Start by marking “Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)” as Want to Read:
Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)

Under the Boardwalk

(Costas Sisters #1)

Ariana Costas may be a college professor in Vermont, but she's still a Jersey girl at heart-at least according to her lovable, eccentric Greek family. Then her twin sister, Zoe disappears and her Jersey roots tug hard. Soon Ari is back home, ducking bullets and, to her chagrin, getting rescued by a hunk in a black leather jacket. Detective Quinn Donovan takes one look at ...more
Published June 8th 2004 by Warner Books (NY) (first published January 1st 2004)

Start your review of Under the Boardwalk (Costas Sisters #1)
Cheri
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am a Carly Phillips fan through & through. Many did not like this series, but I did. It still has that awesome humor that she is known for, sexy scenes, and quirky characters. I liked the story plot and all the characters....especially Spank :)
Jani
Feb 17, 2012 rated it did not like it
All i can say is . . . thank goodness that's over.
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
Amy
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
50 pages in and I just cannot take any more. Some potential, the missing twin and eccentric family, but the writing is lousy, the characters hard to believe, and the insta-lust! UGH. What the heck?
No thank you.
I hoped having a college professor as a main character would finally turn the typical Any Woman chick flick cliche heroine into someone intelligent, but I see no evidence of Ariana's extended education. And I can't stand Quinn's hard knock flashbacks. Okay, he's a tortured hero. ENOUGH!
Janet Robel
This is cute, but I was hoping for a more beach type read. I think Spank the monkey was the star of this book.
Diane Morasco
Fun! What a quirky cast of characters. I laughed so much my sides ached. Phillips definitely knows how to blend humor, hi jinks & searing heat into 304 pages.

Brava, Ms. Phillips for bringing on the smoldering sexual intensity. Whoa, baby!

Under the Boardwalk weaves together a tapestry that is rich w/ lovable, eccentric & vibrant characters. The action is endless & the plot fast-paced.

I loved Ari & Quinn. Spicy... spicy now! Oh, I'm sorry, Quinn came to mind ;p. Whew! Is it hot in
Ericka Johnson
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Well Carly Phillips did it again. I read this book in 2 weeks and one of the best reads. She kept me hanging I was not able to guess what happened to Ari's sister. I also liked the way she tied together the missing of the twin sister, the monkey, Sam and the love story of Ari and Quinn all into one book. This is why I love Carly Phillips. I highly recommend this book. I guess everyone has someone crazy in their family and the family she has created for Ari is not only different but one that ...more
Barbara ★
I was bored from the first chapter and if I had another book with me today would have dumped this one instead of forcing myself to finish it. Too many unrealistic things going on. Insta-love is so overdone and not done well here. Ariana is a twin. Hero knows the other twin and doesn't have any feelings for her but upon seeing Ariana he's in love. It just didn't fly for me.

Anyway, about what I expected from chick lit.
Penney
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
A fun, light story but there were too many questionable and unrealistic things going on to make it truly enjoyable. And why is Ari the bad guy in everything and the only one who needs to change? Meh, not my best read, but not my worst. I give it a low 3/5 stars.
Christie
Apr 17, 2008 rated it liked it
This one was a little different from most of Carly's books, it was not as enjoyable as her others but still a good read. It was a little hard to follow and stay interested, not as sexy as her others!
Catharine
Aug 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
What was I thinking when I picked out this book? The characters have as much depth and finesse as muslin sheets. The author's voice is as flat and as irritating as computer-generated voice mail greetings. And it all goes downhill from there.
Kristine
Apr 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
It was boring, I don't know why I even finished it. No plot, shallow characters
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I really didn't care for this book; luckily it was a shorter read at under 300 pages. By the time I realized it didn't like it, I was already 45% of the way through and didn't want to DNF it, because I did want to find out what happened.

The plot was interesting and I liked that part. Reminded me a bit of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich where bad things are happening, but they don't feel that series. There is no humor though, at least nothing I found particularly funny.

