Start by marking “My Little Polar Bear” as Want to Read:
My Little Polar Bear

My Little Polar Bear

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
This quintessential love book for parent and child -- a standout in the genre -- promises to become a perennial favorite for generations to come.

A winter wonderland awaits a young polar bear cub that emerges from its den for the first time. As the cub sets out on a dramatic arctic journey, it worries whether it has the skills to survive. But a parent's abiding presence and
Published October 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My Little Polar Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Polar Bear

Sophie Love Heart
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Seven year old: I like how the author made the cub's words white and the mama bear's words blue. That way I could tell who was talking. I liked how when they were in the snow, they were blending in so well. I could barely see them. I liked how in the end the polar bear said, "I love you." I also liked how the mama bear said how she would teach the baby bear what it needs to know. I also like how when they were swimming in the ocean, the author made them swim under the water and how the snowstorm ...more
Charlotte
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Charlotte would give this a three, Mama a four. She's maybe a little old for it, but I want to make sure we mix in some picture books with few words per page to give her a chance to start recognizing some words. I love this book, and it's simple palette of whites, greys, and blues. Plus, I'm always a sucker for parent/child stories. Something else I just realized now - even though scientifically the parent must be the mother, the word "Mama" is never used, so it could easily be a Papa polar bear ...more
crashqueen73
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-returns
This book is sweet and lovely but for me there are a lot of those kinds of books out there for children and this one just didn't grab me.

The illustrations are simple (mostly pale blue and white) and the writing sort of matches them. Pale.

My Little Polar Bear is not a book that I would be desperate to have on my children's book shelf. I certainly wouldn't want to read it more than once.

If we were learning about polar bears in an early childhood setting this book would be useful. Otherwise, it is
Chris Schoettmer
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, animals
This story is about a young polar bear cub that emerges from its den for the first time and it worries whether it has the skills to survive. But with the help of its mother it is able to have the confidence to survive. I think that this is a good book to show the powerful bonds between parent and their child. I think that kids can relate to this by thinking of the first day of school and how their parent can give them the confidence to try something new for the first time.
Jennifer Kelley
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Simple illustrations that are perfect for this winter Wonderland. The baby polar bear asks his parent "am I a polar bear"; which leads to an explanation of a few scientific facts about polar bears.
I liked how the font changed color depending on which character is speaking--this would make it a great read together.
Rhonda K
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lovely story that's really suited for bedtime reading. The artwork is simple and beautiful with subtle variations on same colors. Tells the simple story of a mama or papa bear with their cub explaining who they are, and that the parent will always love them. My son and I loved reading this together.
Samantha
A baby polar bear and his mother discuss the traits and qualities that make them polar bears while they assure one another of their love.

Digital media illustrations uses white and blue to show the remote cold environment in which polar bears typically live. PreK-2.
Rebecca
Mar 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddler and parent
Yup, I picked this up because it has a blue glitter cover. The text is simple but not great; it's the nearly monochromatic, graphic-design look of the illustrations that stands out. Good lap book for parents, or baby shower gift.
Jen
Feb 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
This was a cute story: a cleverly told tale that can reassure a youngster that he or she is loved. In the process, kids can learn a few interesting facts about polar bears via the questions the cub asks to find out if he/she is a polar bear.
Esme
Aug 25, 2012 added it
Lovely pictures of a polar landscape. The question "Am I a polar bear?" is wonderful in and if itself, but sets off an enjoyable dialogue between parent and child that ends with a reassurance of parental love.
Sandi Roe
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: lap-sit
This is a cute story of an insecure baby polar bear, whose loving mother is there to reassure him that he is in deed a polar bear. The mother assures the baby she will be there to teach him all the skills he will need to survive.
Vicki
Feb 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, pre-school
A sweet book about a polar bear cub and its mother.
Miss Sarah
Aug 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: arctic, polar-bears
A little polar bear learns from a grown up polar bear all about being a polar bear as they travel through the ice for the day. Baby and up but very sweet language
Tracy Morton
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beginner info about polar bears.
carissa
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended Ages: toddler - K
Charlene Mitchell
A cute story about a mother teaching her fun about becoming a polar bear.
jennifer  king
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
visual narrative, cute, for first readers. Award winning.
Ina
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully illustrated book with simple text filled with love. Little Polar Bear asks questions which his mother answers with patience and love.
Katie
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Cute!!
Liz
Jun 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Perhaps a good bedtime read for the youngest ones... a little polar bear questions who he is. Love the light blue and snowy illustrations.
Heather
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are beautiful, as is the message: becoming who/what you are is a process of change and growth, but your mother's love is constant.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, bears
This is good for those that like to read "Guess How Much I Love You" and other books of that sort. Only this one is about Polar Bears. Very sweet.
Jess