Start by marking “Soul Music” as Want to Read:
Soul Music

Soul Music (Discworld #16)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  55,013 Ratings  ·  1,318 Reviews
When her dear old Granddad -- the Grim Reaperhimself -- goes missing, Susan takes over the family business. The progeny of Death's adopted daughter and his apprentice, she shows real talent for the trade. That is until a little string in her heart goes twang.With a head full of dreams and a pocketful of lint, Imp the Bard lands in Ankh-Morpork, yearning to become a rock st ...more
Published July 17th 2007 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 19th 1994)

Lyn
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sex, drugs and rock and roll in the Discworld.

Except there’s really not any sex to speak of, and … to be honest really not any drugs either.

But 1 out of three ain’t bad, er, well, I guess that’s 33 percent, so really not that good but …

But in Sir Terry Pratchett’s able writing, it is good, as the Discworld experiences rock and roll –

or actually, Music with Rocks In as performed by The Band with Rocks In.

Imp Y Celyn (which literally means "bud of holly,") calls himself Buddy, and his band mates G
Emer
Discworld Playlist:

1) "There's a Great Deal of Shaking Happening"
2) "Give Me That Music With Rocks In"
3) "Pathway to Paradise"
4) "Born to Rune"

two and a half stars
Kalin
Jan 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Soul Music was, I guess, my first true love. Um, I mean with Terry Pratchett. Um, I mean ... you know what I mean. :D

So much so that when I had to pick the topic of my 4,000-word IB extended essay, there was no room for doubt. It had to be Susan. And Death. And the Music With Rocks In. And the life-saving, human-defining importance of rebellion. (Teen angst, ha! teen me would fume. What d'you grown-ups know?)

Meet 4,000-word essay here:

WARNING: Even though this is the
Ivan
I re-read this book slowly past few weeks.So slowly I even forgot to added it to GR.

Sadly my initial opinion still remains:This is the worst Discworld book I read (but not worst Pratchett's book that title goes to Long earth).That doesn't mean it's bad book but it's way bellow sir Terry's best works.Death is my second favorite Discworld character (first one being Sam Vimes) but like in Thief of time him Susan ended in totally uninteresting plot with overall very weak cast of characters.
Soul musi
Brooke
Jul 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2012
I am convinced that Sir Pratchett wrote this book for the sole reason of putting in a "grateful Death" joke.

It wasn't my favorite Discworld book, but the phrase "Music With Rocks In" is so charmingly Pratchett that I kind of wanted to hug it.
Ashley
“He had the feeling, once again, that he’d missed out on something somewhere. He’d never really realized it until the last couple of days. He didn’t know what it was. He just wanted to do things. He didn’t know what they were. But he wanted to do them soon.”

“There are millions of chords. There are millions of numbers. And everyone forgets the one that is a zero. But without the zero, numbers are just arithmetic. Without the empty chord, music is just noise.”

It was just happenstance that the firs
Melki
Now do you believe in rock and roll?
Can music save your mortal soul?
Don MacLean

A fab foursome causes wizards to shake, rattle and roll, and manages to bring some hot times (not to mention broken furniture) to the Mended Drum. Suddenly, there's an earworm loose in Discworld, and now everyone's got their toes-a-tappin' and a song in their hearts.

Though I can't say exactly what was wrong, this one fell flat for me. It squeaks by with 3 stars ONLY because I liked the Death of Rats, Susan, the swing
Bilbo Baggins
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars!!!
This is probably going to be my favorite Discworld book ever!!! Loved it!
YouKneeK
Every now and then, we get one of those “real world stuff bleeds into the Discworld” books. For example, Moving Pictures involved, as you might guess, a sudden discovery of and obsession about movies. With a Discworld flare, of course. Those books are the ones I seem to enjoy the least. Soul Music is the third book in the Death subseries, and it was one of those types of books. In this case, the sudden discovery and obsession is for rock and roll music although, in Discworld, it goes by the name ...more
Gavin
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not up there with the best of his stuff, but I should point out at this juncture that since Guards Guards he's been getting marked on a scale relative only to his other books. If I'd picked up this book last week written by some po-dunk nobody it'd be getting five stars and I'd be desperately googling them for websites, blogs and news of their next release.

