Start by marking “Chasing Grace: Reflections of a Catholic Girl, Grown Up” as Want to Read:
Chasing Grace: Reflections of a Catholic Girl, Grown Up

Chasing Grace: Reflections of a Catholic Girl, Grown Up

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
From the author of the "absolutely absorbing" (USA Today) memoir Undercurrents comes an unforgettable portrait of childhood, family and community. The eldest child of a devout Irish-American Catholic family, Martha Manning weaves her story around the seven holy sacraments: baptism, penance, communion, confirmation, holy orders, marriage and last rites. She recalls her chil ...more
Published August 5th 1997 by HarperOne (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Grace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Grace

Katie
Jan 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who was raised Catholic or went to Catholic school
Witty and life-like. Laugh out loud at points. There was a lot I could relate to in this book, but if you don't have connections to the Catholic church, it may not be as funny.
Aug 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite books (if not my absolute fave). it's been on my shelf-- torn and tattered by now-- for over 10 years. i can't say that a guy would really appreciate it, but if you're even a slightly introspective woman, i think you'd enjoy.
Andrea
Apr 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book combines several of my favorite themes - growing up Catholic, faith outside religion, psychology... I enjoyed it immensely and look forward to reading some of her otehr books.
Rosie
Jan 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Catholics
Anyone who grew up Catholic and went to Catholic School would appreciate this
Madelaine Landry
MY FAVORITE MEMOIR! It mirrors my own life so closely and Manning's style is phenomenal! a must read for anyone who grew up Catholic!
Leslie
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the perfect book for my nightstand. Each chapter stands alone, and is witty and wonderful, but true as well. I find myself agreeing with the author on so many issues, but often, I have never even thought about them, much less articulated. Just resonated with me. I have read this several times, and bought out all the copies B&N had when they were in the Bargain Books pile. I have since given them all away! Maureen was the funniest: she tried to read it, wasn't impressed and then put i ...more
Marilyn
Mar 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Having had a Catholic school education for 8 years in the 1950s and 1960s, I always enjoy reading about other people who had nuns for teachers. Every nun who ever taught in a grade school at that time must have learned their teaching methods from the same very old, very mean head nun. Or maybe the nuns were all mean because they had to wear those crazy outfits!
Cyndi Chauvin
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Funny, realistic outlook on Catholic upbringing, could really relate with most things. Dont know how my 18yr old Daughter acquired this book and she doesn't remember either for she never read it. Found it, dusted it off, gave it a try. It's not biased in any way at all and thats what I liked most about it. Liked some of the quotes too.
Kate
Aug 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, but know I would have liked it more if I had some of those common Catholic experiences that were mentioned so many times. I found it a little disorienting at times because it was not chronological - instead being organized by topic.
Karen Okamoto
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Chasing Grace was a wonderful, funny book that I absolutely loved. It made me want to share my funny moments with my original family, and continue to have the great times with my family now. Read it, learn from it, enjoy it, ....never put it down until you finish it! It is great!
Jamie Sunderland
Jul 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another of my all time favorite books. This is a laugh-out-loud-until-your-sides-hurt book, with many tender, insightful, and wise moments as well. If you were raised Catholic and have a sense of humor, this book is for you. If you don't know anything about the Catholic faith, read it anyway!
Nancy
Oct 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Pretty funny if you grew up in a large, Catholic, Irish family and went to Catholic school.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2013 rated it liked it
It was good, but it wasn't what I expected it to be. I didn't get the sense of how Catholocism affected some of the decisions or played a part of some of the stories.
Emily Anderson
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Martha Manning's writing style!
Judy
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
easy read, laugh out loud book
Peg Goldsbury
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a book by Martha Manning that I didn't love! All the better when I can laugh through it
Mary Rita
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Anyone who was raised Catholic (or those that enjoy a good laugh) should read this book. It's very entertaining & was an easy read.
Carlina
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
very boring!
Christy Medlock Browning
Nov 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommending to my church for a book club reading. Excellent! Laugh out loud funny, but introspective as well.
Sheila
Jul 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Catholics
Hilarious. A must Read for all Irish Catholics! Added bonus if you went to any sort of Sunday School or Catholic School.
Peg Bailey
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!
Mellanie C
Aug 28, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Missy
Jun 03, 2011 added it
This book is similar to Mickey's book.
Sarah Sliva
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read and reread and reread this book... I've kept it since high school on my shelf (almost 20 years now)!
Aubree Bowling
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
This was a book I wanted to be a humorous memoir and instead it was more a collection of contemplative essays. Which wasn't what I hoped to read, so I was a bit bored and let down.
Marcia
  • The House on Beartown Road: A Memoir of Learning and Forgetting
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Help at Any Cost: How the Troubled-Teen Industry Cons Parents and Hurts Kids
  • Outsiders Within: Writing on Transracial Adoption
  • A Life of Her Own: The Transformation of a Countrywoman in 20th-Century France
  • Your Competent Child: Toward New Basic Values for the Family
  • Almost There
  • Lost In Place: Growing Up Absurd in Suburbia
  • Gob's Grief
  • Golden Afternoon
  • True North: A Memoir
  • A Superstitious Christmas (Grandberry Falls, #0.5)
  • A House in Corfu
  • The Eloquent Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis: A Portrait in Her Own Words (With a One-Hour DVD Insert from A&E Biography)