Start by marking “Basketball Jones” as Want to Read:
Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,724 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
AJ Richardson is living the good life. Thanks to his longtime lover, NBA star Dray Jones, he has a gorgeous townhouse in New Orleans, plenty of frequent-flier miles, and an MBA he’s never had to use. Built on a deep and abiding love, their hidden relationship sustains them both. But when Dray’s teammates begin to ask insinuating questions, Dray puts their doubts to rest by ...more
Published January 27th 2009 by Anchor (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Basketball Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Basketball Jones

Carmen
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with an Interest
Sometimes I don't know if I chose the life I lead or if it chose me. No, I don't mean the age-old question about whether or not one picks one's sexual orientation (I know I was born this way), because I've always been comfortable with the skin I'm in. I'm talking about the situation I'm in with Dray. Why couldn't I have picked someone who wanted only to be with me? Why didn't I meet a man who was man enough to admit who he really was?

I remember reading this book when it came out in January of 2
Diane
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome read! spicy,steamy,soap opera and drama filled storyline that will keep everyone reading over and over again because it's that good and so well written...recommend to all..(paperback!)
CrabbyPatty
This is my first E. Lynn Harris book, and while the plot is like a beach read / soap opera, there is just something about the book that made it compelling. A.J. (Aldridge James Richardson) has a 7-year-relationship with Dray Jones, a professional basketball player he met at Clemson when Dray has a freshman (and A.J. a senior getting his degree in architectural design).

A.J. is the keeper of the secret - devoting his life to Dray, setting aside his career (other than charity projects) and ready t
Reno
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first novel I read by E. Lynn Harris. It's about a guy named AJ who is in love with Dray, an NBA basketball star. For me, it played out a little too much like a soap opera, but I can appreciate the sincerity in AJ's voice. What resonated for me was how honest their love was for each other, even if they had to succumb to society's pressures. In the end, does love prevail?

With the passing of E. Lynn Harris, I appreciate his contribution to the literary world, tackling controversial con
Ozimandias
I've read several of Harris's books and am deeply grateful to him for even writing books for the broad market about not only gay men, but minority gay men. That I can say without reserve. I tend to lose my admiration however, when I start reading the books, which tend to be about the gossipy and intriguing lives of a supposed African American elite, where everyone is wealthy, beautiful and still connected to their mamas and comfort food. In this book, you have a beautiful black man with soccer b ...more
Shelby P
Aug 20, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anne Holcomb
All right, I'll admit that I picked up the audio book of "Basketball Jones" because of its cover image! : ) This is the first book I have read/listened to by E. Lynn Harris and I'm very sorry to see he passed away in 2009 because I think I am a fan. The story centers around an issue I had never really thought about before: closeted gay male athletes in professional sports.

Aldridge "AJ" Richardson is the secret boyfriend of a hot NBA player, Drayton Jones. Dray has been taking care of AJ ever sin
LD  Durham
This book was tossed at me, so I walked into it pretty blind. But I admit after the first page I was hooked.

I've read E. Lynn Harris before. In fact, his was the very first gay book I ever touched back in my early teen years. And, amazingly enough, it dealt with the exact same thing: a gay man falling in love with and willing to play secret lover to a "straight" guy. Angst and frustration abounds. But Harris got me to feel not just frustration at witnessing the story, but I felt the same push-p
OOSA
Feb 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Time Out

E. Lynn Harris' latest endeavor, "Basketball Jones," takes readers into a very familiar setting. Aldridge James "AJ" Richardson is an openly gay man. The love of his life, however, is not. Dray Jones, an NBA player, has been involved with AJ since college. Because of society's prejudices, his status as an athlete, and his family, AJ has been sworn to secrecy about their relationship. But when someone threatens it all, is it time to come out of the closet?

"Basketball Jones" is a very quic
Elisa
Sep 06, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Much of this was a soap opera. There did become a mystery element halfway through, and I was intrigued to see how that would play out. But for most of it it was kind of a sappy romance novel. The characterizations were strong, but of a variety of weak-willed characters!

It was, however, a very quick read. I read it in one afternoon!
LIVE!! Cleveland Cavaliers VS Brooklyn Nets | Online 1 1 Nov 22, 2017 07:06AM
  • Up To No Good
  • The Devil is a Lie
  • Who's Loving You (Honey Diaries, #2)
  • Waking with Enemies (Gideon Series #2)
  • Grown Folks Business
  • Here and Now
  • Seduction
E. Lynn Harris was born in Flint, Michigan and raised, along with three sisters, in Little Rock, Arkansas. He attended the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville where he was the school's first black yearbook editor, the first black male Razorbacks cheerleader, and the president of his fraternity. He graduated with honors with a degree in journalism.

Harris sold computers for IBM, Hewlett-Packard,
More about E. Lynn Harris...