Start by marking “A Coven of Witches (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #6.5)” as Want to Read:
A Coven of Witches (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #6.5)

A Coven of Witches (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #6.5)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  2,858 Ratings  ·  116 Reviews
Beware a girl in pointy shoes

A girl wearing pointy shoes might be a witch. And the first thing a spook's apprentice learns is never, ever to trust a witch.

In this bone-chilling collection of tales, you will learn exactly why that is, as you encounter:

a fair and beautiful woman with green scales running down her spine . . .

a dead witch who lurks under rotting leaves and hun
Published April 27th 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Coven of Witches, please sign up.
Michael Shea While it is not necessary to finish the series before reading this book of short stories I would highly recommend it so that you have a solid…moreWhile it is not necessary to finish the series before reading this book of short stories I would highly recommend it so that you have a solid background on the people in the story and you can reference back and forth. Keep in mind that this was originally published in the U.K. as The Spook's Stories: Witches - A collection of four short stories [Meg Skelton; Dirty Dora; Alice And The Brain Guzzler; The Banshee Witch]. (less)

Glamdring
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, fantasy
I really loved how Joseph Delaney told each short story using each time a different voice. And I want to learn more about Grimalkin!!!

I started reading this series because my youngest son asked me to read it with him and I'm absolutely fan. :)
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Dec 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, own
A series of short stories in the Last Apprentice line. Entertaining but not outstanding
Focus was on witches
Read if you enjoy this series
Larissa
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
performing sacrifices and causing deaths. They are greatly feared and rightly so, for Witches in the world of The Spook's are some of the most dangerous and complicated creatures you will ever find.

Meg Skelton.
John Gregory is a Spook and deals with all manner of creatures of the dark including ghosts, boggarts and witches. Meg Skelton is a damsel in distress rescued by the Spook, John. It was love at first sight. However when John discovers that Meg wears pointy shoes things became complicated.
Amélie
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: the-spook
Ce livre est un trésor. J'avais oublié qu'il y avait Bill Arkwright dedans. Je ne sais donc pas si j'ai le cœur brisé ou si j'ai envie de faire un câlin à tout le monde. Je dis ça comme ça, mais quel beau couple feraient Meg et Grimalkin.
Amanda
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Like many other Last Apprentice fans, I was disappointed when I found out that A Coven of Witches wasn't the next book in the series, but just another supplement of short stories similar to The Spook's Tale. While I was grateful to at least get a taste of the dark, I was hoping for a little more.

A Coven of Witches includes four short stories plus a twenty-page preview of Rise of the Huntress, the next book in the series. The first short story follows Gregory in his younger years and the tale of
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is another set of four short stories set in the The Last Apprentice world all featuring witches.

- Meg Skeleton: Fills in the story of how the Spook met Meg and details the events that happened with Meg and her sister that lead to their imprisonment. Most of this you already know if you are reading the series, but it was nice to have this subplot filled out.
- Dirty Dora: gives some insight into how dead witches become dead witches. This was an okay story but nothing too exciting.
- Alice and
colleen the convivial curmudgeon
A collection of short stories, we see a glimpse into the different lives and backstories of some of the characters including Alice and the Spook - specifically Alice's earliest days with Lizzy and a story from the story of how the Spook met Meg. We also get a story from a witch's perspective, and one from Tom during his time with Bill Arkwright - though where that fits into the novel version of his time with Bill, chronologically speaking, isn't entirely clear.

Anyway - the stories were interesti
Eden
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
There are four short stories in this book. The first story is told by John Gregory. It is about Meg, the witch he fell in love and what happened after finding her.

The second story is told by Dirty Dora Deane. She is a dead witch that lives in the Witch Dell. The story is about how she died and soon after, took her revenge on those who killed her.

The third story is told by Alice. It is about her first week with Bony Lizzie and how she survived.

The fourth and final story is told by Tom. It is abou
Aliaa
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is some how a book of starts .. its a book that has the story of the beginning yet its a story on its own .. it will suddenly give light on that question you had on that book or the other in the series yet it has other stories that begin and end and its complete .. a new adventure on familiar roads if i may say .. and its as good as the first rush of the first adventure .. i enjoyed the book ..
Lex
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grimalkin's Story is pretty good! I liked her story a lot. She's a kick-ass character, that's for sure! She wants to kill the Fiend, or at least take revenge for what he did to their son. Poor, Grimalkin.

In any case...

[image error]
Glenn
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A quick read that would be okay if you read it when it first came out. It was also good for some background information, but otherwise it is a book that you can read in a couple of hours. You need to have been reading the series to fully understand it though...
Aaron Harden
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
awesome.
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun side story. How does Delaney do all this?

Review to come.
Catherine
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So enjoyed all the stories, especially Alice and the Brain Guzzler. Couldn't put it down.....read most of it in one sitting!
Ioana W
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traducere de Ioana Avădănei
Bladelor
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 nouvelles qui nous en apprennent davantage sur des personnages importants de la série. Captivant !
Patricia Kaniasty
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These books never disappoint me. Great stories for middle grades and up. They can be a little scary but there is lots of action also.
Johanna
I think Mr Delaney should write more short stories from and of the witches.
Dragomir Mirela
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeannie Mancini
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Which Witch Will Bewitch You?

