Start by marking “The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne, #5)

The Bourne Betrayal (Jason Bourne #5)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  8,167 Ratings  ·  311 Reviews
Two months after Jason Bourne's second wife has died, he learns that Martin Lindros, his only friend in the CIA, went missing in Africa. where he was tracking shipments of yellowcake uranium. After Bourne finds him, Martin returns to the U.S., but only after he persuades Bourne to go to Odessa to penetrate the clandestine world of terrorist money men there.

In Odessa, Bourn

Published June 5th 2007 by Warner Books

To ask other readers questions about The Bourne Betrayal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bourne Betrayal

Diana
Jul 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Bourne it's NOT! disappointed storyline that's filled with lots of errors...not like the movie if that's what readers are expecting..story does not even connects or grabs you,it's like you're reading all day long and cannot get into the plotline..very boring (paperback!)
Diane Wallace
May 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bourne it's NOT! disappointed,filled with lots of errors ..not like the movie if that's what readers are expecting...story does not even connects or grabs you,it's like you're reading all day long and cannot get into the plotline..very boring (paperback!)
Lisa
Nov 23, 2008 rated it did not like it
This book sucked harder than a Hoover.
I love the Bourne Identity movies, and I figured Robert Ludlum is a famous author, so I figured this would be a fun read. Unfortunately, I didn't notice that Ludlum's name is just put on top in big letters because he or his estate own the copyright to the Bourne series, and this book was written by (in small print) Eric Van Lustbader. So I still don't know how good a writer Ludlum is.
What I do know is that Lustbader doesn't know squat about character devel
James
Nov 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bourne completists
Lustbader manages to write both compelling prose and utter shite at the same time. You could call him the Dan Brown of the thriller world; if Brown hadn't already got that title sewn up himself. Since Robert Ludlum's death, Lustbader has been at the helm of the Bourne series of novels. Taking the original trilogy and, some might say, milking it for whatever he and the Ludlum estate can get. This book continues in that vein and feels a lot like Lustbader had the beginnings of a great idea for a s ...more
Jerome
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Characters are bland and undeveloped, if at all. Action sequences don't make sense. Overuse of gee-wiz technology that doesn't exist. Events happen (a good guy gets tied up and beaten) which weren't covered in the prior paragraphs.

If you can get past the helicopters shooting down MiG-29s and Bourne in a commercial jet dogfighting with Iranian fighters (I'm not making this stuff up), you still have to deal with the incredible metamorphosis that has happened to Bourne himself between the Bourne Le
Ben Jackson
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Enemies
This is in my bottom 10 books of all time. Poorly conceived, written, edited, and packaged. The plot makes about as much sense as a colonoscopy to diagnose strep throat. It's full of continuity, spelling, and grammatical errors and about as exciting as golf.
Ken Gorry
Oct 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
I thought no one could Kill Jason Bourne, so well done Eric Van Lustbader. Jason Bourne is now dead to me. The villain is boring. and somehow has built a bond style evil base in the Afghanistan mountains. for those of you who don't know the geography of the area it cant be traversed by a motorised transport. Yet somehow our villain managed not only to build a secret base but also managed to get an elevator and a tarmac runway. This is just one of numerous ludicrous scenarios Van Lustbader serves ...more
T.
Dear Eric Van Lustbader:

Please leave the Bourne series alone.

Respectfully,
T.
Timi Ogunbekun
Jul 06, 2014 rated it did not like it
The Bourne Trilogy ( Robert Ludlum's greatest work) was one of the best clandestine-thriller series I've ever had the privilege of reading. Normally the idea of a book series chronicling the adventures of a schizophrenic/amnesiac assassin would be absurd, but Ludlum made it work. He made readers connect, not only with Jason Bourne and his alter-ego, but every other character that was a part of Bourne's Life. He made you want to follow Bourne on his journey through confusion, paranoia, frustratio ...more
Ollie
Oct 03, 2012 rated it did not like it

Below is a review I wrote and posted on Barnes & Noble where I purchased this book for my Nook. It still stands as my review.

