Start by marking “Breakfast of Champions” as Want to Read:
Breakfast of Champions

Breakfast of Champions

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  189,820 Ratings  ·  5,402 Reviews
Breakfast of Champions, is vintage Vonnegut. One of his favorite characters, aging writer Kilgore Trout, finds to his horror that a Midwest car dealer is taking his fiction as truth. The result is murderously funny satire as Vonnegut looks at war, sex, racism, success, politics, and pollution in America and reminds us how to see the truth.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published September 23rd 2009 by The Dial Press (first published May 28th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Breakfast of Champions, please sign up.

Cj My favorite Vonnegut book is 'Bluebeard.' While not as humorous as his other books, though still funny, it is an excellent read. It tugs at the heart…moreMy favorite Vonnegut book is 'Bluebeard.' While not as humorous as his other books, though still funny, it is an excellent read. It tugs at the heart strings a bit in it's sentimentality. (less)
Connie Harper Yes - I didn't love Slaughterhouse Five, but I thought Breakfast of Champions was mind-blowing genius.

Honey
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am about to finish Kurt Vonnegut's Breakfast of Champions. I checked out the book from the Multnomah County Library four weeks ago. I've never read anything by Kurt Vonnegut before. The book looks like this:

[image error]

I'm enjoying the book because it feels easy to read. I'm not enjoying the book because parts of it induce discomfort. There are many things in the universe that make me feel the opposite of discomfort. One of those things is a lava lamp.

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

A lava lamp emi
Barry Pierce
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Manic depressives and Drāno enthusiasts
A novel is a dead tree with words on it. Breakfast of Champions is a great dead tree with words on it.
Emily May
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
I have a little inner book snob that desperately wants to like Vonnegut. In the very unlikely event that I should find myself at a convention of bookish intellectuals, I feel like I'd fit right in if I sipped my champagne and said "Oh yes, indeed, I simply adore what Vonnegut has to say about the absence of free will..."

This is the kind of bollocks that runs through my mind on a daily basis.

Unfortunately, I just don't find him that funny most of the time. Perhaps jokes about open beavers are fu
Tim P
Jul 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
God, what a terrible book of nonsense.

The two main characters are just overly weird and bizarre for the sake of being bizarre. And I mean really really bizarre. (I suspect many people say they like Vonnegut because he is so damn weird, but theres gotta be a purpose to it. You can't just have completely random ridiculous thoughts that do not have any purpose towards the message of the story. When you do that, its like the intellectual version of VH1 reality; people love it for shock value, while
Joe
Jul 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with bad chemicals in their heads
Good old Kurt (God rest his soul) has truly helped me understand what all this fuss is about "wide open beavers".
This is a quick and rewarding read (with funny drawings) that makes you think about the world in a totally new way. I love how Vonnegut writes about America as a civilization which died out long ago and is addressing an audience who knows nothing of it.
This book is hilarious and heart-breaking at the same time. It follows a sci-fi author (Trout) of Vonnegut's own creation who meets a
Lisa
The Emperor’s New Clothes,

As retold by Kurt Vonnegut, taking a leak (view spoiler) in front of Humanity to mirror their fictionalized realities!

(Vonnegut was apparently capable of prophetically foreshadowing what would happen to America in the 21st century, when leaks are indeed mirrors of the country's general condition! America is really taking the piss, and he KNEW it would happen.)

Once upon a time, there was a
Anthony Vacca
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Back before I nicked a diploma and put that particular time and place in the rearview, there were only two authors that nearly all of my fellow Liberal Arts College English majors blabbered-on about unendingly: Chuck Palahniuk and Kurt Vonnegut. (Lucky for us all that the Second Coming of Christ didn’t happen just once but twice!) Even though I had read and liked Slaughterhouse Five as a young, emotionally-stunted and delusional fifteen year-old, I had also dutifully read through six of Chucky’s ...more
Lyn
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my earliest favorites and I have gone back to revisit several times over the years.

In high school I was both amazed and hooked by Vonnegut's wry humor and devilish mid-western charm. I have since caught on to the more serious metaphors and themes into which he delves. But the humor drew me in initially and makes me think of Vonnegut today.

Insanity explained as a chemical imbalance and dysfunctional families, relationships and communities described as matter of factly as a still l
Bookdragon Sean
I needed this book. You have no idea how much so. Vonnegut is just so hilarious. There is a certain sense of wisdom in perfect irony, and Vonnegut’s irony is anything but perfect. It boarders upon the outrageous and plain mad. His ideas are crazy yet strangely perceptive; it’s like he sees beyond the idiotic surface world of human culture, of life itself, and makes fun of it. He points at it and has a good old laugh. If you read his books, he’ll share it with you too! He's good like that.

