Start by marking “The New Competitive Runner's Handbook” as Want to Read:
The New Competitive Runner's Handbook

The New Competitive Runner's Handbook

Whether you regularly participate, or want to participate, in the excitement of competitive running, The New Competitive Runner's Handbook has all the information you need to compete--and win.

It includes:

A basic training program Special workouts to increase your strength, endurance, and power Specific preparation programs for all races - with special emphasis on the 10K a
Published April 1st 1988 by Penguin Books (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The New Competitive Runner's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Competitive Runner's Handbook

MichelleCH
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for 'everything you ever wanted to know about running'. As a runner who is a novice and wants to build speed, Glover manages to motivate without causing me too much despair over things I can't control (ie. those pesky things called genetics). At a minimum you get a great technical description of tempo runs, stride and intervals and can then talk the lingo like a pro. I see that this will be a classic handbook and can never go out of fashion.
Rachel
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good advice on all types of running, training plans, mental encouragement. I read this while I was training for a 10k and a half marathon. I had my own plans but this was good to read to work alongside my plans. It does have advice for 5ks as well as marathons. Nice book to keep and refer back too!
Mark
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought after running the marathon, I would be sick of running. That didn't happen. However, after reading this book, I was sick of running. And I wasn't even running!

This book is a very exhaustive guide to all things running - there are chapters on what to eat, how to run in different weather, running for women (FUN FACT: menstruation and birth control effect performance), running for kids, running for Olds, etc etc. There's a chapter on each race distance, 5 on the marathon, and training sc
Wendy Budetti
Jul 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“That’s one of the things I love about running- thanks to what it takes to push yourself, you really get to know yourself, and what kind of mental toughness you have. Once you’ve realized you’re capable of, and that the negative voice inside your head shouldn’t always win, this can have a powerful impact on how you conduct the rest of your life.”

I really enjoyed the competitive running book. It’s a little (okay! maybe a lot!) more than I need right now, but it gave me a lot of good information.
Chris Van Dyke
Apr 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Pretty much the advanced runner's bible - if you want a question answered, from "how should I recover from runner's knee" to "what's a good training schedule for a half-marathon if i currently run 12 miles a week and have 12 weeks to train," this is the place to go. It's also a great way of making sure whatever ego you have is constantly deflated, as Glover casually tosses out statements like "if you find running 60 miles a week is too much, don't be embarassed to cut down to 50," or "I always t ...more
Myridian
Oct 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all runners
Shelves: nonfiction
When I bought this book I thought the title was simply Runner's Handbook. I was a little concerned when I realized it was for competitive runners that it would be written at too high a level for my 2-half-marathon, 10-minute-per-mile-running legs. It wasn't. The book covers a broad range of topics with an easy, readable style that changed what could be stereo instructions into an amusing guide on how to get the most out of your running body. While both Bob and Shelly-lynn Glover are credited as ...more
Tracy Adkins
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Runners
Shelves: fitness
So far I have found this book to be very interesting. I am currently in chapter 27 titled "Mental Training" and have found it chock full of tips on how to mentally prepare for a race as well as how to stay mentally focused during the race. Even though I've been a runner for some time, I still read the chapters geared towards novice runners and have gleaned some great information. So far, I highly recommend this book!
Christopher
Lots of good advice, training schedules, tips for preparation and training. However, this book is a collection of short chapters that read more like pamphlets that the author has accumulated over time. Chapters become repetitive quickly, and removing redundant information would probably cut the page count of this book drastically. I would recommend it only because I have not come across a better book.
Amy
Feb 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this to learn more about the "right" way to run, train, eat, etc. I had no idea I would really enjoy it. Parts are like an anatomy and physiology text book, but really fascinating. I no longer feel intimidated by running long distances like I used to. Learning the Details has really eliminated my fears. Very motivating and informative.
Brandon
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a novice runner, I found this a helpful overview of the different aspects of running, from speed training to dressing for cold weather runs. It's more a reference than a book to read cover to cover. The most helpful parts were the chapters detailing how to design a training plan based on your individual goals rather than just googling "half marathon training plan."
Angela
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of it is a little outdated at this point, but still lots of really good information & tips, & written in a highly amusing & easy-to-read style. Especially good for people just getting started, I think. If you've been running for a while, there probably isn't as much that will be all that new.
Nat
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running-sports
The author can be a bit condescending at times but I've gleaned many useful tips from this book, mostly several years ago when I was testing myself at new distances. There are some neat charts and such in here too.
Jessica
I am going to start running again, even though it really does seem to be bad for my yin. I'm going to do the Bronx Half next month, and see if I get too yanged out, then go from there. In the meantime, guess I will scare up some books to try and improve my situation a little in the weeks left.
Christina
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: more serious racers, half-marathoners
Shelves: health, non-fiction
I bought this because it addresses half-marathons whereas the Runner's Handbook doesn't. About half the basic material is directly copied from the RH, but the new stuff is for more serious, faster racers who run 9 min/mile pace and under.
Katie
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great reference book for all things running, from training plans to a detailed section on nipple chafing. Sometimes it can be a little much, but it was handy to have around as I was training for half and full marathons this year.
Teri
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book can answer nearly every question a person might have about running. It really is a great resource, even though it is 8 years old. I especially liked the chapters about running nutrition and race tactics. Hopefully they do another revised edition soon; if they do, I'd buy it!
Xra
Feb 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book. If you want to take your running to the next level get this book!

