Start by marking “Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes” as Want to Read:
Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

Falling Cloudberries: A World of Family Recipes

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  1,918 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews

A delightful recipe collection packed full of good memories, good taste, and love

Chef Tessa Kiros had an eclectic culinary upbringing. Born to a Finnish mother and a Greek-Cypriot father and raised in South Africa, her kitchen table was always filled with delicious traditional dishes from around the world.

In Falling Cloudberries Kiros brings together the recipes that

Published October 1st 2004 by Murdoch Books

To ask other readers questions about Falling Cloudberries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falling Cloudberries

Tattered Cover Book Store
Gerald says:

Foodies (and booklovers):

Here is one of the most gorgeous, fun cookbook to come along in several years. The care taken in the production of this book is phenomenal from the book cover to the illustrations to the text.

I find that there are two sorts of cookbooks that most interest shoppers: those that people cook out of regularly and those that inspire and even comfort with their celebration of the pleasures of food. The former category really only involves a small number in anyone's
Stacy
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This book is so lovely and artistically done. I don’t know how many cookbooks have actually “left me wanting more”, but this one did. The title gave me the expectation that it would be all Scandinavian recipes, but in fact the author has a mixed heritage including relatives from Finland, Cyprus, and Russia, and has lived and traveled to Italy, South Africa, and many other places.

She compiles wonderful simply recipes from these places and laces them with dreamy memories of food, smells, and love
Catherine
Aug 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
An interesting collection of recipes organised according to country of origin reflecting the places the author has lived in her life and her cultural heritage.

The author provides backstory to the recipes, recounting memories from her life lived in different countries. I usually hate backstory but the author writes with authenticity and sincerity and the different countries/cultures are interesting so I don't mind it so much in this book.

I like this book. The book itself is delightful in design
Marleene
This is an absolutely stunning cookbook. The recipes are clearly written and the photography is superb - whether of the food presented, the locales described, or hauntingly beautiful scenery. The premise of the book is certainly one that I can relate to - it's a highly personal welcome into the authors life and an exciting presentation of her cultural mix which includes Finland, Cyprus, Italy, South Africa and a smattering of things she makes from contact with friends.

However, this is also the
Shantiwallah
Jun 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
I've marked this as 'read' even though I don't own it. I mean, it's very expensive! So, I just look at it in the bookshop over and over and plan to get it from the library soon.
This is exactly the cookbook that I've wanted to write for some time and Tessa Kiros has beat me to it. The recipes are driven by the mish-mash of cultures that she and many people have within their own families (myself included). She gives just enough personal information so that you get a sense of what the recipes mean
Tatjana
Nov 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a gorgeous book!
The sumptuous photography and personal stories make this a book that shouldn't be squirreled away in the kitchen (or maybe it should, depending on your family!). The recipes are easy to follow and have a wonderful outcome.

I love the juxtaposition of Cypriot, Finnish, Italian and South African cookery because it somewhat reflects my own culinary experience growing up!

I wish I had access to some of the ingredients for many these dishes not to mention the time to linger over th
Cheryl
Mar 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a gorgeous book.
This is the book that your sister gives you as a gift.
It contains all the family recipes from a diverse and colorful family lineage and it dotted with family photos and vignettes.

It was quite lovely and I am a fan of Tessa Kiros but I don't live in a region where it is likely I'd be able to obtain a fresh octopus much less hang it on a line to dry.

There were a few recipes that I would like to try - champagne risotto as well as pistachio ice cream. The Greek-influenced dis
Kristen
Jul 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: foodies, cook-books
Beautiful book. The recipes all look wonderful, but a few may be out of reach as I am living in Singapore and pickled herring is not easy to find :-)

I plan on testing out a few of the recipes later after I return back from vacation. that will be the true test of the book and the rating may improve.

Update: I have tried a number of these recipes and they are all delish. The book is heavy on the cream though, which is hard if you are lactose intolerant like me... but great book and good easy to fol
Chris Marsh
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love, love, love! More kitchen awesomeness from Tessa Kiros. I especially loved the Greek/Cypriot section as this is a part that is close to my childhood and I can still taste and smell all those delicious Mediterranean dishes. I'm going to try out a couple of the Cyprus recipes for Easter. We love buying the Finnish bread when we're up in the north woods and I'm so glad to have a good recipe now!
Viv
Sep 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent cookbook. The recipes are well written with metric and other measurements. So far I have made the leg of lamb with oregano and lemon, afelia, tzatziki and the sauteed greens and they have all turned out wonderfully.

The photography in the book is also really good. Both the food and photos from the region the food comes from in each section (Finland, Greece, South Africa, Italy and rest of the world) Would definitely recommend.
Lisa
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It is a pleasure to read as every recipe tells the story of the Author and her heritage. The photos and art of it are stunning. I love, love, love her hummus recipe and it is my go to recipe.

I really should find some more recipes to try but every time I pull it off the shelf, I get sucked into reading it and looking at the photos rather than really finding a recipe to make.

