Start by marking “God Came Near” as Want to Read:
God Came Near

God Came Near

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  2,120 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews

Christians want so desperately to see Jesus-to squint through their pain, struggles, fear, and dizzying distractions, and really focus on Him. Now they can, with the help of much-loved pastor Max Lucado! In this newly repackaged edition of a timeless bestseller, beloved author Max Lucado gently leads readers to glimpse the risen Lord in all His glory and feel His loving pr

Published September 30th 2008 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about God Came Near, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Came Near

Erin
Sep 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories that are Lucado's take on stories about Christ throughout the new testament. Makes a good bedside book if you want a short 3-5 page story to read when winding down for bed. Keeps you focused on the important stuff.
Dale
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable, short read

I had just ended a book and was casting about for something to read in my big pile of books in the closet. I came up with God Came Near more as a "Why not?" choice than anything else. I've seen different versions of this book around for years, but I'd never picked it up.

I soon found myself drawn in. Lucado revels in the "God in the small things moments." He also focuses his readers on Jesus the man - not the movie version of Jesus, the untouchable, above it all Holy Ma
Elke (BEroyal)
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was my intention to read a story from this book every day from the advent. I wanted to be more mindful of the fact that Christmas was coming, and not only because I had to buy gifts.
Alas, life does not always go the way I intend it to. But even so, I really enjoyed this, as always. I love how a familiar book can bring so much new things to my attention every time (or old ideas i needed a reminder for). I hope to try (and succeed?) again next year.
Lina
Oct 03, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christian youth
It's been a long time since I read it. Max is good in making such a circumstances that we 're like hearing good-night story preaching from our Sunday school teacher (kind of old one ^_^)
Ann
Aug 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I am a Max Lucado fan. This was my favorite of all his books.
Mandy
Apr 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is more a collection of essays than it is one flowing thought. Great for introspection on God's great sacrifice, the life of Christ and how He is still living with and for us today.
Sam Pauley
Not one of my favorite Mac Lucado books. I'm not 100% sure where he was going with a few of the chapters. The one chapter that confused me the most was about singing candle flames? He never explained the point and how it associated with the book. I was expecting to follow more of Christ through his life, not jump to different topics. In the end, it wasn't a bad book, and had some good points. I do love that his books are easy to read, follow and understand if you are a new or veteran believer.
KaylaW
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book of theology. This is a book of truth. Each chapter is a new story, a new thought, each refreshingly told. This book helped change the way I think about God, and in my opinion, everyone should read this book to reshape their knowledge of God.
Daniel Pyro Cho
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent collection of chapters about bits of stories, ideas, concepts, and poems that really puts you into perspective and think about God and Jesus a little differently, in a better light.
Glenn
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
inspirational
Mary Quire
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly the best Christian study book I've ever read. I highly recommend it.
Michael Boling
Aug 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).” (Matthew 1:25)

The incarnation of Christ is an event remembered each Christmas season; however, it is likely most Christians do not fully understand what the Son of God coming to earth in the flesh was and is really all about. The reality that Jesus, for around 33 years, bled, sweat, got tired, was hungry, and encountered the same things we face on a daily basis is arguably lost
Greg Dill
Sep 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Pure poetry. This is how I can best summarize "God Came Near". Lucado is a master craftsman of the written word. Able to bring new insight and perspective to God's word with language that is beautiful and creative. Emotion is drawn out and deep thoughts are invoked. This is by far the best Lucado book I've read and quite possibly his signature work. If you feel God is some distant cosmic force, then please read "God Came Near" where you will see, hear, and touch God in a very personal way as if ...more
Dan
Oct 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not long ago, I had a conversation with a friend at work about the book You Are Special. When I mentioned the author, he perked up a bit and said "oh, I didn't know he wrote books for children." I responded that I wasn't aware that he wrote books for adults. So - we swapped. He borrowed my copy of You Are Special and I borrowed God Came Near.

As others have noted, this isn't exactly a book with a central plot. It's more a collection of assorted thoughts on various aspects of Christ, his life, and
Rebecca
Jul 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
It was different than I originally thought it would be. Some say it does not have a central plot, and while it does not go like many stories, starting up in one chapter where the other left off, it does have a central idea approached from different angles.

I have always loved Max Lucado's children stories, so when I picked up this book for a school thing, I was already expecting something pretty good. But it took what he says in an underlying message in the kids books to a completely bold and unc
Svetlana
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-books-2013
I found this book when I really needed it. I would describe it in one word "inspiring".
I liked the writing style and that it was a collection of short stories. I just loved the idea of showing Christ not only like a perfect God but also like an average human being who could suffer, who could be tempted, who came so near to all people, to everyone.
This thought really inspired me!
But there is one moment that I didn't like. In the first part of the book there were so many speculations: what Joseph
Audrey
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"This is no run-of-the-mill messiah. His story was extraordinary. He called himself divine, yet allowed a minimum-wage Roman soldier to drive a nail into his wrist. He demanded purity, yet stood for the rights of a repentant whore. He called men to march, yet refused to allow them to call him King. He sent men into all the world, yet equipped them with only bended knees and memories of a resurrected carpenter."

The quote above should be enough to describe what the book is like.

