Start by marking “The Christmas Secret” as Want to Read:

(Christmas Hope #5)

When a struggling young single mother saves the life of an elderly woman, she sets into motion a series of events that will test her strength, loyalty, and determination, all the while setting her on the path to finding true love.

Christine Eisley is the mother of seven-year-old Zach and five-year-old Haley. Her ex-husband provides little, if any, child support and makes
Audio CD, 6 pages
Published October 13th 2009 by Macmillan Audio (first published September 19th 2009)

Start your review of The Christmas Secret
Erin
Nov 26, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: november-2018
As you all know by now, I'm a soulless lunatic. So my love of all things Christmas is peculiar and a bit strange. What can I say I'm a weirdo.

Christmas novels and movies are always sugary sweet. The Christmas Secret is almost too sweet. The town is filled with all the nicest and most generous people ever. I had to put the book down for a few days because I was afraid I would go into diabetic shock.

The Christmas Secret is about single mom Christine Eisley who is struggling to raise her two kids
Kathleen
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I loved this author's recent novel, The Good Dream, so I thought I'd try one of her shorter novels. Maybe it would have been better as a rapid reading experience where I could skim, skim, skim, but I listened to it. Ugh. Ugh. So much bickering, griping, squabbling. I didn't care for the transparent plot either.

But ....the worst thing? I didn't like Jason at all. I had no wish to see him turn over a new leaf, become more humane, soak up the true Christmas spirit. The author did an excellent job
 Readaholic Jenn
A heart-warming story.
Julianna
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Heartwarming Holiday Stories
Reviewed for THC Reviews
I can always count on Donna VanLiere to give me a heartwarming holiday read, and The Christmas Secret is no exception. I've absolutely fallen in love with the nameless small town where all her Christmas Hope books take place and would love to live there. The residents of the town really bring it to life, creating a warm, inviting atmosphere. They're always ready to lend a helping hand to those in need, and I love how all their lives intertwine into a beautiful, intricate
Staci
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Such a sweet Christmas novel! I especially loved Marshall, Miriam and Gloria.
Arlene
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one! Christmas miracles, the promise of love and the hope of something better. Perfect for the holidays!
Patty (IheartYA)
The ending was rushed and felt incomplete. At times there were so many characters involved that it was confusing. I read this because of the Hallmark movie. The movie was better. The book was short and sweet but not fulfilling.
Mom2triplets04
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great story. Great to have new characters experience love during the Christmas season. Love to see friendship develop more with old characters and the addition of children were so adorable. Also liked the appearance of old characters from time to time. Think I even cried once.
April
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things to do during the holiday season is to curl up with a wonderful, touching and inspiring book. Donna VanLiere has become such a tradition for me, or rather her books have. Each year I eagerly anticipate her newest release, which I gobble up within a couple of days and then I am left downtrodden because I know I have to wait another year for another treasure by her.

Each of Ms. VanLiere's stories are filled with the greatest of struggles, perseverance, warmth, the greatest
Shonda
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
During the holiday season, I enjoy reading a feel-good Christmas story. This season, The Christmas Secret was a perfect fit for me. Christine has been cynical for most of her life. She stopped believing in the miracles of Christmas a long time ago. Struggling to make ends meet, Christmas is now one more thing that will set her back and something she just can't afford. Christine wants to see and feel the beauty of Christmas once again, but unfortunately life and unexpected events have harden her. ...more
Betsy
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: z-2015-nov
Donna VanLiere does again. Another great story. 4 stars
{MyDearestClementine}
Loved the movie! Enjoyed the book too!
Ronda  Tutt
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I love all of Donna VanLiere's books, they are so heart felt and leave you either crying happy tears or your eyes misting for happiness at the end. All these books are christian based novels.

I've read all her books except for one and that is "Finding Grace" but I plan to get it because her novels are wonderful. Her other books are as follows:

Finding Grace
The Angels of Morgan Hill
The christmas Shoes - (my favorite)
The christmas Promise
The christmas Blessing
The Christmas Hope

Jacqueline J
This was just okay. Nothing particularly outstanding about the writing style mechanics or word choices. It was told partly in first person and partly in 3rd which I don't like and find a bit of a cop out. If you can't tell the whole story in 1st person then just use 3rd.

The story was nice and I guess you could call it heartwarming but it really had nothing new to say. It was predictable and overly full of coincidences.

There were some nice moments and it was a pleasant story. If you're looking
Nancy Brady
This is a wonderful story about the power of love to change people. What starts out as one disaster after another for Christine, a single mother of two young children who is trying to survive, becomes something more as she goes about her daily life. It is nearly Christmas and the people she meets at her new waitressing job open their hearts to her. A heartfelt tale.
Gina Shupp
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was #5 in the series and I think this was the best one. It told of real hardships and struggles that people face today and their triumphs to makes their lives better and more rewarding.
Jennie Louwes
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! From its first page to its last. It was true to life, real, and good. Nothing was stilted. The story just flowed.

