Start by marking “Pink Me Up” as Want to Read:
Pink Me Up

Pink Me Up

For pink-obsessed Violet Bunny, attending the Pink Girls Pink-nic and Tea Party with her mama is the best day of the year--you should see her outfit! It's always been girls-only, and pink-pink-pink. But when Mama wakes up with pink spots, the day seems ruined--until Daddy steps in to take her place. But Daddy is a boy, and not at all pink. What to do? Why, pink him up, of ...more
Published February 23rd 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Pink Me Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Me Up

Kathryn
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Does the world really need another pink picture book!? Now, I love pink. And I love being girly, but I admit to performing a bit of an eye-roll when I saw this one hot off the oh-so-pink presses. But, you know what, it's cute! And it is saved from being redundant by the fun twist in that it is actually DADDY who has to get "pinked up" for his daughter's Pink Girls Pink-nic when Mom is sick and can't go. It's so adorable how he bravely comes to the rescue, fun and creative when his daughter Viole ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: girly girls who like pink and boys & girls who aren’t so sure about pink
Recommended to Lisa by: Kathryn
Pink should be pretty. Except for the hilarious cat, Pinkie, and some of the pink and pinked-up clothes, I wasn’t a huge fan of the illustrative style. And, oh, I like pink, but a couple pages practically made my eyes hurt; luckily, just a couple.

The story is very sweet though, although I have mixed feelings about the gender issues. I do love how mama can’t go to the pink picnic because of her pink spots illness and I do like how daddy steps up, and how daddy has fun too, and how all the females
Allison
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Harper, Charise Mericle Pink Me Up, 40 pages, Knopf Books for Young Readers; Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G

The invitation has been on the fridge for months and the day of the Pink Girls Pink-nic has finally arrived. But when mom wakes up she is too sick to go. What will happen now? Fortunately, Dad steps in. But can Dads wear pink? Of course! Dads look smashing when they are pinked up by their daughters! This is a delightful story that takes the idea that pink is only for girls and tur
Denise
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If you know fans of Fancy Nancy, Pinkalicious, etc. etc. they must have this book. When young bunny's mom gets sick and can't take her to the pink-nic, she decides "today is the worst day ever." This is a two-page spread you have to see, absolutely hilarious. When papa bunny offers to take her to her party the young, distraught girl tells him something very important "daddy, you're a boy!" As luck and ingenuity would have it, daddy gets pinked up and they have a wonderful time.
Destinee Sutton
Mar 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty cute story about a little girl bunny who seriously loves pink. She's looking forward to a special "pink-nic" day with her mom. But because her mom is sick, her dad substitutes. Can dads wear pink? Uh, heck yeah they can!
Amy Layton
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Oh man, what a great father-daughter book about being supportive of your daughter's interests.  After having a bit of a goth phase in middle school and high school, I'm absolutely loving the color pink now that I'm an adult, so clearly, you all can see why I chose this at my library.  Understandably, pink has been a color of contention as of late, especially with how forced it is upon young girls, but I see this as a celebration, especially since I'm not a young girl, and many things marketed to ...more
Carina
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My mom and dad got a kick out of this book because it sounds like I could have written it! The bunny could have been me because I looove pink. I’m probably going to have a pink-nic with my mom this summer and I’d love to “pink up” my daddy.
Kaitlyn Branch
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is warming because it shows the lengths a dad would go for his daughter, it also shows that "pink" isn't just limited to being feminine.
Lauren
Aug 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute book. I love the idea behind it that EVERYONE can wear pink. I also love how the dad steps up and is so willing to wear pink and decorate his clothes pink.
Anna Marie
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very pink party is planned. Oh no, who will go with her to the party! Great fun.
Julie
May 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Violet wakes up and declares that it’s going to be the best day ever, as she and her mother are attending the "Pink Girls Pink-nic" today. But when she wakes her mom and she’s covered in pink spots, it turns out this is the worst day ever, because her mom is sick and they’re going to miss the pink-nic. Then her dad offers to take her, but she reminds him that he’s a boy, and “Boys are NOT pink.” Her dad doesn’t give up, though. He tells her to “Pink me up,” and with lots of creativity, she does ...more
Chrissy
Sep 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Three stars, most of which are because I adore pink.

In a nutshell, this story really makes no sense.