Despite misgivings and numerous attempts at reading Lustbader in the past, I decided to read his Bourne books solely because of the subject - Jason Bourne. I hoped Lustbader had improved his craft in the last few years and that this series would be good. I was greatly dismayed from the start when I realized he had completely set aside the original and true character of
Kristen
If you love non-stop action thrillers, you'll enjoy this action-adventure thriller. With non-stop action, this novel takes you all over the world from Washington D.C. to Africa to Eastern Asia. I remember seeing the first Bourne movies years ago and on TV--now this propels us to post-9/11 world with terrorists and intricate plotlines. I've been wrapped up into a fast paced world. We can see Bourne struggle with his memory and how he copes with his loss. My heart sank with him. But we see him nev ...more
Randy
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. It was okay. Somewhat engaging with a few twists, but every book further from the original Bourne Trilogy seems to lose something from that fantastic trio of books.

Maybe this is a minor point, but I keep thinking back to the time frame of the original series versus these. It doesn't seem that any effort has been made to account for the changes in culture (i.e. cell phones/internet). I'd have to go back and figure it out, but I think this book is a few decades ahead technologically from wher
Edward
Dec 13, 2009 rated it liked it
I often will not even bother putting a three star book up on goodreads. I don't particularly like to give bad reviews, and a three star rating to me means that there are some pretty significant weaknesses.

However, Lustbader's early stuff is some of my favorite fiction, and I will probably keep giving him a chance unless he goes the full Tom Clancy. I did think his recent First Daughter was better.

So, what was good about the book. The plot was interesting and wellpaced, especially the second half
Judy
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
A truly laughable plot line. Although, I'm sure those that love a good spy novel and/or the Bourne series will disagree with me. It really should be kept in the "Fantasy" genre. The characters are able to assume each other's identities with the greatest of ease right down to the last detail. The good guys are able to become the bad guys and vice versa. Not only are enemies able to walk the walk of one another but even their voices are amazingly counterfeited.
Sorry, but I don't buy it. The techn
Joel
May 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
If this were a video game it would be rated M [Strong language, Extreme Violence, some sex, drugs]

The body count was high and it seems that every character is either an assassin, murderer, or both, so I had a hard time deciding whether or not a particular character was a "good guy".

Getting past all that, this was an exciting read. Each time the author jumped between characters I wanted to stay with the one he was talking about because I was so engaged.
Euni
Jun 08, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: go-back-to
The fact that they are using Robert Ludlum's name and the character from his previous books, does not make this a thriller. I'm falling asleep reading this book and trying to figure out when the character is going to act like Jason Bourne. Or even David Webb.

I'm afraid I cannot recommend this book to anyone.
Robbie183
Apr 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Do not read this book!!

I can't believe the publisher allowed Robert Ludlum's name to be associated with it. Following on from the excellent Bourne series, a cheap ploy to capitalise on a sound reputation, by a sub-standard writer.
Stephanie
Feb 28, 2014 rated it did not like it
Unworthy og the name Bourne.
Steve King
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
When the deputy director of CI and Bourne's only real friend is captured in the field by a well organized terrorist cell Jason Bourne will stop at nothing to rescue him. His quest will span three continents and as always, involve a number of death defying scenarios. However, the capture of Martin Lindros is more than an attempt to eliminate Bourne. The terrorists have a deadly plan to replace Lindros, gain high level access to CI and plant a false flag while they attempt to set off a nuclear bom ...more
Phiwa
Jul 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
It will hurt your common sense. Do not read this stinker. The plot is extremely under cooked and the character coincidences will rattle your common sense. The story begins with a great sequence albeit with the now-all-too-common the American CIA agent outsmarts the native-world-other. In other words the American is intelligent and the non-American is dumb. The novel has too much of this ideology. Before I continue I have to ask, Why does the teenager Tyrone know so much and do so many impossible ...more
Audioreader
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, action
I used to love the old Bourne books by Ludlum, but this Van Lustbader guy just can't live up to him. Sure, he's great at writing action scenes, and the one thing that I like better about his books as compared to Ludlum's is that the book is always at a fever pace of action, whereas there can be long, boring stretches in Ludlum's.