The majority of the connections revealed I didn't see coming! So wrapped up within this book's pages I couldn't even begin to imagine what would happen next as I was so immersed and caught up in the story's unraveling as it took place with each page turned.

If you take this book, beyond story, it's text that should spur us into action. We all are capable of doing
Alanna
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great continuation in the series, for some reason i found it easy to put down though. It very well could be that it was just a busy time in life, I will definitely continue on!
Gail
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A heartwarming Christmas story that will melt your heart.
A must read for the Christmas season.
Kelly  Seifert
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet story .... light read ...more
Katrina Burchett
Angelia Christine Eisley’s husband left her two and a half years after the ‘I Do’s’. She had settled for the wrong man, and now she’s a single parent raising a son and a daughter. She puts up with irresponsible babysitters and she isn’t getting one penny of child support from her ex. Nothing ever goes right or if something does work out there is another problem right around the corner – this is what she believes. But then, she gets a job as a waitress at Betty’s Bakery & Restaurant –that’s ...more
Rayni
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rayni by: Favorite author
It was definitely an un-put-downable book. I read this in one sitting or as close to one sitting as I could get. I found it in the library, came home & sat in the car until it was too dark to see. I did have to put it down to do the mundane, go to the grocery, fix supper, check on my mother.

I felt like I was out of the loop though … people were mentioned & I didn't know where they fit in. A name would be mentioned & I would have to stop & search the data bank of my memory, "Who
Tiffany
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever read a book that is so amazingly good that it makes you want to be better, kinder, and more helpful. This was a sad and incredibly moving story. I loved every bit of it!!! What a great holiday story that makes you smile, brings a tear to your eye, and most definitely makes you want to help "move the boulder" for someone. Loved it!!! The book was clean. There were 2 swear words in the novel.
Margaret
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I enjoyed the story and there was more character study and depth to this installment of the Christmas series. There was an on-going miscommunication between several of the characters in regards to names and who was who but it added to the book. Though I think my interest started to wane at the very last part of the book.
Tamara
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Loved this book! What a great read. I felt so sorry for Christine as the book began and things kept going bad for her, so happy that it all turned around for her and her whole family. Of course as secrets were exposed her family grew by the end, I will not say any more so nothing is given away. Definitely a book that I'll be recommending to my friends. I will also read more of this author.
Alicia
Apr 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alicia by: Sandra
My friend dropped off 5 books by this author for me to read. They're a little too sappy for me, and I'd rather be reading Charles Dickens, but this was a sweet and heartwarming story (with as many amazing coincidences as a Charles Dickens book).
Tressa (Wishful Endings)
This is written about a struggling single mom who finds new family all around her: in a new job, when she helps someone out, and in a neighbor (without giving too much away). I was pleasantly surprised by this book and really enjoyed reading it.
Sherri Anderson
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These books are my Hallmark movies for the holidays. This story had a very good message.
Sam
Nov 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, donna-van-liere
Beautiful story, fast easy read. Will fill your heart w the spirit and blessings that we are all here together.
Loraine
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Donna Van Liere has captured the true spirit of Christmas in another wonderful Christmas story. Loved being back at Glory's Place with all the gang.

• A Season of Angels (Angels Everywhere, #1)
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Christmas Basket
  • Noel Street
  • The Snow Globe
  • The Mistletoe Secret
  • Catching Christmas
  • Christmas Letters (Blossom Street, #3.5)
  • Lost December
  • The Mistletoe Promise
  • Angels at the Table (Angels Everywhere, #7)
  • Dashing Through the Snow
  • A Dog Named Christmas (A Dog Named Christmas #1)
  • The Christmas List
  • The Noel Stranger (The Noel Collection, #2)
  • The Mistletoe Inn
  • Starry Night
  • Christmas with Tucker (A Dog Named Christmas #0.5)
Donna is a New York Timesand USA Todaybest-selling author. She's an in-demand conference speaker and gifted teacher and has 14 published books including four that have been adapted into movies.

Donna is the recipient of multiple industry awards including a Retailer's Choice Award for Fiction, a Dove Award, a Silver Angel Award, two Audie Awardsfor best inspirational fiction, a nominee for a Gold

Christmas Hope (9 books)
  • The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1)
  • The Christmas Blessing (Christmas Hope, #2)
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • The Christmas Note (Christmas Hope #6)
  • The Christmas Light (Christmas Hope #7)
  • The Christmas Town (Christmas Hope #8)
  • The Christmas Star (Christmas Hope #9)