Start by marking “Batman: Joker” as Want to Read:
Batman: Joker

Batman: Joker

(Batman)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  30,643 ratings  ·  1,195 reviews
„Ne znam detalje, ni kako ni zašto. Znam samo da je on...
DŽOKER je pušten iz ludnice ’Arkam’...”

Tako počinje ovaj oštri uvid u ludi svet i poremećeni um Džokera – krunisanog kralja gotamskog podzemlja.

Džoker je izašao iz ludnice, ali iako se smeje, nije nimalo srećan. Dok je bio odsutan, njegovi kriminalni saradnici su iseckali njegovo parče kolača i prodali ga budzašto –
Published 2009 by Panini (first published November 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.
Sam 122 pages in total, but it's a graphic novel, so it goes by quickly.…more122 pages in total, but it's a graphic novel, so it goes by quickly.(less)
Surojit Dass Yes. But like other characters in the movie, his role was under developed and unlike the Novel, he has no point of view in the movie. May be, WB had a…moreYes. But like other characters in the movie, his role was under developed and unlike the Novel, he has no point of view in the movie. May be, WB had a plan to continue with Leto for a long time and thus introduced the Frost character.(less)

·  30,643 ratings  ·  1,195 reviews

Start your review of Batman: Joker
Anne
Plotwise, I thought this was kind of overrated.
It's ok.
Not amazing. Not mind-blowing.
Not OHMYGODTHATCHANGEDTHEGAME.
It's ok.
The gist is that Joker gets released from prison because he's 'not crazy' anymore. <--what the actual fuck? That's not science.
Anyway. The next few weeks or so is told through the eyes of this low-level thug who volunteered to pick him up.

description

The book seems to be a more realistic crime tale than a superhero comic, and the tone would fit just about any gritty cop show on tv.
Jeff
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Seriously. Being The Joker is no laughing matter.

The Joker left the campy, groovy ‘60’s in the dust some time ago. Maybe rearranging Robin’s (Jason Todd) hairline with a tire iron was a turning point for him. Who knows? Let’s leave that debate for the comic book scholars. The family friendly cartoon version usually portrays him as 25% Insanity – 50% Madcap humor – 25% Menace.

Brian Azarello plays with these percentages a bit, but doesn’t let you in on the formula. Sure the crazy is still there, t
Sean Gibson
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We’ve all read (or seen) the story before: the savvy but borderline crazy street-level crimeboss goes about his day, protecting his turf, extorting money, consuming copious quantities of drugs and alcohol, skinning a guy in a strip club, and having some laughs. It’s equal parts scary and depressing, and maybe even a little bit thrilling.

This time around, instead of being some slick-haired mobster type, our antihero is the Joker. Does that make the story scarier? More depressing? More thrilling?
Chad
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
The Joker is let out of Arkham and looking to reclaim his turf. This isn't your typical Joker story. It is in fact an Elseworlds tale without the label. This is Batman's Rogues reimagined as rival gang leaders and street thugs. The story is told through the eyes of a two bit criminal, Jonny Frost, as he looks to upgrade to the big time by volunteering to be Joker's driver. This allows us to see the Joker at his most menacing, a compete psychopath. He's clearly based on Heath Ledger's Joker, all ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I thought this was a pretty good story. I didn't think the graphics were too great but there was something about the story I really liked. It seemed sort of laid back to me but still the Joker if that makes any sense.

Jonny Frost gets to pick up the Joker when he gets let out of Arkham. Jonny hangs out with the Joker and takes him all around. He tells the story in his perspective. I mean that's not the whole story with Jonny telling it, he just tells his thoughts as well.

We get appearances from
Sam Quixote
Oct 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In this one-off non-canon book, writer Brian Azzarello and artist Lee Bermejo, both extraordinary artists, imagine a more realistic take on Joker partly in the style of Chris Nolan’s “Dark Knight” film. The story is told through the eyes of Jonny Frost, a low-level thug sent to pick up a newly-released Joker from Arkham Asylum. Joker sets about reclaiming his criminal empire against Two-Face with the help of Killer Croc.

Re-reading this 4 years after I first picked it up, the book still retains
Bryce Wilson
Dec 14, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Welcome to the most overhyped Graphic novel of the year. Boring, pointless, and containing nothing interesting to say about The Joker either as an Icon or a Character. Boring, both over and under plotted, and with art that crosses the line from simply ugly to fucking stupid (Gotta Love 2 Fast 2 Furious Riddler).

Those hyping it as the next Killing Joke are kidding themselves.
Jan Philipzig
Off the Damn Side of the City, Man!

“The more successful the villain, the more successful the picture,” Alfred Hitchcock once observed, and that rule of thumb is arguably even more relevant for comic books than for movies. The Joker is usually described as the greatest comic-book villain of all time, yet he is often written as little more than a clownish, spectacularly absurd nut case who happens to be obsessed with keeping the Batman on his toes. Not all that interesting.

