Start by marking “The Sackett Brand” as Want to Read:
The Sackett Brand

The Sackett Brand

(The Sacketts #10)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  3,876 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
Forty gunslingers from the Lazy A have got Tell Sackett cornered under the Mogollon Rim. They're fixing to hang him if they can capture him alive, fill him extra full of lead if they can't. But the Sacketts don't cotton to that kind of treatment. Hunt one Sackett and you hunt 'em all. So they're riding in from all over—mountain Sacketts, outlaws, cattlemen, bankers and the ...more
Published October 1st 1985 by Bantam (first published June 1965)

To ask other readers questions about The Sackett Brand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sackett Brand

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtryTrue Grit by Charles PortisBlood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West by Cormac McCarthyAll the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthyNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Best Westerns
957 books — 1,111 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenThe Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
"Bucket List" Books
678 books — 260 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob Proffitt
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: western
Probably the best of those I've read so far, though I felt oddly disconnected from it. That's probably because I recently read The Lonely Men and that one is further in the timeline and also features Tell. So while I didn't know details, I knew enough that I wasn't fully engaged in the current story. I don't know what idiot created this order for the series, but it's mildly insane.

Anyway, Poor Ange. I can't help feeling she got really short shrift. The bulk of this story is Tell thrashing under
Kayla
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The 16th and second to last book in the Sackett series. This was a great book! Tell Sackett is my favorite Sackett. Poor Tell just can't catch a break. He endures tragedy in the beginning of the book and vows to make the people responsible pay. But it seems he has taken on more than he can handle and as a result the entire Sackett clan comes from all over to help Tell escape with his life.

I loved the ending and the way LL wrote the perspectives to show the way all of the other Sacketts started
Michael Kennard
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Read most of Louis Lamour's books when I was in my late teens and early twenties. They are important to me as they were some of the first books that got me into the reading habit. For that I shall be forever grateful
Deanna
8/2018 Reread: This book always makes me cry with its fierce family loyalty. Our family listens to this book over and over. If I could name another kid I’d name him Sackett. The Sackett’s are just that cool.
Brent
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: louis-lamour
The hunted becomes the hunter in what might be my favorite Sacketts book yet.
Eric Parsons
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The continuing saga of the Sackett family, most notably William Tell Sackett, is told here in The Sackett Brand, given by a line from the outlaw Nolan Sackett while in a bar in a western town, as one of perseverance and revenge. Tell Sackett is shot from behind and falls into a creek while away from his wife, Ange. When he returns to find that Ange has been murdered, Tell goes to rather long lengths to find the man who killed his wife. When news spreads that Tell is in trouble, numerous Sacketts ...more
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite stories of L'Amour. It is a sad story in many ways because of what happens to Ange and to Tell but it is also a story of great courage and sacrifice. Tell goes through so much to try and find the man that killed Ange. The odds are stacked against him but he never gives up even when he knows that he isn't going to get out alive. The other great thing about this story is that so many Sacketts show up to help Tell. I love how each group finds out and how they drop everyth ...more
David Miller
Mar 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was just about the very first book to make a strong impression on me as a youngster, first learning to read. Coming back to it again after all these years was quite an experience.

L'Amour sure knows how to tell a story. The plot is straightforward, the motivations primary: love, lust, revenge, family. The family part is what got to me so many years ago. The idea that all the members of a far-flung family would drop whatever they were doing and converge to help their brother/cousin/what-have-
James Biser
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
This is one of the better Sackett stories. William Tell Sackett is a great character. In this story a group learns that when you take on a single Sackett, you take on the whole clan. Everyone should read this to learn a few things about family.
Barbara Lee Wood
ANGE KELLY SACKETT

Now they've done it, brought the WRATH of Tell Sackett down on their heads. While Tell went to find a trail down to beautiful valley in the Teton Mountains, Ange Kelly Sackett, his new bride of one month waited until he returned. Unbeknownst to both Tell and Ange, someone was following them from the town of Globe. This man was used to getting what he wanted without any repercussions, but this time he picked the wrong woman to attack. The rapist name Vance Allen, part owner of t
Jean
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Tell Sackett has finally married Ange, his own true love. They are heading west to start their own life together. However, Tell is nearly murdered and returns to find his wife gone without a trace.

I hated some of the story, because I wanted a happy ending for Tell and Ange and that wasn't to be (she is found murdered -- this happens early in the book, so I'm not giving away anything). I loved other parts of it. I think the message is that with family, you are never really alone.

If you like Weste
Michael W.
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Energized read about a gritty form of justice in the face of handsome, successful evil. The kind of evil the uses people, then tosses them aside. The kind of justice the endures because it really is justice on behalf of others who have been wrangled and wronged, but can no longer speak.

