Start by marking “Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd” as Want to Read:
Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd

Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd

Includes stories and essays which are drawn from the author's writings for both Guideposts and for other publications. They offer a glimpse into the early years of the author's journey as a writer and as a spiritual seeker. This work also includes reflections on the author's multiple roles as mother, daughter, wife, nurse, and writer.
Published October 10th 2006 by GuidepostsBooks (first published October 5th 2006)

Leah
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was the breath of fresh air I've been needing for a long time. I love SMK's writing, especially her spiritual writings. This book is a compilation of all the short narratives she wrote for Guideposts when she was just starting out as a writer. I usually write down quotes that I love from books I'm reading, and I might as well have copied this whole book into my journal. The stories are inspiring, and insightful. She can take the simplest observation in an ordinary day and turn it into ...more
Meggie
Mar 23, 2018 rated it liked it
An odd book, collecting Kidd’s early spiritual reflections from Guideposts magazine. Each chapter holds to a loose theme, with numerous short stories, reflections and vignettes on the theme. Some reflections were insightful, beautifully written and interesting. Other reflections were over-thought, preachy, and immature.

Kidd’s thoughts inspired me to look at the world differently and to perhaps do a little writing of my own.I particularly enjoyed her thoughts on motherhood and parenting.
Heather Mauriello
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I actually cried twice while reading this. Some of the stories were not as relevant to me, but obviously some really hit home! I love that I could read as many as I wanted and then put the book down and come back to the next few stories.
Jo
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Beautiful compilation of finding God in the everyday... This is one of those books that I continue to think about on a daily basis
Debbie Smith
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
"I ponder the seasons of love in a life, knowing that there is a time to hold on and a time to let go, a time to tag along and a time to wave goodbye."

I am not much for short stories, this book did not find me in the right season. It just didn't fit where I am right now.
Jean Marie Angelo
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I needed something to soothe my soul and I found it. I picked up Firstlight at a used book sale and it sat on my nightstand for 15 months. I started reading it because I needed short, well-writte bursts of insight and inspiration. I liked Sue Monk Kidd's Secret Life of Bees and it is one of the few books that I began rereading as soon as I completed it. While it might be argued that her writing is too sweet, at times, there is a grit and reality that is always there.

Firstlight is early non ficti
Dana Beyer
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, community
It is amazing book about finding the 'still small voice' inside her. Sue bases this book on her own l family life. She is able to see God everywhere in everyone. This quote is an example of the simplicity and compassion in her descriptive writing prose: "I have one of those wooden Russian nesting dolls. If you open her up, you find another doll inside, and if you open that one up, you will find still another doll. In fact you can keep opening until you have nine separate dolls standing in a row, ...more
Juliana Haught
Aug 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
_Firstlight_ is a collection of essays written by Kidd, grouped by topic rather than chronology, and even within each topic the essays aren't arranged in chronological order. The author reveals different moments in her personal growth as a spiritual person in a very accessible, vulnerable way. Kidd writes from a Christian background, I believe Episcopalian. She is an incredibly poetic and visual writer - I'd read just about anything by her on any topic just to hear her words fall like music insi ...more
Patty
I borrowed this from my mom and I'm not sure I want to give it back. I find Kidd's spiritual writing to be moving, on target and very helpful. I want to sit down with her and have a long conversation. She is so honest about where she is in her life - I want to be that honest. I also wish I could write like Monk.

These essays were mostly published in Guideposts long before Monk became a famous novelist. She has gone back and edited them a bit, but it appears Monk has always been a good writer.