Occasionally, though, a
Donovan
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: literally everyone

Thank you, Brian Azzarello, for this Joker mini series. Batman only has two scenes, so this book is one for the villains, pure Joker.

Azzarello creates a low level thug named Jonny Frost (read: Joe Chill?) who narrates and serves as Joker's right hand man. Let me tell you, Jonny sees some wild shit. So wild, at one point he stands on a rooftop edge for an entire afternoon he's so dumbfounded at what's happening. Yeah, it's pretty intense.

What's most brilliant about the writing is the Joker is a
Carlos De Eguiluz
3.25

Tras la liberación del Joker del asilo Arkham, este se ve en la necesidad de recuperar a toda costa aquello que le pertenece: su ciudad, Gotham.

Visto desde los ojos de su nuevo esbirro, nos percatamos de una nueva visión del malvado villano, posiblemente, esa que sólo sus más fieles seguidores son capaces de ver.

A lo largo de la entera extención de la novela nos encontramos con una historia más bien densa, sin ese toque característico de humor que siempre parece estar presente en el hombre
Seizure Romero
I don't understand why so many panties are damp for this (or for the latest Dark Knight movie for that matter, but that's another argument). The art is good but not great. Artistically, the Joker here is obviously modeled after Heath Ledger's. The story is ok. The Joker gets out of Arkham Asylum and goes around killing people? Quelle surprise. I guess it's 'edgy' if you don't get out much, but I really didn't see anything new here. Telling the tale from the viewpoint of the henchman-wannabe-bada ...more
Jim Ef
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
7.8/10
Even if the Joker is in the asylum , it doesn't mean the city is not his anymore and now that he is out, people going to find that out the hard way.
This is quite different from other stories i read with Joker, here we see a raw, gritty and more realistic version. Basically he is a mentally unstable crime boss that is going to make his hands dirty in order to take back the control of the city. This is one of the scariest versions of the character, there is nothing charming here just a very
Batman
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite protagonist, but good insider information.
Paul E. Morph
Brian Azzerello tries to give Joker the Ed Brubaker ‘Criminal’ treatment and it works reasonably well but I wasn’t ever really blown away.

When the artwork was at its best, it was really good. Unfortunately, it was also wildly inconsistent.

While this wasn’t a bad read by any stretch of the imagination, for me, it failed to live up to all the hype. Still, I don’t regret buying it.
Mindi
Dec 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of the darkest Joker books I've read up to now. This book is really more about Joker being the biggest crime boss in Gotham rather than his ongoing battle with Batman. I think of Joker being more obsessed with Batman than money or who has the most clout amongst the criminal element of the city, so this one was a bit of a different take for me. It's a good story, even though it seemed over familiar as far as crime stories go. The art is pitch black as well. This isn't my fa ...more
Richard
Brian Azzarello's graphic novel tells a gang war story set in Gotham City and focuses on The Joker after some dumbass at Arkham Asylum granted him an early release and he just strolls out of there of his own accord. The story is told through the eyes of a two-bit, low-level hood named Jonny Frost, who's the only one with the balls and ambition to pick up The Joker on his release and join him on a rampage through the Gotham City underworld to re-stake his claim.

The stand-out element in this scuzz
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
This is a dark comic with a Heath Ledger look-alike Joker.

description

And I dare say it's a comic about Jonny Frost since it's told from his point of view.

description

As I said it's a dark comic with a really scary Joker. And I have to say I prefer the classic Joker with the purple suit and his jokes. This one is just a madman without a funny bone in his entire body.

Also, there's Harley Quinn.

description

She's reduced to a stripper who doesn't have a single line in the entire comic. That doesn't work for me as Harley is the reason
Sud666
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
The Joker is one of the great Batman villains. While others from Penguin to Two Face are to be considered dangerous criminals, none match the Joker for sheer bloody minded havoc.

The Joker has been released from Arkham (for some stupid reason) and Johnny Frost has chosen to be his flunky. Frost walks down a dark path of madness and horror as he learns just what it means to work for the Joker. Azzarello's Joker is awesome!

Dark, humorous and completely bat-shit crazy. As is said in the story, for t
Ronyell

Introduction:

After reading the classic “Batman” tale, Batman: The Killing Joke I wanted to read more stories about one of Batman’s most infamous villains, the Joker! So, I went ahead and picked up Brian Azzarello’s take on the Joker “Joker” and while it has many slow scenes, it was a truly interesting take on the psychotic mind of the Joker in a more dark and gritty way that I would have never imagined possible!

What is this story about?

