Start by marking “Pride and Petticoats (Spies, #2)” as Want to Read:
Pride and Petticoats (Spies, #2)

Pride and Petticoats (Regency Spies #2)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  284 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Dear Friend,

You were right: desperation is a dangerous state of mind. It was desperation that drove me to London to salvage my family's reputation and finances in the first place. And it is desperation--and perhaps a little desire--that has gotten me into the situation I find myself in now.

You see, I've become ensnared in the investigation of a traitor by Lord Dewhurst--th
Published August 29th 2006 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Pride and Petticoats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pride and Petticoats

Rachel (BAVR)
When the book you're reading starts off with the heroine arriving in London from Charleston, SC with her faithful slave named Addy, who says things like, "Chicken spit. I satisfied with a roof a new shawl. Oh, and I could do with a heap of some simple homecooked food," it's evident that your WTF detector needs to be on red alert.

[image error]
GIFSoup

But like a brave little soldier, I kept on reading. This isn't something I'm proud of, necessarily, but I paid damn good money for this book and ha
Verity
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: galen-shana, m-o-b, fops
Cute, a boatload of fun, heelarious @ times, can't wait to read more SG. For once, the title & the models on the cover fit the content 8^2
MaggieReadsRom
After reading about Freddie in “When Dashing met Danger” I was really wondering what twist Shana Galen was going to give his story. I sensed there was more to him than met the eye and turns out there certainly was.

Posing as a dandy with a funny sense for fashion with nothing on his mind but what to wear the next day, Freddie actually is not such a dandy but a cunning spy. And in this role he meets Charlotte, a smart and strong-willed American girl with a deep repulsion for everything English bu
Julie
Apr 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a LOT of trash and recently began wondering if the historical romance adaptation of Weekend at Bernie's might be worse than this book. I picked this book up again for research purposes and, although I was expecting bad, I'm truly shocked. It starts with a racist depiction of the heroine traveling to a bad part of London with her Mammy, a la Scarlet O'Hara, and goes downhill from there. Wow. I put this book in a category of bad all by itself. I strongly urge you to read it.
May
Sep 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a mess.

Unlikeable characters, writer over-uses some descriptive words and expression "George Washington!" as a swear/exasperated phrase for heroine and just yuck. No plot, twists, emotion, or any sense good about this story. Just yuck.

Go get lord & lady spy. That rocks. Don't bother with this one.
Gemma
I'll admit I didn't finish this. The heroine's constant use of "George Washington" as an exclamation was really, really annoying. Funny the first time or two. Not so funny when it's repeated on every following page, sometimes more than once. Okay, the heroine is an American patriot--I get it! No need to beat me over the head with it.
Barbara Literski
Loved

Another great novel by Shana Galen! I enjoy reading her books in her spies series. I enjoy how you are introduced to her characters in a book and then her next book is about one of them.
Joan
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This story just didn't work for me. The plot was lame, the heroine was weak and annoying, and the hero was boring.
Ashley Schuster
3.5 I was disturbed by Addy's vernacular and how she was basically just a plot filler. :/ I enjoyed Freddie taking Charlotte to task for owning Addy, albeit only twice and very mildly, but that didn't really change anything, anyway, so fak Charlotte and fak Freddie. :( I was surprised this book was published in '06.

The story itself was fine, a typical romance. Cade was an afterthought. Charlotte was a dick. Freddie was...a dick. Just wish Addy (and her HEA) hadn't been handled so cavalierly.
Fatgingercat
First, I want to say two words : boring and predictable. I have read similar plot in many other books, so I can guess what will happen with the hero & the heroine. I was hoping maybe we can get some kidnapping/fighting/murder/betrayal story. Nope. No twisted story, no surprising action. It's just a plain ordinary romance. *yawn*

Second, I don't feel the chemistry between H and h. They start the fake marriage with prejudice to each other and I can't see how they solved their differences in a s
Farrah
I just adore Shana Galen and her historical romances. After reading Lord and Lady Spy I couldn’t wait to grab a copy of Pride & Petticoats after finding out about an interesting married couple who had a cameo spot in the end.

Great cast of characters that had me laughing hysterically as they interacted with the other. The only problems I had were that I felt it too short, I expected a little more action, and thought for sure we’d have discovered her mother was really known among the Ton. But
April
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I didn't realize this book was part of a series and after I finished off the third book in the Misadventures in Matrimony series, I wanted to read another of Shana Galen's books. I bought four of her books on Friday and had them all read by Sunday night. It is always hard for me to find a new author I like, but Shana Galen is my newest obsession--I am trying to be patient for her fourth book in the Misadventures series, but it is SO hard!! If you like romance novels, this is an author to c ...more
Alex
I liked the book. I thought there was enough heat and story. But will I remember this book in the next few weeks?...maybe not.

Follow me on Twitter! ThisLadyReadsALot (@ThisLadyDoes)

Lisa Hutson
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun. Freddie & Charlotte are quite the pair. And they tried to stop it. They tried to. But in the end, love always wins.
Patti
Aug 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this some time in August.
Rebeca Figueiredo
HEROINE HAS A SLAVE.
Maria
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second in Galen's Regency Spies series. Another fabulous story of adventure, intrigue, and romance. For my full review: http://bit.ly/13x9PHh
Tabetha Waite
I have to say that I didn't find this book as riveting as its predecessor, though it was a nice one time read.
Anne
First of all, how cute is the name?! When I saw the book was called Pride and Petticoats, I figured it would be way over the top...and it was. I loved every minute of it!
Gayle
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Fun and witty dialogue between charming characters.
Katie
Jul 16, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice read but nothing sizzling just.... Nice.
April
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 12, 2015 10:03AM
  • To Ruin the Duke
  • The Seduction Of An Unknown Lady (McBride Family #2)
  • Blue Moon (The Runaways, #3)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • Taken by Desire
  • Rough Wrangler, Tender Kisses
  • Surrender A Dream
  • Bride for a Night
  • Sexy As Hell (Bruton Street Bookstore, #2)
  • The Education of Mrs. Brimley (Chambers Trilogy, #1)
  • Passion and Pleasure in London (Charmed and Dangerous, #3)
  • Most Eagerly Yours (Her Majesty's Secret Servants #1)
  • Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1)
  • The Rogue (Liar's Club, #5)
  • Sweet Deception (Veiled Seduction, #2)
  • Promises Reveal (Promises, #4)
Shana Galen is the bestselling author of fast-paced adventurous Regency historicals, including the RT Reviewers' Choice The Making of a Gentleman. Booklist says, "Galen expertly entwines espionage-flavored intrigue with sizzling passion," and RT Bookreviews calls her "a grand mistress of the action/adventure subgenre." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven ye ...more
More about Shana Galen...

Regency Spies (3 books)
  • While You Were Spying (Regency Spies)
  • When Dashing Met Danger (Spies, #1)