Lovely book.
Karima
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous! Gorgeous! Gorgeous!
I loved everything about this tantalizing collection. The cover (even the floral design on the inside cover and don't miss the subtle script transcribed in luminescent letters OVER her photo on the back of the dust jacket,) the photos,the drawings, the recipes, the heartfelt commemoration and honor given to family members. I want to know this woman. I want to BE this woman.
Caroline
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery
This is one of those cookbooks that I would definitely own, if I weren't a vegetarian. The pictures are beautiful, the stories behind the recipes are heartfelt (and seemingly) as flavorful as the recipes themselves. There weren't very many vegetarian recipes other than sweets and the occasional salad. But that's ok! The meat recipes, particularly the lamb one look divine. Non-vegetarians: Give this book a try.
Tara
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, cooking
Beautiful, with big gorgeous photos and mini-essays sprinkled throughout.
Sadly, very few vegetarian options (which only makes sense, since it focuses on the traditional cuisine of Finland (herring!), Greece, Italy and Cyprus), so I didn't make any of the recipes.
But I very much enjoyed flipping through it, oohing and ahhing.

(A note about my 52 in 2010: I'm only counting cookbooks that I actually cook a recipe from, so this one doesn't make it!)
Bramble
This author just has a way with...food and words. She takes you on a journey where not only can you see in your mind , but also smell and taste the experience that is her food. Everything I have made so far is delicious, though sometimes you must plan ahead. This is a thoughtful, elaborate and lavish blueprint for life's celebrations. This book was a gift in more than just receiving it for Christmas.I also enjoyed her other book Apples for Jam.
TrueMyths
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love this book. it is filled with glorious recipes with taste, zest and passion. it has an old-fashioned idea about good food - simple ingredients put together to taste wonderful. i love the recipes, i love her stories, and i love variety of these foods from around the world. the chickpea salad is a favourite for summer bbq's. it is in australia and i am in canada; i miss it.
Libbeth
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2006, cooking
This book is so lovely to look at that if I am cooking from it I jot the recipe down rather than risk spatters in the kitchen. Some books I decide in advance that they are going to bear the marks of their use (Richard Bertinet’s “Dough” is nearly a loaf itself as it is so covered in floury fingerprints) but Tessa’s books stay out of the kitchen.
Heidi
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
What a joy to find a cookbook that is so beautifully presented that it is a book in itself that you want to pull from the shelf and look through. When the recipes are delicious on top of that...you have perfection! I can only say that if you are thinking about getting a cookbook by Tessa Kiros, think no longer and get one. I have three and love them all!
Christina  Costain
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
spied this one at the library the other day and SO GLAD I picked it up. Greek, Italian, and more all in one book?>!!?? The photos are gorgeous and there's so much inside this tasty little book. Love the little narratives she puts with each recipe, too. makes it so much more personal!

Can't wait to check out more of her books!
Cherie
This book is GORGEOUS! Unfortunately, most of the recipes are VERY meat-heavy – I have not seen such a vegetarian-unfriendly cookbook in a while. The few vegetarian recipes I noticed sound delightful. She combines various recipes from her different cultural backgrounds, so there’s a mix of Greek, South African, Finnish, Italian, and more. Lovely photos.
Jerzy
Beautiful photos, delicious-sounding recipes, and a few non-pretentious passages of evocative text... AAAH THE URGE IS TO STRONG I WANT TO GO TRAVELING AND SAMPLE THE WORLD'S DELICIOUS FOODS AAAAH!!!!
...but I guess I'll stick here for now and bake some Finnish cardamom buns. For now.
The family history chart is really cute too :)
Catherine Woodman
Gorgeous cook book which I got because it was one of Gourmet's Cookbook of the month selections--the author has lived around, comes from mixed ancestry and these are the foods of her life--the things that she loves. It is just beautiful.
Karen
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover alone is worth 4-5 stars. I embrace the diversity, the writing, the images, and the layout. Milk, Honey, and Cinnamon Ice Cream. This is a woman who uses superfine sugar. Stroganoff with Pickled Cucumbers and Honey. Pinapple, Cinnamon, and Allspice Cake.
Diane Warrington
Oct 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking
A lovely book about a journey into the author's past. She revisits her homeland, her family left behind in Poland and relates it all to food and remembered family celebrations and meals from the past. Included are some beautiful photographs that capture the feel of her journey. Lovely read.
Rebecca
I love reading cookbooks, this one is a perfect example. The author has Finnish and Greek parents, married an Italian and settled in England. All of the myriad of recipes reflect this interesting heritage.
Relyn
Jul 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cookbook lovers, photography buffs, and cooks
Shelves: foodies-cooking
The photography in this book is wonderful. I just love it. I liked Apples for Jam better, but this was still remarkable. I like this one better because the recipes are more usable for me. Still, this one was wonderful and terrific for armchair cooks and travelers.
Meaghen
A beautiful book, but lacking a little the centre that her fabulous "Twelve" (Tuscan) cooking has. I love to read the mixture of memoir and recipes, and the photos are gorgeous, but I don't find I cook from it much.
Susan
Love her cookbooks, they read like stories with wonderful photo illustrations. This one I will definitely take out from the library again - the Greek lemon and oregano chicken sounds like a recipe to try soon.
Readstoomuch
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second cookbook that I have from Kiros and it is every bit and delightful as the first one I purchased. I have not actually read this through or even tried a recipe yet, but the photography and layout of the book is georgeous.
Jenny
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
A gorgeous collection of recipes. We have really enjoyed several meals from these pages and look forward to more. It is a bit of a culinary adventure as several nations foods are represented in a personal from-the-heart manner.
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Thai Food
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Good to the Grain: Baking with Whole-Grain Flours
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • Preserves (River Cottage Handbook, #2)