What
Roxie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun, quick read...
Big Greek family, twin sisters - one a professor, one a federal agent - one missing, one looking for her; a handsome undercover cop, his buddy, a runaway girl looking for a family, and a monkey...What can possibly happen when you introduce mobster?
Take a few hours to read this, and you'll find you cannot figure it out until the end!
Stef
Read books 1 & 2 within days of each other and they were awesome books.
Action, romance, laugh out loud humor in areas, MF, Family drama, Spank & her tricks. Just fun books to read.
Book 1 about Ari & Book 2 about Zoe.
I enjoy reading books by Carly Phillips in between the other genres I enjoy.
Jenn Post
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Fun , and entertaining . Lots of laughs , and LOVE
Catherine
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Loved the Costas family and Quinn. It was hard to understand Ari. She wants to find her sister but has too many personal issues. Still this was an easy read.
Susan Leas
May 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not a book I picked for myself. I found it pretty shallow and didnt see the moral of the story. ...more
Deborah
Sep 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fun-interesting
A little romance, a little mystery and some verbal (usually) sparring. What's not to like for some light reading? I won't read it more than once, but it was Fun.
Judy van Ryn
Jul 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. It had comedy, tragedy, romance and suspense. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. A great read.
Stephanie Knisely
Good fluff read. Kind of a Stephanie Plumb kind of feel.
Debbie Davis
Sep 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Did not finish.
Ginger
Oct 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Bad....really really bad. Typical story. I think I would enjoy it more if the author hadn't taken such license with her setting. I KNOW Atlantic City and the surrounding area. I had a hard time getting past that. The dialog was dull. Her story could have been better.
Kathy
Sep 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Carrie Hinkel-Gill
Oct 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any fan of Carly Phillips or romance in general
I had just finished Damned (book 2 in the Crusade series by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie), and was ready to pick up the ARC of the first book in their newest series (Wolf Springs Chronicles) Unleashed. In fact, I read a few pages of it before this book called to me.

That's usually what will happen sometimes, books will call out to me and demand to be read. The fact that this book has been sitting in a stack beside my bed (where I do much of my reading lately) for some time probably helped.

I
April
Jul 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I really got pulled into the two main characters. They are just the kind that I like. Both Quinn and Ari are a little flawed and have to battle their own insecurities to both find out who they are individually and find their way as a couple. The supporting cast is great two. Every member of Ari's family is delightfully entertaining, and Conner is a loveable curmudgeon who you root for in his relationship with Maria. The plot is good, too. You get sucked into the missing ...more
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3.5 STARS

"Ariana Costas may be a college professor in Vermont, but she's still a Jersey girl at heart-at least according to her lovable, eccentric Greek family. Then her twin sister, Zoe disappears and her Jersey roots tug hard. Soon Ari is back home, ducking bullets and, to her chagrin, getting rescued by a hunk in a black leather jacket. Detective Quinn Donovan takes one look at the windblown beauty-and then looks again. If this lady isn't Zoe Costas, it's someone who looks exactly like her.
Connie N.
This is a cute mystery/romance combo set in an Atlantic City casino. Ariana Costas heads home to New Jersey from her life in Vermont as a college professor, in search of her missing twin sister. Ariana has moved away from her eccentric con family to find security and normalcy, but in the process she's lost contact with her family. She gets involved with Quinn Donovan, the undercover cop investigating the casino where Zoe was last seen. Nice romance, very fun secondary characters, interesting ...more
Thea Zhu
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read it the first time like five years ago and remember liking it back then. I was at the airport looking for something easy and fun to read for my 10hrs-flight. Recently I re-ordered it on my kindle, because I was in the mood for reading something with romance and humor and remembered this book from back then - I've gotta say, still like it!

I absolutely adore the Costas-clan, what a great family!

Didn't know it was sequel back then, looking forward to the second volume of the Costas Sisters
Joanne
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fast paced, flirty and adventurous romance. Booklist

Lighthearted think beach read. Publishers Weekly

Bestselling author Phillips is back with lots more humor and zaniness. Offbeat and fun-loving characters give this book heart. Romantic Times BOOKclub Magazine

All these review comments sum up this book well. Reminded me of Nora Roberts Hot Ice but the characters were more interesting an eccentric Greek family, twins, dysfunctional relationships and Spank the monkey all in casino life of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mulberry Moon (Mystic Creek, #3)
  • Jude's Law (Law, #1)
  • Murphy's Law (Law, #2)
  • Strawberry Hill (Mystic Creek, #5)
  • Just a Hint - Clint (Visitation, North Carolina, #4)
  • The Secret Life Of Bryan (Visitation, North Carolina, #2)
  • The Geometry of Sisters (Newport, Rhode Island, #1)
  • Huckleberry Lake (Mystic Creek #6)
  • Say No To Joe? (Visitation, North Carolina, #1)
  • With Love at Christmas: 26 Book Bumper Box Set of Sweet Clean Christmas Romance Stories
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • The Gatecrasher
  • Invitation Only Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #26)
  • Bay of Islands Brides 2 (3-in-1 Collection)
  • To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas #7)
  • Just for Kicks (Showgirls, #2)
  • Stone Cold Kiwi (New Zealand Ever After, #2)
  • The Adventurer (Ladies and Legends #2)
NY Times, Wall Street Journal, and USA Today Bestseller, Carly Phillips gives her readers Alphalicious heroes to swoon for and romance to set your heart on fire. She married her college sweetheart and lives in Purchase, NY along with her three crazy dogs: two wheaten terriers and a mutant Havanese, who are featured on her Facebook and Instagram. The author of 50 romance novels, she has raised two ...more

Costas Sisters (2 books)
  • Summer Lovin’ (Costas Sisters #2)