Start by marking “Nineteen Minutes” as Want to Read:
Nineteen Minutes

Nineteen Minutes

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  248,323 Ratings  ·  13,896 Reviews
Deals with the truth and consequences of a small town high-school shooting. Set in Sterling, New Hampshire, Picoult offers reads a glimpse of what would cause a 17-year-old to wake up one day, load his backpack with four guns, and kill nine students and one teacher in the span of nineteen minutes.
Published March 5th 2007 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Nineteen Minutes, please sign up.

Bruce Snell As a 65 year old grandfather, I read books that have interesting characters, compelling stories, and situations I can care about, all wrapped up in a…moreAs a 65 year old grandfather, I read books that have interesting characters, compelling stories, and situations I can care about, all wrapped up in a storytelling style that keeps me turning pages. So far every one of Ms Picoult's books fits that description. In general I don't understand the idea of "women's lit" or "men's lit" - it is either good storytelling or it is not.(less)
Casey I really enjoyed "Finding Jake" by Bryon Readon. I didn't really like the back and forth between the young Jake and the present, but it was an…moreI really enjoyed "Finding Jake" by Bryon Readon. I didn't really like the back and forth between the young Jake and the present, but it was an interesting take on school shootings and I think it could fit in well with your curriculum.
I will also add, "Out of My Mind" by Sharon Draper. Not at all about a school shooting, but definitely about diversity, fitting in/not fitting in. Not sure what theme you are going with, but this was so well done, I think it would be a great assett to any program.
Then there is the "wonder" book, which I think is detestable, but I if you use it to "teach" I guess it can be useful. I abhor the fact that the book allows the main character to feel victimized and blames everyone else for his problems. The whole family in that book should not exist in my opinion, it's one of the things wrong with the world-blaming others and assuming they are thinking the worst of you instead of being proactive and letting people kmow what you are really like.
Monument 14 by Emmy Laborne. A "disaster" with the school bus. I forget what, not a school shooting, but still an "emergency situation". Much sexual innuendo so not really the best for a school curriculum.
And then we get to Divergent. Not a school shooting either. I guess I am going more for books about acceptance/nonacceptance. Anyway, action packed, finidng one's true self, accomplishing goals, etc. Good for the teen audience. (less)

Kate
Jan 02, 2008 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sammy
May 29, 2007 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
This book is a hard book to put down because the entire time you're seeking answers. Why? What actually happened? What made it progress to this? Things like that. Things that people asked after Columbine, most recently after Virginia Tech, and after all the other school shootings. Once again Jodi Picoult tackles a sensitive and controversial issue, in an amazingly strong and dignified manner that doesn't have you choosing sides.

She did it to the reader in My Sister's Keeper, where the minute you
Lara
Jan 27, 2008 Lara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Believe it or not, I have never actually read one of Jodi Piccoult's books before. I'm not really sure why, but I haven't.

This particular book has really stayed with me as I finished it, and I think Piccoult makes a few very important points/observations.

1. Sometimes the perpetrator of a heinous crime is the biggest victim of them all. Reading the things that Peter went through sometimes brought me to tears. I have never understood how people can treat others so badly, and the behavior of the b
Madeline
Jul 03, 2009 Madeline rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-judgements, ugh
When I read this book a few years ago, I had already gotten through four other Jodi Picoult - My Sister's Keeper, The Tenth Circle, Vanishing Acts, and The Plain Truth, in case anyone cares. I feel that we had a good relationship. Sure, after the first exciting fling things got predictable pretty fast ("gee, I wonder if this one will have dramatic courtroom scenes?"), but Jodi was still able to keep me hooked. Then I read Nineteen Minutes, and decided it was time to call it off.
One big problem
XxTainaxX
Aug 27, 2016 XxTainaxX rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful read. After an act of violence is perpetuated at the local high school, those 19 minutes change a New Hampshire town forever. The writing is riveting and poignant. We are reading about the events leading up to the climax. The history of the individuals involved. Their mindset. It's a lot to take in. Especially because the good aren't all good and the bad aren't all bad. I think as readers, it puts us in a unique and introspective position as we are not shown only the parts tha ...more
Kwesi 章英狮
Jan 08, 2011 Kwesi 章英狮 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, jodi-picoult, 2011
I can't stop loving this book, if you guys only have the chance to read this. Sometimes I find her works destructing, annoying and a good sleeping pill for those people who suffer from insomnia. I might be too judgmental but swear, you can take my words after reading her earlier works. This time Picoult wanted to portray a community, a school, where innocent students were bullied by the jocks. The reality of a typical American school environment for students who suffer to stand out in the crowd ...more
Annalisa
Feb 18, 2009 Annalisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: McKay Robinson
I tend to rate books by how much they make me think, how much they make me feel, and how much they draw me into their world. With an almost obsessive interest in Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, Nineteen Minutes gets high marks from me. The book starts with the scene of a school shooting where you feel a disgust for the kid doing the shooting and sorrow for the victims but as you glean settings from flashbacks you come to sympathize with everyone in the book as a victim, each experiencing loss of ...more
Windy
Jun 09, 2009 Windy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This is what I have come to understand about Jodi Picoult. She takes a controversial or emotionally-charged topic. School shootings. Childhood leukemia. Amish people. Then she centers that topic around terribly cliched characters and cranks the schmaltz meter to 11. The novels alternate between characters' points of view so quickly that Picoult rivals most TV news stations in offering endless shallow ten-second bits of information. Each little section, offered at a rate that would overwhelm even ...more
Dora Santos Marques
A minha opinião em vídeo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlicM...

