Start by marking “Embraced by Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian, #5)” as Want to Read:
Embraced by Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian, #5)

Embraced by Darkness (Riley Jenson Guardian #5)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  12,523 Ratings  ·  277 Reviews
BONUS: This edition contains excerpts from Keri Arthur's Destiny Kills and Darkest Kiss.

She's hunting a killer—
and shattering every boundary—
she's ever known.…

Published July 31st 2007 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Embraced by Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embraced by Darkness

Ambre
May 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
People have such low standards for their heroines, it is really kind of sad. Riley does stupid stuff, treats her boyfriend like crap, and is openly disdainful to her boss. I guess that adds up to totally cool if you have super powers?

I keep thinking she will start to annoy me less, but quite the opposite. Her whining about not being able to sleep with everything with a penis, her constant rudeness to everyone, and the fact that she can't think her way out of a paper bag make me crazy.

The books a
Tilly Slaton
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
*sigh*

Perhaps I am in a reading funk. Perhaps I am not giving Arthur's last two books a fair chance.

Nonetheless, I shall write my honest opinion. This book put me to sleep.

Riley Jenson, a Guardian / super non-human cop who is apparently judge, jury and executioner, wiggles her way into ... or out of... the fear of commitment to Kellen, an alpha werewolf yadda yadda ...

He wants to protect her. She doesn't need his protection. He wants the white picket fence. She wants to dig her fingers into he
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
Once again, Keri Arthur pulled it off. The series is still going strong for me. Riley is an awesome heroine!

In this book, she was more of a one man kind of woman--so her sex life was not nearly as outrageous as it normally tends to be. Being book #5 in the series, I think it was a good choice to put Riley at a crossroads of sorts...she is forced to make some tough decisions. Her life is ever-changing and in several ways not as I had expected. The experimental drugs that were forced on her in ea
Lorre
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Big chances for Riley in this one! I'm curious to see how it plays out in the next book!
Summer
I have to say that so far each book in this series has gotten a little bit better than the last one. Once again Riley is involved with another murder investigation with the Directorate. She's finally kicked Quinn to the curb and is spending quality time with Kellen. Some people from her and Rhoan's past make an appearance and ask Riley for a favor. However, these aren't friendly people and they don't ask nice. Kellen asks Riley to make an important decision in this book too.
I don't want to give
P.A. Lupton

I loved the first three Riley Jenson books. I had a bit of trouble with Dangerous Games, but I enjoyed it by the end and I was looking forward to Embraced by Darkness. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed and I’m a little worried the magic of Riley Jenson is gone for me.

There is no denying that Keri Arthur is a good author. I like her writing style. I like the paranormal world she’s created. I love the fact that her heroine kicks major ass. So, why was I disappointed? I think this is a matte
Melindeeloo
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No picket fences yet for Riley.

The thing I love about these books is that Riley is such a capable kick butt heroine. Being a werewolf vampire crossbreed means that the bad guys tend to underestimate her. Even when her equally amazing brother is around to lend a hand, it is still Riley that saves the day. Riley continues to struggle with her love life and search for her soul mate, and she continues to develope amazing new powers as a result of a fertility drug she was slipped in book one. Many o
Kirsty
Jun 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keri-arthur
Thank God I've finished this book. It took me a couple of weeks to finish it because I found it so boring. I thought this was a waste of a story in this series. Like I said in a previous review, Kellen is such a pointless character. I'm glad he's gone. That was the only good thing to come out of this book, even thought there was no Quinn...at all!
It was good to see that Riley has stopped her constant moaning about being a Guardian and even seems to embrace it!

