Start by marking “Alistair Cooke's America” as Want to Read:
Alistair Cooke's America

Alistair Cooke's America

Classics stand the test of time, and Alistair Cooke's history of America is a classic.
Nearly three decades have passed since the original edition of America -- based on journalist-historian Cooke's extraordinarily popular thirteen-part television series -- sold more than a million copies. Yet Cooke's view of America's dynamic past and its impact upon the always-changing
Published August 25th 2009 by Basic Books (first published September 12th 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Alistair Cooke's America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alistair Cooke's America

Start your review of Alistair Cooke's America
Chris Brimmer
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A little dated and by nature not as deep as it could be, but it is a sympathetic third party look at American history by an Englishman who knew us well. The writing style is very user-friendly especially for those who are not history wonks. I think it could be the basis of a good high school American history course. I've re-read this book countless times since I rescued a copy from the recycling bin while in high school.
Roy Lotz
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
... a sign proclaiming in three words that a Roman emperor's orgy is now a democratic institution. It says: 'Topless Pizza Lunch.'

(As in my reviews of Kenneth Clarke’s Civilisation and Jacob Bronowski’s The Ascent of Man, this review focuses on the documentary, not the tie-in book.)

This documentary is a window into another time, when the public intellectual was a far more respected institution. Nowadays it is hard to imagine a popular program that contained long stretches of a man simply tal
Trish
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Alistair Cooke covers over 450 years of American history, its people, places, and ideas. Not comprehensive but full of details that I did not know. His style reminded me of another radio commentator, Paul Harvey, with his "and now for the rest of the story" details. It was written in 1973, during the Cold War years, years I remember well. I wish A. Cooke was still living so he could do an up-date. No one else has his style and command of the language.

It is apparent that the author loved America
John Sutherland
Jun 20, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved to listen to Alistair Cooke when he broadcast 'letter from America' on the BBC in England in the 1950's, when I was a boy. Elvis was also a popular entertainer. Cooke was a most entertaining speaker. He wrote, as he spoke, concisely, pungently, informatively, wittily, in superb English as befitted his journalistic training, and always entertainingly. This book as well as his 'The Americans' and 'Six men' are all in the same genre; very clever. Well worth reading.
Olivia
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether speaking or writing; listening or reading, his was a clear and mellifluous voice. The tone and emphasis always just right. although his Radio 'Letters from America' are, today, described as having been 'informal' I don't think that would be said if heard again in current times.
The inflection, tone and timing were always just so and crystal clear. His pronunciation never grating. He conveyed a gest, a joke, humour, sadness or severity without needing to announce that to be his intention.
W
Mark
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb read. A man with a true grasp of the massive history of America and its development. His perspective of historical events come with an excellent slant and he has managed to note the many hidden aspects of American history that you would rarely find in such detail in a single place. One of the best non-fiction novels I have read.
Bill
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the big cultural communicators of his time, so I expected more quirky insight, that everyday experience would inform this magnum opus more. But it was mainstream and conventional. In some areas (nuclear power and computers) he's drunk the kool-aid but had no insight. To be fair this was written in the 70s when the Cold War was a major pre-occupation. So respect to AC but no worship.
Aakash Kumar
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's really a fascinating book with some very interesting collection of incidents that have taken place in American hisory. I loved it and got to know about many facts regarding american history which i never knew.
Steven Naude
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is for the audiobook to be found on Audible.com

Cooke has gained worldwide fame for his splendid weekly "Letter from America" which lasted for many decades. In this book he provides a succinct yet masterfully insightful panorama of America history from pre-Columbus to about 1970. It was based on a TV series he made for the BBC. He has the gift of vision and discrimination - he can cut through the glory a folk hero and an assassinated president while shining a worthy spotlight on neglected c
Nirmal
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old book but very well written with great photographs and illustrations. It was originally aired as a BBC TV series.

It covers the narrative history in a nice documentary sort of way and its highly readable, enjoyable and informative.

