Start by marking “Sex and the Soul of a Woman: The Reality of Love & Romance in an Age of Casual Sex” as Want to Read:

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Recapture Your Heart's Truest Longings Deep in her heart, every woman longs for a man to see her beauty and cherish it. We long to be pursued and courted, and to make love to someone who truly loves us for keeps. expectation of depth, intimacy, or commitment. We're expected to handle our relationships with men with no jealousy when they're threatened, no fear of their endi ...more
Published February 22nd 2004 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published February 17th 2004)

Erin Meredith
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An eloquent and compelling read!

"Before any man appeared in your life, you were loved by God. You were given worth and honor by the only One truly worthy of such. To embrace this is to be set free. When you can look at a man and know that he can't give you what you most long for - worth and love and a sense of identity - then you are free to be loved by him. The most he can ever do (which, in itself, is no small thing) is to give witness to the worth God already invests in you. But you must clai
Emily
Jul 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Honest and thought-provoking. Entirely without the cheesiness that one would expect from this type of book. Much preferred it to Staci Eldridges 'captivating'. Very convicting, would reccomend to most women.
Brigett
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, beautiful book.. And to my delight, spot on the Word of God. A must read for anyone (I dare enter males too..) ever living in our time.
Patrick Lavey
Outstanding book. Unfortunately, many females in our culture can relate to this subject in far too many ways. They have sacrificed their birthright of reflecting the beauty and mystery of God in exchange for the false and fleeting illusion of love ... and they have dolled out portions of their soul in the process. This book is very positive and uplifting, without ever watering down the truth. It is forthright and spot on. Most importantly ... It shows women who have made this exchange how they c ...more
Marissa
Jul 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: christianity
Sex and the Soul of a Woman was lent to me by a friend who was too frustrated to finish what was a well-intentioned gift before her wedding. This is one of the most interesting, thought-provoking books to come out of Evangelical Christianity that I've come across - I find myself not having as much to say to this book as I initially thought: Rinehart writes a much, much better (if somewhat saccharine) book about female sexuality than anything out of this genre I've read in my life. Sex and the So ...more
Shannon
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Not a shame-y Christian book on sex at all, thank god.

It's a lot more liberating / independent woman than I thought it would be (while still saying that sex should be within a marriage). Quotes like the follow are what did it for me:

“Coming into a relationship with a man from the emotional vantage point of knowing deep in your soul that you are already loved is liberating. Before any man appeared in your life, you were loved by God. You were given worth and honor by the only one truly worthy of
Christy Spader
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This book has great elements, written, it seems, primarily for those who long to follow Christ but perhaps have a present or past history in this area. To me, this book seems to lack a complete portrayal of what it means that God created men and women as sexual beings, as part of the imago dei. This book helpfully highlights the value of waiting, the forgiveness and mercy given to those who are ridden with guilt or shame, but it fails to address what healthy sexuality means, beyond simply, "sex ...more
Groups
Per Tracey Scholen:

Author writes about the impact of sexual relationships outside of marriage. She shows how to break free from the bondage of misused sexuality and how to create a whole new start with men. One of the most well-written books on the effects of pre-marital sex that I have ever read. Author communicates in a way that in no way condemns but instead gives the 'why' behind God's desire for sexual purity.

6 weeks, 1 hour per week
book format, unsure about questions included

Possible shelv
Nina
Mar 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any woman who hurts from being used sexually
Recommended to Nina by: I found it at a Christian book Store
Shelves: non-fiction
This book brought comfort in my life in a time where I needed reassurance that I deserved to be treated one way and one way alone. Like the body of Christ. It gave me courage to stand up for myself and gave me strength. No longer do woman need to lower their standards or expectations. No longer do woman need to fill that empty void by men. They are incapable for filling that eternal void anyway. No longer do woman need to be stepped upon and felt as if they are the lowest of the low.
Autumn
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching-books
I really enjoyed the authors perspective in this book. Often books on this subject are preachy but this one was compassionate and kind. I felt that it gives an understanding of why so called sexual freedom of expression isn't working in our society...even though some may not realize that it's the core reason for many of our social problems today. But more than that it is an awakening to the cry of a woman's heart to be loved unconditionally, forever!
Lorna
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
Recommended to Lorna by: friend
Chapt. 7-Getting Back Your Heart, includes effective (TPM style) material a person can use to invite healing into their life. When we believe Satan's lies, "This is the unholy sequence: a wound gives birth to a lie that turns into a lens through which we see life and relationships in a distorted way." The author deals with the reality of love and romance in an age of casual sex. Good reference book.
Courtney
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was so relevant for what I'm going through right now. It was perfectly timed, and opened my eyes to so many things. Rinehart does a great job or intertwining real accounts with her vital relationship information. A friend recommended it, and upon hearing her description, I took notes throuhout the book for reference later. I highly recommend this for all women and even men.
Angel
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
addresses many cultural perspectives that women are misled by, addresses misuse and misunderstanding of the importance of body -- the power of women in relationships with men. Rinehart does a great job in tying in the Biblical importance and significance to all these assertions that serve to empower women to recover.
Jen
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was ok. I liked the first half better than the second half. I'm keeping it, because the first half was so good, I noted a bunch of quotes. I may not have been in the right mood for the book. I'll give it another chance later, maybe.
Erin Sullivan
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book for anyone working through any sort of sexual history. It is real, transparent and rooted in Gods word. It is a very powerful read.
Dana
Dec 20, 2008 added it
interesting. Supposed to help me out at Gateway -- a free sexual health resource center.
Ebeth
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
paula rinehart speaks honestly and protectively about women's hearts, what it is we offer to a man, and the sacred nature of sex.
Bethany
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
An amazing perspective on sex which creates a hope for change.
Michelle
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. If only I had read this earlier in life... What a blessing it is to have read it now. A must read for every woman.
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Good, some parts weren't applicable to me..
Chelsea
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazing and exactly what I needed. Paula delved into all of the issues with dealing with a past. So wonderful and definitely a blessing!
Erika
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this book about once a year. It really helps you see and understand your power and value as a woman, single or married.
Cortney
Apr 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every woman needs to read this book, especially when still young in order to avoid the pitfalls that come with love, sex, and the depths these meanings touch in a woman.
Sharon Simmons
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book your daughters should read
Nikki
Aug 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Its a eye opener...might have to read it again to get the full meaning of it.
Nancy
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago and I can't recommend it enough--whether you are married or single it is a must-read for all women.
Chase Steely
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this book to see if I would recommend it to some of the women in my life. I have to say that I would. It was very interesting reading from a strictly female perspective on this subject.
Laura Jessick
rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2016
Zipporah
Feb 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Sex and the Supremacy of Christ
  • Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And 8 Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt
  • True Faced: Trust God and Others with Who You Really Are
  • Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World
  • Big Girls Don't Whine: Getting On With the Great Life God Intends
  • The Fantasy Fallacy: Exposing the Deeper Meaning Behind Sexual Thoughts
  • A Grace Revealed: How God Redeems the Story of Your Life
  • No Perfect People Allowed: Creating a Come-as-You-Are Culture in the Church
  • Little Platinum Book of Cha-Ching: 32.5 Strategies to Ring Your Own (Cash) Register in Business and Personal Success
  • 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life
  • Peace of Soul: Timeless Wisdom on Finding Serenity and Joy by the Century's Most Acclaimed Catholic Bishop
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • My Life for Yours: A Walk Though the Christian Home

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Shakespeare Never Did This
    $6.99 $1.99
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $7.95 $2.49
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate