Start by marking “Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5” as Want to Read:
Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,501 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
New Edition of the AAP consumer title that has shaped the health and well being of children for nearly 20 years
Published January 1st 2009 by American Academy of Pediatrics (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Caring for Your Baby and Young Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caring for Your Baby and Young Child

Ashley
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New parents
This is one of the best books for new parents.  It is full of all sorts of helpful info about everything.  I reference this book quite often.  A great gift for a new mom.
Tracy
Forget What To Expect the First Year, this book is way better. It's based on statistical evidence, has a user-friendly format, and clearly explains the developmental stages of your child. Plus, it has a huge topical index at the end covering everything from rashes and fevers to behavioral issues. It's the exact same advise your pediatrician would give you.

I've used this book again and again, whether to see if my child is reaching appropriate milestones or to check if a spot on their skin is ecz
Steph
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource for new parents. Suggested by our pediatrician. Includes age related development milestones to look for, nutrition and eating plans, and neutral parenting advice on just about everything.

Definitely recommend this for parents.
Roxana
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is an indispensable reference book for parents. It is not not a medicine book where you can find anything and with great detail. It is a book for parents that want to check or get a quick advice about behaviour and healthy concerns of their kids.

It is great specially for the first years as it gives a nice details of milestones that we have to look for. It is not as month specific as other books (such as what to expect during your baby first year)buy I like it a lot. I like the way the topics
Adriana
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adriana by: I found and searched this book out on my own, prior to getting it.
There have been times when I worried about my daughter. This is very normal. Not because anything was wrong but because she was my first child and I wasn't quite sure what to expect at each age. For example at 5 I was not aware of how much children forget and lose their train of thought. It helped me understand my daughter better and be more patient. Each year is so different an this book gives great insight.
Kristen
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is my "Baby Bible" as Taylor calls it--my go to book for a quick answer or a quick chapter read of the months my baby's in. Best of all it was free for joining the Publix Baby Club. Basic, untrendy, up-to-date answers without too many opinions. Just bare bone facts. I've yet to see a baby book that is as basic yet comprehensive that doesn't have what this one has in it. Did I mention it was free?
Kristen
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I haven't read this cover to cover, it certainly has helped me a ton with caring for my 3 kiddos, especially the first. With another on the way I will have to break it out again for sure. My sister-in-law gave it to me with my first telling me it was the "baby bible". She was definitely right.
Keri West
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The one and only book you need on baby care. It contains all the facts in a clear personable tone. There's no fads, hype, or excessive focus on rare maladies. I reference this book of the night to answer those small parenting fears: Does my child talk less than other kids? How do you swaddle an infant? What is the asprin doesage per weight again?
Heather Kelly
Aug 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will obviously need to keep referring to this book in the future.
David Mckee
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent resource for BABIES ... or rather, those that have babies.
Nalini Kumar
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
nice
Ziyun
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
As a non-native speaker, I find this book very valuable as a reference. It helps us tremendously in building our vocabularies so that we can communicate with paediatricians and/or google information more effectively.
Susie
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is strictly looking at the development of a child and great for consulting when you want advice on skills and health, it does not cover lefestyle choices like sleeping or wearing your baby, etc.
Rachel Willis
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book to reference. As a new parent, this book answers questions and alleviates fears.
Jenni
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: expectant parents & new parents
I really like this book. The information is presented in a very straightforward manner; no frills or gimmicks. It's a bit more academic than some childcare/parenting books, which appeals to me. I enjoy knowing why certain things happen (or don't), and this book shares more technical/medical info than some other texts I've read. That said, it's still a very easy read and handy reference.

side note:
My husband and I interviewed several pediatricians before E was born. We asked all for new parent r
Louisa
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best book on baby care. Is a bit thick, but the organization makes it easy to skip to the pages that are relevant to you. The book describes month by month the growth and development, basic care, and health and immunization alerts for your child. It also has a little section about what kinds of toys and activities are good for your child, which is something most other books do not provide. There is a detailed "encyclopedia" in the back about what to do in case an emergency or illn ...more
Keegan
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
A friend said she is afraid reading parenting books will just stress her out. Books that give TONS of advice that doesn't seem feasible do this to me, so I could relate. However, this book is more informative than bossy. It was helpful to know what my baby was seeing or around when my child would be walking, etc. My child is only a year old, but my sense is that the most useful part of the book is the first year. That's more because there's so much change during this time than anything else. Plu ...more
Adrienne Jones
This well-thumbed book our household go-to guide for all things baby. It saved us dozens of phone calls, internet searches, and moments of utter panic.

Though it may sound stupid, I didn't know how to bathe or dress an infant when we came home with our son. I had only changed 1 diaper before he was born. This book helped me learn how to dress a squirmy child, taught me about common childhood illnesses, feeding, and developmental milestones. It's a smart book and a must own for total noobs.
Colleen
Oct 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With a toddler and a newborn in the house, I find myself consulting this book pretty regularly to check on potential ailments and developmental expectations. Along with websites like Baby Center and What to Expect and several friends in the medical profession, I think it cuts down on the number of crazed calls to the base clinic/Tricare triage line, which I generally find frustrating anyway...

