Start by marking “Andersen's Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:

Andersen's Fairy Tales

Originally published in 1991, this collection of classic fairy tales by Hans Christian Andersen has been illustrated by internationally acclaimed artist Arthur Szyk. Bright illustrated endpapers, ten full page color illustrations and numerous black and white.

Stories included:
"Little Ida's Flowers"
"The Red Shoes
Hardcover, First G&D Edition, 343 pages
Published October 1st 1945 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about Andersen's Fairy Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Andersen's Fairy Tales

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
There are some good stories here, and some that scarred my childhood. Between dead match girls and trashed fir trees not to mention frightening Snow Queens the Thumblinias were sometimes needed. Still they last. Excuse me I didn't get much sleep last night, there was something poking my back under my 20 mattresses.
Becky
What does one say about Andersen’s Fairy Tales, other than that they are a must read? All fantasy lovers should of course read it, because all fantasy has this sort of primal connection to early humanities’ fear of the dark forests. Everyone else should read it just to see how these tales have evolved into the modern stories that we all know now. I hear people constantly complaining the Disney teachers girls all the wrong lessons (and I have some very biting arguments about that, but another tim ...more
Bev
My volume of Andersen's Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen is a 1945 edition illustrated by
Arthur Szyk. The book has gorgeous endpapers, 10 full-page color illustrations, and several black and white illustrations. It is an absolutely lovely edition. The stories within are a mixture of the very well-known--such as "The Princess & the Pea," "The Ugly Duckling," and "The Snow Queen"--as well as lesser-known stories such as "The Fir Tree," "The Storks," and "The Girl Who Trod on a Loaf."

I b
Kyrie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I like his stories. They're not cleaned up, Disney-fied and they're scary sometimes. He doesn't talk down to children. I've had this book forever (even crayoned all over the cover -shame on me) and I still love it!
Seonmin (Dani) Park8
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would give 5 out of 5 rating for this amusing and delightfully droll book. This book contains of 47 tales written by Hans Christian Andersen. I gave a 5/5 for this book as I really liked how I could read many fairy tales in a single book. Every tale is carefully written to provide moral lessons within its stories and teachings. A lot of lessons can be learned throughout this book. What I enjoyed the most was its readability, I usually do not like to read books, but each of these tales were com ...more
Etola
I feel a bit weird giving what is considered a classic piece of children's literature only three stars, but I just did not enjoy this collection nearly as much as I expected to. I read this alongside a collection of Grimm's fairy tales, and next to those, Andersen's seemed to lack a certain something. It wasn't that they weren't dark--it's just that the darkness is never resolved except by dying and going to Heaven. And some of the stories lacked any enjoyable resolution at all--people who mean ...more
Inggita
this is as close as i can get to my first hardcover Hans Christian Andersen book gorgeously illustrated by Arthur Szyk - it's a much earlier edition - i got it in September 1976. My father used to treat us to bedtime story reading then he would fall asleep before we do. i found the stories weird - but now it's tragically poignant and beautiful. (maybe it's not really for kids): the little match girl, the red shoes, the ugly duckling...
Jody
I've realised that I'm just not a fan of fairy tales. I find them generally quite dull, and these were no real exception. Some of them were quite terrible.

I couldn't find the edition that I read, but this was the closest.
Will
May 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
"A long time passed away, then the collar came into the rag chest at the paper mill; there was a large company of rags, the fine by themselves, and the coarse by themselves, just as it should be. They all had much to say, but the collar the most; for he was a real booster.

'I have had such an immense number of sweethearts!' said the collar. 'I could not be in peace! It is true, I was always a fine starched-up gentleman! I had both a boot-jack and a hair-comb, which I never used! You should have s
Deborah
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I found an old Illustrated Junior Edition of ANDERSEN’S FARIY TALES by Hans Christian Andersen in my parents’ attic (and posted some of the disturbing illustrations I found therein as I was reading), but now I have actually finished the book, fulfilling both the Popsugar prompt and my first #2020classics read. Adding to the nostalgia factor, the figurines in the picture are ones that my grandmother collected that I kept after she passed away. My grandmother was a reader herself and often brought ...more
Nicole Dunton
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A collection of classic folk and fairy tales. There are many different stories in this collection. They range from dark and creepy to light and humorous. Most of them have lessons that we can take to heart and keep with us throughout our lives.

I really adored all of the stories. Even the ones I found very creepy. I can't believe that I was only familiar with The Emperor's New Clothes until now! I'm glad I made the time to! I can't wait until I have children of my own that I can take the time to
Elinor  Loredan
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Every story of Andersen's feels like he put his whole heart into it. Not one seems throw-away or contrived. His fairy tales are, mostly, much more rounded out than others, with more dialogue and character development, which is appreciate rather than characters without individuality. Each story, also, has a clear theme. I like how many of them have little opening narratives that draw the reader into the story and give the narrator personality. Favorites:

Little Tiny
The Fir Tree
The Marsh King's Dau
Jessica
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have always found "The Snow Queen" to be frightening. I feel you all should know this before I commence with the review of this pretty volume.