It was obvious that Riley and Rhoa
Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer
I'm going to give this book a 3.5. Now don't get me wrong I still love my Riley Jensen, but come on now - no Quinn. Point deductions for that!!! It was an interesting story line and of course Riley is her usual kick-ass self. But on another note - how many times can this poor girl get shot full of silver and live to tell the tale....LOL. Obviously I'm glad she does but in this book it was a bit overkill. IMO. Still loving the series though.
Louisa
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this book was so fantastic! So many ups and downs, and it was freaking fantastic! But that ending, oh! I need to read more!
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riley is supposed to be on holiday to recover from events in the previous books but she never has been one to sit around doing nothing. This time her holiday is spoiled when she is contacted by a member of her mother's pack - the pack that exiled her & Rhoan for being half breeds. Riley wants as little to do with them as they have had to do with her but now they need her help - one of their pack members has gone missing and they want Riley to find her. If Riley refuses then her mother will b ...more
Tez
Jul 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Debora M | Nasreen
Promosso a pieni voti anche questo quinto romanzo dedicato alla nostra Riley, mezzosangue metà licantropo e metà vampiro, che assieme al fratello gemello Rhoan si troverà nuovamente invischiata in una caccia all'assassino veramente particolare e sanguinariamente intrigante, per gli amanti del genere.

In questo romanzo, che vede mancare interamente il nostro beneamino Quinn (anche se il signorino si è più volte comportato male con Riley, ci manca), abbiamo il piacere di veder investigare assieme i
Dorri
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-urban
In the begining of the fifth installment of Keri Arthur's half werewolf, half vampire heroine, Riley Jenson, we find her chasing her tail with boredom on a forced vacation. Even the beauty of Monitor Island can't seem to calm the new huntress Riley finds rising inside her. But all the doubts and worries circling inside her are shoved aside when the Alpha of the red wolf pack shows up to get Riley to searching for a missing wolf of their pack. All the old hurts rise inside of Riley as she remembe ...more
Shelley
Synopsis: The book starts with Riley on holiday on Monitor island to recover from all the events of the last year (and last four books). She is contacted, in her head, by a member of her former pack, Blake Jenson, who demands that she looks into the disappearance of a pack member, Adrienne, and threatens to hurt Riley and Rhoan's mother if she doesn't comply. (A mother who in all aspects of life; abandoned them because of their dual heritage. Blake, it seems, is also the new alpha of the pack, a ...more
Shera (Book Whispers)
For me this was the weakest book, which considering how awesome this series is does not make this a bad book. Not in the least. However, every series has one book that just seems to lose some of the punch.

The mystery in Embraced by Darkness is probably where I had the biggest issue, because it was weaker then the other books and I could actually predict who the villains were and how everything was connected. Riley—again!!—kept leaving her weapon behind, and someone is basically out to kill her!
Description:
She's hunting a killer—and shattering every boundary—she's ever known.…
Part vamp, part werewolf, Riley Jenson plays by her own rules, whether it’s her stormy love life or her job as a guardian. But when her family’s alpha male demands that she solve the mystery of a vanished girl, Riley can feel a trap closing in around her. Because the job comes with a catch: if Riley fails, her own mother will die.
Now the stakes are raised, the hunt is on...and when more women vanish, Riley is ca
It's Me - Yvette
Slight spoilers ahead.

I have absolutely loved this series thus far and was excited to start this book. For me, this book was a little lacking (compared to the previous books in the series). Riley finally decided to go after her dreams and try to settle down with Kellan. Kellan, rightly so, has decided that he can't continue to be second to Riley's job - a job he can't protect her from -- and that is playing havoc with the alpha wolf.

Even though I'm "team Quinn", he wasn't in this book, except f
Cassie
It's strange, but there's something relaxing about reading these books, even though I'm not really that into this series. They're a bit too dark and gruesome for my tastes. I also find them a little boring because Riley thinks so much and keeps repeating things over and over and over... The overriding theme of this particular book is that Riley prefers hazelnut coffee, but several things are almost as good.

I did have an "oh that sucks" moment at the end of the book. It's amazing how often Quinn
Heather Book Savvy Babe
I am a big fan of this series, it just gets better. The main character, Riley is a half-werewolf, half-vampire who is constantly putting her life on the line ridding the world of bad vampires/shifters/demons/crazy humans, etc… Riley is really growing up, learning how to accept and adjust to her circumstances. I have always liked Riley for accepting her nature and having a pretty good self-esteem. So, even though her character is going through massive changes, she rolls with the punches pretty go ...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Before moving to Melbourne with her twin, Riley and Rhoan were part of a werewolf pack that treated them poorly. Now, the Alpha is in town demanding she take on a mission for him. A girl has gone missing and Riley's mother will die if she doesn't do as the Alpha requests.