This story is being told from the viewpoint of one
Greg
Apr 20, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, dc
This is a book about the Joker, bet you didn't guess that from the title, right? It's the Joker (or is it The Joker?)from that movie that the guy who did Memento and which stared Patrick Bateman and that gay cowboy who overdosed on pills down a few blocks from here in Manhattan.

Did I mention I'm at work? And that I'm so fucking bored?

If I were the Joker I would have just killed the man who just bored me so much with his very uninteresting story of why he wants a test prep book. It's time like
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Joker by Brian Azzarello is one of these graphic novels you cant take breaks off you will gobble it up in a day.
What a novel !
Did you ever wish for a graphic novel based only on joker and no one else but joker?
Well, in this graphic novel Azzarello hands us this wish on a golden plate.
So, the joker has convinced his doctors that he is sane and they can release him and he gets released, only to find out that all his business have been split between different crime lords.
Its weird enough that by pa
Yashaswini Malik
Dec 21, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was disturbing. I know that Joker's supposed to be disturbing. What disturbed me wasn't just Joker's behaviour. There were a few things.

1) The portrayal of women as playthings, as objects.

2) Harley Quinn- Her character has always been such a strong one. But in this book all she does is stand in the sidelines coming to the front whenever Joker needs her to spend the night in his bed.

3) This line:

"There will always be a Joker. Because there's no cure for him. No cure at all...just a Batm
Stephen
2.0 stars. Overall, I did not really care for this one. Other then a few decent moments of Joker acting the consummate psychopath (specifically the random break in to the old couple's apartment which was a pretty shocking scene) this book had very little to offer. Not bad enough to warrant 1 star, but I certainly didn't like it enough to rate it any higher than 2. ...more
Jedi JC Daquis
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joker by Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo is not a study of the Clown Prince of Crime. That is The Killing Joke. This one is more grounded, a gritty crime story (with a whiff of film noir) told from the perspective of his trusted henchman, Jonny Frost. So there is no groundbreaking stuff that happened here, just a slice of life, the life of a deranged murderer.

The overall mood of Joker, if summarized into four adjectives is gritty, harsh, dark and dirty. The Azarrello-Bermejo tandem is the perfec
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)

You can find my review on my blog by clicking here.

It's one thing to know someone by their reputation but it's another to see what they are about for yourself. One's imagination is enough to perpetually reinforce our image of a person to the point where we believe what we tell ourselves despite what reality has to say. The Joker is one of those individuals whose reputation precedes him and the mere mention of his name sparks a fury of preconceptions regarding him, whether it's what he's accompli
James DeSantis
I'll give credit to the "idea" of it all. Watching a more realistic Joker is never a bad thing. Well, unless it's boring. In which case this book is.

SO we start off with a low level thug picking up Joker from prison after somehow getting out on "good behavior" or "not insane" anymore. Cause that's how it works in Gotham. If you killed hundreds but promise to be good from now on, you get out...right...

So we go through the daily routine of Joker the gangster. Slapping up some people, using his pe
Sesana
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhumans
Tough book. For some reason, Azzarello decided to interpret Joker through the lens of a gritty gangster movie. There are Bat villains that would fit into that prism nicely. Penguin, for example, or Two Face, both appearing. Joker? Not exactly. Riddler? Didn't buy it. Killer Croc? Um... The story itself would have worked, if it wasn't tied to the existing Batman villains. And starting your story with Joker getting released (not escaped, actually released for not being crazy anymore) from Arkham d ...more
Danni The Girl
I thought this was a stand alone read, I found it confusing. Jonny Frost is a pointless character. There’s too much thinking from him and not enough from Joker. Didn’t really like this.
What batman says at the end is good though
André
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joker is out of the Arkham asylum. He's not crazy anymore (according to the asylum specialists) and was mysteriously released. Our dear protagonist, not happy about what's happening in the city, reunites with his fellow scoundrels, in order to re-establish himself in the Gotham's crime world.
The tainted town of Gotham will suffer a brutally period of manic crimes, revenge and onslaught. Joker is back and is eager to get his assets back, especially, his stolen assets from The Penguin, The Riddle
Cassie  R. (cassie-loves-reading)
I would round this up a bit to a 2.5 if Goodreads let me. The artwork wasn't my favorite, the style is harsher than I prefer. It wasn't bad though and the colors were great. The story left a bit to be desired. It didn't feel very complete and there certainly could have been more. I would have liked there to be more information on each of the characters. I liked seeing Harley in this but was greatly disappointed by the fact that she didn't even get any lines, she just hung around in the backgroun ...more

• Batman: The Killing Joke
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
  • Batman: Noël
  • Batman: Year One
  • Kingdom Come
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B

Batman (1 - 10 of 373 books)
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 1
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 8
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 9
  • The Batman Chronicles, Vol. 10

News & Interviews

“Joker: I don't mind you saying that, Johnny. Sometimes, I need to hear the obvious... now is not one of those times, though.” 3 likes