Start by marking “Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping” as Want to Read:
Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping

Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  10,092 Ratings  ·  457 Reviews
Revolutionary retail guru Paco Underhill is back with a completely revised edition of his classic, witty bestselling book on our ever-evolving consumer culture—full of fresh observations and important lessons from the cutting edge of retail such as Internet behemoths Amazon and iTunes as well as the globalization of retail in the world’s emerging markets.
Published June 2nd 2000 by Simon Schuster (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Why We Buy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why We Buy

Wayne
Jul 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning retailers
Rather disappointing -- it reads like a book length sales brochure for Envirosell, the company the author founded. Every page follows the same formula: A foolish retailer was doing this. I told him to do this. He did, and he is now more virile, has a better looking wife, has more money than he could imagine, and he thanks me daily.

This gets old. A few fun tricks of retailing are buried here and there, but the book should be subtitled: How to Get Rich Using Common Sense.
Danielle
Mar 06, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, 2009
Horrendous, for several reasons.
First, it is outdated, which is my own fault -- he has a newer book and I happened to pick up the wrong one at the library. There are references to dial-up modems and portable cassette players, among other things.
Second, it reads like a sales pitch. The guy is arrogant and self-serving, pitching his company (Envirosell) throughout. That's just plain annoying.
Third, and probably most offensive, it is sexist, making broad generalizations about female vs. male shop
Santhosh
Firstly, Why We Buy should have been How They Buy, because 1) the book is about insights on shopping (and not shoppers), based on extensive observations of shoppers when they're shopping and, 2) it's addressed from the retailer's point of view, about what they can do to make people buy more things.

The structure of the book goes something like this:
* Opening scene: the retailers were basically village simpletons who happened to have stores that were being visited by cattle masquerading as custome
Jessie Young
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was recommended to me after I became absolutely obsessed with grocery shopping in Santiago, Chile. I think it was the hunt, or maybe just that I had a ton of time, but I went grocery shopping pretty much every day while I lived in Santiago. I found the assortment of foods fascinating and the way they were packaged (mayo in a bag!?) even more-so. I'm also, in general, a very tactile shopper so I was interested in what he'd have to say about that.

My expectation was that this book would b
Jen
Aug 20, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
As a consumer, this book frightens me; every display, every sign, every detail in a store is designed to part me from my money. I'm pretty aware of that, but the details in this book will frighten you.

For librarians, this book has a vital message: marketing (and thinking about marketing) is everything. We have something to sell, even if we don't make a profit. The author, from a science-sales point of view, thinks that books should have age ranges; that's scary to me, but understandable from a s
Ryan
Nov 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don Draper would scoff and say "what?" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9DCaf...

I could barely finish this, and I'd say he ripped off Don Draper were it not for the fact that Mad Men was written after this book was. Is advertising really all about love? Hmph.

This book is written by Paco Underhill, who presents himself as an arrogant, simple-minded know-it-all who left (cue schlocky singsong playground bully voice) "academia" to go out in the Real World to actually apply all these "scientific" thi
Andrea
May 30, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nerd-stuff
Here is a literary example of "good idea, bad execution." Underhill has lots of interesting little anecdotes, yet presents them in a disorganized, sometimes arrogant, sometimes wistful, and occasionally creepy style.
Some points I found interesting and profoundly true:
-You need to be slowed down when entering a store from a parking lot (caught myself speeding past the section I needed in Target just the other day).
-Despite my mom's vigilant hand-slapping when I was young, the adult consumer in
K.M. Weiland
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this out of interest in the psychology that prompts people to buy things—primarily online. On that score, the book was pretty disappointing. As other reviewers have pointed out, it’s more about the science of selling—and not even that so much as just shedding light on shoddy merchandise presentation. And the (single) chapter on e-selling is pretty much a blow-off.

That said, what *is* here is fascinating, humorous, and highly entertaining. Underhill shares anecdotes from a lifetime of s
Elliedakota
The author's tone was a major turn-off. The main focus of the book was self promotion. A whole chapter patting himself on the back for hiring women branch heads? Seriously? Plus, even the revised edition is outdated. Trumpeting the success of Radio Shack and Blackberry rings holllow in 2016. I was hoping for some solid information on consumer psychology. I didn't find it in this book.
Michael
Jan 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will never be able to go into a business, especially a retail store, without an eye on traffic flow, product placement, the employee and purchaser environmental factors, along with signage, without thinking what I learned about the aforementioned topics. An enlightening read on "why we buy", and also an aid on possibly controlling why we buy. Great book.
Buy Megaburn 60mg 1 1 Dec 27, 2017 04:19AM
http://x4up.org/t90-xplode 1 1 Aug 08, 2016 11:54PM
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Experience Economy: Work is Theatre & Every Business a Stage
  • Buyology: Truth and Lies About Why We Buy and the New Science of Desire
  • How Customers Think: Essential Insights into the Mind of the Market
  • Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
  • Why She Buys: The New Strategy for Reaching the World's Most Powerful Consumers
  • Decoded: The Science Behind Why We Buy
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • OBD: Obsessive Branding Disorder: The Illusion of Business and the Business of Illusion
  • Creating Customer Evangelists
  • The Culture Code: An Ingenious Way to Understand Why People Around the World Live and Buy as They Do
  • Positioning: The Battle for Your Mind: How to Be Seen and Heard in the Overcrowded Marketplace
  • Persuasive Technology: Using Computers to Change What We Think and Do
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Reluctant Capitalists: Bookselling and the Culture of Consumption
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
Underhill has spent more than 25 years conducting research on the different aspects of shopping behavior, earning his status as a leading expert and pioneer in the field. Paco helps companies understand what motivates the behaviors of today’s consumer. His research shows how today’s retail world is ruled by factors such as gender, “trial and touch” and human anatomy. He is an insightful and captiv ...more
More about Paco Underhill...
“I believe passionately in edutainment—whether in front of a business audience, a classroom of students or a crowd of parishioners at church. Laughter” 3 likes
“something about rules—you have to either follow them or break them with gusto.” 2 likes