This book is not for those who want to *just* finish a race. This book is for those who want to train and finish a race in the best possible time they can.

Karmologyclinic
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running, not-fiction
Solid information for runners. Made me understand how not to hurt myself while running, both by avoiding over-training and by correcting my weak points. May be a bit dated at some points, but for that you have the internet.
Good as a reference for anything, from training programs to stretching.
Jeremy
Aug 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners
This is an amazingly comprehensive book on every element of running from form to pacing to fueling to shoes to everything else. If you are a runner or a runner-to-be, this is a MUST HAVE
Mtalley2
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have started to long distance run. I am out of practice but starting circut training. This book offers lots of sound advice. Has made running easier.
Mark Fallon
A good manual for people with little running experience or a coach.A little dated (1999) so no mention of the web, GPS, etc. But the basics are there.
Vasanth Gopal
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first book on running... worth the read...
Tina Milledge
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sitting in the sun reading the chapters on 'injury' and 'cross training during injury'. Excellent book to dip in and out of.
Allie Mullin
Good reference book for running.
Mike Todl
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are an experienced runner, or even a novice, this book is a treasure trove of information. Charts and stats deluxe, I can’t say enough good things about this book.
Lisa
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I would recommend this book for anyone interested in running competitively at any level. It's full of helpful information and very comprehensive.
Andreas Michaelides
This book is amazing, it literally covers anything you can think about running, it’s a must have for everyone that wants to call his or her self a runner.
Marc Strozyk
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book on all aspects of running. You can use it as a reference, which I do a lot, or read it from cover to cover. Excellently written and very clear.
Sue
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
It's pretty informative to the new racer.
Ruhegeist
Borrowed from a friend when I thought to start running. Beyond me. What I need more is someone to kick my butt to get out and start.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • Galloway's Book on Running
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Running
  • Daniels' Running Formula
  • Lore of Running
  • The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • Training Essentials for Ultrarunning: How to Train Smarter, Race Faster, and Maximize Your Ultramarathon Performance
  • How to Avoid Being Killed in a War Zone: The Essential Survival Guide for Dangerous Places
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Running Through the Wall: Personal Encounters with the Ultramarathon
  • The Complete Book of Running For Women
  • The Triathlete's Training Bible
  • Meditation As Medicine: Activate the Power of Your Natural Healing Force
  • The Complete Book of Running
  • The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond ""the Wall""
  • Running Anatomy
  • Meditation for the Love of It: Enjoying Your Own Deepest Experience
Bob Glover is best known as an author of instructional running books. He is author of the book The Runner's Handbook: The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners, which is a best-seller trade paperback. Another Glover book, The Competitive Runner's Handbook has sold nearly 200,000 copies.
Glover is also notable for his coaching. In 1978, he directed his first New Yo