Start by marking “Cocktails for Three” as Want to Read:
Cocktails for Three

Cocktails for Three

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  33,054 Ratings  ·  1,078 Reviews
Madeleine Wickham, who writes the internationally bestselling Shopaholic series as Sophie Kinsella, has penned an irresistibly dishy and entertaining novel about three savvy young women and the secrets they share over monthly drinks.

Roxanne: glamorous, self-confident, with a secret lover -- a married man

Maggie: capable and high-achieving, until she finds the one thing she
Published March 31st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Cocktails for Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cocktails for Three

Margitte
FROM THE BLURB
Roxanne: glamorous, self-confident, with a secret lover -- a married man

Maggie: capable and high-achieving, until she finds the one thing she can't cope with -- motherhood

Candice: honest, decent, or so she believes -- until a ghost from her past turns up

...'In Cocktails for Three', Madeleine Wickham combines her trademark humor with remarkable insight to create an edgy, romantic tale of secrets, strangers, and a splash of scandal.
The Cocktail Club: Maggie Phillips, or Mrs. Drakef
Andrea Guy
This is probably the most painful chicklit book I've ever read. I love when Madeliene writes as Sophie Kinsella, so I thought I'd give this book a go.

Big mistake.

I've had it out from the library for over a month and I'm finally finished with it.

This one was truly phoned in.

Anyone that couldn't guess what Heather is up to or about to be up to almost from the instant she is introduced, isn't paying attention to the story.

Then there are the characters. None of them are what you call great people. M
Kelly
This book was just okay. Honestly, I love Madeleine Wickham when she writes as Sophie Kinsella because the books are light and they usually make me laugh. But this is the second go that I've had with Madeleine Wickham and, even though logically I know it's the same person, I just think that she loses some of her mojo when she's not writing as Sophie Kinsella. This book was a perfect example of that - she had three characters that were okay, but the front says that its "deliciously funny... witty ...more
rebekah
Sep 01, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sophie kinsella fans
I picked this one up from my friend Dani(new to goodreads) the snippet on the cover proclaims the book to be "deliciously wicked and witty and funny" or something to that effect. Dani gave me her review before lending it out, "it's not deliciously witty and funny but it's pretty good. " I must say, I agree. I am a fan of the Shopaholic books so I thought I would give this book a shot and as I am traveling I needed an easy plane read. It was not as polished or funny(actually I didn't find it all ...more
Janille N G
I am a huge fan of Madeleine Wickham…or rather, I should say that I am a huge fan of her when she writes under her pen name, Sophie Kinsella. That’s right, the author of this little known chick lit. novel is in fact the hugely famous writer of the Shopaholic series, among other awesome stories (shout out to I’ve Got Your Number, my personal favourite!). Although I’ve read almost all of Kinsella’s novels, I had never picked up one of Wickham’s, until a few days ago.

I’ve owned Cocktails for Three
Ciara
Mar 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
maybe it's more of a one & a half star book. i didn't LOATHE it...but i also didn't like it.

the book centers around three friends & colleagues. they all work for a magazine called "the londoner". roxanne is a freelancer who travels the world & writes hotel reviews, as far as i can tell. candice does more investigative reporting, & maggie is the editor. maggie is extremely pregnant & about to go on maternity leave when the book opens. her secret is that she feels woefully unpr
Bhargavi Balachandran
It's no secret that i love Sophie Kinsella's writing.As a corollary, i assumed that i would like Madeleine Wickham's writing as well.After all,it was by the same author. I wouldn't say i was entirely right. The writing styles are as different as morning and night. Whereas,Kinsella enthralls you with her witty writing, Madeline's writing is more restrained and mature.I haven't read any other Madeleine novel and might run the risk of over-generalizing.

Cocktails for three is about the lives of 3 yo
Love Fool
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three successful young women in the magazine business meet on the first day of every month for cocktails in a London bar and reveal secrets that could undermine their lives and relationships.

This book reminded me of my friends and I which is maybe why I loved it. I appreciated how each woman was at a different phase in her life and the problems each faced. I highly recommend this book for any age. It was funny and the characters were relatable. Enjoy it with your favorite cocktail.
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads, chic-lit
Loved the story .. The three friends , their friendship, their issues and the writing. And was surprised at the end to discover that the author was Sophie Kinsella writing in another name.
An Odd1
Funny quips amid troubles. Not short-lived champagne fizz of ambitious or frivolous rich, more bitter beer of everyday (female) human woes. Outer conversations and inner thoughts both sound real. Situations resolve believably with resources we have seen, no deus ex machina out of the blue. Ordinary working people accept misfortunes, quietly realize truths, move on, bolstered by unconditional friendship (love). "We shouldn't keep secrets or put on acts for each other. None of us should ever feel ...more
Kricket
i think i've read everything sophie kinsella's written, but this is my first foray into madeleine wickham. it is not, as my husband assumed from the title, about a threesome, but about three best friends who meet at a bar once a month for cocktails. each is hiding a deep secret from the others but in the end, they all come out in a cathartic rush of relief and friendship.

as another reviewer pointed out, the cover advertises "cocktails for three" as "deliciously witty and funny." funny it is not.
Jami
As much as I love all the books Wickham writes as Sophie Kinsella, I have found that I just don't like anything she write under her actual name. This book was horribly depressing from the get-go. One character is being taken advantage of by a girl she's trying to help, and you can see where it's all going -- she'll probably lose her job and friends because of it. Another character just had a baby and is dealing with postpartum depression. And the third character has been in a relationship with a ...more
Kimberly
May 08, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New moms, alcoholics
Shelves: chicklit, newmoms, loaned
Aidan loaned me this book. I think I may have traded for my Jenny McCarthy collection, though unintentionally. I liked it, then I didn't because it was way too predictable, but now I like it again. It is about 3 friends, one a new mom, one a likely alcoholic who is her boss's mistress and the other being taken advantage of by a blast from the past.
Gina
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was cute except I can't stand when pregnant ladies drink cocktails. Yuck!
Ellen De Jaegher
Een boek van Wickham/kinsella spreekt de buikspieren normaal aan. Bij dit boek bleef ik toch wat op mijn honger zitten. Het verhaal nam vaak sprongen van het ene personage naar het andere dat het soms moeilijk maakte om te volgen.
De 3 vriendinnen die elke eerste dag van de maand afspreken in de manhatan bar hebben ieders hun eigen leven met eigen geheimen. Ze zijn elkaars beste vriendin maar als puntje bij paaltje komt is het blijkbaar toch ieders voor zicht.
Als Maggie moet gaan bevallen, trek
Heather Zabrowski
This was an alright book overall. The story wasn't great and was pretty predictable. The plot gave me the feels of a lifetime movie.
I was loving all of Sophie Kinsella's novels and decided to follow up with her Madeleine Wickham works. This was the first of those that I read, and it set me off to not really planning on reading anymore of her works.
Heather Alderman
I was looking for a light, quick read and got that, but unfortunately, it was very predictable and I never could connect with the 3 main characters. Skimmed the last half.
Krissi
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought the book was just ok. It started out slow but definitely got more interesting towards the middle and end- enough to keep me from putting it down and starting something new.
Melissa
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rachel Wolohan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was so disappointed in this book. I really like Sophie Kinsella, but this was my first book under Madeline Wickham. I didn't like any of the characters. The plot took a very different twist than I was expecting from just judging it by the cover.
Szawanah S
Dec 01, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books
frankly, i dont read this book front to end. i simply skip the pages where Heather are in. i hate the Heather part. even when they first met her. i know that she is up for no good. how stupid for candice to not know it. duh! so i just read the first half of the book, without skipping any pages, then grew tired of Heather than skipped most of Heather part, then resume reading all when Candice realize that Heather was nothing but a scumbag i.e when Roxanne secret lover, Ralph (i forget the name al ...more
Katie
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Books by Madeleine Wickham (the real name of Sophie Kinsella) are the types of books you read when you're lying in the sun on holiday. You read it because it's easy and quick and, frankly, because it's the only book you packed.

I predicted what was going to happen very quickly and I was right. I wanted to be shocked or, at the very least, feel something but it was just all so ... blah. The characters in Wickham's books are always rich with pretentious names (I mean noone is actually called Giles)
Kelly
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Cocktails for Three" is one of those books that was just made for summer.....read it by the pool while sipping a strawberry daquiri. Reading any book by Madeleine Wickham is wonderful for zoning out...mindless entertainment with a heart. You may know Wickham better by her pen name, Miss Sophie Kinsella, the queen of British chick lit.

This is the story of three best friends...each one with a secret. There is Candice, with a childlike innocence and a terrible past; Maggie, a new mother who does n
Tiffany
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After several girlfriends let me in on the fact that one of my favorite authors (Sophie Kinsella) was actually a pen name for Madeleine Wickham and that Madeleine had various novels published, I was eager to read them! Cocktails for three is the first of Madeleine's novels that I've read and I devoured it wholeheartedly.