It is a good introductory work about America. Recommended for anyone not familiar with American history or anyone interested in brushing up his knowledge about America.
Fran
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Nicely read by Mr. Cooke. A very interesting retelling of our history. I like his perspective on the origins of our various episodes in history and the way he made the story of America blend into a complete whole rather than merely a series of chapters. I didn't agree so much with all of his conclusions - this story was written prior to 2001. Found this book to be interesting and thought-provoking.
Steve Haywood
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, popular, america, usa
This is a great book, a fascinating all in one guide to American History. I've only read half of it. This may seem not much of a recommendation, but reading the book drew me in to the subject so much that I start deviating off, reading other sources covering the same period of history. It was a library book, I'd renewed it once, and thought I should give someone else a chance and get on with reading a novel or two. But I will go back to it, but I'll probably buy it next time.
James Haliburton
Excellent overview of the last 400 years of the US's history told in Cooke's inimitable style - witty, deeply thought out and above all informative. Although written in the 70s, his comments are just as relevant today and give an interesting insight in the historical causes and effects of American society as we know it.
Fran
Jul 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A bit dated as to his conclusions, probably because it was written before the turn of the century. But up to the final chapter, the story of our development flows fascinatingly from Mr. Cooke's pen, from the continent's earliest days until the 70' or 90s. I would strongly recommend this book.
pjr8888
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthropology
autographed by the author
sixth printing 1974
Emily
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A excellent and simple history book. It is a perfect start for any young adults historical reading.
David
Dec 03, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember hearing Cooke called a "modern Toqueville" in a review of this book. The description seems apt. Cooke views the people in American history with a clear but sympathetic eye.
Jan C
Jun 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in american history and/or literature
Shelves: non-fiction
This came out around the time he did the series on PBS.

It has great pictures which were taken by Cooke. It is a fairly interesting overview of America and its history.
Peter
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A good book to dip in and out of, providing insight into key events in US history.
Jim Stephens
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was written well. Factually solid. Liked.
Vivencio
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dunno how this measures up to today's research standards but found myself reading it in one sitting.
McKnight
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and all I got was a lousy super brain.
Dale
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Published in 1973.

In 1973, undoubtedly to prepare for the upcoming 1976 bicentennial of the American Declaration of Independence, BBC reporter and author Alistair Cooke released a book and a television mini-series telling the history of the United States to the U.K. The book and the series came to America as well with the book selling nearly 2 million copies. This massive "coffee table" type book has 393 pages and weighs in at 3 pounds, 9 ounces (compare that to a random paperback book I weighed
Jal
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I found it to be an easy read and a welcome change from the usual tomes of American history now being written by eminent historians. Cooke was essentially a journalist and radio broadcaster. As such, he could tell a good story with a conciseness which avoided boring the reader into a lull. His tale of what we call America ranges from several hundred years ago to the present day, and is one that should perhaps be seen more as a condensed version of the history of the USA. In ...more
JoJo
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved listening to Alistair Cooke's letter from America as a child and this book is part of the gentler less politically charged approach to a countries history. Maybe a few things are not delved in to, but it is a nice read and a fins reminder of a great man.
Lynettes

• Churchill and Orwell: The Fight for Freedom
  • Coffin Road
  • The Second Coming
  • Dublin: The Making of a Capital City
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer
  • The Guilty Feminist: From Our Noble Goals to Our Worst Hypocrisies
  • The Story of Philosophy: The Lives and Opinions of the World's Greatest Philosophers
  • The Mirror & the Light (Thomas Cromwell, #3)
  • The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power
  • Bring Up the Bodies (Thomas Cromwell, #2)
  • Cleaning the Gold (Jack Reacher, #23.6; Will Trent, #8.5)
  • It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet
  • Apeirogon
  • Heart of Darkness
  • Words Without Music: A Memoir
  • Skyfaring: A Journey with a Pilot
Alistair Cooke, KBE (1908-2004), was a legendary British American journalist, television host, and radio broadcaster. He was born in Lancashire, England, and after graduating from the University of Cambridge, was hired as a journalist for the BBC. He rose to prominence for his London Letter reports, broadcast on NBC Radio in America during the 1930s. Cooke immigrated to the United States in 1937. ...more

News & Interviews