Start by marking “The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami” as Want to Read:
The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami

The Journey Home: Autobiography of an American Swami

4.67  ·  Rating details ·  2,598 Ratings  ·  365 Reviews

Within this extraordinary memoir, Radhanath Swami weaves a colorful tapestry of adventure, mysticism, and love. Readers follow Richard Slavin from the suburbs of Chicago to the caves of the Himalayas as he transforms from young seeker to renowned spiritual guide. The Journey Home is an intimate account of the steps to self-awareness and also a penetrating glimpse into the

Published January 21st 2010 by Mandala Publishing (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey Home, please sign up.

Amrahs Jarihd
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I started reading this book somewhat grudgingly and after a tumultuous ride on a journey with the author, I came to this. It describes the author's confusion about whether God is personal or impersonal and how one day Srila Prabhupada removed his confusion. I had the same confusion regarding the nature of the divine and this removed my confusion as well. But unlike the author, I lean towards striving to attain the divine as impersonal through meditation. I will always remember this book for this ...more
Ryan
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Indiaphiles, religious people and lovers of a great story
I don't know how widely available this book is (published in 2008 in India by an Indian publisher), but I think it may explode in popularity! The author was a Jewish-American kid from the Chicago area that that was immersed in the hippy counter culture of the time. Then at the age of 19 decided to go on a quest to find spiritual and personal truth. The adventures that follow are NEARLY beyond belief! He flies to Europe with friends, hitchhikes from London hitchhikes through some of Europe's most ...more
Lisa Spinelli
Dec 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly amazing and inspiring story of the spiritual journey of Radanath Swami as he explores many spiritual traditions across Europe, through the Middle East and India to find his heart's calling as a Vaishnava monk.
Suchita
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very nicely written book that will motivate you and will make you witness the bitter realities of life.
Its a common story of a common man as you and me go through in our daily life. We meet impostors, quacks, charlatans .. etc etc. Some of us becomes a part of this society of black heart people , some accepts it as the only truth and exceptionally few fights back. Those exceptional souls don't let anyone to dilute their soul and corrupt their heart.
Some of the incidents from this book are a g
Madhu Gopal
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great read. Real page turner. When is the movie coming out?
Jyoti
Jul 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
My first autobiography read. It was gifted by a spiritual uncle at the time I lost my mother, as an attempt to help settle me...

The book took many weeks to finish because of distractions and preoccupations but I did seek it out despite much mental and physical confusion. It offered a fluid and believable read. Radhanath Swami's journey from a 19 year old American Jew boy to become Srila Prabhupada's follower 2 years later was full of tough travels, conflicting experiences and much exploration. I
Kavesh
Aug 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Truly marvelous book. I had been a interested in the book reading since childhood, and have read various books but this book is just a different one. Extreme adventures (and yet true!! these are not the incidences from fictional life but rather a real living person’s story!!), the unshakable determination of Radhanath Swami to undergo anything and everything to reach his goal of life and the style of the writing of author is so simple and humorous that one never finds the book tiring but always ...more
Erinmelissa999
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was totally loving this book but then I got pregnant and stopped reading it when I was about 2/3 of the way finished (with the book, not the pregnancy). The reason is probably because it was pulling me in the direction of a more solitary spiritual journey and motherhood will be the opposite of that--just the wrong energy for the moment. Maybe I'll finish this book when my kid starts kindergarten. :) I still give the book 5 stars and I think it's going to be a great read for any serious student ...more
Hanuman Dass
Jan 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: iskcon
Westerners especially those who have an Indian heritage can relate to the stories of great individuals like Radhanath Swami. He is a living saint, master and it has been my great fortune to have his darshan on two occasions.

This is an excellent book, and there is a wonderful insight into his meeting with Ram Dass and Neem Karoli Baba, my copy is covered with copius notes, and I have read this from cover to cover twice.
Yana Repkin
Feb 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A spiritual journey of an american teenager back in early 1970. Great first half of the book where he travels the world but second half of the book gets too slow, becomes a bit too exalted and starts to proselytize.
This book would be great for young people/teens because the author has a lot of "profound" revelations that most thinking educated adults would have already experience by the age of 27 (I hope).
This book made me remember the main commandment of George Carlin: "Thy shall keep thy reli
Dartsya
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Одна из самых лучших книг, которую я прочитала в этом году. Здесь всё: поиск себя, поиск жизненного пути, поиск Бога... При этом всё так искренне и чутко, что просто дух захватывает. То, как человек, нашел себя после концерта Джимми Хендрикса - это вообще отдельная история:)
Книга о многом заставила задуматься и однозначно рекомендую к прочтению. А ещё лучше - к прослушиванию! Её аудиоверсия сделана просто великолепно - с мантрами, духовной музыкой и соответствующей атмосферой. Снимаю шляпу!
Hoshi Bhad
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Anyone seriously or even casually looking for answers in life, this is the book. What should be "MY" role in this vast world, how can "I" help myself and others also, these questions were cleared when i read this book. Really a VERY GOOD one, positively inspiration and practical.

