Start by marking “Tourist Season Tourist Season” as Want to Read:
Tourist Season Tourist Season

Tourist Season Tourist Season

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
In "Tourist Season," award-winning author Enid Shomer offers ten brilliant, richly detailed unforgettable stories of resilient women, aged seventeen to seventy, each at a pivotal point in herlife. Their journeys cross distances of place and mind: A middle-aged Floridian who learns that she is the reincarnation of a Buddhist saint takes daring steps on her path to enlighten ...more
Published December 10th 2008 by Random House Trade (first published March 27th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Tourist Season Tourist Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tourist Season Tourist Season

Jenno
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book is overall good- like any collection of stories, there are some that are 'artistic' but lack a point. But the good ones are really really good. The book opens with one of the best, "Chosen" where a Jewish suburbaitte woman discovers she is a Buddhist saint. I also loved 'Laws of Nature' and 'Fill in the Blank'. You'll have to read it to find out what they are about. :)
Christina
Dec 25, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure about this one. I may finish reading it, but it's not catching my attention. I feel like the author is trying too hard to be interesting.
Yona McDonough
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read this book once before and found the stories so haunting I had to read it again, so I did that this weekend. Shomer is a brilliant story writer and I am surprised she does not have a wider reputation. She writes about key transitions in women's lives with such insight and grace. My two favorites are "Rapture" and "Laws of Nature." Both push the envelope of plausibility, yet both are credible in their own, slightly surreal terms.
Amber Cooney
I feel like Tourist Season was written as a beach read. Nothing serious, nothing profound, some odd moments...just a collection of short stories to read for entertainment value. You're bound to love at least one story, but some of them are bound to leave you questioning what you just read (incest, love affairs between high schoolers and retired police officers). I thought that the order and placement of the stories were fantastic: you are taken on a roller coaster of emotions, with the most seri ...more
Dec 04, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
This book reminded me why I don't like short stories. After reading the first one, I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue. There were a few good ones and after discussing it with the book group, I think I came to appreciate them a little more. Though, I still found myself wanting more from each of the stories.
Kent Miller
May 28, 2016 marked it as to-read

In Tourist Season, award-winning author Enid Shomer offers ten brilliant, richly detailed unforgettable stories of resilient women, aged seventeen to seventy, each at a pivotal point in her life. Their journeys cross distances of place and mind: A middle-aged Floridian who learns that she is the reincarnation of a Buddhist saint takes daring steps on her path to enlightenment; a long-buried secret forces one woman to leave the daughter she deeply loves; a Radcliffe student faces shocking family

Jocelyn Paige
It’s a collection about tourists, but uses the meaning in the broadest sense. All the stories are about women in various stages of their lives where they become tourists in their own lives. Some are more of a stretch than others to fit into this theme, but overall it works.

Shomer has range and depth in her collection. “Fill In The Blank” was a story told on two levels, and even though I didn’t really like the protagonist Garland, I like how the story unfolded. What I disliked the most about th
Catherine
When I finished this collection and tried to organize my thoughts, I initially focused on the lack of cultural diversity represented in these stories. You get the feeling throughout that these are white women of a certain socioeconomic status who are generally accepted/respected in society. Not that they're all extremely wealthy or well-known, but they don't seem to have many real struggles or problems (except maybe some "first world problems"). I'm still giving this 3 stars because I enjoyed th ...more
Nancy
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such intriguing short stories by an author with some FSU connections - apparently she was once a member of the English faculty. There's a definite Florida tinge to many of them. These stories are little sketches of women, deftly outlined, almost plotless - just moments in time from pretty desperate lives. Well-written, a bit depressing - a quick and easy read.
Hari Brandl
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories, unrelated for the most part, and each quite different in tone and texture, though there were some themes of anthropological congruity between cultures common to several of them.
My favorite was "Laws of Nature". It reminded me of some of the mythology I read avidly as a young reader.
Cj Byrns
Uneven

Some stories seemed more thoughtful and adhesive than others. All in all it was a pleasant reading experience. Nothing earth shattering, although a couple of the stories seemed to end rather abruptly and required the reader to supply the resolution.
Reeshard
Apr 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
marvelously wrought details, magically transformed into life and truth.
Tracy
Dec 05, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not that great of a book. I liked the story entitled Rapture but most of the stories had no plot or general point. It is probably a love it or hate it type book.
Jill
Dec 06, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
Okay, so far some of these stories are odd. However, they are way better than the last book of short stories I read!
Lisa Temple
Short stories about ten different women of varying ages who are all at turning points in their lives.
Danielle
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I tried to like it, but I couldn't get through most of these and I can read almost any short story. Just not for me.
Terese Svoboda
Nov 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very competent stories by a good poet--relationshippy and in South Florida.
Mama K
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Couple of the stories were pretty. LOVED the title story. But I'm an old woman, and I'm not a huge fan of the sparse narrative that leaves too much unanswered. Easy read though.
Megan
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of short stories, this is a great read...I prefer getting to know my characters...
Pam
Aug 02, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
08/01/08 rec via pbs
Daina Jaeger Mundt
I didn't care for this book at all. I found the characters underdeveloped and the stories uninteresting and at times simply silly.
Jean Roth
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very nice collection of stories-- original and well written.
Cheryl
The author is good at making each character very different from the next.
Emily Skitmore
  • Trailerpark
  • Shakespeare's Kitchen
  • Waltzing the Cat
  • Sugar and Other Stories
Enid Shomer is an award-winning American poet and fiction writer. She is author of six poetry collections and two short story collections largely set in, influenced by, and life in the State of Florida.
More about Enid Shomer...