Start by marking “The Einstein Enigma” as Want to Read:
The Einstein Enigma

The Einstein Enigma

(Tomás Noronha #2)

Combining the thrilling narrative style and imagination of Dan Brown and James Rollins with the intellectual depth of Umberto Eco and Matthew Pearl, José Rodrigues dos Santos dazzles with his remarkable thriller, The Einstein Enigma. The internationally bestselling author of Codex 632, dos Santos combines cryptology, international espionage, and a secret formula created by ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by William Morrow (first published 2006)

Start your review of The Einstein Enigma
Erik Malvick
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: print-copy, 2010, vine
The Big Bang that is. First off, I have to admit that when I heard about this book, I was picturing something along the lines of the Davinci Code or The Dante Club... You know, one of those action, mystery novels centered around a famous historical figure and their curious heritage. In this case, Albert Einstein was that central figure.

This novel does seem to start out that way. There is action, and there is mystery, and it all starts off with a bang. It seems exciting, but it also seems a bit
Ana
May 16, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ana by: My father
This book would get a 10/10 if it was a "academic" book, but as a "novel" it would get 2/10 because it fails on character development and plot thickness. As such I give it a 5/10 rate, middle ground between the two.

Podem ler a opinião completa AQUI.
Atahan Erbul
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, the best description for this book is a course book which is placed in a thriller. It touches on relativity theory, alfa and omega theory, the big bang, big crunch etc. and their connection between religions, i mean cosmos actually, in an adventure. If you like science and are interested in finding the answers about cosmos, how it starts, how it ends etc. you should take a look this book. But should not expect much from the action side of the book. Characters are simple and the fi ...more
Cynthia Hernández
Jose Rodrigues used a very commercial, winner, "a posteriori" formula for writing this whole script and in order to deliver just one single idea.

My recommendation is to skip most of the book and to read just the final chapter, I promise you won't be missing anything but a really bad and cheesy soap opera.

The conclusion of the book amazingly saves a cool hypothesis; that's why I gave the 2/5 stars.
Luís
There were many difficult passages (for me) on different scientific theories: between Einstein's relativity and chaos theory, quantum mechanics and the anthropic principle and on different religions.
But I persevered. I'm a person with a sturdy fitted capacity of mind.
Tea Jovanović
Author was recommended to me by his Bulgarian subagent, she read several of his books already translated into Bulgarian... So, the rights are bought for Serbia and the book translated... And I enjoed it very much... For the fans of Dan Brown (although I personally don't like neither Dan Brown nor his books) :) But this Portuguese author writes with right dose of mystery, science, history... Teaching you something along the way while making you enjoy the adventure... As I've found out only first ...more
Christina
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Liked this book a lot. Felt it was very "smart" or maybe it just made me feel smarter after I read it. Also made me think deeply about the universe in ways I haven't thought about it awhile. I would recommend this book not for it's literary style but for its content. I liked how the author wove the story between fact and fiction and blurred the line quite seamlessly.
Matthew Blee
May 21, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well first of all there's a lot of science in here, like huge monologues about physics. I found it interesting but be warned.
The science was actually the only bit I liked about the book. The plot was *poor*, the characters 2D, and even the 'science' took a nosedive at the end.
This was a bit of a battle to finish, especially when the science lessons finished, and when physics is the best part of a book you know something's wrong.
Jim
Apr 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
As a one-stop shop for all kinds of interesting concepts that have intrigued me for decades, this book is a home run to the upper deck. As a fictional thriller, it's a weak groundout to a charging shortstop. Conceptually, it takes on everything scientific from the eponymous Einstein to Aspect, and from chaos theory to the EPR paradox and string theory, and that's just for starters. In terms of religion and philosophy, it tackles Taoism, Kabbalah, Genesis and the 90th Psalm and much more. As such ...more
Luke
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it

