Start by marking “The Well-Designed Mixed Garden: Building Beds and Borders with Trees, Shrubs, Perennials, Annuals, and Bulbs” as Want to Read:

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The Well-Designed Mixed Garden is a design book with a difference. Written for gardeners who are passionate about plants of all kinds, it reflects decades of professional experience and artistic innovation.

Tracy DiSabato-Aust provides not only inspiration but also scrupulously organized information on design and connoisseur plants. A gallery of detailed design plans is in
Published August 26th 2009 by Timber Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Well-Designed Mixed Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well-Designed Mixed Garden

Mia
A terrific resource for gardeners, with detailed information about design considerations and tons of photos and illustrations to clearly illustrate the ideas described. For anyone looking to add more structure and four-season interest to their gardens, The Well-Designed Mixed Garden will be a source of creative inspiration.

Nearly encyclopedic in scope, with helpful lists of plants meeting a variety of design criteria making up the rear half of the book. The author gardens and designs gardens in
Lee Anne
This is wayyyyyyy above my skill set, as I couldn't even remember the difference between a perennial and an annual until I started planning my front yard flower beds. But Tracy DiSabato-Aust is a local author (and occasional Barnes & Noble customer), and this book contains many pictures of her own yard, so it serves as inspiration and reference. There is also a lot of good information about color mixing.
Phyllis
This book has some really wonderful pictures and ideas to inspire gardeners. I picked up this book because the author provides a lot of information for those in the Midwest (particulary plant hardiness zones 5-6). I truthfully skimmed the book and spent more time looking at pictures and designs, but I do think this is a useful book and might be a good book to have at home for reference.
Kiri
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did get some good information from this book, although I found a couple of her other books more useful on the whole. She seems to be advocating the type of gardening I've tended to do, although I've never been as deliberate or thoughtful about it as she has. The photos are beautiful and nice for inspiration.
Katy
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hobbies
Well organized and full of great detail. Contains anything you would want to know (and maybe more than you thought you needed to know) about gardening. The author is local and has a great reputation for her knowledge of gardening.
Emily
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic text for anyone building a perennial border. My only criticism is that sometimes she writes pretty technically on topics like color and it almost seems like a textbook. It's not a book you can skim.
William
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author is one of the rock stars of gardening.

Combines color photographs, design plans, and lists to provide a plethora of ideas for mixed gardens.

Worth reading more than once.

I read the library copy, but worth buying.
Sandy
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
One of the best gardening books in my collection. Artistic, well presented, easy to grasp her design concept.
Stacy Ling
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great design book for four season color. Love it.
Sandy T
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first got this from the library, and then bought my own. It's a fabulous reference book... love her style!
Becky