Soul Music is a slightly unbalanced pair of narratives, one about the infringing of rock and roll into the Discworld and the other a rather s
Igor Ljubuncic
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: terry-pratchett
40 books on my Pratchett shelf, 40 books to review, if I write one now, there'll 39 books on my Pratchet shelf left to review.

But it should be interesting.

The way I remember it, through the first half of the DW series, Terry was busy exploring existentialism in different ways, with witches, death (and associates), a fast-running coward, the genius Night Watch (my favorite) ...

... before he finally nailed it. He eventually got well comfortable with his own writing, and the series picked up pace,
Tfitoby
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Remain In Print
Sir Terry Pratchett
1948 - 2015

Once upon a time I was given a book voucher from my school and with that book voucher I went straight out and made sure I could actually own a Discworld novel rather than having to go to the library. It just so happened to be that small window in time when I would have preferred a Disc novel about music with rocks in than one with moving pictures, and so for a while Soul Music was my favourite book about life on Disc.

I went on to criticise the anima
Richard
Sep 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
6.5/10

Another solid entry into the Discworld series and the Death sub series (although Death has a relatively small amount of screen time) which this time tackles Rock 'n Roll coming to the Discworld. I love Rock 'n Roll and I enjoy humour so what's not to like?

The book started really well and got two differing strands of story line going, one with Rock 'n Roll and the other with Death going AWOL so his Granddaughter, Susan, has to take up the mantle and start to run the show. As the story progr
Malin
Susan Sto Helit goes to a boarding school, and for the lessons she's less interested in, she has a tendency to fade into the woodwork - literally. Susan has the ability to fade away, should she so wish it. Turns out, this is because her grandfather is none other than Death, and when he goes missing, Susan, as his closest relative, is required to take over his duties for a while. Being deeply pragmatic and rational, thanks to her first rate education, it takes Susan a while to be persuaded, even ...more
Julie Davis
Not the best but enjoyable enough, as are even the least of Terry Pratchett's books. This one is notable for introducing Death's granddaughter, Susan, who takes on a similar role to that we'll see her in later in the much superior Hogfather. It is highly reminiscent of Moving Pictures which the characters, in true self-awareness, comment upon themselves. However, Pratchett's points are always worth pondering and his adventures surrounding the life force that music can take on is, as I said, enjo ...more
Kaethe
19 Feb 2008
20 Jun 2014
25 Aug 2016

Death takes a sort of holiday, so the Death of Rats goes looking for Death's granddaughter to fill the gap. Susan is off in boarding school, being an unusually practical teenager with no memory of her grandfather, when she gets the message. Meanwhile a bard, a troll, and a dwarf meet up and form a band and a magical guitar introduces the idea of Music with Rocks in to the Discworld.

The magic that is unleashed has more to do with lampooning record company contract
Ben Crozier
Falls into the category of Disc World novels where he is moving through obvious targets such as the music or film industry lacks the bite or philosophical insight you would hope or expect.
David Sarkies
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: You known who you are
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: comedy
Rock n Roll invades the Discworld
26 July 2014

Well, I can't believe that I have just finished my 16th Terry Pratchett Discworld novel, and that is over two years (no, not sixteen books in two years, 16 Discworld novels in two years) since I decided that I would give Pratchett the benefit of the doubt and actually read them again prior to writing up a commentary, and this isn't even the last of the Discworld novels on my 'to read' list (I think there are another six, which would bring it up to Th
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
I love the Death books. They're my favourite within the Discworld, closely followed by the Witches.

Gotta love some Music With Rocks In It.
Mitticus
(Leí este libro a dos bandas, en inglés y en español al mismo tiempo, así que probablemente debería valer por dos)

Probably you'll enjoy more this book if you like music, or should I say if you have something to do with music or music business.

Is the story of a band of friends that joins the rocky way that leads for a new form of music, a sort of infection of strange proportions that affects to almost all in Discworld.

And it is the story of a grandfather and his granddaughter trying to understan
Daniel
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Iskreno rečeno ovo mi je nekako do sada najslabija knjiga u disk svetu. Glavni problem je što imam osećaj ko da sam već čitao knjigu pošto mi dosta stavri podseća na Erika. I sam humor mi u većem delu nije bio tolko zabavan. Ima par baš smešnih situacija ali sve ukupan osećaj je na žalost više jedan veliki MEH.

