Start by marking “Days Like This ” as Want to Read:
Days Like This

Days Like This

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
J. Torres, who used memory to great effect in The Copybook Tales, now casts his eye back to the early '60s, when pop music ruled the airwaves. Days Like This follows the formation of "Tina & the Tiaras," a new girl group, as they rise up the charts and overcome personal obstacles to become stars. Featuring stunning art by newcomer Scott Chantler that's reminiscent of t ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Oni Press (first published April 15th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Days Like This, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Days Like This

Seth T.
Apr 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
To begin with, a poorly-devised haiku review:

Not so innocent
That rock can't corrupt a soul
No day like today

________________

Days Like This is hard to put into words, but abrupt might be an adequate descriptor. I hadn't read the slim volume in several years and as we were packing up the house for a move I pulled it out of a box to read that night. What I had remembered was that it was an enjoyable story with enjoyable art but that the tale ended way too soon.

And that's probably about how I'd desc
Leslie
It is the early 1960s and recent divorcee Anna Solomon is about to strike out on her own in her ex-husband’s world: the music business. She isn’t the only one launching her career. A fresh young female song writer is looking to sell her work where she can, and three high school singers are starting out where many do: the church choir and a school talent show. Its just good timing that the three paths should intersect, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t going to be easy.

"Ben (the ex-brother-in-law: S
Mark Desrosiers
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music, comics
Brief, bowdlerized saga about the formation of an early-sixties girl group ("Tina and the Tiaras": seriously that name coulda flown only circa 1981!). Reads mostly like a droll sitcom pilot, with most dosh and all psychosexual politics excised from the grim reality. The whole enterprise is saved by a cranky afterword from Jamie S. Rich, wherein he offers both the Flaming Lips and John Mayer a kicking.
Fiona
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
cute, but felt really rushed. there wasn't much of a conclusion, and it could have been far longer
Iris Nevers
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a fun little graphic novel that shows the difference between music from the '60s and music today. Everyone had music written for them and did covers - and that was acceptable.
I kinda wish it was like that now because this artist shaming since someone doesn't write their own music is getting old.
Emmanuel Nevers
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This Graphic novel is a great look into the world of the early 1960s music industry. A lot of the things that happened in the story were based on things in real life much like the protagonists based on girl groups from that era and that everyone had songwriters. Funny, charming and full of heart this was a great little read everyone should check out!!
Bill
Oct 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: early 60s pop music enthusiasts
Shelves: comics, music
This short graphic novel follows three plotlines that weave in and out of each other - a woman starting her own record company after divorcing her record exec husband, a trio of inner-city girls trying to make it to the big time as a singing group (like the Supremes, the Ronettes, and any number of others), and a girl in her late teens trying to make it as a songwriter (basically, she's Carole King, and yes, there's a Gerry Coffin equivalent in the mix, too). If you've been waiting for a serious ...more
Skye Kilaen
It’s the mid 1960s. Anna Solomon just got divorced from her husband, who seems to be running his own record label into the ground. Anna learned a lot from her now-ex’s mistakes, so she decides to start her own label. At her daughter’s talent show, she finds just the girl group she’s looking for… but can Tina and the Tiaras overcome family resistance, find the right songwriter, and make a hit happen?

This book is sweet, and refreshing in how it centers women’s and girls’ stories. No one’s perfect
Rosa
This follows the beginning of a girl group called Tina and the Tiaras, a song writer, their manager and her daughter and gives an overview of how pop groups worked back in the fifties and sixties. A lot of different and interesting characters get followed but I did feel like the book wasn't wrapped up. You don't find out what happens to the Tiaras and the songwriter, you don't find out if the manager fixes her relationship with her daughter, only in a superficial sense can you infer what will ha ...more
Alayshis Belvin
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story is my favorite comic book yet! I like how the author talks about himself in third person. This story is about a girl named Christina(Tina)and her two friends in the 1960`s.During this time period pop music is getting reborn. They sing at a Talent Show and Tina and the Tiara`s are signed by record label owner Anna Solomon. Will they be a success ; or a failure? I recommend this outstanding book to anyone looking for some music. This book is full of woman who stand up for what they beli ...more
HeavyReader
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was kind of boring. It is about three high school girls who make a record. The lead singer's father doesn't want her involved in the record industry. The reader doesn't find out what the families of the backup singers think. The book comes to an end, but not a conclusion. Maybe the author was hoping to write a sequal.