A kid bunny, who happens to be playing with a walking carrot, decides to go to an all-girl pink event. In a tragic turn of events, mom bunny comes down with something resembling chicken pox. Mom bunny smears green toothpaste on her face and informs kid bunny that sadly, she must find someone else.

So kid bunny explores her options until daddy bunny declares that he is secure in his manhood and wou
Elizabeth
Dec 15, 2015 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
I like that it's the mom's idea for the dad to take the girl to the picnic (because obviously, when one parent is sick the other parent is gonna fill it) and that the dad is totally like, "Boys can be pink" and has a pink tie and is amenable to the kid pinking him up even further (because obvs, if your kid wants you to play dress up, you play along).

I like that no one fusses about Daddy going to the "Pink Girls Pink-nic" -- that it's just about lots of pink and the other moms are totally affirmi
Holly
Funny! Violet is beyond excited about going to the Pink Girls Pink-nic, but Mom is sick and can't go. So Dad offers to go, but the only pink thing he owns is a tie. Sooo, Violet "pinks him up." Very cute. (I especially like Violet's orange toy carrot and her orange cat, who does NOT want to be pinked up.) Good for a storytime w/ a pink theme, or a clothing theme, and you could pink up your own clothes as you told the story (by taping pink paper circles on your shirt, putting strips of pink tape ...more
Matthew
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: daughters-books
As a father of two daughters, I appreciated a book that shows the lengths a daddy will go to for his little girl. Sometimes we have to sit in on tea parties, help dress up dolls, and rescue the princess.

One thing I didn't like: After learning her mommy was sick, the little bunny threw herself on the floor and declared it the worst day ever. It struck me as a little over-dramatic. Things do not always go as planned, and when they don't, I hope my daughters learn to handle it better than this bun
Anne
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Violet Bunny is ecstatic about going to the pink-nic and tea party with her mom. Unfortunately, her mom gets sick, so dad is going to go instead. Violet looks at him very seriously and says "Dad, I have to tell you something. You are a boy." He takes it all in stride and lets Violet "pink up" all his clothes for the pink-nic. All the other girls are so jealous and wish they could pink up their dads. Super sweet and fun illustrations.
Dolly
Aug 03, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, pets, childrens
Very cute, very pink story that shows how Dads can save the day. Our girls just loved it and we took turns reading each page - it was a real boost for our five year old to be able to read some of the sentences on her own. We enjoyed reading this book together and we've read this a couple of times.
Laurina
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
A little girl is going to "pink" party and her mom can't come, so she has to take her dad and get him pinked up for the party. Really cute! It was fun for my husband to read this to my little girl who loves pink.
jacky
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
This was read at the preschooler story time today. The story's message is that dads can fill in mom roles, even wearing pink at the "pinknic." It was fun how they pinked up the dad, and touching that he was completely willing to do so. A great book for girly girls and their fathers.
Christie Suh
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it
A girl is supposed to go to a pin-themed picnic with her mom but her mom can't go because she gets sick. Her dad decides to go instead. they draw pink polka dots and put pink stickers on his clothes and have a great tme at the picnic.
Bea Elwood
Oct 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: bebe
Does a much better job than most at dispelling the notion that pink is not just for girls, that boys (like daddys) can wear and even like wearing pink. I liked the illustrations and the steps they took to make daddy pink enough to go to the Pink-nic.
Natalie
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Cute little story. The mom is sick so she can't make the "pink" party. Luckily the sweet daddy fills in (although the little girl doubts his ability to get all pinked up). Yay for dads who go to great lengths for their kids!
Christiana
Jul 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sweet-pic-books
So cute for a pink storytime or a father/daughter storytime!
Melanie
Can Violet make her father pink enough for the Pink-Nic?
Stacey
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Read this with my girls and it was so cute. They laughed and really enjoyed it.
Kathy
Mar 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
More like 3.5 stars. My daughter liked it simply because she likes pink. Terrible writing but cute concept.
Maria Goldstein
Such a cute book! A perfect gift for Father's Day--so Daddy has an "excuse" to read to his little girl!
Cheryl
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, pink
super cute illustrations from Charise Mericle Harper. When Mommy is too sick to take Violet to the Pink Girls Pink-Nic, Dad is a willing substitute, donning all the pink he can find.
Marissa Elera
The challenge to gender normativity presented here is weak and dissatisfying. Our young readers deserve better than this junk. Charise Mericle Harper is better with illustration than story.
Kristin Sprague
Jan 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
a pink animal wearing a tutu?