Start by marking “The Abomination” as Want to Read:
The Abomination

The Abomination

Cruising the seamy underbelly of London’s gay scene, James Moore Zamora is as eager to repel men as he is to seduce them. Handsome, sophisticated, intelligent, and vain, beneath his immaculately maintained exterior lies an elaborate network of deeply embedded scars from a lifetime filled with betrayal and isolation. Born to negligent, self-absorbed parents and raised among ...more
Published May 14th 2002 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Abomination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Abomination

Start your review of The Abomination
Doug
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a very odd experience with this book - I first garnered a free copy of it over a dozen years ago at a library giveaway of no longer wanted volumes, impelled to take it primarily due to the impish cover photo ... and then it languished in my library unread until now. The first 100 pages took me a torturous three days to get through, as the lapidary, dense prose is often hard to parse, and like many who've proffered reviews here, I considered DNF-ing it. Then, suddenly the clouds parted, and ...more
Maria Lago
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
La mayor abominación de este libro es su falta de estructura. El autor escribe, escribe, escribe, compulsivamente, venga palabras, venga metáforas. Aquí lo que importa es desahogarse, parece. Hasta ahí bien, un ejercicio de exorcismo como otro cualquiera. ¿Pero qué le queda al lector? Redoble de tambor: una mierda.
Venga, Golding, que lo puedes hacer mucho mejor, que yo lo sé. Ánimo.
Veronica Preiss
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
The first and last parts were almost too much for me - male homosexuality in graphic detail through an insecure and paranoid first person narrator. But the middle section, a vivid, bold and challenging description of his life during his boarding school years is easier to stomach, despite depicting child molestation in increasing intensity. Sexual aspects aside, the novel provides insight into the torments of being 'different'.
Guru Jad
Mar 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
A highly elaborated novel.

I usually admire eloquence and the refined choice of words, but this novel is written with much artificiality and preciosity.

The novel is a ticket to the past of Santiago Moore Zamora and his aberrant life from the Catholic boarding school he was in to the cheapest gay bars in London. It details his dirty engagements with many men, his triumphs, and his losses.

For a debut, I wished the work was focusing more on the plot - since it reflected the writer's deep influenc
Kim
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a difficult book to read, and not just because of the subject matter. What I found most fascinating was how adept Golding is at showing the way emotionally vulnerable children are taken advantage of my molesters. James is preyed upon by the priests at his British boarding schools because they knew he was the kind of child who would mistake their crimes for affection and wouldn't expose their criminal behavior. At times The Abomination rambles and a good editor probably could have cut 10 ...more
Katya Vaheva
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I honestly don’t know how to rate this book. The initial and final part were so boring I had to skip a few pages at the end, a lot of very random confusing sex narrative. The middle part though, especially from when he starts to go to boarding school, is nice and you quickly get more and more interested in Iago’s life and “love” affairs.
My advice is to read only from part two to part four.
Madi
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Dear God, it's so simple: you dial, you speak, you see; and if you catch him at a loss, or pretending so to be, you just hang up, quietly. Done it before. Come on. Look: just go and have a bath, and a good think.

I have never going it easy to obey myself, so instead I take a shower."
Scott
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Drope-dead gorgeous prose and bracingly confronting subject matter, my only real quibble was that it felt a bit long-winded at times, but it's clearly his love of language which prevents him from pruning it back, which is easy to forgive.
Cecil
May 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found the book very prosy, and I kept hoping that I would finish it. Thank God I read it in an e-book format, so I didn't have to look up all of the words which nobody I know ever uses.
Ricardo
Dec 28, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF

Boring, confusing, and not entertaining enough to keep me reading
Yasmin
Another Chip Kidd cover. AWESOME. ...more
Deborah
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: failed
Gave up after a few pages and a few random checks further in to see if it improved at all. Not for me. All the makings of a vile read.
Maureen
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • A Spot of Bother
  • Crash
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
  • When We Were Vikings
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 5
  • Vernon God Little
  • Birthday
  • Paper Girls, Vol. 6
  • The Deep
  • The Marrying of Chani Kaufman
  • Negras in Brazil: Re-envisioning Black Women, Citizenship, and the Politics of Identity
  • At Last
  • Moders mælk & Til sidst
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • Various Pets Alive and Dead