Cocktails for Three follows the lives of three women who work together and are friends. Outside of work they meet up once a month at the Manhattan bar to catch up with one anothe
Machel
Nov 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I am already swept away by the main characters: Candace, Maggie and Roxanne. I have the strongest affinity for Candace. Three thirty-something women friends meet once a month at an upscale bar in London. They all three happen to be working at a magazine together, too. EACH has a secret that is about to unfold and weave the story together...
SK a.k.a is a master at sharp contemporary dialogue, especially of women's characters. I still vividly remember many of her books because the character
Tiffany
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
Madeline Wickham as herself is not as superior as Sophie Kinsella her ghost writer name. The author of the Shopaholic series writes a thousand times more fun, witty books than when she writes under her own name. A friend of mine gave me this book for xmas, and I finally got around to reading it a couple weeks ago. I found that some of the characters could have been a little more fleshed out, and that the ending seemed a bit raced and a little too wrapped in a neat bow for my taste. I also think ...more
Emma Streets
it was ok i geuss. The best thing about this book was the writing nothing particularily jumps out at me for the positives.
i couldnt connect with any of the characters, i like they all had thier flaws but their was nothing special they was just bland for me. i wont remember them at all.
There were themes in this book i did not like and there was a couple of moments that i wont mention becuase spoilers but it kind of disgusted me.
I could put this book down and nothing really made me want to pick i
Shannon Savory
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book took me a little longer to finish then most I even started a diffrent book while reading this one. But that is not a reflection on this book but rather my reluctance to read a book from this genre. I was surprised how I well I related to Maggie being a mother I could see she really captured the feelings of many new mothers including myself. For a while she was my least favorite character but that did not last. This book was so well written that I needed to know what was going to happen ...more
Marie
Les aventures de Maggie, Candice et Roxanne, trois amies et collègues londoniennes qui se retrouvent régulièrement autour d'un cocktail. Candice reconnaît un soir Heather, la serveuse du bar à l'une de leur soirée, comme la victime d'un incident passé dont son père est responsable. Heather ne la reconnait pas, mais Candice décide de l'aider, pour rattraper les erreurs passées de son père.

Un roman sympa et qui se lit facilement, moins drôle que d'autres de Sophie Kinsella (généralement les roman
Michelle
Okay, it's not the best book on the planet or anything--it's just chick lit. But it served its purpose. I read it in one night and I just needed something girly, something based in London. It was my first Madeleine Wickham book (I've read all of Sophie Kinsella's books as Kinsella, but just not as Wickham). And I was happy that she got away from her usual formula of neurotic woman that makes a mess, fixes her mess in the nick of time, and ends up with some handsome, completely stable, usually we ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: Cocktails For Three by Madeleine Wickham 1 13 Jan 30, 2015 08:20AM
  • Six Geese A-Laying
  • Little White Lies
  • The Other Woman
  • Slightly Settled (Slightly, #2)
  • Weekend in Paris
  • Misery Loves Cabernet (Charlize Edwards, #2)
  • A Hopeless Romantic
  • I Did (But I Wouldn't Now) (Crandell Sisters, #2)
  • Shoe Addicts Anonymous (Shoe Addict, #1)
  • American Girls about Town
  • Diary of a Mad Bride
  • Asking for Trouble
  • The Little Lady Agency (The Little Lady Agency, #1)
  • The Debutante Divorcee
  • Girls' Night In
Madeleine Wickham (born 12 December 1969) is a bestselling British author under her pseudonym, Sophie Kinsella. Educated at New College, Oxford, she worked as a financial journalist before turning to fiction. She is best known for writing a popular series of chick-lit novels. The Shopaholic novels series focuses on the misadventures of Becky Bloomwood, a financial journalist who cannot manage her ...more
More about Madeleine Wickham

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
  • Don Quixote
  • The Golden Notebook
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
  • The Grass Is Singing
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Misremembered Man (Tailorstown #1)
  • The Odyssey
  • Post Office
    $11.24 $1.99
  • For Every Season: Book Three in the Amish Vines and Orchards Series
    $11.99 $2.99
  • One Night in Winter: A Novel (P.S.)
  • Those Who Save Us
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Tangled Vines (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 2)
  • The Lake House
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
  • The Tin Horse
  • The King Must Die: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Red Skies (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Book 4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Ultimate Betrayal (A Reverend Curtis Black Novel Book 12)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Distant Echoes, Black Sands, Dangerous Depths, Midnight Sea, and Holy Night (Aloha Reef #1-4)
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Between Sundays
  • Worthy
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Queen of This Realm (Queens of England, #2)
    $11.99 $11.99
“A tree falls in the forest, thought Roxanne, staring bleakly out of the window. A man tells a woman he loves her. But if no-one is present to hear it does he really make a sound? Did it really happen?” 15 likes