Start by marking “Mortlock” as Want to Read:
Mortlock

Mortlock (The Mortlock Books)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  422 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
The sister is a knife-thrower in a magician's stage act, the brother an undertaker's assistant. Neither orphan knows of the other's existence. Until, that is, three terrible aunts descend on the girl's house and imprison her guardian, the Great Cardamom. His dying act is to pass the girl a note with clues to the secret he carries to his grave.
Published March 1st 2010 by Bloomsbury UK

To ask other readers questions about Mortlock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortlock

Michelle
As an avid reader of gothic fiction, I was wary of Mortlock from the cover (as a bookseller, I shouldn’t be judging a book by the cover, I know, I know, but I’m only human!). A decayed hand thrust up forth from its grave, an unnaturally sized crow looming forth under the book’s title. One can easily guess the genre from a quick glimpse however, the story itself is prime and well-told. Mayhew uses well-woven threads of mystery and intrigue to form a terrific plot and back-story. Using themes of V ...more
Caroline Victoria Murphy (CazzReadsYA)
This book is generally aimed at people younger than me, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I read this as part of my Halloween book challenge, and it sent chills through my spine more than once. All the characters are well developed, especially the two main characters: twins Josie and Alfie. At the beginning of the book we are introduced to Mortlock who is the character mentioned on the cover, and two of his friends Chrimes and Corvis. They are searching for a flower called an Amarant, bu ...more
Charlotte Danby
Jun 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wouldn't usually read this type of book, but I found it in the back of my cupboard and I thought I should give it a try. After reading the prologue I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, but I carried on and it was surprisingly quite good. It only took me a few days to read it all (I'm a slow reader, 2 days is good for me). It had some very cliché parts, but overall the plot and the whole book was good
Polly Clarke
Ghoulish, gory and grim - a delightful mix of the macabre! This book made me squirm more than a few occasions it was so brilliantly written. Wonderful Halloween reading choice. A favourite!
Scott Roberts
Excellent story plot and book cover. I give this book 5 stars.
Livia [ Livvy ]
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this!!! (really gloomy tho)
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Jan 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I truly felt that when I decided to start reading this book that I would hate it. Something about the cover/ description just didn’t appeal to me but I definitely wanted to give it a shot. The cover is a very evil green colour with a hand reaching out from the ground as well as black claws coming down from the top. Straight away, you know this book has an eerie feel to it and the black edged pages helped to add to that feeling.

Jon Mayhew’s website (http://www.jonmayhew.co.uk/mortlock.htm) state
Adil
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing

I decided to read this book because i found this book on the shelf of the library and the cover was irresistable. So i picked it up and started reading the Prologue. I was entregied about the starting and it hookedd me in. This book was a thriller.

The category it fits is " A female main character" The reason why it fits this category is because the main character is Josie who is a female. Hahahahah. I liked reading this genre because in most books that i have read there always has been a male ma
Chris
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this one for school. I has arrived but has the phrase "Death is not the end" so checking to see whether or not this is suitable for a KS2 reading book...

The blurb:

Josie is a knife thrower in the magician's stage act. Alfie is an undertaker's assistant.

They are both orphans and they have never met, but they are about to be given a clue to the secret of a shared past.

A past which has come back to seek them out.

And while they flee for their lives, they must unravel the burning mysteries su
Amy Stagles
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I had the honour of being handed a copy of this book of the author himself. I was fascinated by the characters from the beginning and I was instantly hooked. Once I started reading this book, I couldn't stop until I had finished. It is one of those that when it is over, you struggle to come to terms with the fact that that is it for that story, the plot has come to a close.

This book is a serious MUST READ for anyone who likes adventure, mystery and a sense of danger. I have to admit that even t
  • Montacute House
  • Wasted
  • A Beautiful Lie
  • Mist (Mist, #1)
  • Sky Hawk
  • An Act of Love
  • Lia's Guide to Winning the Lottery
  • Hidden (Hayling Cycle, #1)
  • Hidden Among Us (Hidden Among Us #1)
  • Boy In The Tower
  • Long Reach (Eddie Savage, #1)
  • Who Framed Klaris Cliff?
  • The Truth about Celia Frost
  • Everybody Jam
  • Attica
  • Out of Shadows
  • Lottie Biggs is (not) Mad (Lottie Biggs, #1)
  • Swapped by a Kiss
I live on the Wirral Peninsula with my wife and four children. We have a whole menagerie of dogs and cats and chickens and tortoises. My house overlooks the forbidding marshes of the Dee Estuary which is great for wildlife, spooky mists and wet feet.

I love writing but also enjoy running and playing the mandolin. Running is great because it keeps me fit and I can eat as many chips as I like without
More about Jon Mayhew...

The Mortlock Books (3 books)
  • The Demon Collector