Just when I think Joseph Delaney’s Last Apprentice stories can’t get any scarier, he comes back and frightens me even more! A Coven of Witches is Delaney’s second volume of short stories involving the characters that we see in the ongoing saga of the Spook’s Apprentice Tom Ward. Teasing us with another intermediary volume of mini tales of terror that will scare the breath out of you, this book offers up some pretty gruesome, gross and gory vignettes starring the many
Hector Barrera
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mia
Sep 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am reminded by the movie trailer The Seventh Son that I have read this book.

I knew it was good from the moment I saw the cover. Yes, I know, we should never judge a book by its cover but this time when I saw the it, I just KNEW it was going to be a book that would be so interesting I would never forget. Boy, was I right.

I'm also quite happy to know that it's just a supplement book and not the next book in the series. It means I get to dip my foot in without getting dragged into the water and
Bacht
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Les Sorcières de l'Épouvanteur est un recueil de cinq nouvelles selon cinq points de vues, celui du Maitre Gregory, de la sorcière Dora, mais aussi de Grimalkin, Alice et enfin Tom Ward.

La lecture de ces récits à été vraiment très agréable. On en apprend davantage sur John Gregory et Meg Skelton, malheureusement je n'ai pas ressenti l'empathie que Gregory dégage dans le reste de la saga. En ce qui concerne la Sorcière Dora et Grimalkin, ces récits sont très intéressants, mais je n'ai pas eu l'im
Kyan
Oct 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it has multiple stories in it. The stories are about witchcraft and stuff like that. I do not have one specific favorite story, but I can tell a summary of a story.

There is a witch, and the witch adopted someone. I'm not quite sure what happened, but I'm pretty sure out of my memories that she was adopted. She learns the new rules of the house and she meets the pet of the house which is one of the most dangerous creatures, it is called a brain guzzler. The young witch ma
May 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first story in this book before returning it to my bookstore, completely disgusted.

John Gregory saves a woman from an abhuman, she thanks him, kisses him, and he stays the night with her. In the morning finds out she's a witch and despite her protests that she's never hurt anyone who hasn't hurt her, he tells her that no her kind are nothing but deceitful and he binds her, throws her over his shoulder, and takes her back to his place where he ties her up outside and leaves her in
Clay!
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is kind of part of The Last Apprentice series. There are about four or so stories in the this book. Most of them about characters and their stories before the begining of the series. It begins with the main character's master. It is about when he becomes a spook. Then it tells about a girl named Alice and how her aunt takes her then teaches her how to be a witch. Another witch who is now dead (she is kind of like a zombie, long story), well she tells about her story. I think it's kind ...more
Charlotte Jones
Joseph Delaney has a writing style that completely draws you in to each story and although, like in most short story collections that I have read, some stories are better than others, each one is action-packed and is so engrained in the world of spooks that the author has created that you get sucked into each one.

This collection of five stories can be read separate from the main series and would still make complete sense, as it did for me.

Each story was written from a different character's pers
Matt Richter
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This is a supplemental book to Joseph Delaney's Wardstone Chronicles Series (which I'm a big fan of) containing 5 short stories. It should definitely be read after reading the first 6 books from the main series. I wasn't expecting too much from this one, cos I haven't really developed much of an appreciation for short stories when compared to normal length stories. My expectation was probably something akin to viewing the deleted scenes in the DVD release of a film. But I was pleasantly surprise ...more
Pauline
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Joseph Delaney that I read, I do not know the other titles he wrote, but I really liked this one and I think I am going to read all the others!

This book is really "cool". So interesting I could not stop reading it, it was a real pleasure.
I like Delaney's universe, this magic/fantasy/mythical/celtical one. This book has all the elements I like in fact.

It contains 5 stories, 3 from witches' point of view, which was a change. All the stories are quite full of actions. Som
Andrew
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: winter-2015
This story is about a spook who isn't handling the death of someone close to him. Now there are some parts of this book that can be very confusing because it changes characters often the characters are the spook dirty dora meg and megs sister. The mood is constently changing with each chapter but the overall mood is violent

I liked a lot about this book I liked that there is a different story inside each chapter also I liked the at people who were taught to hate eachother could fall in love and
  • The Branding
  • The Knight of Death: The Assassin Chronicles (The Red Cross of Gold #1)
  • The Crowfield Curse (Crowfield Abbey, #1)
  • Phantom of Blood Alley (Barnaby Grimes, # 4)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • The Ghost in the Mirror (Lewis Barnavelt, #4)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • Reborn! Vol. 14: The Sky Match Arrives! (Reborn!, #14)
  • The Ghost Toucher
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Shapeshifters Anonymous
  • Alice at Heart (Waterlilies, #1)
  • Stuart's Cape
  • Fire on the Mountain
  • The Mystery of The Fool and The Vanisher
Joseph Delaney is a full time writer living in Lancashire, in the heart of Boggart territory. He first got the idea for the Wardstone Chronicles series when he moved to the village where he lives now and discovered there was a local boggart - ‘a man like me needs boggarts around’. He made a note in his notebook ‘a story about a man who hunts boggarts’ and years later when he had to come up with an ...more
More about Joseph Delaney

The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Revenge of the Witch (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #1)
  • Curse of the Bane (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #2)
  • Night of the Soul Stealer (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #3)
  • Attack of the Fiend (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #4)
  • The Spook's Mistake (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #5)
  • The Spook's Sacrifice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #6)
  • Rise of the Huntress (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #7)
  • Rage of the Fallen (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #8)
  • I Am Grimalkin (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #9)
  • The Spook's Blood (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles, #10)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)