Simplesmente adorei este livro.
Toda a história à volta do bullying e do massacre que aconteceu na escola, o desenvolvimento e depoimento das personagens, a maneira que está contado...perfeito.
Mais um excelente livro da Jodi Picoult.
Mariah
Oct 02, 2014 Mariah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This book really makes you think!! I suggest it to everyone!
Wormie
May 20, 2007 Wormie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone desperate for anything to read
Nineteen Minutes is Jodi Picoult’s most recent novel, and I predict it will become her best seller to date. It focuses on the events leading up to and following a high school shooting.

Peter Houghton, picked on by school mates from the first day of kindergarten, enters Sterling High, and in nineteen minutes kills ten and wounds another nineteen students.

In typical fashion, Picoult shapes her story by providing various perspectives. We are able to put the story together from Peter’s perspective a
Bill
Aug 11, 2013 Bill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The only other Picoult book I read was My Sister's Keeper, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Nineteen Minutes is a favorite among most people, so I had this one slated to read whenever I wanted a quick summer read.

For the last 100 or so pages, I could hardly put it down. Her formula for keeping the reader engaged works very well.
But I had some issues with this book that annoyed the hell out of me. Firstly, I have never come across so many stupid and needless analogies. Or are they similes? Whatever.
Janna
Jun 15, 2007 Janna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Dawn
This is an amazing story from one of my favorite authors.
The subject matter is really hard to deal with, especially if you have teenagers or have ever been ridiculed at school. She handles it superbly and puts us right into the action. Feeling the anguish, the anger and the hurt. Showing us how true it is that there is always two -or more -sides to every story. We are forced to grapple with what is just and right. How far our culture will go to be accepted and what a huge impact a teenagers soc
Suzanne
Aug 18, 2012 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Piccoult novel. I really liked it. Reflecting on this has made me think I need to re visit some more of her writing. This I look forward to. Sometimes I need a reminder.
Jann
May 06, 2008 Jann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Jodi Picoult novel I've picked up, despite having her recommended by several of my friends for various novels. I have to admit the plot summary was intriguing enough to pique my interest.

I grew up in a world where school shootings hadn't happened yet. Columbine happened when I was a senior in high school, just a couple months short of graduation. I remember the shift in collective conciousness at the time, how that one terrible event affected us all. After all, it could've be
Karla
I really feel this book well haunt me. It left a strong impression on my heart. I loved the writing style which gave me a window into all sides of the story from parents of the students, victims, lawyers, judge, shooter, shooter's parents and so on. Was a mystery that made me continue to figure out what all went down. I would recommend this to anyone, it opened my eyes. If my kids were older teens I'd like them to read this as well. Bullying is a huge problem and this was an extreme case. Kids n ...more
Courtney Payne
My introduction to Jodi Picoult was through the book My Sister's Keeper, which was one of the best books that I read last year. Not so much for her writing, but for the subject matter and the way she crafted the book to have every side of a controversial topic be addressed from a first person perspective by many characters. I quickly picked up several more of her novels after I wept like a baby reading my Sister's Keeper. Every time I was disappointed. But I keep trying. I picked up the audio of ...more
Celia
Apr 12, 2008 Celia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love Jodi Picoult
Recommended to Celia by: bookclub
Is there a shelf for a book I have to stop reading because I can't stand something about it? In this case, that the writer is a machine that swallows magazines whole and spews out a topic of the month.

