Start by marking “Damn Good Food: 157 Recipes from Hell's Kitchen” as Want to Read:
Damn Good Food: 157 Recipes from Hell's Kitchen

Damn Good Food: 157 Recipes from Hell's Kitchen

A collection of 157 recipes from Mitch Omer, chef-owner of the wildly popular Hell's Kitchen, named one of the Best Breakfasts across America by Esquire magazine.
Published October 1st 2009 by Borealis Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Damn Good Food, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn Good Food

Start your review of Damn Good Food: 157 Recipes from Hell's Kitchen
Tena Edlin
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook
I’m seriously turning into my mother and developing a massive cookbook addiction. I bought this one because I’m crazy about the restaurant in Minneapolis, and I was craving the Mahnomin Porridge in the worst way. It did not disappoint... the book or the recipe either one. Great stories about the man who founded Hell’s Kitchen and loads of other delicious-sounding recipes too.
Nicholas Aune
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I don't know, maybe it's a phase or maybe it's the cause of too much Bourdain, but I have been on a weird and wild chef kick lately. Mitch Omer of Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis is about as out there as they get. To get to the point in time of the cookbooks release he has been through years of untreated bipolar disorder, multiple addictions, several divorces, triple bypass surgery and plenty of other crazy adventures.
Mike Boothe
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not your ordinary cook book. Mitch Omer was not your ordinary chef. I knew Mitch in school in Des Moines, and then later on during college. No one that knew him would ever say he was ordinary.

Between the recipes is Mitch's autobiography, where Mitch explains much of his "out-there" life. It has to be read to be believed, and I was even present for a few of them. What we didn't know at the time, and neither did Mitch, was that he was bi-polar. It explained much.

I saw Mitch only 3 months
Shane Sargent
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The recipes have yielded excellent results, and the interspersed story of Omer's life thus far makes for an excellent read that surpasses a simple cookbook. There are a few items of note:
1. Dude included all the recipes from Hell's Kitchen. Like...all. That's seriously ballsy, and much appreciated by this cub reporter.
2. Understanding the history of a recipe raises the it from words on a page to the level of a nearly sentient being. Sure, I'm as adventurous as the next amateur home cook, but I'm
Nina
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book gives you ALL the recipes to the Hell's Kitchen restaurant. It also gives you a glimpse into the mastermind Mitch Omer. He is crazy amazing, passionate about food and his family. Every recipe is in here. The peanut butter, lemon ricotta pancakes, sausage bread. I was very impressed with the basic building blocks to the easy to understand recipe format. I highly reccommend this book. It didn't seem like a cookbook at all. I am an Alton Brown fan, but this book takes it one step up in ...more
Sue
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I dined at Hell's Kitchen once again today with my family. My son and I each bought this cookbook. We were able to meet Mitch and speak with him. I was impressed by how much time he spent talking with my son about swimming. Mitch personalized our cookbooks. I just finished reading the personal stories in the cookbook. Mitch has an amazing and inspirational past and career. I wonder if he fully appreciates how inspiring he is....in print and in person. Now....I need to make some sausage bread ...more
Linda S
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, book-wish-list
Loved this book. I read it through once. Now I want to make some of the recipes and even more than that, I want to go eat at Hell's Kitchen and try everything on the menu.
Becky
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Interesting book to just read, I only made a few recipes. The sausage bread is delicious. I tried to made hashbrowns once and they burned.
Melanie
Rachel
Jun 01, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• True West
  • The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child At a Time
  • The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • On the Banks of Plum Creek  (Little House, #4)
  • A Dream About Lightning Bugs: A Life of Music and Cheap Lessons
  • The Vagabonds: The Story of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison's Ten-Year Road Trip
  • Front Desk (Front Desk, #1)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • The First Four Years  (Little House, #9)
  • Heart Berries
  • The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • The Prince and the Pauper
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)