She
Bethany
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a warm blanket in which I wanted to wrap myself, a house in which I wanted to dwell. It's safe and comfortable and perfect for a winter's eve by the fire. It's the right balance of story and moral (though, beware, every story she tells has deeper meaning than what you see on the surface, so if you're not into that sort of thing...). It's the right balance of telling and inspiring insight, and makes me feel like I'm learning life's lessons alongside the author. It also inspires me to ...more
Katherine
Aug 22, 2007 is currently reading it
Sue Monk Kidd is awesome. I love her fiction writings, and her nonfiction/theology is also wonderful. She addresses the issue of what it means to be female and Christian--what is unique and beautiful and important about that experience. Firstlight is a collection of her earliest writings (when she wrote for Guideposts). What makes her writings so beautiful is that they all touch on the small, subtle ways that God reveals Godself to her in her daily life, and her journey to discovering and redisc ...more
Nikki
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I usually find myself shying away from story collections but this one has become a particular favorite of mine. I listened to the audio version of this book which is a collection of 4 cd's. I found myself so moved, and at times enlightened, that I chose to start each cd over to listen to them a second time. Sue Monk Kidd's way of really seeing the lessons in the small glimpses of everyday life has made me more observant in my own daily life. Now it is up to me to continue that mindful observance ...more
Catherine Greenfeder
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Having read Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees, I wasn't sure what to expect in her memoir, but I read it after a friend gifted me with it and was delighted by its beautiful prose. The book not only gave me insight into Kidd's personal life as she grew up in the South where she raised a family, worked as a nurse, found a personal connection to her Christian values, and became an award winning writer, but it made me reflect on the things that truly matter. Firstlight is heart warming and in ...more
Michelle
Sep 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: inspirational
This book was wonderful! I found myself relating to much of what SMK was writing about. It's nice to know that we all have a connection in life of circumstances, questions, love and living. As one woman to another, our rites of passage enter twine, and what one is currently going through, another is yet to imagine.
Great writing which kept my attention. I'm sorry the book has ended and I have to return it to my Mother. This is a book I could revisit many times. Kudos to Sue Monk Kidd.
Janice
Jun 14, 2011 rated it liked it
A loyal fan of Sue Monk Kidd's novels, I hadn't known she began her writing career submitting things to "Guideposts" magazine. While I find the magazine to generally be a bit emotionaloly manipulative, there was little in FIRSTLIGHT that evoked that reaction in me. FIRSTLIGHT is an enjoyable, quick read, and carries the rich, descriptive language characteristic of Ms Kidd. I especially appreciated all the book tells about her and her contemplative way of life.
Kate
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best thing I've read/listened to in a while. Kidd has transformed my commute into holy ground with her early writings of everyday spirituality. Citing favored theologians such as Anthony de Mello and Helen Prejean, she weaves her common events into contemplative moments.
This book is incredibly relate-able and calls for reflection. Thank you, Sue Monk Kidd for so honestly giving us a window into your young soul!
One of my most favorite spiritual works!
Charlotte
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I chose this as an audiobook because I liked her book, The Secret Lives of Bees, and I was looking for a book at at time that I was getting ready to go see Mom and Dad and was pretty stressed out about decisions regarding them. I thought it might be helpful to calm my nerves, and if I didn't like her approach, I also selected another book. I did listen to it and for the most part, it did provide the calming I needed!
Saiisha
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-memoir
This is a portion of the review I wrote for my blog: http://www.nestintheforest.com/first-...

This book was an unexpected find for me - one of those books that "fell off the shelf" maybe about 8 or 10 years ago. But I still remember it for its impact on me at that time, when I was abruptly spiritually awakened by a metaphorical splash of cold water, and then was getting drenched in an ocean of revelations.