I've read this boo
Angela
Christians want so desperately to see Jesus -- to squint through their pain, struggles, fear, and dizzying distractions, and really focus on Him. Now they can, with the help of much-loved pastor Max Lucado! In this newly repackaged edition of a timeless bestseller, beloved author Max Lucado gently leads readers to glimpse the risen Lord in all His glory and feel His loving presence in their lives. This warm, insightful book offers an irresistible opportunity for seekers and Christians alike to b ...more
Jim Smith
Apr 21, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jim by: Mike Boehmer
A long time ago, a very good friend of mine recommended this book to me. Back then, I read it and absolutely devoured it, completing it in just a few days. A couple months ago, I picked up a copy at a local used book store and decided to read it again. This time, I didn't devour it. I simply read it whenever the urge hit me. The rest of the time, it sat on the nightstand. I only vaguely remembered the book as I read it, now so many years later. I was comforted, challenged and edified by it. It i ...more
Sue
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Christianity, in its purest form, is nothing more than seeing Jesus. Christian service, in its purest form, is nothing more than imitating Him who we see. To see His majesty and to imitate Him...that is the sum of Christianity." (page 161). I include the quote because it so neatly summarizes the book. Section 1 is about seeing Jesus - the One Who came down at Christmas to make a way for us to be with Him. Section 2 focuses on our imitation, or, what will we do with what we have seen.
I particu
Sharran
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the beginning of the book I didn't think I would like it. The book seemed to start out slow and was written in a way that was different than any other book I had read. I guess, in looking back, it was written as a devotional. By the middle and end of the book I would look forward to reading a chapter every day. One attribute I really like about the book is that the chapters are small and stories/devotionals contained in itself so it doesn't take much time at all to read through one each day. ...more
Alexis Neal
Lucado's strength is phrasing well-worn ideas in new ways that strike a chord with his readers. Sadly, while this book has a lot of creative thoughts on the incarnation, it lacks a coherent presentation of the Gospel or any real solid theological teaching. As such, it's a good read for a solid Christian well versed in the Gospel already, or perhaps for younger Christians or non-Christians if combined with other more substantive texts. Still, I appreciate his ability to make me see the familiar l ...more
Hannah
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a jaw-dropper. It is one of those books that you must read one chapter at a time to get the goodness and wonder and flavor of it all. I cannot describe it. Max Lucado is not like any other writer out there- Jesus turns from a religion and king sitting high up in heaven to a guy standing right next to you, making you laugh and see life as the crazy, incredible and fantastic adventure it is, giving you a totally new love for his people. I'm so glad God Came Near for you and me.
Kay
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short stories with scripture basis for the account of his points. ... As always Max Lucado always points away from himself to Jesus (or heavenly things) One does not became drawn ~ addicted ~ to a particular author unless they are writing readable material that in this authors case teaches & reaches his intended audience ... I am an avid reader of Max Lucado just for this reason ...
Marlo
Dec 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wouldn't want a steady diet of Max Lucado, but it's been quite awhile since I picked up one of his books. This was nice Christmas reading (although it would be fine any other time as well). I appreciated the first few chapters more so than the last ones; they helped me to consider different aspects of Christ's life and ministry and reminded me how thankful I am that He came near.
Melanie
Jul 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
even though this is quick reading, one actually needs to read it slowly and absorb. Very interesting. I finished reading this and it really was great. I wish I had someone to share this with so that we could discuss the questions in the back. Guess I'll have to send it to my daughter-in-love, Jen.
Kathy Tracey
I just finished God Came Near by Mac Lucado. Life has been pretty bumpy lately (but who's life doesn't hit a few snags in the road.) It's been lovely to have some quite time occasionally and reflect on some everyday stories where people live their faith and develop connections with family, faith, and God.
Tabitha
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites; I reread it every Christmas.
The first time I read this book was 2 months before my mom was diagnosed with cancer. The focus of this book on little miraculous moments helped prepare me for that difficult time by helping me see God's hand in the small blessings around me when life was clouded over with adversity.
Chad Lamb
Nice short chapters serve as great daily devotionals. Some of them, especially the one about his daughter's near drowning in a family friend's pool, are very poignant and thought-provoking! Lucado is one of the best Christian writers out there.
Amanda
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful compilation, though a little rambly. Lucado's stated goal is to help the reader see Jesus--really see him. And I believe he succeeds. Several times I was brought nearly to tears, and each chapter made me think. This is a book to be savored. Well worth the read.
  • So You Want to Be Like Christ?: Eight Essentials to Get You There
  • Everybody's Normal Till You Get to Know Them
  • Life on the Edge: A Young Adult's Guide to a Meaningful Future
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
  • 20 Hot Potatoes Christians Are Afraid To Touch
  • Just Give Me Jesus
  • Just Walk Across the Room: Simple Steps Pointing People to Faith
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • Living Beyond the Limits: A Life in Sync with God
  • The Mommy Diaries: Finding Yourself in the Daily Adventure
  • So What's the Difference?: A Look at 20 Worldviews, Faiths and Religions and How They Compare to Christianity
  • Death And The Life After
  • Mary Kay: You Can Have It All: Lifetime Wisdom from America's Foremost Woman Entrepreneur
With more than 125 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing September 2017 and is titled Anxious for Nothing.

More about Max Lucado...

“Christ entered our world. As a result, we can enter His.” 20 likes
“There is not a hint of one person who was afraid to draw near him. There were those who mocked him. There were those who were envious of him. There were those who misunderstood him. There were those who revered him. But there was not one person who considered him too holy, too divine, or too celestial to touch. There was not one person who was reluctant to approach him for fear of being rejected. Remember that. Remember” 1 likes