Typical L'Amour tale, told in his gripping fashion. The kind of tale that draws the reader in, page-turning, passionate, and proud. The type of story that makes one glad of valor and family. I happily recommend th
Violet
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: westerns
There is a big clan of Sacketts. They settled in the Tennessee mountains and as the years passed, some headed west. This is a story about William Tell Sackett; the death of his wife, Ange, and Tell's fight to stay alive while hunting his wife's killer in the mountains and avoiding the 40 men that were hunting for him. The Tell menfolk, some of which, Tell had never met, rush to his aid for the last showdown. If you like westerns, you will like this one.
Shawn
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: westerns
This takes up almost right after Mojave Crossing with the story of Tell and Ange. It takes a dark turn and turns into a thrilling man hunt and trial of survival through the canyons of the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. Many Sacketts, familiar and new, arrive to come to Tell's aid and gives this book a classic Western revenge movie feel. As with all L'Amour books, the story telling is crisp, the descriptions beautiful, and there is plenty of philosophical musings about the mores and norms of the West.
Eva
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
A sadly lackluster L'Amour book. I mainly picked it up for the interesting premise of a bunch of Sacketts coming to help Tell, but that only made up a small part of the book. Ended up skimming through quite a bit of it. And I didn't appreciate the implication at the end that Tyrel participated in the gun battle at the end because this came after The Daybreakers and it totally goes against the ending of that book.
Gerald M. Bycroft
Best sacketts book ever !!!.

All the Sacketts come to the aid of Tell Sackett when they hear he is being hunted after his wife was killed. The all the Sacketts in the surrounding area come to his aid. It's just a matter of do they get there before he is dead or before he kills his hunters. Which is it going to be. Best book ever in the Sackett series.
Joseph Woodburn
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Good for teaching morals to the young. Respect for different people. The basics of right and wrong as well as describing perseverance and determination.
Paul Omerza
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was fun to listen to this book describe a lot of geography in Central Arizona that I am familiar with.
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
The Sackett saga continues with the deadly adventures of William Tell Sackett. This time he gets into a mess of trouble and most of the Sackett clan rallies in support.
Blake Hiatt
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this years ago. Enjoyed it.
Weisser
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Have always loved Louis L'Amour's books. The Sackett brothers have held me captive for years. I miss his style and character development. Very descriptive of a time long ago in the 'wild west'.
James Spears
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway
I enjoyed this novel very much. The plotting was fast and suspenseful.
minz
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
it had some action and some shooting but it was a little bit too far off the reservation as to just what a lucky / super hero he turns out to be (although it is kind of the theme of the book series).
patrick barber
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sackett Brand review.

By far one of the best of the Sackett novels. Highly recommend to anyone who likes westerns. The whole series is worth your time
Michael
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best of the Sackett Brand

I've read the whole series of the Sackett's and this is my favorite book. Great story line. Louis L'Amour is one of greatest author's.
Peter Pactor
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a very good book. I didn't want to put it down. I think it was this book, when I read it 40+ years ago that taught me the lesson: Never mess with a Sackett.
Robynn
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the better written books, although I didn't like the story. L'Amour is very mean to Tell. Very mean.
Matt Pitts
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the content is tougher than what I’m used to in L’Amour’s books, but the story is powerful and moving.
Anu Lal
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
SALMAN RUSHDIE AND THE HUNTED COWBOY: Why is it important to run in our time?

If you could read Salman Rushdie’s latest book Joseph Anton stripped off the subtitle autobiography, you may very likely find the story of a hunted man. Certainly, something draws us towards the plight of the hunted. Perhaps, every one of us might have been in situations that are little different, at some point in time. Or we fear, sometimes, we might be forced to live in the shoes of those who live in constant fear fr
Dennis Brock
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: louis-l-amour
(4.5 Stars) I really liked this book. I enjoyed Jubal Sackett just a tad bit more but still they were both great!
Reading Louis L'Amour for 2016 - February 3 5 Jul 22, 2017 05:11PM
  • Under the Tonto Rim
  • The Untamed (Dan Barry, #1)
  • The Range Robbers
  • Helltown Massacre (The Family Jensen, #2)
  • Nevada! (Wagons West, #8)
  • Hombre
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
-Wikipedia

The Sacketts (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sackett's Land
  • To the Far Blue Mountains (Sacketts, #2)
  • The Warrior's Path
  • Jubal Sackett
  • Ride the River
  • The Daybreakers
  • Lando
  • Sackett
  • Mojave Crossing
  • The Sky-Liners
“A quiet man I was, and not one to provoke a quarrel, but if set upon I would fight back. I do not say this in boasting, for it was as much a part of me as the beating of my heart. It was bred in the blood-line of those from whom I come, and I could not be other than I am.” 2 likes
“They know that when a man holds a gun he more” 0 likes