“The t
Ahmad Sharabiani
Breakfast of Champions or Goodbye Blue Monday, Kurt Vonnegut
عنوان: صبحانه قهرمانان؛ نویسنده: کورت ونه گات؛ مترجم: راضیه رحمانی؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ققنوس، 1393، در 312 ص، مصور، شابک: 9786002781147؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان امریکایی - قرن 20 م
صبحانه قهرمانان رمانی طنزآمیز است. دغدغه های ذهن نويسنده، درباره ی دو پیرمرد سفیدپوست لاغر اندام، که روی سیاره ای در حال مرگ زندگی میکنند. کیلگور تراوت، نویسنده ای پرکار و در عین حال ناکام است، که به جز یک نفر، هیچکس انبوه کتابها و داستانهای او را نخوانده ا
Justin
Apr 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So this guy, Dwayne Hoover, is a rich owner of stuff, primarily a Pontiac dealership, and he has these bad chemicals in his brain. Kilgore Trout is this completely unknown science fiction writer whose stories are printed in adult magazines and such. Anyway, Dwayne reads one of Trout's novels and he thinks it's real which really messes with those bad chemicals in his brain.

The book is this collision course of these two meeting each other with all kinds of distractions and subplots and observatio
Jason Koivu
Feb 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fiction, humor
Phew, it has been a LOOONG time since I've read Vonnegut. I mean "classic" Vonnegut. It feels good to be back!

I mean no offense to his most recent work, but it just doesn't compare with what he put out from about the '60s through to the '80s. It's all good stuff. I mean, I've read about a dozen books of his and I don't recall a true stinker in the lot. But if I'm going to recommend "a Vonnegut" to the interested and uninitiated, it's going to be something like Breakfast of Champions from 1973.

T
Darwin8u
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
“in nonsense is strength”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions

description

Sometimes, I think of Breakfast of Champions as top shelf Vonnegut (five stars). Sometimes I think of it as second shelf Vonnegut (four stars). I think it could exist easily on both shelves. Since I own a couple copies, and have read it a couple times, I will forever physically keep it on two shelves (Library of America on one, Laurel Mass-Market Paperback on a lower shelf). The Laurel Mass-Market is also the one I try to bribe and
Ian "Marvin" Graye
description

Breakfast of Champignons

Now It Can Be Told, Thank God

So I finished reading this novel soon after I arrived at my hotel, and I thought I’d better write a review while it was still fresh in my mind. But, first, I decided to go down to the cocktail lounge for a drink. All the seats at the bar were taken, so I had to sit by myself at a table for four.

The waitress took my order. A dry martini. When she returned, she placed it before me and said, “Here it is. The breakfast of champions!”

I sucked on t
Manny
Dec 16, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I read this novel as a teenager, I remember finding the following paragraph strikingly witty:
1492. As children we were taught to memorize this year with pride and joy as the year people began living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America. Actually, people had been living full and imaginative lives on the continent of North America for hundreds of years before that. 1492 was simply the year sea pirates began to rob, cheat, and kill them.
Though since then, the point has
Apatt
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mainstream
Listen:
What the hell was that?
I finished reading Breakfast of Champions, closed the book, went to Goodreads, stared at that big empty review box, ate a cookie, stared at the screen some more, hands hovering over the keyboard, not moving.
And so on.

Now, if you are thinking “what is that stupid paragraph above?” Don’t worry about it.

My Achilles heel as a reader of modern fiction is that I don’t cope well with unconventional narrative styles. Streams of consciousness, omitted quotation marks, massiv
MJ Nicholls
The House of Trouts:

Kilgore Trout’s latest book, World’s Funniest Thermonuclear Accidents, was forthcoming from Michael O’Mara. He shared a bathroom with Kilgore Trout, whose latest book, Complications in the Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum, had forthcome from Yale Press. The two Trouts co-rented a kitchen with Kilgore Trout, whose book I Was a Teenage Obergruppenführer, had not found a publisher. All three Trouts did not read each other’s books and did not discuss literary matters at all. When o
Jason
He was a graduate of West Point. West Point was a military academy that turned young men into homicidal maniacs for use in war.

Another brilliant ride through Vonnegut-land. Part comedy, part searing social satire, this book has its fourth wall broken more than any other book I’ve read. At times, I may not have understood where it was going or what the “point” was, but it certainly left me satisfied. Also, I am now completely convinced of Mr. Vonnegut’s influence over Douglas Adams.

The Creator of
Vit Babenco
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is life we live from day to day? What do we eat at breakfast? How do we cope with our problems and what are we doing for fun? What dreams do we dream and what ideas do we have in our heads?
“The things other people have put into my head, at any rate, do not fit together nicely, are often useless and ugly, are out of proportion with one another, are out of proportion with life as it really is outside my head.”
Some obey God, some obey government, some obey voices in their head and some obey no
Nathan "N.R." Gaddis
Shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, tits.

ASSHOLE.
Daniel Clausen
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Biting satire, crude drawings, crazy characters--a deliciously low-brow humor. This is an amazing accomplishment.

Who is Kilgore Trout? I’m Kilgore Trout, you’re Kilgore Trout. He is every hack writing who ever felt overwhelmed by his creativity and underwhelmed by his talent. He is anyone who has ever tried and failed. I suppose there is a little Trout in all of us, especially if you like seafood.

