Start by marking “Part of My Soul Went with Him” as Want to Read:
Part of My Soul Went with Him

Part of My Soul Went with Him

Winnie Mandela, one of South Africa's most visible & articulate apartheid foes, spent many years as a banned person in her own country. She lived under virtual house arrest & was forbidden to address public gatherings or meet with more than one person at a time. She endured a forced separation of 27 years from her husband, Nelson Mandela. Here, in interviews & ...more
Published November 17th 1985 by W.W. Norton & Company, Inc. (NY) (first published January 1st 1984)

Start your review of Part of My Soul Went with Him
leynes
Little did I know that when I found this book at a local flea market for 50 cents that I would devour it in two days and that it would become a new favorite. I was even apprehensive of picking it up since I don’t like reading in German but my mom convinced me that we couldn’t pass up a deal as good as this, and she got it for me in the end, bless her!

Before jumping into Winnie’s memoir I knew next to nothing about her, as a person. I wasn’t even aware of the fact that she only died two months
Diron
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this book years ago and up until this day remember the effect that Winnie Mandela's struggle had on me as a woman. Winnie throughout this book is described and distinguished as a woman of exceptional leadership who worked hard to keep the movement going. This story epitomizes her strength through adversity. I can now say Winnie represents a big part of the movement. Her service has benefited so many people.

Her struggle kept Mr. Mandela's name in the public eye and she never allowed
Lydia
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book after it was announced that Winnie and Nelson Mandela were divorcing. The news was disappointing. I thought it strange, that this couple who had been through so much together, could not sustain their marriage upon his release from prison. In my opinion, Winnie and Nelson were a couple long enough to produce two children. In my opinion, Winnie's groom was the Cause; Nelson's bride was the Cause. Winnie was Nelson's second marriage.

The destruction of the evil apartheid system
Andy Tate
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winnie Mandela was an amazing, inspiring person. And this is a beautiful book. It is also amazing and inspiring. It made me think, it made me laugh, it made me cry. It is very interesting and informative. I couldn't put it down. I only wish that it had been a longer, bigger book.
Nicole
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir
Just finished Winnie Mandela: Part of My Soul Went with Him and was moved to tears many times. To read about individuals so strong, to endure so much, to have ideals that stand against time and evil, to put them into action. My life is nothing against even half of her’s. Soweto was one of those times:

“I was there among them, I saw what happened. The children picked up stones, they used dustbin lids as shields and marched towards machine guns. It’s not that they don’t know that the white man is
Nadine
Jul 22, 2012 rated it liked it
It doesn't even attempt to be a biography of any kind. Knowing that from the start helps. It gives a valuable insight into Winnie's perspective on her time with Nelson / or rather her time not spent with Nelson Mandela. But it is unstructured. Various footnotes help the unfamiliar to South African history to understand some of the context and a small appendix with selected documents, like the Freedom Charter, does too. But it is not enough. A book that is so subjective already, needs a logical ...more
Kassia
Jun 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-2010
This book really hit me hard. Not only did I have to read it for my writing arts homework, but actually reading it for fun, really effected my heart. It talks about how much Mandela put up with her husband, and all the things she had to go through. In the end, she still stood up for what she believed in, and didn't depend too much on her husband and what people said about her. She is a true hero, and she really just wants the best for herself, and for the country, Africa.
Marcia
Dec 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Incredible the circumstances under which Winnie Mandela lived. The stories and words are Winnie's but had to be written and edited outside of South Africa. The story doesn't flow easily - likely because of how it was all put together.
Stellamaris
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book strongly written, awe inspiring, especially for someone like me who left South Africa so long ago. A book that left an indelible memory on me.
Karen
Jan 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I really liked this when I read it. Sad to learn how corrupt she became.
Pricila Almeida
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Comovente! De levar as lagrimas e refletir o quanto não conhecemos os por menores de situações tão difíceis causadas pelo próprio ser humano!
Lily
Jan 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. That was an eye-opener.
Alexandra
Sure it's completely different in English, but it's nice enough all the same...
Alexandra
Loved this....it's such a moving portrait of a strong woman who's staying strong for her country whilst her family's been torn apart...Winnie Mandela really is one of my heroines
Rorisang Masetlha
I need to find out where I can get this book, been looking for it for 6months
Denise Smith-Archer
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was a great read. Nomzamo (Winnie) was more than the wife of a great leader; she in her own right was a great leader. Additionally, this book was a very good lesson in South African politics. I knew the gist of what the apartheid government was doing to the people of South Africa at a time when most other African countries were free from traditional colonialism. But I did not know the details of the oppression, of the banning orders that people were forced to live under. Some people ...more
Nukes
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I read this book years ago, maybe twice maybe thrice, my country Kenya felt like South Africa. The country was struggling with its own share of forced disappearances in the hands of the regime, people being suicided in police stations, suspects "accidentally dying while escaping", many books were banned, some reggae songs were banned, ad infinitum. So the book really resonated with me.
The book so small and yet packed the punch. Winnie, a pretty young husbandless woman packed a punch
McKenzie
Jul 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insight into the woman who was already on the cutting edge of activism before meeting and marrying Nelson Mandela.
Tefo Manoto
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written book recounting the extraordinary life of an icon. She's candid about her weaknesses.
Landa Mabenge
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book sometime between 1996 and 1999 when I was in High School. The climate at the time was rather intense. I was drawn to the subject History, however, attending a Model C school at the time as a black child skewed the subject matter. When voicing opinions or disagreeing with the political accuracy of what we were being taught, it was not uncommon for the teacher to lash out at us, labeling us "little Winnie Mandela's."
This book opened my eyes regards the position of the black person
Noel
Inspirational book, Winnie suffered much for the "cause of freedom" and injured much (separation form her husband for 22 years). The sacrifice, to be away from your partner in life and then mistreated because of your association to him, it is an uncommon dedication.

Although they later divorced for past infidelities, and changed circumstances, her "freedom" to be cannot taken away.
Raewyn
Oct 07, 2012
Nahom
rated it did not like it
Jan 27, 2019
Sharon4
Oct 23, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game That Made a Nation
  • Diamonds, Gold, and War: The British, the Boers, and the Making of South Africa
  • Long Walk to Freedom
  • Congo voor beginners
  • Dossier K.
  • De grote pensioenroof
  • Women are the Future of Islam
  • Feminisme: terug van nooit weggeweest
  • Botchan
  • Questions about Islam and Comments
  • Aisha Bint Abu Bakr
  • Vlinderhuid
  • Burned Alive
Winnie Mandela is seen as one of South Africa's most celebrated, but controversial women of the country.

Married to Nelson Mandela until 1996 she is a struggle icon in her own right. After the fall of Apartheid she served as a Member if Parliament until her death. Also served as a Deputy Minister.