My favorite story in this book was "The Wild Swans," a mix of "Snow White," "Swan Lake" and "Rumpelstiltskin." Also if you are a fan of the (fantastic) show Buffy the Vampire Slayer and remember the silent episode called Hush... there was a tiny element of that as well in The Wild Swans.

The long, scary version of The Snow Queen was present as well. I re
Susanne
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I read the Oxford Children’s Illustrated collection. Over the years, I’ve read or seen retellings of these fairy tales, especially the Ugly Duckling, the Snow Queen, the Little Match Girl, and the Red Shoes. Reading the tales from this collection, I was most surprised by the harshness of the situations the characters find themselves in. The world is cruel, the adults are at best disinterested and at worst predatory, and so the children must make their own way if they can. Also, I found it strang ...more
Connie
May 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fairy tales are weird man.
I can’t process anything anymore. This edition didn’t have every tale but believe me it was more than enough for me.
There are a few stories that I knew and liked but for the most part I’m sorry I don’t like Andersen. Too much weirdness and pain and death and curses. Most of the time my only thought was, seriously what’s wrong with you. Fairytale logic is not for me, maybe just a little but not in these proportions. Why do you hate happy? I’m gonna need therapy after th
Elizabeth
Apr 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Dad
I have the original 1945 publication of this collection, handed down to me from my father, and it was always a favorite childhood read of mine. There a good many of Andersen's fairy tales that are well-known: The Ugly Duckling, The Little Mermaid, and Thumbelina among them. But this collection has many, many more of his lesser-known stories, and they're all weird and enchanting. Some are less enjoyable than others, but the vast majority make you wonder if you aren't on a good acid trip, or at le ...more
Story Life
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Andersen is my favorite author for fairy tales.

His stories are slow paced and enjoyable.

In spite of modern authors writing fairy tales with more pace, Andersen's fairy tales are still my favorite.

You can read few stories at following link for free.

Patrick Ferrer
Nov 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm reading the 1894 Routledge illustrated edition, complete with gold leafed cover and dried flowers between the pages that are twice as old as I am. Found it in a Paris flea market for a few bucks. I don't know if the stories have been changed afterwards, they sound quite a bit different than the ones I knew. Darker, much more religiously charged. But there are real gems among them, stories that stick in your mind and are easy to retell to an awed audience. Great fun.
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Andersen's Fairy Tales are much more poetic than Grimm's at times. They are lovely but very dark cautionary tales. It's very interesting to read the original version of so many stories that have been sanitized for modern children's consumption like The Ugly Duckling and The Little Mermaid. The stories The Red Shoes and The Shadow will both definitely stick with me. I think this is a must read for lovers of fantasy and fairy tales.
Christian
Feb 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Been working my way through some Project Gutenberg books, and came across this one. My thought was, 'Look, I just had a kid. Maybe I should read some fairy tales I could tell her someday down the line.' Well, not sure I'm going to be telling most of these to her. I mean, Jesus Christ, some of these messed up. I think I'll stick with the Disneyfied versions in my retellings.
Sara
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Many of these stories are really incredible--it's hard to believe they were only written in the 19th century instead of being passed down for hundreds of years. Some are less enrapturing than others (The Old Street Lamp, I'm looking at you), but overall the stories are wonderful.

I received this copy from my mother recently. It's the same one I used to borrow from her when I was young.
Nicole King
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really like fairy tales and this is the first collection of Anderson's tales that I have read. I was surprised to see how different they originally are compared to how they have been told more recently. Very good.
Rosewhitekrw
I think all the classic fairy tales should be read. fairy tales are often much more dark and have a lot more meaning to them before Disney or other movie makers touch them. it's always a learning experience when reading the originals.
Miss Kelly
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I had to borrow this book through SearchOhio. Though the pages are yellowed on this book, the illustrations and the stories put the reader back in the time period of Hans Christian Andersen. After reading his biography, I can now see where some of his short stories have come from.
Nicole
May 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
Amazing how so many people want to have fairy tale endings, but many fairy tales, just aren't that happy!
Jay
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superior illustrations.
Shalaka
eh. Some of these are ok; they take you back to your childhood and the world of magic- but some stories feel like they have no end.
Intan
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I don't really understand some stories. Maybe it's because I don't like the genre that much.
Lisa Shepherd
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Not quite what I was expecting . . . some of them were weird . . . but some of them we loved.
Jonathan
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Very hit-and-miss.
Hans Christian Andersen (often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories — called eventyr, or "fairy-tales" — express themes that transcend age and nationality.

Andersen's fairy tales, wh