Start by marking “Dinner with Dad Dinner with Dad” as Want to Read:
Dinner with Dad Dinner with Dad

Dinner with Dad Dinner with Dad

"Our kitchen is small, the appliances dated. We don't have a fancy six-burner stove or double wall oven like some of our wealthier neighbors. But as I remove the second pizza from the oven, the kitchen feels perfect: neither too big nor too small, neither too old nor too new. The kind of kitchen where my brother can enter carrying both my son and my daughter in his arms."
Published May 22nd 2007 by Random House (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Dinner with Dad Dinner with Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dinner with Dad Dinner with Dad

Jessica
Mar 18, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone - you don't have to be a parent to enjoy it
Shelves: cooking-food
In Dinner With Dad the author decides to cut back on his 80+ hour-a-week work schedule to actually be home for dinner with his family 5 nights a week and cook for at least 2 of those nights. He struggles with working less and worrying about providing monetarily for his family, with picky kids and with trying to cook new foods and inspire his kids to try new dishes. I think Stracher is a good writer and he makes this book very interesting. I especially appreciate his honesty in his worries and ab ...more
Wendy
Feb 22, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nonfiction about a dad-lawyer who realizes his life and family have been sucked away from him and decides to eat dinner with his family 5 nights a week for a year and cook half of the time. He complicates his life a little by trying to force his small children to become foodies, but overall it was neat to see how the act of having dinner with family together really changed the relationships and dynamics of the family. Sadly, at the end of the year I don't think they could finacially keep it up. ...more
Trissa
Aug 13, 2008 Trissa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any other self-absorbed man who likes to cook
Wait, what's that sound? Oh, it's the smallest violin in the world. And it's playing for a self-absorbed, over-educated, privledged over-achiever who treats his family like he treats everything in his life: just another individual goal he sets for himself and expects everyone and everything else to fall in line.

Interesting that he IS the cliche he misquotes (Bloom's Bobos in Paradise, NOT Bobos in America).

The only shocker was that he didn't fly to Tuscany to learn, first hand, how to make fres
Jan 21, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yawn. A blog-turned book. Guy decides to spend more time with his family through cooking dinner a bunch.
Oct 01, 2007 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs
One man's search for balance in the suburbs of NYC. A quick read, and not especially enlightening.
Vivian
May 14, 2012 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a book club at PWPL where we each brought a dish to share that our father made or liked. I decided to make a huckleberry, actually mixed berry pie. Pop started me on pie making with bringing home a bunch of bananas, setting them on the table and saying "Here, Vivian, make me a banana creme pie." Now when Pop asked you to do something, you didn't turn him down, so I made my first pie. The crust was tough, the filling runny, and the meringue shrank, but Pop said it was the best pie ...more
Erik Lee
I bought this slim volume after reading Stracher's Double Billing. I should've not clicked the purchase button if my post-Double Billing review was any indication of the writer's strengths, but I trusted that this later published book would be more polished and a better indication of his Iowa MFA.

Simply put, this was not meant to be published. Yeah, the book is about him being the "father of the year" with his heroic pay-cuts and dad-cooked fancy entrees, but all this could remain as a series o
Anne
Jul 17, 2008 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fairly well written, is a quick read, and is entertaining. Many of the observations and conclusions are either obvious or cliche. Guess what...if you live in the 'burbs outside Manhattan it costs a lot. And you'll probably need to work really hard to afford it all and then you may end up never seeing your family. And depending on what kind of person you are, you might feel bad about it. Basically, this guy felt bad about it and pledged to be home more with his family. Cue life chang ...more
Mandy Brazee
Oct 18, 2007 Mandy Brazee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents who like to cook; parents of picky eaters
This book was excellent. Now I want him to put out a Dinner with Dad cookbook. The recipes he talks about making sound delicious and I want them! Anyway, I hope Alexandre isn't going to be picky like his kids are. It sounds scary trying to cook for them and I'm surprised that didn't drive him from the table.
Sue Kozlowski
Nov 06, 2012 Sue Kozlowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Non-fiction. I loved it. Family lives in Westport, CT. Wife is Christine, son Simon, and daughter Lulu. He works in NYC and is never home. Decides to try to change - will be home 5 nights a week for dinner. Hard to afford it financially but he says it is worth it!
Ellie Revert
Very interesting true story about a man reclaiming his family after many years on the treadmill of financial concerns. Great idea.
Maureen
Aug 20, 2009 Maureen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My friend's brother wrote this book...so I smile every time I read "Uncle Adam"! Good memoir with interesting insights about the fall of family dinnertime in America.
Angela
May 25, 2009 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up with the books set out for Father's Day. I enjoy having a husband who likes to cook and help me out in the kitchen(not all of the time but sometimes! ;0)
Melody
Sep 19, 2007 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overachieving lawyer misses his kids & cuts back on working so he can cook dinner at home. The tone was too yuppified for me, but there were warm moments as well.
Kristin
Nov 15, 2007 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
A great book about what it really means to be part of a family, not just going through the motions of day-to-day life, but actually living that life with those you love. A good read.
Susie
Sep 19, 2007 Susie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 300s
Dad's a real bore-goose whiner, but I couldn't put it down.
Benny
Nov 19, 2011 Benny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not really an option with my career, good to see how to make it work and the unforseen complications of being home so much.

I really want to get the black bean burrito recipe.
Tamar
Tamar rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2007
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2015
Amy Markley
Amy Markley rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2007
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
May 16, 2014
Debbie Maskus
Debbie Maskus rated it it was ok
Oct 14, 2009
M
M rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Marigold5442
Marigold5442 rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2015
Elaysee
Elaysee rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Cameron Stracher practices and teaches law. His writing has appeared in the New York Times, the New York Times Magazine, and the Wall Street Journal, among other publications. He lives in Westport, CT, with his wife, two children, and two dogs, not necessarily in that order.
More about Cameron Stracher...