This was one of the most interesting books I've ever read. The concepts it discusses caused me to think about the universe and even our own existence in completely new ways. Some of the theories explained really blew my mind. Even though by the end of the book it seemed a little too far fetched, purely base on the extreme concepts brought up in this novel, I would rate it a 9/10 and anyone who appreciates science needs to try it out.
David White
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and it maintained my interest throughout. Large quantities of physics and cosmology were woven into a fictional plot, which, although not too deep, accompanied the science aspect well. I learned plenty about the laws and physics of the universe, as well as the author's intriguing opinion about the future of the Earth. A good read for anyone at all interested in reading about some trippy concepts of the universe.
Wiem Wima
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book I liked the way he insert philosophy and science in a roman, but I waited for something much stronger more credible and I waited for a real formula.
Beside the argumentation is based on an egocentric vision on the existing of humanity like if we are sure that we are the only intelligence in the universe, and the ultimate form of it.
The argument is forced to meet his point of view, after all he did not prove the intention of the creation. Everything he presented is an hypothesis
Carlos Serrao
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure of Professor Tomas Noronha. This time about a mysterious formula that rules everything on the Universe.
This is a good and entertaining book. It makes some interesting assumptions about the origins of the Universe, how it works and how a mathematical formula can define everything that we are and how all the things we know were created.
Danielle
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Understanding that this story was created in a language different from my own, therefore I am certain some of the beauty of the language was lost in translation, I thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful combination of science, theology and mystery.
Recommended for ages 17 and older, if page 317 (in the hardcover print) is skippedthen it could be recommended for age 14.
Dede
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a science head. I can't deny the fact that the action was weak but I couldn't care less for the knowledge inside the book was amazing. The action for me was just something to fill the hole.

I don't recommend this book to people whom dislike science, technology and mathematics.

I loved the sequel as well another brilliant book full of knowledge.
Rayhan
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book but the end is a little bit disapointing
Nərmin
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want to know something about universe and explore God
Recommended to Nərmin by: My groupmate
Yeah! I have finally finished this EXCELLENT, MIND-BLOWING book! What a ride! The story is really excellent! THOMAS reminded me a little bit Robert Langdon from Da vinci code, but he is a little bit naive...
ARIANA- interesting, strong, clever woman from Iran. Her romantic relationship with Thomas felt a little useless, out-of-place I think... But they are really good couple))
The caracter development and plot were really good, but the ending was abrupt...I didnt understand what happend or what
Grada (BoekenTrol)
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody that likes a crime novel with something to think about other than the obvious "whodunnit"
Recommended to Grada (BoekenTrol) by: it was a present
Second read:
This is still a very nice book.
Not really exciting, but very interesting. I do not know whether I have understood everything after rereading, but I understood more than the first time.
Whether I could explain what the (scientific part) of the book is about? I don't think so, to do that I would have to be less of a language person and have better & more knowledge of the exact subjects than the rudimentary it is in now :-)

Recommended for the reader who likes a book to think about, to c
Shannon Ewing
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
this book was awe inspiring.

the physics!
the math!
the philosophy!
the action!
the adventure!

the completely unnecessary and all too descriptive love scene? .... er not so much. I felt it out of place, and gratuitous. This story would have been just as awesome without it, or with more implication and less penetration. But it passed quickly, and i am still a little uncomfortable passing this on to my daughter. but the positives out weigh this small page and a half.

at times the writing wasn't stellar.
Jorge
Dec 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book which has a complex yet addictive storyline that you cannot stop read until you reach the end.

A man who seeks the truth behind the most powerful theories of Science which unveils the mysteries of the Holy Bible is a premise that allows you to think for yourself and do some math to, as the man, reach yourself a truth that lies between the lines of many books of the Holy Bible.

