Start by marking “Cincinnatus: The Secret Plot to Save America” as Want to Read:
Cincinnatus: The Secret Plot to Save America

Cincinnatus: The Secret Plot to Save America

Washed-up golfer Matt Thurman dreams of returning to the PGA circuit. Instead, he finds himself framed for murder. Espy Harper, a Department of Justice attorney, wants to solve a mystery involving fixed golf tournaments. Instead, she uncovers a draconian plot with world-changing consequences. Together they race to find answers before it’s too late—for them and for the coun ...more
Published November 1st 2009 by Ternary Publishing (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cincinnatus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cincinnatus

Start your review of Cincinnatus: The Secret Plot to Save America
Daniel  Reed
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book does exactly what a suspense novel is supposed to do -- it keeps you turning the pages to find out what happens next.
When I first heard about this novel I was intrigued. How exactly do you mix fixing PGA tournaments, the secretive military society of the Cincinnatus, a plot of monumental proportions, middle eastern terrorists and the paranormal enigma of Ed Leedskalnin, the weird guy who built Coral Castle in Homestead, Florida (it is a 1100 ton structure supposedly built by this one
Colleen Estep
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller, review
Wow- absolutely loved this book! Not a big science fiction fan, however, this novel changed my mind. From page 1 that starts in 1938 I was hooked. Strong and very likable characters, though Matt Thurman has his moments. A washed up golfer for sure but he knows his come back is just around the corner...how could it not be. He just needs to clean up his act....then he meets DOJ attorney Espry Harper who is going to stop the "fixing" of PGA tournaments that she is sure is happening.What follows is ...more
Mark Miller
Sep 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I will admit to being pleasantly surprised. It is a daunting task to craft a story that manages to tie together a variety of unrelated, though interesting, topics - the supernatural, Founding Father history, professional golf, terrorism, entrepreneurship, secret societies - into a cohesive, entertaining story. For me, it hasn't been since I read one of Dan Brown's novels that I found myself as feverishly pressed to keep turning the pages. Took me only two days to get through it.

While
Amys
Jan 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I’m not a fan of golf and plots involving secret historical societies don’t usually spark my interest, however I have to say that this book is a real page turner. I really enjoyed it! It is a very exciting read.
First there is the intriguing prologue involving the paranormal abilities of Ed Leedskalnin, this eccentric man who built this real mysterious place in South Florida called Coral Castle – a monument to unrequited love by the way. Then you are plunged straightaway into the life of Matt Th
Mark Lacy
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
[July 6, 2012] I think it's always fun to read a fiction book whose setting is a city or locale in which you live or with which you are very familiar. I was drawn to reading "Cincinnatus" because I live in the greater Cincinnati area. If I was to judge this book by its cover, I would be soooo far off the mark. This is one of the few books I can honestly say I couldn't put down. A great thriller. Of great literary value? No, but then most thrillers aren't. But it was fun, and I enjoy a fun book n ...more
Don Snyder
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010_dtig
I imagine it's a task for writers to keep readers involved and engaged in a book that's 500 pages long, but author Rusty McClure does it with ease in his new book Cincinnatus. What you think might be a simple murder mystery on a golf course turns into a many-leveled tale of espionage, intrigue, and adventure (and several more murders.)

If you're a reader who enjoyed "The DaVinci Code" or a fan of "The Bourne Identity" (with a few James Bond moments thrown in for good measure) -- then you will en
Mel
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Just finished this one today. I picked it up at the library a couple weeks ago, not expecting much, after seeing a few billboards for it around town last year. It turned out to be a rollicking good read, pulling me in after just a few pages (a feat another book I was really looking forward to reading, "Rebels and Traitors" by Lindsey Davis, has not yet managed, about 1/3 of the way in) and sustaining that excitement almost all the way through.
Call it a spy thriller with allusions to fantasy, ca
Paulette
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book - a local, golf-centered murder mystery didn't seem like my cup of tea, but I was really pleasantly surprised. It's actually quite good - decently written and nicely paced, the story mostly holds together (there are some fancy coincidences, but those can be overlooked), I liked the local Cincinnati references, and they weren't too "insider-y" or intrusive, as they can be. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Melissa
A character in this book is named after our handyman. It's kinda fun to see Mike's name over and over again. Getting some interesting tidbits about history as well...

This was a fun read - mostly because of the name of our handyman being in it. Not really my genre (mystery, terrorism) but a nice departure from my "usual" reading list.

It took about halfway through the book before I was hooked, and then I couldn't put it down.
Dan
Jan 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was a pretty good "thriller". What made it a little better than the average thriller book was the setting. Being familiar with the places and buildings mentioned in the book makes you feel like you somehow have the inside story. But for people not from the Cincinnati area it's still a decent, quick read.
Judi Serrato
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
As I read through the first chapter I wasn't too impressed, but I stuck with it a few more chapters and I was hooked! Really great thriller.
Glen
Jan 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, fiction
First I have to say that I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I received a signed copy of Cincinnatus along with a kind note from the novel's publisher asking me to review the book when I had finished.---That being said, Cincinnatus was excellent. The novel hooked me in the first chapter and never let go. I stayed up way too late finishing the book on only the second day of owning it. Any book that can keep me turning pages even though I know my alarm will be going off in only a couple of ho ...more
Jessica
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
A couple of years ago my dad gave me this book and a non-fiction book about Coral Castle. I eyed both with skepticism. I started with the non-fiction book since it was a quarter of the length. I couldn't read it. It was dreadfully boring. I couldn't even read it while waiting for my car at the mechanic.

So, I wasn't exactly excited about the prospect of reading this book.

However, I was surprised to find myself in enjoying this book. There were parts that I didn't care for
Vicki Jaeger
This tried really hard to follow the DaVinci Code model of intrigue, information that could change the world as we know it, etc. It was okay, but not compelling enough by the ending. It kept my interest, but the ending went a bit wild.
J Crossley
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was happily surprised by the plot of this book. It was well-thought out and at the end the ends tied up nicely.
Mindy
Nov 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spot on with the Cincinnati locations.

I thought this was a great read up until the end. I just felt let down by the ending. Big, big buildup--very little resolution. Enjoyable overall.
Loren Palmer
Apr 08, 2015
Krysten
Mar 04, 2010
Carrie Fickies
rated it did not like it
May 04, 2013
Kara O
Feb 16, 2011
Debra Kellington
Dec 10, 2017
Reggie
Nov 01, 2011

• Rewire Your Mind: Stop Overthinking. Reduce Anxiety and Worrying. Control Your Thoughts To Make Better Decisions.
Rusty McCLure, is the New York Times bestselling author of Crosley, Cincinnatus, and Coral Castle.

He has a Master of Divinity degree from Emory university and a Harvard MBA.

An advisor and investor in numerous entrepreneurial projects, Rusty teaches the entrepreneurial course at his undergraduate alma mater, Ohio Wesleyan university.

He is the son of Ellen Crosley