying "The Reckoning takes history for its haunted house." And indeed it does.

The story b
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unlike the wonderful darkness and action of The Descent (truly a tour de force), this novel has an odd, dreamy quality to it that suits it very well. The book is confusing and surreal, but in a very good way. I related to the characters as they felt lost, disjointed, and confused, and the fact that it's intentional makes it a great ride. Not as good as The Descent, but still thoroughly enjoyable.

It was reminiscent of Charles Grant, the master of this kind of dreamy, surreal horror
Julie Kellner
Feb 15, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a load of garbage if I could give this book no stars I would. A complete load of crap
Toni Boughton
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great Jeff Long book. His writing can be dream-like, and never more so than in this fantastic tale of those that got left behind in the wars we fight.
Amber
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this author's style. His books tend to have satisfactory suspense, minimal gore, sensuous descriptions, and a little dark humor. This is the second Jeff Long book I've read and I will read more of his work.
Peter Bylone
Sep 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, weird
So I started this book knowing that I'd read Mr. Long's book, The Descent, many years ago and still consider it my go-to whenever anyone asks what my favorite book was. I'd begun to question, though, if that book was really that good, or if it was just a matter of me reading it at a point in my life where it really resonated with me. Unfortunately, I lent that book to a friend long ago and never got it back. I've looked for it in the local book stores to replace it, but there are few that carry ...more
Juanita
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review: The Reckoning by Jeff long.

The book starts out as a thriller and transfigures into a mystical paranormal story. A reporter from The New York Times went on a travel assignment to Cambodia to take pictures and report on the US Military 19s efforts of excavating the site of a Military plane crash that took place in the 1970 19s and the remains of the pilot.

She joined up with two men in Cambodia. One was an archeologist who specialized in temple restoration and a development contractor who
Rocci Doria
The Reckoning is kind of a weird, modern day Vietnam-related fever dream. It has trouble getting started, picks up through the middle and free-falls through the ending, which, hard as it tries to be a twist, just weakens the whole story. The untwisted plot revolves around people searching out the bones of MIAs for retrieval to the homeland, a gruesome and grueling task that they know they'll never fully complete. This particular group is unsanctioned and comprised of temporarily semi-aligning in ...more
Ryan
Oct 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I have mixed feelings about this book! On the one hand, Jeff Long is a fantastically visual author who can make just about anything appear vividly in your mind. On the other hand, though, this book had one too many plot holes that I couldn't glide over. The camera is really the thing that bothers me though, it appears to defy physics at various points in the book to show exactly what the characters need to know. I know it's a little thing for a book that's a thriller/ghost story/horror novel, bu ...more
Maryann
I think Jeff Long is a good thriller author- his books are never too long and usually present an interesting premise with a good amount of twists and turns. This one, however... may have missed the mark a little.

Molly is a journalist recently arrived in Cambodia, taking a chance on a story about recovering an American soldier's remains. She hopes this story will be her big break. She meets Duncan, an expert on ancient Cambodian history and culture and who has participated in many digs, and Keat
Tina
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing Jeff Long absolutely nails is complete immersion in the world he has created, whether it's subterranean depths (The Descent, Deeper) or the Cambodian jungles as with this novel. While The Reckoning is a thriller, it is not a fast-paced, constantly moving version. It is more of an insidious and emotional story that creeps up on you bit by bit until it blossoms into a full-blown ghost story. I loved the historical perspective that drew in parts of the Vietnam War and the brutal regime of ...more
Sigh Lean
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book when I was in college, 7 years ago and as a young person from a generation that has only heard stories about war and its effects I have come to really like this story. Even though it's fiction, it's one that I wasn't able to put down, I had to finish it otherwise I was at a great loss to not finish it the same day I started it. Now years have gone and my point of view about things have broadened but this book still amazes me. Certainly a one in a million read. Kudus to the ...more
Misty
Jun 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poorly written crap, but pre-teens or even some teens might like it. The story could have been good if someone else wrote it that had the ability or desire to take the time to write it well. There were a lot of "what??" kind of moments in the little things such as what was supposed to be foreshadowing, conclusions characters made, ways they reacted, etc. Overall it felt rushed and amateur, and the writer seems to lack a basic understanding of the human psych.
Rusty
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
*Mild Spoiler Alert*

I enjoyed Long's "Year Zero" and "The Descent", so I was excited to pick this up.