But other than that, the book is totally far-fetched and unbelievable. And you don't identify with Bourne as much as in Ludlum's novels.
Jonathan Desimone
A solid Bourne adventure

If you like Ludlum and Jason Bourne as a character, this book is a nice fast read. Not quite as complicated or long as the identity, ultimatum or supremacy but still pretty good.
Richard
May 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
not finished... my first non-Ludlum Bourne novel. Oh boy, what has happened to them? Is it my memory playing tricks, I'm sure the originals were a little bit of escapism. This one just missed the mark.
Randa Mcnair
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
So many characters, it's kinda hard to keep up with who's who. The story line is quite captivating. I look forward to the next tale.
M Brod
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
Pretty awful. Totally predictable. Uses every gimmick and spy novels imaginable. One right after another. Not worth the read
Ashley
Feb 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
The Bourne Betrayal is the fifth Jason Bourne novel and the second Bourne novel by author Eric Van Lustbader. As a fan of the first three Jason Bourne novels and movies I was excited for another Bourne story, though I must confess I haven't read anything by this author before. After having read this novel, I won't be in a hurry to read him again.

I won't spend much time reviewing this story as it can best be summarized as having a plot that is unbelievable and overly complex even for a Bourne/
Deborah
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Predictable. Time to let Bourne retire.
Dennis Brown
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Utterly predictable
James
Aug 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
I find that it becomes harder and harder to review books in a series as it goes on, so this one is going to be mercifully short - or at least, that's my aim.

I think that what has become evident in this novel is that Lustbader is stamping his authority on the Bourne persona and novels; where with Legacy he made small changes with Betrayal he has started to drastically remold the Bourne universe.
- A perfect example of this would be the removal of Marie from the books; in Legacy she was sidelined
Speesh
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Am I ok in saying this is an excellent read? A thoroughly tip-top thriller? One of the very best?

Credibility...Meet window?

I hope not. I don't think so. In fact, I'm sure not. Because this one did exactly what it says on the tin and thrilled the whatsits off me. Why on earth do we read books, if not for pleasure? And reading this one is as pleasurable an experience as they come.

But first, a word of warning: Don't read the summary on the back. In my view, it gives away way too much of much too ma
Contemporary YA: Jason Bourne Book vs. Movie 4 5 Jul 01, 2016 07:17PM
Peter Marks 1 3 Mar 23, 2015 06:30AM
  • The Bancroft Strategy
  • The Arctic Event (Covert-One, #7)
  • The Lazarus Vendetta (Covert-One, #5)
  • The Altman Code (Covert-One, #4)
  • The Cry of the Halidon
Eric Van Lustbader was born and raised in Greenwich Village. He is the author of more than twenty-five best-selling novels, including The Ninja, in which he introduced Nicholas Linnear, one of modern fiction's most beloved and enduring heroes. The Ninja was sold to 20th CenturyFox, to be made into a major motion picture. His novels have been translated into over twenty languages.

Mr. Lustbader is
More about Eric Van Lustbader...

Jason Bourne (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • The Bourne Supremacy (Jason Bourne, #2)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum (Jason Bourne, #3)
  • The Bourne Legacy (Jason Bourne, #4)
  • The Bourne Sanction (Jason Bourne, #6)
  • The Bourne Deception (Jason Bourne, #7)
  • The Bourne Objective (Jason Bourne, #8)
  • The Bourne Dominion (Jason Bourne, #9)
  • The Bourne Imperative (Jason Bourne, #10)
  • The Bourne Retribution (Jason Bourne, #11)