One of the great things about the book is Kilgore Trout’s endless imagination and his ability to c
Beth Kleinman
I should have liked this book more. It's about as "Vonnegut" as Vonnegut books go - with Kilgore Trout as a leading character, and Vonnegut mixing his views into the narrative to the point of eventually inserting himself, as author, into the story. And, of course, the book is filled with Vonnegut's humorous drawings and ability to return to an earlier observation in a way not unlike an incisive stand-up comedian. A modern-day Mark Twain, Vonnegut has been one of my favorite authors for years. So ...more
Oriana
Why Kurt Vonnegut is a genius:

As for the story itself, it was entitled "The Dancing Fool." Like so many Trout stories, it was about a tragic failure to communicate.

Here was the plot: A flying saucer creature named Zog arrived on Earth to explain how wars could be prevented and how cancer could be cured. He brought the information from Margo, a planet where the natives conversed by means of farts and tap dancing.

Zog landed at night in Connecticut. He had no sooner touched down than he saw a hous
Brian Yahn
Kurt Vonnegut famously graded all of his books. He gave Breakfast of Champions a C, and probably it deserves it.

Although there's plenty to appreciate in terms of wit and humor, and although there's a few genius scenes, as a whole this satire doesn't compare with Cat's Cradle, Slaughterhouse Five, or The Sirens of Titan. Where those books excel in clarity and being easy to follow, this one fails in a disorganized, meandering mess.

As with everything Vonnegut wrote, reading it feels more like exper
El
I shouldn't like this book. It does things that I've disliked other modern writers for doing, authors like Adam Levin or Dave Eggers. I don't like excessive cleverness that smells like pretension. I think a story can usually stand on its own without illustrations of staplers, and if it cannot then it probably wasn't a very good story to start. I don't care for bells and whistles - they're loud and distracting and jarring.

Kurt Vonnegut might be the Godfather of Bells and Whistles. And, by god, he
Erin Martin
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
This was the first Vonnegut book I read, when I was 13. I chose it from the ones my mother had because, when scanning through, I noticed the little drawings. I am so grateful that those little drawings made me choose this book first. Since then, after reading many others, I know it was definitely the best to introduce me to the Vonnegut genre. It is lighthearted and funny, yet full of moments where the characters achieve great inner reflection, causing the reader to do the same. Vonnegut changed ...more
Anne Zappa
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm convinced that Vonnegut's novels don't need any kind of spoiler alerts because he's probably gonna spill the beans on all the major plot twists & ending in the first 20 pages itself.

Preface:
This is a review a book titled BOC/Goodbye Blue Monday, the latter might trick you into thinking that after reading this absurd satire on pretty much everything that is wrong with our civilization, from our stories to over-population/pollution, that one can finally be free from procrastinating on Mond
Bettie☯

Description: In Breakfast of Champions, one of Kurt Vonnegut’s most beloved characters, the aging writer Kilgore Trout, finds to his horror that a Midwest car dealer is taking his fiction as truth. What follows is murderously funny satire, as Vonnegut looks at war, sex, racism, success, politics, and pollution in America and reminds us how to see the truth.

3* Slaughterhouse-Five
4* Cat's Cradle
4* Breakfast of Champions
5* Mother Night
3* Galápagos
3* God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
TR A Man Without a
Gabrielle
I’m struggling to review this. Not because I didn’t like it, on the contrary, I really loved this book. Vonnegut’s dark humor, sharp wit, insight and candor have never made me happier than in “Breakfast of Champions”. But how does one summarize this messy, hysterical, heart-breaking book?

Kilgore Trout wrote a silly sci-fi novel, in which humans have been replaced by robots. Dwayne Hoover is a successful car-dealership owner who’s sanity is slowly slipping away, and when he reads this book, he st
João Fernandes
Sep 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book on the Tube and as I began a small child started blasting joyful children's tunes in full sound on her mother's phone. Obviously she was unaware of the strict unspoken rules who rule the cesspool of antisocial behaviour that is the London Underground, until her mother began to tell her to lower the volume. She kept rising it and the mother kept telling her to lower it or else.

And I couldn't help but think how relevant all of this setting was to Vonnegut. A child, una
  • Venus on the Half-Shell
  • Ham on Rye
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • Trout Fishing in America / The Pill vs. the Springhill Mine Disaster / In Watermelon Sugar
  • Big Sur
  • Sometimes a Great Notion
  • How We Are Hungry
  • Generation of Swine: Tales of Shame and Degradation in the '80's
  • Strong Motion
  • Kurt Vonnegut's Cat's Cradle (Modern Critical Interpretations)
  • And the Hippos Were Boiled in Their Tanks
  • The Contortionist's Handbook
  • The Hotel New Hampshire
Kurt Vonnegut, Junior was an American novelist, satirist, and most recently, graphic artist. He was recognized as New York State Author for 2001-2003.

He was born in Indianapolis, later the setting for many of his novels. He attended Cornell University from 1941 to 1943, where he wrote a column for the student newspaper, the Cornell Daily Sun. Vonnegut trained as a chemist and worked as a journali
More about Kurt Vonnegut Jr....
“We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.” 403 likes
“Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne.” 332 likes