Al dobro idemo dalje.
Menteith
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To this day, this book remains the best commentary on rock and roll, and the rock and roll phenomenon, that I have ever read.

The book opens with Death deciding to retire... again. This time, there's no apprentice to fill the shoes, but the apprentice had a daughter... Death's daughter. So the task of being Death falls on a young girl in a boarding school for rich, noble children who knows nothing about the skeletons in the family closet. Death of Rats, along with Albert, attempt to educate her,
Miss Abernathy
Sep 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
«Quizá incluso una música podía estar viva, si era lo bastante vieja. La vida es un hábito. La gente decía: «No puedo quitarme de la cabeza esa dichosa canción…».
No un mero ritmo, sino el latido de un corazón.
Y cualquier cosa viva quiere reproducirse.»

He disfrutado muchísimo leyéndolo, a pesar de que en un principio sentía recelo de leerlo porque al no ser una fanática del rock me daba miedo no entender las posibles referencias musicales. No ha sido así, sí que Terry hace referencias pero no res
Esmerelda Weatherwax
I am a huge, mega huge, unbelievably devoted Discworld fanatic. However, this is probably my least favorite in the DEATH mini series. I'm not sure why it didn't work for me as much as others did, I think the over-all message that I always look for was sort of lacking. It was fun, it was funny, and of course since it's DEATH that bumped it up a notch because his dialogue as always was spot on. I just didn't care much for the musical sub plot in the book.
Jeraviz
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humor
Tercer libro del arco argumental de la Muerte. El menos redondo de los tres precisamente porque la Muerte pierde algo de protagonismo centrándose la narración en su nieta, Susan Sto, y en otros secundarios.
Pero aún así, vuelve a conseguir a través del humor llegarte al alma, usando como temas principales la Música y el Deseo en esta ocasión.
Una vez termines tendrás ganas de escuchar la Música con Rocas Dentro.
Marko Radosavljevic
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Visokoumna satira čovečanstva,sa propratnom pričom o muzici,šoubiznisu i porodičnom nasledju,ispisana bez usiljenosti.Bolno istinito pogadja u metu.Ako još neko u mojoj okolini prokomentariše da Pračet piše za decu,šaljem ga kod Vajmsa na prevaspitavanje :-)
Cassandra
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wie immer ein kluger Lesespaß und ein vergnüglicher Aufenthalt auf der Scheibenwelt.
Rev. Nyarkoleptek
With the exception of The Color of Magic, this is the only Discworld novel I did not like. I'm not entirely sure why; maybe when compared with the lofty subject matter Pratchett has tackled in the other books, a fantasy novel about rock music seemed frivolous. Pratchett definitely belabored the Elf jokes (you'd recognize them); really, once was enough, and twice was pushing it. Past that, I was telling the pages that I got the joke, and would they cut it out. They didn't listen.

However, if I app
Nenado
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maj-biblioteq
Kada pročitate: E TO JE PRAVA MUZIKA, S KAMENJEM I ROKANJEM - znate odmah kakav je naslov u pitanju. Duševna muzika. Teri Pračet. Naravno.
Ovo je urnebesna storija o tome kako i na koji način je muzika deo svih nas. A sama muzika, ne može da umre :))
Na kraju, samo da dodam još ovo: Smrt je uvek znala da imenuje stvari pravim imenom, bar tako kaže legenda :D
Chip
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I've decided that I think DEATH is best as a sidekick. My favorite Discworld books so far have been Mort and now Soul Music and I tend to like him best when he is part of the ensemble not just meandering around on his own. Perhaps best though is when DEATH sort of abdicates his role to another and we get to see what happens when they take on the role.

Without further ado,

CHARACTERS: 4*/5*
UNIVERSE: 4.85*
PLOT: 4*

Susan was a definite 5* character that I quickly grew to enjoy having around. She g
  • The Sprouts of Wrath
  • Ye Gods!
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Knights Of Madness

More about Terry Pratchett

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches, #1)
  • Mort (Death, #1; Discworld, #4)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.” 415 likes
“It was sad music. But it waved its sadness like a battle flag. It said the universe had done all it could, but you were still alive.” 159 likes