Amy
Jul 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this audio book while driving, as the short inspirational essays were perfect for short distances. Although a bit too theological for my taste, Sue Monk Kidd had interesting insights on life, family life in particular. Delivered in a southern accent, these essays reminded me of certain southern family values. While I loved The Secret Life of Bees, wonderful southern fiction, I don't think I would have much cared for this book had I read it rather than listened to it.
Stephanie
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really like Sue Monk Kidd's novels, so I've wanted to read this collection of her early writing (mostly from articles in Guideposts magazine). I had a hard time with this book, mostly because it was poorly edited, I think. Each chapter or "theme" contains snippets from many different articles, which are sort of related but jump around way too much. I liked and related to many of the stories she told to illustrate her points, but I just couldn't get past the jumbled feel of the collection.
Barbara
Sep 29, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was just okay for me. A bunch of short stories about people's life finding inspiration. Although, some stories were okay it didn't have much of the lesson's of life I guess I was looking for. Just seemed like alot of places where it came across this happened and this happened but not what they really got out of the lesson. Hard to explain what I'm trying to convey here. So I'll just let it go as it's okay but not life changing.
Dec 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ANYONE!
This book was a delightful read. Each chapter covers a philosphical or religious concept. Ms. Kidd orginally wrote the essays in this book for GuidePost magazine. I marked my favorite passages to reread, and I almost NEVER do that.
I would recommend this book as a gift for anyone at any stage of life.
Dee
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some early stories and essays written by the bestselling author on self and her spiritual thinking. The stories reflect on her roles as wife, mother, daughter, nurse, and artist; and assesses what she has learned in settings from far-away places like Africa and from her own life and home. Many uplifting thoughts about life and how we are to behave towards others.
Janet Mahlum
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book on CD and couldn't stop listening. It is really a book that needs to be read, like a devotional, bit by bit, piece by piece. I loved it so much I have ordered a copy for a dear friend. I'm not a big fan of Guidepost, but am a big fan of Sue Monk Kidd. She has a beautiful way with words and has some wonderful "guidelights" to share.
Sharon Hardin
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful little book that can be read in short doses or all at once. Spirituaity is a favorite theme for my reading and Kidd's lovely prose taken from her early writings did not disappoint. This is not a book of theology, but a book about a young woman searching for meaning and a real relationship with God and creation.
Sassacaia
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
I picked this up because I love Sue Monk Kidd's later works and thought I might get some enjoyment out of reading a writer's earlier works, but it mainly focuses on her relationship with her husband, kids and God, none of which did much for me.
 Barb Bailey
Aug 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was excellent. I used it as a devotional and journaled alot of the inspirational messages. A nice surprise when I found it on the shelves in the library as I was unaware that Sue Monk Kidd had written inspirational books.
Emily
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I love beautiful writers and I'm a sucker for anything that receives a starred review in PW. Sue Monk Kidd has a way of painting with her words, especially in this book. These were all stories that appeared in Guideposts.
Laurie
Jan 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Exquisitely written inspirational short stories chock full of spiritual insights. Some of them made me cry. I often would stop and just take a moment to hold the words in my heart. I love Sue Monk Kidd. She inspires me to write about my life.
RF
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
I loved this. The importance of story. The meaning in everyday. Stillness. A nice companion to "The Quotidian Mysteries" by Kathleen Norris (I keep track of all she writes!) Really beautiful and reflective.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Path to Religion
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding, Healing, Raising the Dead
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • The Spirit of Food: Thirty-Four Writers on Feasting and Fasting Toward God
  • The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • The Eyes of the Heart: A Memoir of the Lost and Found
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • Sabbatical Journey: The Diary of His Final Year
  • Seeking Peace: Chronicles of the Worst Buddhist in the World
  • Hidden Inheritance: Family Secrets, Memory, and Faith
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Church Refugees: Sociologists reveal why the dechurched left… and what they're hoping to find
  • A Hidden Wholeness: The Journey Toward an Undivided Life
  • Learning from the Heart: Lessons on Living, Loving, and Listening

SUE MONK KIDD was raised in the small town of Sylvester, Georgia. She graduated from Texas Christian University in 1970 and later took creative writing courses at Emory University and Anderson College, as well as studying at Sewanee, Bread Loaf, and other writers’ conferences. In her forties, Kidd turned her attention to writing fiction, winning the South Carolina Fellowship in Literature and the
“In the end, the only monument that matters may be the work of love we carve into the lives around us.” 0 likes