Start by marking “Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney (Mrs. Jeffries #18)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  470 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
A Dirty Business ... Inspector Witherspoon is perplexed. No one seems to know the identity of the dead man dressed like a vicar and propped up against the outside wall of St Paul's Church. A paper clutched in the corpse's hand reveals the address of a dilapidated and seemingly abandoned cottage - abandoned if you don't count the human skeleton stuffed in the chimney. To li ...more
Published January 6th 2004 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Jeffries Sweeps the Chimney

Gerry
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mrs Jeffries keeps house for Inspector Witherspoon and assists him in all his investigations. In addition she recruits all the house staff to help her so that, as well as the Inspector and his forces, there is a team of amateurs involved in every investigation.

There are two murders in this one and it is a mystery as to how they have occurred and, of course, who committed them. Well into the book Wiggans, one of the house staff, comments, 'Nothing about this case makes much sense. I can't make hi
Carol
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book. Enjoyable characters.
D. Martin
Mar 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of what my wife calls nosy old lady mysteries. They come in different varieties. Sometimes it's a spinster down the lane, or a retired librarian, or a moustached and waddling little foreigner, or a British "consulting detective" with a double brimmed cap. Either way, there's an individual who has nothing better to do than solve murders that don't involve him or her. Frankly, I don't care that they don't belong in the investigation. A killer will be uncovered, and that's what matters!

Bu
Melissa
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old school detective work with no forensics or DNA to help out, because it simply wans't invented yet! A detective's entire household staff gets on the case (without his knowledge) and put bits and pieces of the mystery together to help their boss solve a crime without ever letting him know it. Great stuff!
Carol
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing - the police inspector is a bit of a dolt, and only solves crimes because his household staff figure things out. The writing is erratic - sometimes characters speak with Cockney accents, dropping their "h"s, and other times they don't.
Teresa Wright
A quick read. While I was able to figure out the murderer fairly quickly, it was a cute little story. You do need to shut your brain down a little and ignore the fact that the inspector is a little naive and dense, that everyone seems to know that it is the household staff that solves the mysteries, and yet the inspector is highly respected. Not to mention the cookie-cutter characters, the occasional use of modern slang, and side stories that go no where. But like I said, it's a nice way to wast ...more
Jennie
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another delightful book in the series. Easy to read and interesting plot. Prequel to "The One Who Got Away". Series always great for travel reading.
Jessica
I really did enjoy the story. The characters are as familiar and lively as ever and the mystery, though fairly obvious, is well-written. There was one part, however, that bothered me. The chimney. (view spoiler) ...more
Dharia Scarab
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

4 sta
Barb Martin
Seemingly, half of London knows that Mrs. Jeffries and the other members of Inspector Witherspoon's staff are helping to solve his murder cases. This time, a man dressed as a vicar is found shot to death outside of a church. He is clutching an address that reveals a second body. Are the murders connected? Coincidence? Mrs. Jeffries and I both solved this crime. Good times. As usual, this book is a quiet little romp.
Babs
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
Just finished this 2nd book. I started this series in the middle as some of them you can not get anymore at least around here. I enjoyed seeing Mrs Jeffries and the staff help the inspector again on his new case. The more I read about the characters they more you want to know them. I will keep reading this cozy series.
Duffy
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-next
In general I wanted to give this 5 stars but some of the writing in this book was off ... Problems with the story line for Smythe and some of her sentences were choppy and didn't flow as smoothly as some of her previous books. Interesting plot - but a choppy delivery. But I will definitely continue reading these ...
Cindy
I enjoyed this book more the first time I read it. I really like the characters, but I have the same problem with this book as I did with another recent read - too much interior monologue. I don't want a recap of the action several times, I just want to get on with the action. The identity of the murderer wasn't exactly a huge surprise either, but it was still a fun read.
Pam
Shelves: mystery
My Rating System:
Josephine (Jo)
1st December 2009.

Enjoyable light read. As the Story is set in Victorian London I found the American terms and spelling a little off -putting, but the plot was interesting.
Christine
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, victorian

This might be my favorite in the series--an excellent book to enjoy late at night over a glass of sherry!
Kathryn
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
interesting mystery, an unusual murder and i liked the premise of the book (household staff solves the inspector's murders for him without him knowing.) i think i want to read more of the series.
Lorraine
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best from the series.
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2016
Joyce Datz
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you like mysteries, you will love her books!

Great recommendation Leslie!
Brandie
May 19, 2012
Sharon Stille
Apr 29, 2015
  • Fire When Ready (Manor House #7)
  • Death at Devil's Bridge (Kathryn Ardleigh, #4)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Point of Honour (Mrs. Pargeter, #6)
  • Yankee Doodle Dead (Death on Demand, #10)
  • Murder Can Spoil Your Appetite (Desiree Shapiro Mystery, #7)
  • Puzzled Indemnity (Puzzle Lady #16)
  • His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)
  • Goodnight Sweet Prince (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #1)
  • The Hangman's Row Enquiry (Ivy Beasley, #1)
Cheryl Lanham was born on 11 October 1948 in the Appalachian mountains of West Virginia, USA. Her family moved to Southern California in 1959 and she grew up in Pasadena. After graduating from California State University, she decided to work her way around the world and took off for England. She didn’t get much further because she met Richard James Arguile, the Englishman who became her husband, g ...more
More about Emily Brightwell...

Mrs. Jeffries (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Dusts for Clues (Mrs. Jeffries, #2)
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes Stock (Mrs. Jeffries, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Ball (Mrs. Jeffries, #5)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Plays the Cook (Mrs. Jeffries, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries and the Missing Alibi (Mrs. Jeffries, #8)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Stands Corrected (Mrs. Jeffries, #9)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Takes the Stage (Mrs. Jeffries, #10)