Although I didn't like the end, it was an all new experience which enriched my knowledge, my perceptio
Alec
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The Einstein Enigma is an easy to read fictional novel that contains a captivating storyline. The main character, Thomas Nornoha, is a cryptanalyst and historian that brings the reader along for a fast-paced mystery. During the novel, Thomas stumbles upon a quest for scientific evidence of God. While traveling the world in search for answers he gets caught up in other issues such as cultural differences, the Iranian nuclear plan, and the CIA. Jose Rodrigues dos Santos combines intriguing Western ...more
Attila
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very thought provoking book with deep conversations about important questions of our life and it's overall purpose. What was extremely interesting that all the pyshics theory the story built upon are real life theories. Another point which is worth to think through that the connection between relegion and science what is deeply discussed during the story.
On the other hand the storyline is well structured and contains enjoyable turns. There are many interesting characters in. The advent
Mouna Rhalimi
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read a book, I look for entertainment while learning something new. This book is as entertaining as Dan Brown's books, but surpass them in the value it added. It spoke about mathematics, philosophy, and religion, I learned a lot and I had to stop not once to reflect about what I've just read.
I think that this book is a food to the soul and mind, it gave me a new perspective, far away from the daily conflict I witness between pro-religion and anti-religion.
Jean-Michel Desire
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This is by far, and I stress BY FAR, the best book I have read ever. It was the first adventure of History professor Tomas Noronha that I read and I have hunt high and low for his other novels. You cannot afford not to read this book. Amazing story, amazing research, mind-boggling food for thought... and I'm at a loss for words!
Lisa Garrido
Feb 04, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-2020
This book was so bad, I couldn’t push myself to finish it or write a proper review! The topic had potential but it was poorly written... it seemed like a Wikipedia transcript stripped of all it's character.
Ahmed  El Bir
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great mariage between science and religon. The documentary aspect is strongly present which influences sometimes the rythm of actions in the book. However ittills a very interesting book .
Imene
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
thoses conversations between Tomàs and his father are epic 👌👌
Alexandre Pinhel
Great story and well structured along the book with many pikes to move to the next level.
Narimene
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
DNFed at 50%
It's jst all information (that i already knew) it was more of an encyclopedia and the caracters are poorly developed.
Jst wasnt for me
Turkana Allahverdiyeva
I have already finished "Codex 632", "A formula de Deus" and now I am reading "Last secret". When I was reading "A formula de Deus", I wanted to write my comments but then I waited to finish other books.
The analysis and facts are impressive in the "Last secret", I enjoyed reading and learnt a lot of things that I did not know before. But there is something that drew my attention in all three books "Codex 632", " A formula de deus" and "Last secret" that Jose somehow connects events with Israel,
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Lua de Joana
  • No teu deserto
  • Aparição
  • A Menina do Mar
  • Enquanto Salazar Dormia...
  • Madrugada Suja
  • Felizmente Há Luar!
  • Baltasar and Blimunda
  • Os Pilares da Terra, Volume II (Os Pilares da Terra, #1)
  • Os Pilares da Terra, Volume I
  • A Fada Oriana
  • Quando Lisboa Tremeu
  • O Guarda da Praia
  • Crónica dos Bons Malandros
  • The Last Pope (Vatican #1)
José Rodrigues dos Santos is the bestselling novelist in Portugal. He is the author of five essays and eight novels, including Portuguese blockbusters Codex 632, which sold 192 000 copies, The Einstein Enigma, 178 000 copies, The Seventh Seal, 190 000 copies, and The Wrath of God, 176 000 copies. His overall sales are above one million books, astonishing figures considering Portugal’s tiny market. ...more

Tomás Noronha (10 books)
  • Vaticanum
  • Sinal de Vida
  • Imortal

News & Interviews

“aujourd’hui. Nous, les scientifiques, nous sommes très concentrés sur l’étude de l’encre et du papier dont est
fait l’univers. Mais cette étude nous révèle-t-elle vraiment ce qu’est l’univers ? Ne nous faudrait-il pas l’étudier aussi sur un plan sémantique ? Ne devrions nous pas écouter sa musique et saisir sa poésie ? Dans l’observation de l’univers, ne sommes-nous pas focalisés sur le hardware, ignorant une dimension aussi importante que celle du software ?”
4 likes
“Vivemos a vida como se ela fosse eterna, como se a morte fosse algo que só acontece aos outros e apenas nos está reservada ao fim de muito tempo, tanto tempo que nem merece a pena pensarmos nisso.” 3 likes