Ellie
Well, I've gone all over GR saying negative things about Jodi Picoult which leaves me blushing when I write I really, really liked Nineteen Minutes. I held out as long as I could while reading it-I admit, I am compelled to read books about school shootings, such as Columbine by Dave Cullen and We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver. And so, despite my repeatedly dissing Jodi Picoult, of course I had to read 19 Minutes. And I have a number of complaints: the "ripped from the headlines" hoo ...more
Love Fool
Apr 27, 2016 Love Fool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sterling is an ordinary New Hampshire town where nothing ever happens--until the day its complacency is shattered by an act of violence. Josie Cormier, the daughter of the judge sitting on the case, should be the state's best witness, but she can't remember what happened before her very own eyes--or can she? As the trial progresses, fault lines between the high school and the adult community begin to show--destroying the closest of friendships and families.

Jodi Picoult has a talent for making y
Terrie Shortsleeve
Joana Esteves
Jan 29, 2014 Joana Esteves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca
4,5*

Um livro que me surpreendeu bastante!
Aoibhínn
This novel is an absolutely compelling and brilliant read. The tragic premise of a school shooting by a lonely nerdy boy, Peter, who has been bullied constantly since he started school for being "different" and until one day after years of torment and abuse, he finally snaps and takes a backpack full of guns to school and he kills ten people.

Jodi Picoult skilfully explores the events leading up to and following the shooting from all angles, and she does it so subtly that before you know it, you
Petra Eggs
Apr 21, 2009 Petra Eggs rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
I've read quite a lot of Picoult now. I started on a high note - My Sister's Keeper, which apart from the cop-out ending, was a really fantastic read. I mostly enjoyed her books with the exception of Salem Falls which failed to ring any bells for me at all, but this book, Nineteen Minutes was... tedious. It started off ok, but one major character turned out to be a red herring and just another woman in need of a f*** and her opposite number, who looked like she was going to be an uber-earth moth ...more
Carrie
Feb 13, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AMAZING...she did it again! I love how there is a twist at the end!!!
Morgan
Feb 21, 2008 Morgan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents
I have to say that I read this with pretty low hopes, having just finished My Sister's Keeper, and being pretty angry (well, maybe angry is too strong a word) with the ending. I have to say that I enjoyed this one much more, although I think most of that comes from me being a parent and appreciating some sort of the "eye-opening" that parents need sometimes to fully appreciate and shepherd the children in their care.

This book definitely affords that, as most it deals with parents caught within
Kelly
Mar 30, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, favorites
Believe it or not, Nineteen Minutes is the first and only Jodi Picoult book that I have read thus far. I can't imagine why I didn't discover her long ago. I loved this one and will definitely be checking out a few of her others.

I found this book to be very thought-provoking. When we see school shootings on the news (and there've sure been plenty of them), we only get a one-dimensional glance of the event. Rarely do we learn much about the shooter's personal life prior and leading up to the event
Merrin
Aug 27, 2007 Merrin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bestsellers
I’d heard a lot about her and decided to pick this book up because I wanted to know what the hype was about.

The book’s good, entertaining, well written (for the most part) but I can also see what it is about her that makes her so appealing to the mass market. She definitely has those moments in books where you can tell she set out, in this scene, to tug at your heart strings, manipulative. Maybe not quite as hard core as Nicholas Sparks, but she’s definitely playing the audience.

I suppose, in
Mia Prasetya
In nineteen minutes, you can mow the front lawn, color your hair, watch a third of a kockey game. In nineteen minutes, you can bake scones or get a tooth filled by a dentist, you can fold laundry for a family of five.

In nineteen minutes, you can order a pizza and get it delivered. You can read a story to a child or have your oil changed. You can walk a mile. You can sew a hem.

In nineteen minutes, you can stop the world, or you can just jump off it.

In nineteen minutes, you can get revenge.

-Ninete
What happens to Peter and Josie? 2 26 May 20, 2017 11:08PM
Something that bothered me ..... 1 23 Mar 26, 2017 06:56PM
  • Home Again
  • Secrets She Left Behind (Before the Storm #2)
  • Look Again
  • Cage of Stars
  • These Things Hidden
  • Blessings
  • Testimony
  • True to Form (Katie Nash, #3)
  • Fly Away Home
  • Eye Contact
  • The Secret Between Us
  • The Rescue
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-three novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, SMALL GREAT THINGS, is available in hardcover, ebook, and aud
More about Jodi Picoult...

“If you gave someone your heart and they died, did they take it with them? Did you spend the rest of forever with a hole inside you that couldn't be filled?” 4036 likes
“You don't need water to feel like you're drowning, do you?” 1840 likes