It's over 600 pages long so it's pretty exhaustive in terms of illnesses and milestones that it covers.
Amy
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-parenting
We first saw this book on the bookshelf of our pediatrician's office. It can be very scary when your kid is sick, but this book totally demystifies illness and makes it normal and not quite so frightening. Also, it has very well-written sections on child development at different ages. I find it very accessible and easy to read. It is basic and maybe a little bit traditional, but it's a great basic reference book.
Alexandra
I didn't read this whole book, mostly browsed it, but it's not the type of book you'd actually sit down and read cover-to-cover anyway. I checked it out from the library and will probably buy a copy of it soon so that I can have it on-hand for when questions come up. One thing that was bizarre was the illustration for how to swaddle a baby. I don't think the person who made the illustration read the text explaining how to do it. It seems like a dry book but a necessary reference.
Julia
Sep 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
This is a great book for new parents. I received mine as a hand-me-down from a neighbor but if I were to buy it on my own I'd get an updated version. It is not month-to-month like some other baby reference books I've seen (stages covered are longer periods) but I think this makes it more useful in actually watching your baby during those stages and anticipating milestones. Definitely dated advice in some areas but a fun, useful book in learning and watching your baby grow up.
Patrice
Well like Baby 411, this was informative (a lot of the same info actually, except that I finally know what a layette is now) and it did seperate fact and opinion. It also had the added bonus of explaining things up to five years of age. However, it is less recent than Baby 411, so it's info is less up to date and the authors are not quite so humorous or engaging. Also, the entire final third of the book is pure textbook reference on physical, social and emotional health.
Erin
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, parenting
Another indispensible part of my parenting library...it's not a book you sit down and read, rather it's more of a reference book (to look up your specific issue or read about your child's development at a particular age/stage).

This book was recommended by my pediatrician's office, and it's definitely been helpful for a lot of those "hmmm...I wonder if this is normal?" moments when I really didn't want to call the after-hours nurse.
Amy
Mar 28, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our pediatrician actually gave this to us when we had our first baby, and this book has proven to be a good resource. It is somewhat sterile and lacks the emotion and instinct of the Baby Book by Dr Sears, but at 2 am when I am trying to find an answer, this book usually has something for me. Accurate, clinical information from the AAP. Great stuff!
Teddee
Haven't looked at this in a long time. Probably keep it around as a reference book. At a certain point, as a parent, you start looking for more in depth books. Reference books like this are probably useful to new parents, and maybe even for us, but I just don't really turn to generalist books like this anymore for information on specific issues. Note: read through p248
Susiane
Apr 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is also a book with a lot of info. Its a baby encyclopedia that has everything from pregnancy to after your baby is born. I also inherited this book from my SIL. Love it. If youre someone like me who wants to know everything, this is it. It has the most up to date information from The American academy of pediatrics, so that makes me feel good.
Thoraiya
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, a friend just slammed "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and I realised I haven't rated any of the baby or parenting books that I actually did like.

This one is comprehensive. Sometimes you need comprehensive and sometimes you need the short version, but when I needed something a bit more in depth, this was what I usually reached for first :)
Kyle Pennekamp
This is the official publication of the AAP, and as such, is a good thing to have in the baby reference library. Takes you through the major stages of development, and what to expect / look out for in each, with a handy guide to common problems, sicknesses, etc at the back. I'm sure I'll be coming back to this at 9 months, a year, 2 years, etc.
Dyah
Aug 02, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: motherhood
lengkap kap kap! dari cara mandiin bayi, ciri perkembangan bayi per periode, sampai mengenali dan mengantisipasi berbagai penyakit anak-anak, kapan harus ke dokter, kapan harus panik..

beli di booksale mid manhattan library, setebel ini cuma sedolar. Ditemeni buku ini, ngurus baby sendirian ga perlu panik oy..senangnyaa..
Total Age Repair is best aging care here 1 1 Jan 29, 2018 11:50PM
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Baby and Child Care
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics New Mother's Guide to Breastfeeding
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Child of Mine: Feeding with Love and Good Sense, Revised and Updated Edition
  • The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • The Baby Food Bible: A Complete Guide to Feeding Your Child, from Infancy On
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Smart Medicine for a Healthier Child: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Natural and Conventional Treatments for Infants and Children
  • What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)

Nonfiction Deals

• The Second World War
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of Wealth & Power
    $16.99 $3.99
  • Dear Madam President: An Open Letter to the Women Who Will Run the World
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Recovering: Intoxication and Its Aftermath
    $15.99 $3.99
  • Theft by Finding: Diaries (1977-2002)
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Through My Eyes
    $13.99 $1.99
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks
  • Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith
  • Eating on the Wild Side: The Missing Link to Optimum Health
  • Love, Ellen: A Mother/Daughter Journey
    $10.24 $1.99
  • Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade
  • Thinkertoys: A Handbook of Creative-Thinking Techniques
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Saving Alex: When I Was Fifteen I Told My Mormon Parents I Was Gay, and That's When My Nightmare Began
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom
    $5.99 $1.99
“The first and most important “immunization” is starting to breastfeed your baby as soon as possible after the baby is born.” 0 likes
“You are not obligated to believe everything you hear or read. In fact, one of the purposes of educating yourself is to protect your child from advice that does not fit your family.” 0 likes