Start by marking “My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face” as Want to Read:

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  2,792 Ratings  ·  303 Reviews
Get ready for the read of your life. Never before has a single book combined awesome vans, unicorns, Billy Joel, and erotic fiction in such a potent combination. A writing tour de force? Perhaps. A reading experience that will sear itself into your consciousness like a red-hot branding iron? Without question.

Comedian and basic cable superstar Michael Ian Black unleashes
Published July 15th 2008 by Gallery Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Custom Van, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Custom Van

Lisa
Jun 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hilarious
I bought my husband this book for Father's Day and of course I read it before I gave it to him... It was really funny and a great gift! Everyone will find it enjoyable and humorous :) There are some people who may not really appreciate Michael Ian Black's humor though, and those people are Christians, practicing or not practicing, people who are easily offended, and possibly people who are not easily offended but are open to being offended, people who are either for or against abortion, people w ...more
Melki
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous-essays
Michael Ian Black is a guy I know mostly from Sierra Mist commercials and his little quips on VH1's "I Love Pretty Much Everything" shows.

So why on earth did I buy his book? Remainder catalogue, baby.

Overall, this is a pretty good collection of comic essays. In fact, it's sharper and funnier than some I've read by more established (and wealthier) comedians. Just reading the table of contents was enough to provoke a smile. You probably don't even need to read the actual essays. The titles and a
Angela
Sep 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteens looking for "dirty" books
I hesiated giving this book one star, fearing that some imaginary reader would see this review and snort derisively: "She's such a prude." And I'm not. And least, I don't think I am.

Much.

Point is, I don't think of myself as particularly uptight about a lot of things. I may have been known to use a four-letter word or two (or two hundred...) in my life. I'm all for open-mindedness. It takes a quite a bit to offend me.

And I wasn't OFFENDED by the book--I was ANNOYED. It wasn't the constant use of
Doug
Nov 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book was funny, but I did not experience my mind blowing all over my face as was promised by the cover. I think Black tries a little too hard in some of the 'essays'. If someone gives this to you as a gift, read and enjoy, but you don't necessarily need to purchase your own copy.
Paul
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty funny book, but I found that I had to read the essays in shifts. I really enjoyed - sometimes really laughed at - his observations, but I just couldn't read more than a few essays in one sitting without losing a little appreciation for the humor. It's not even that the humor is so much repetitive; it's more that (for the most part) each piece is a work unto itself that has nothing to do with what came before or after it. I think that it might be the really absurdist nature of th ...more
Emily
Aug 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with a sense of humor
Recommended to Emily by: Matt Kuhn
I have been a huge Michael Ian Black fan for a while (minus that weird show he did with those two other guys on VH1). This book does not disappoint if you like complete nonsense humor delivered with unwavering seriousness. For me this was a much-needed, easy breath of fresh air in between One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Feminine Mystique.
Leenda dela Luna
I thought it was boring.
But I wonder if it's like my reaction to David Sedaris. I can't stand reading David Sedaris' books. But I love hearing him read his books. This might be the same.
Brendan
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009, humor
I've been a fan of MIB ever since his days on MTV's The State. I enjoyed Vive La Variety and his runs on I Love the.... I loved the television show Stella. So I had high expectations for My Custom Van. As with much comedy writing, it was funny, but not as funny as I wanted it to be. For some reason, the essay form often doesn't make me laugh as much as I hope or think it should. I enjoy David Sedaris and laugh at his audiobooks, but I rarely laugh at the print versions of his books.

My Custom Van
Jeremy Zerbe
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You probably know Michael Ian Black from any of the numerous "I Love the [Something:]" shows on VH1, or as an integral part of comedy troupes The State and Stella. I didn't, however, know him as a stand-up comic on his own (his album, I Am A Wonderful Man, is quite fantastic), or an essayist. Well... "essayist" might be a rather misleading term. Yes, his book, My Custom Van, is filled with essays, but it won't be found on shelves anywhere near the works of John Gardner or Noam Chomsky.

Not that I
Carl
Jul 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first started this book, I had some trouble getting into it. I could only read 2 or 3 of the 4-page humorous essays at a time. But as the pages were turned, something clicked, and I couldn't read more than a few sentences without cracking a smile. And I couldn't read more than a page without laughing out loud (and I couldn't do this without feeling ashamed on a very real level, especially while riding the subway). To test whether this was material that only I could find funny, I had my mo ...more
Taco Party 1 13 Sep 29, 2011 01:04PM
... 1 13 Sep 25, 2009 06:02PM
  • Mr. Funny Pants
  • Claw Your Way to the Top: How to Become the Head of a Major Corporation in Roughly a Week
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • State by State with the State: An Uninformed, Poorly Researched Guide to the US
  • Dracula is a Racist: A Totally Factual Guide to Vampires
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • A Practical Guide to Racism
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • Into Hot Air: Mounting Mount Everest
  • My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real*, Never-Before-Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll
  • America, You Sexy Bitch
  • The Will to Whatevs: A Guide to Modern Life
  • Things I've Learned from Women Who've Dumped Me
  • Pure Drivel
  • Mortified 2: Love is a Battlefield
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • The Smartest Book in the World: A Lexicon of Literacy, A Rancorous Reportage, A Concise Curriculum of Cool
Michael Ian Black (very famous) is a popular comedian who began his career with The State, a sketch comedy troupe he co-founded at New York University in 1988, which went on to have a successful run on MTV. He then co-created the Comedy Central television series "Viva Variety," a fake European variety show. From there, he appeared on several television shows before landing the role of Phil Stubbs, ...more
More about Michael Ian Black...
“The truth is I feel bad about calling you a whore. I don't know anything about your personal life; my judgment was based on nothing more than a general whorish vibe you give off.

You look like you'd screw any squirrel that came your way. You look like you'd even screw the knothole in that tree where you live. But this is all speculation on my part, based on nothing more than your aforementioned whorish vibe and sleazy demeanor. Maybe I'm wrong about you. If so, I apologize.

But I really don't think I am.”
16 likes
“If they have to drag some of you fucking fuckers out of here in body bags, I will be so fucking stoked.” 9 likes