The sci-fi/adventure'ish elements in here are very good. I could have done without the odd character traits of the female lead and particularly the plant rape scene. These seemed to be strangely fetishistic moments stuck in the middle of a story that they had nothing to do with.
Tiffani
Oct 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller/Horror fans
If you enjoyed The Ruins, you might enjoy this one even more. The plot is faster paced and more robust. There's also a bit of Stephen King horror of the unknown happening. A page turner to the end. Left me feeling still just a bit confused, but I really enjoyed the book.
Ratforce
The Reckoning by Jeff Long is part ghost story (similar to Stephen King) and part suspenseful adventure (similar to Dean Koontz). If you enjoy Long’s writing style, The Descent, Deeper and Year Zero are also fantastic reads.
Eija
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirjoitustyyli miellyttävä, hiukan arvoituksellinen. Hyvä tarina, johon tuli vahvasti mukanaolon tuntu - pystyi hyvinkin kuvittelemaan Kambodzan viidakon tapahtumat kadonneine kaupunkeineen ja kummituksineen. Mukana sopiva ripaus romantiikkaa, joka piristi tarinaa tekemättä siitä imelää.
Emily Erdmann
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review will be my thoughts and feelings toward the book. It will not be a summary.

Overall, I thought The Reckoning by Jeff Long was a pretty good book. I was confused at some parts, and what happens at the end really threw me for a loop. It's a good adventure/ mystery book in my opinion.
George
Feb 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Jeff Long book I read. It was one of my top picks of the year! A must read!
Eric
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book can be a bit confusing in places and the ending leads you to believe: "what just happened?"
Robert
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chilling and surreal.
Alexis
I'm not sure if it's because I flew through this book... But I didn't get the ending. Let down. But then again I didn't really connect with this book in the first place.
Amy
Jul 16, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just can't get into this at all...and I read Twilight for crying out loud! Ha. I actually liked Twilight cause I'm a nerd...maybe that's the problem? Probably.
Jul 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what a fabulous book! I have a new author to follow! :) can't wait to read more by this one!
Jessica
The jungle imagery and mythical elements are very well-done, but the final revelations are a bit obvious and the author's attempts to add spice to the female lead come off more weird than attractive.
Sandy
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
I really like Long's books but I didn't care for this book. It had a pretty generic, Indiana Jones plot to it and not much of interest going on it. It seemed forced.
Ellen Eddy
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Best ghost story I think I've ever read.
Billy K
Jan 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
English books were a little scarce in Korea...don't read it
Jeff Long...where is he? 1 4 Feb 20, 2014 10:06AM
  • The Spiritual Doorway in the Brain: A Neurologist's Search for the God Experience
  • Apprentice to the Flower Poet Z.
  • Sacrifice
  • Tap,Tap
  • The Monster: How a Gang of Predatory Lenders and Wall Street Bankers Fleeced America--and Spawned a Global Crisis
  • Devils & Demons: A Treasury of Fiendish Tales Old & New
  • Gateways to Abomination: Collected Short Fiction
  • Shadow Season
  • A Dictionary of Maqiao
  • A Room For The Dead
  • Juggernaut (Outpost, #0.5)
  • Hide and Seek
  • Murder in the High Himalaya: Loyalty, Tragedy and Escape from Tibet
  • A Twisted Ladder (Devils of the Briar Series)
  • Strokes Of Midnight (Harlequin Blaze #364)
  • Nailed by the Heart