She's also trying to give everything to her relationship with Kellen, another werewolf and an Alpha, but he doesn't want to share her with her job as a Guardian.

The fifth book in the series, it wasn't as gripping as the previou
Lori
Sep 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, ebooks
A four-star rating in the middle of a 1-2 star series? Say it isn't so!

I really enjoyed this book, and I think it was in large part due to the fact that the bad guys were actually trying to kill Riley, not sleep with her. (If you've read the first four books, you're probably as shocked as I am.) In fact, there was less sex in general in this book, which forces it to stand on storytelling alone... which, to Arthur's credit, it does quite well. It's also nice to see some character development. (An
**Sognatrice di libri**
Mi è piaciuto moltissimo ma la parte più bella secondo me è stata il due di picche che gli ha mollato Kellen a Riley quando lei gli ha detto che si era decisa ad impegnarsi seriamente con lui. Li sono stata letteralmente felice così impara Quinn le aveva fatto la stessa proposta di Kellen ma lei aveva rifiutato però quando gliel'ha fatta il nostro alfa lei ha accettato così penso che si è letteralmente meritata il rifiuto di Kellen.

Se non si è capito tifo Quinn e meno male che nel prossimo libro
Michelle
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riley is becoming a Guardian whether she likes it or not! And she has some major decisions to make regarding her love life.... I'm looking forward to more from this series to see more of her powers grow!!
☀Rachael☀
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The twists and turns continue!
Asia
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Quinn here :(
but plenty of action and lovin other wise.
BUT enough with the same adjectives and descriptions.
"kaleidoscope of sensation"
ugh
Jun 14, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story dragged without Quinn. Kellen is just...boring.
Fefi
In questo nuovo capitolo della serie Riley si ritrova ad investigare su più omicidi commessi da un serial killer che vuole vendetta e da uno spirito terribile che colpisce con una violenza inaudita. Il sesso, pur non mancando, è notevolmente messo da parte,rispetto ai precedenti libri, però la storia non mi ha convinto molto: alcune parti non mi hanno trasmesso la solita adrenalina, ma in compenso ho trovato accattivante il finale, con un bel colpo di scena e continuano a piacermi molto i battib ...more
Amy Bradley
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
content note: infidelity, murder

What could be worse than a god of darkness and pain and death? A spirit out for revenge possessing others to fulfill its desires. Meanwhile, an old enemy, now leader of her former pack, has contacted Riley to demand she investigate his granddaughter's disappearance - or he will kill her mother. Throw in someone trying to kill her and Kellen pressing for an exclusive commitment and Riley has more than her hands full.
  • Keeping Secret (Secret McQueen, #4)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • The Watcher  (Anna Strong Chronicles, #3)
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
  • Dawnbreaker (Dark Days, #3)
  • Possession (Blood Ties, #2)
  • On the Prowl (Tales of an Urban Werewolf, #2)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville, #3)
  • New Moon (Moon #6)
  • Rogue (Shifters, #2)
  • Night Huntress (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #5)
  • Beneath the Skin (Darkwing Chronicles, #3)
  • Pure Blood (Nocturne City, #2)
  • Speak of the Devil (Morgan Kingsley, #4)
  • Blood Lines (World of the Lupi, #3)
Keri Arthur, author of the New York Times bestselling Riley Jenson, Guardian series, has now written more than 25 books. She's received several nominations in the Best Contemporary Paranormal category of the Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Awards, and recently won RT's Career Achievement Award for urban fantasy. She lives in Melbourne with her daughter and two crazy dogs
More about Keri Arthur...

Riley Jenson Guardian (9 books)
  • Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Tempting Evil (Riley Jenson Guardian #3)
  • Dangerous Games (Riley Jenson Guardian #4)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Riley Jenson Guardian #6)
  • Deadly Desire (Riley Jenson Guardian #7)
  • Bound to Shadows (Riley Jenson Guardian #8)
  • Moon Sworn (Riley Jenson Guardian, #9)
“My eyes were stinging, my body shaking, and my heart seemed to be just aching deep in my chest. (...)
I should have let myself smash down the rocks. It would have hurt a whole lot less”
6 likes