It is a short book and would maybe be good for a young person who doesn't like to read. For a old person who does like to read (me) it was kind of a waste of my time.
Jennifer Whiteford
Oct 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Even before I started this book I told my husband I wished it was longer. It's just a skinny little thing, and it tells such a good story I wanted it to be much bigger. A thinly veiled depiction of the Brill Building in the Goffin/King era, this is really fun to read and I could feel the energy of the time period in the drawings and dialogue. Not easy to evoke a distinct sound (in this case, American pop music of the early 60s) in a comic, but these guys do it. Next time I wish they'd do about t ...more
Emilia P
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-books
This was just fine, I loved the bubbly illustration style. Although I'm not so sure what the point of this only sorta-kinda finished That Thing You Do/Hairspray/something-about-civil-rights/Destiny's Child-lite storyline. Hence the two. Not sure who it was written for, and not sure it's target audience would appreciate it -- yes, the concept of pop music has changed, but... it wanted to be to many things at once and ended up being not much really. Crabcrabcrab.
Feather Mista
May 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Veremos...
Recommended to Feather by: Bajo precio
Lo compré pese al horrible error de sobreacentuación del título porque estaba bastante barato, a simple vista parece un comic hecho con amor, y porque creo recordar que había leído una reseña favorable por algún lado. Cuando lo lea veré si valió la pena, aunque supongo que sí.

RESPUESTA: Sí parcial. Otro día me pongo a explicar por qué termino promediando para abajo aunque es una historia bonita.
Kristen
I liked the time period and subject of this graphic novel, but I really wished for something more substantial. The plot and characters are extremely simple, which IMO was a missed opportunity on the authors' part. Very little information about the culture and music of the era is given in the story, so chances are good that younger readers will be lost. The afterword doesn't help either - it is a long rant about the state of the music industry that has little bearing on the rest of the book.
Patty
I picked this book up while I was at the library waiting for a meeting. It was in our young adult section, but I would classify it as juvenile literature. It was a fun, light book probably of interest to kids who are interested in being a musician or music history.

I found this interesting and well written. I just wish that there had been a bit more to it.
Corinne
Times were a changin. Pop music was coming into its own and new bands were springing up like dandelions. This graphic novel is set in the thick of this time period and reads a bit like a sitcom. Several different plot lines with some drama but no real depth. It's a quick look at the music industry and one girl band's rise to fame. Fun, but not particularly thoughtful or life changing.
Carrie
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Very cute story, and like pretty much all the other commenters I'm going to say I wish it had been longer. I would have loved a little more depth to each character, and a bit more satisfying of an ending.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
La época dorada de los grupos femeninos recuperada en un volumen reverente, pero serio. Un trabajo que es tanto un homenaje como un testimonio de los años en que el Rock & Roll y el Rhytm & Blues dibujaban sonrisas y encendían corazones.
jessica
Nov 09, 2007 rated it really liked it
cute! i wanted it to be longer.
Paul
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story set in mid-Twentith Century urban America. It presents all the optimism, hope and benevolence found in this era.
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Love the story, love the style. Too short! I wanted more from the collaboration between the songwriter and Tina.
Doyle
Feb 13, 2014
Susan
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Comic book writer whose credits include the Eisner Award nominated Alison Dare, the YALSA listed Days Like This and Lola: A Ghost Story, as well as Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Love as a Foreign Language and Teen Titans Go, which garnered him a Shuster Award.
More about J. Torres...