And definitely clears the concepts related to God and His-will, different religions.
Manisha
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography
Although I know the Himalayas is full of mysteries, it was nice to know it from the pen of an American. We Indians, from childhood, hear so much about people having super natural powers living peacefully in the high mountain range of Himalayas, beyond the reach of common people. It was like getting one more evidence in favour of all the legends.
Adhiraj Didwania
Over-exaggerated and over-blown. Radhanath indulges in shameless self-aggrandizement. His blind followers love this book as evident from the ratings and they couldn't be more deluded about an eccentric, egocentric, sanctimonious charlatan. This is more of an self-hagiography than an autobiography.
Anasuya
Mind-blowing! Heart touching! Spiritually challenging!
Iryna Lomachynska
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book. It tells about a man travelling all the way from US to India to find his destiny. Learning different religions, meeting diverse people and facing lots of challenges and surprises. What I personally took from this book is that everything that is happening is happening for a reason and that the misfortunes that we are facing are always leading us to something good and beautiful, even we cannot understand it at the beginning.
Shane
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Journey Home is a beautiful story of a gripping spiritual journey. The author's account of his obstacle-filled road to spiritual understanding is so detailed and fascinating that parts of it seem farfetched. However, interwoven in this exciting story of exemplary resilience are gems of wisdom for anyone seeking spiritual development. Overall, this was a good read.
Tania
Aug 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinatingnstory of an American young man who was searching for his spiritual path. The book is so well-written and inspiring that you feel blessed while reading it. It was very interesting to read about his meetings with such great people as Mother Theresa, Dalai Lama and others. It doesn't matter what religion you are in (or if you're not religious at all), the adventures and spiritual discoveries of this American Swami will not leave you indifferent. After this book I found a lot of inform ...more
Abhishek Pareek
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
The book starts off as a simple writing but as the author pens down his experiences while travellimg in search of answers to his spiritual quest, it gets interesting.

Many incidences made my jaw drop. The meetings with various spiritual personalities are interesting, more interesting is the author's learnings from each of it. Author's focus on God is inspiring and so is his meeting his Guru. The account of travel through India is interesting
Dhaval Mehta
Dec 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reads like an action-adventure film. You'll be able to visualize the amazing adventure with great ease. Written beautifully and in its own way, this book is an epic love story of Guru and disciple. Those unfamiliar with the strong bond between a Master and disciple will slowly be able to perceive the magnitude and awesome nature of this superbly unique relationship.

So entertaining and elevating!
Sudarshan
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's just amazing to read it. The reader takes us along his journey helping us to realize the most amazing truths of the world, which all the age old intellectuals has assimilated in their soul journey.
I am flabbergasted to perceive my soul journey in his....
Eagerly waiting for his ahead books... :-)
Liza
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
The writing was very weak at times, and at other times beautiful. I found myself on a roller coaster with this book. Sometimes disliking it, sometimes really enjoying it. Overall it is a beautiful story of his spiritual journey and there is something we can all relate to.
Kushagra Singh
Aug 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most enriching and fascinating books that I've read. I completed it in about 1.5 days. Radhanath Swami is a very elevated spiritual leader and reading about journey and his views about religion and God was enlightening.
Vikas Shinde
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a story of a young boy going through various dangerous situations, threats, tests, adventure, humor in order to at last find his way to his most cherished goal.....True Love
Alexandra
An interesting read. An exploration of personal faith/spirituality. The prose was a bit weak for me, but the story was fascinating.
Abhishek Jain
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Radhanath Swami is an inspirational figure. His story is not just an exciting read, but also full of knowledge.
Nathalie
May 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Abhinav Yadav
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am finding his journey extraordinary. Once in a while, we all feel the urge to escape this world and become a monk thinking that it would solve all problems. But the experiences in the book say that it's definitely not easier to be a pursuer of spirituality. The author sets out on a journey to Europe at the age of 19. Taking the cues around him and interpreting them in his own way, he lands in India. In a period of one year, he visits most of the places known for spiritualism and mysticism. He ...more
Natalia
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Эта книга попалась мне на глаза несколько лет назад на озоне, но на тот момент мне не хотелось столько тратить на книгу, в качествах которой я сомневаюсь. А вот в этом году она сама пришла мне в руки. Судьба интересно складывается и подкидывает новые знания и поводы для размышления.

Книга оказалась лучше, чем я ожидала. Нет, почти все о духовности и разных видах близости к богу в восточной традиции. Читать интересно не из-за этой темы, сквозящей через все произведение, а из-за истории человека, р
Himanshu PRIYADARSHI
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had a deep-rooted misconception that spiritual life is monotonously boring, but when one reads this adventurous autobiography, one realizes that the pursuit to spirituality is very charismatic and intrepid from the word go. However, even amidst all his spine-chilling challenges and near-death experiences , the author remains the very epitome of hope and unflinching faith in the Divine.
Just as the rising of sun dissipates the fog and the resultant problems, similarly this book has helped many o
  • The Science of Self-Realization
  • Yoga for Life: A Journey to Inner Peace and Freedom
  • Tiger's Heart: The Story of a Modern Chinese Woman
  • Du gyvenimai
  • Почерк Леонардо
  • How I Wrote My First Book: the story behind the story
  • Spiritual Madness: The Necessity of Meeting God in Darkness
  • Total Yoga
  • Love Everyone: The Transcendent Wisdom of Neem Karoli Baba Told Through the Stories of the Westerners Whose Lives He Transformed
  • Psychic Intelligence: Tune In and Discover the Power of Your Intuition
  • Everyday Wisdom For Success
  • How to Know God: The Yoga Aphorisms of Patanjali
  • At the Root of This Longing: Reconciling a Spiritual Hunger and a Feminist Thirst
  • For Married Women Only: Three Principles for Honoring Your Husband

• The Sea Around Us
    $11.99 $3.99
  • The Newcomers: Finding Refuge, Friendship, and Hope in an American Classroom
    $14.99 $2.99
“A dog will recognize his master in whatever way he dresses. The master may dress in robes, suit and tie, or stand naked, but the dog will always recognize his master. If we cannot recognize God, our beloved master, when he comes in a different dress from another religion, then we are less than that dog.” 65 likes
“Man cannot be enlightened through any organization, creed, dogma, priest or ritual, nor through any philosophical knowledge or psychological technique. He has to find it through understanding the contents of his own mind, through observation, not through intellectual analysis or introspective dissection.” 50 likes