Start by marking “Lucky Dog” as Want to Read:
Lucky Dog

Lucky Dog

Dave Bartok is not having the best of years. His mother has just died, he is an addicted poker player, and (hugely in debt), his real estate business is sinking, and he doesn't really like his longtime girlfriend. When he gets saddled with an abandoned dog, he doesn't think things can get worse. And then Reg the dog starts talking --and only Dave can hear him.

At first Dave
Published January 24th 2006 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Lucky Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucky Dog

Start your review of Lucky Dog
Margaret
May 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up on a book exchange on a cruise, and spent a lot of time embarrassing myself by laughing out loud on airline flights. If you like Brit humor with a plot, or enjoy books like 'Skinny Dip' (Carl Hiaasen) I think you'll like it.

I learned that I want to read more by this author.
Amy
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I love the idea of the talking dog Reg. Oh, how I wish I could have conversations with mine. sigh..........
Anyway, the book was good, however, it takes place in England and as I'm not as worldly as I'd like it was difficult to follow. I didn't understand alot of the jargon. I had to concentrate more to understand what was being said. Otherwise, good book.
Vicki
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-read, guy-lit
My absolute favorite book... I highly recommend it, especially to dog lovers.
Adrian Chapman
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you like humour and own a dog, this really is the book for you! From start to finish I had a smile on my face - no tongue hanging out or scratching my ears though. Reading this will make you laugh and see your dog in a different light - especially when you take them out in the car.
Putting this on here now makes me want to read it again...
F M
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this first when I was a teenager and I’ve read it several times since and every single time I actually laugh out loud. It’s a hilarious and lighthearted book and it’s one of my favourites.
Robin
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: coast-to-coast
I liked it. The dog didn't die in the end. But it did carry on a bit long.
Kat Walter
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Talking dogs and British humor not my cup of tea.
Ian Mapp
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
I needed a bit of light relief after the last two, rather heavy books and I definately came to the right place.

Dave is in his thirties, fancies a girl at work - lucy, but is living with the harder nosed lydsey who bosses him about a bit. He is an estate agent and a poker player.

One day at work, he is nearly the victim of a swindle - but Dave is too nice to want to take advantage of other people so he doesnt fall for him. It involves a Dog, called Reg, who Dave realises that he can hear what it i
Anna Motteler
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I had such mixed feelings about this book when I first started reading it. I immediately loved the idea of it, a man being able to hear a dog talking to him, but at the beginning of the book I honestly could not stand the writing. I'm assuming it's because he's from England and some of their "slang" is just not what I'm used to hearing... But it took me some willpower to make sure I kept hanging on and trying to keep reading. Which, in all honesty, I'm very glad that I did. This book had so many ...more
Dean
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I read this 15 years ago, but by the time I added it to my Goodreads list, I couldn't really remember how much I enjoyed it. It was still on my bookshelf, rather than having been put in the bin so I gave it 4 stars, giving it the benefit of the doubt. Trying to reduce the books on my shelf, I thought I would give it a quick re-read before binning it.

It was okay I guess, though 3 stars at most rather than 4. The humour felt a bit forced this time around, and I don't remember feeling the main cha
Carole Raschella
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this book. My only complaint is that Barrowcliffe hasn't written more like it. Or a sequel. Or something. I've read the book two or three times (something I NEVER do). Every time I pick it up to glance at a page, I'm stuck for an hour because I can't put it down. I read constantly, about a hundred a year, though I've never counted, and this is THE best. Someone said it's good for fans of Carl Hiassen...I totally agree with that. I've read all of his books Did I mention that I ...more
Barbara
Jun 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Hesitant to read this at first after reading the blurb on the cover, but found it to be an entertaining read. Found the main character to be lacking in character but hopefully after all the mishaps and very poor decisions his future was brighter. Loved the talking dog. Would like to see a movie made of this story.
Tacey
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great brit lit novel. I loved Reg. I think this would make an excellent movie, requisite happy ending and all.

I think it may have been hard for me to get into at first because of the male point of view. Most of the brit lit I've read to date (Shopaholic, Bridget Jones, etc) is all chick lit as well. But it was funny and fairly decently paced. Most enjoyable overall.
Nicola Chase
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
A book about a talking dog? How ridiculous! But this is so entertaining that suspension of disbelief is a given as I reach for a new biscuit from the biscuit tin. I'll read this again every couple of years, and it never fails to amuse me. Now, if only I could find my own talking dog...
Jeffrey
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
I was not as impressed with this book as I had hoped to be. There were actually a few times that I almost just stopped reading it, but I continued on.

I wasn't bad, I just found the main character kind of pathetic, with no other characters that I really liked either, other than Reg, the dog.
Michelle
Jul 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fun-read, favorites
The story actually was boring and uninteresting. Since it takes place in England, some of the vernacular was unknown to me. But the insights from the dog are hilarious, totally worth reading!
Lauren Miller
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
really cute, made me laugh out loud at parts! the dog is so funny!
Mark Mihevc
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Cute fun read.
Debbie
Apr 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Took a bit to adjust to the off-beat writing style, but I was hooked about 100 pages in. Reg the dog definitely steals the show.
Dusty
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first started to read this book I thought that it would be interesting but once I started to read it I lost interest really fast.
Valerie
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
A cute and humorous story that gives a whole new perspective on dogs as man's best friend.
Emma Young
I stopped at page 9....this book was boring.
D
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
At times I got pretty annoyed at the main character because of his obviously bad decisions or lack of decisions. The dog was great.
Rebecca
Feb 06, 2011
Meghan
Mar 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man
  • Good As Dead (Tom Thorne, #10)
  • From the Dead (Tom Thorne, #9)
  • Death of a Perfect Wife (Hamish Macbeth, #4)
  • The Informers
  • The Jewel in the Crown
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11
  • Scandal in Skibbereen (County Cork, #2)
  • The Gifted School
  • So Brave, Young, and Handsome
  • Hello Love
  • Dogs in Heaven: and Other Animals: Extraordinary stories of animals reaching out from the other side (HarperTrue Fate – A Short Read)
  • The Glass Room (Vera Stanhope, #5)
  • Diana: Case Solved: The Definitive Account and Evidence That Proves What Really Happened
  • Do You Even Know What You're Doing?: A Collection of Reader-Submitted Medical Stories
  • Well, Doc, It Seemed Like a Good Idea At The Time!: The Unexpected Adventures of a Trauma Surgeon
Aka M.D. Lachlan.

He grew up in Coventry and studied at the University of Sussex. He worked as a journalist and also as a stand-up comedian before he started writing his first novel, Girlfriend 44. He lives and writes in Brighton, England and South Cambridgeshire. Ron Howard secured the film rights for Girlfriend 44 and Infidelity for First Time Fathers is in development with 2929.

Barrowcliffe achi