Start by marking “El oro de los dioses” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
El oro de los dioses

Erich von Däniken

El oro de los dioses

Erich von Daniken, whose books have enthralled millions of readers around the world, now presents astonishing new confirmation for his revolutionary theories.Erich von Daniken's The Gold of the Gods unveils new evidence of an intergalactic "battle of the gods" whose losers retreated to, and settled, Earth. He explores a vast, mysterious underworld of Ecuador-caves filled w ...more
Published (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about El oro de los dioses, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of El oro de los dioses
M. Joseph Murphy
An interesting yet flawed read. While Daniken raises very interesting questions, the latter parts of this book veer off in to wild speculation that diminish the strength of earlier arguments.

Most of my inspiration for my own writing comes from writers like Daniken who point out the obvious holes in our current understanding of history. I'm seen enough evidence to know that alien life exists but you won't find much of that evidence here. Perhaps it is simply a matter of the book not holding up we
Michelle Tempted By Books
Outstanding evidence. I find the most intriguing aspect of these theories that they are quite old. My copy of this book is from 1973. I think we tend to believe that all "sightings" of UFO's come from more recent America and as American's we tend to believe we are the center of the Earth. As such we think that all sightings have happened around Area 51 and only since the advent of hand cameras. The truth is that there is evidence from possible "visitations" since the dawn of time. Long before mo ...more
Michael
This should have been entitled "The Gold of the Gullible," for that is what Mr von Däniken obtained, including my hoarded pocket money back when I believed.
J.T. Wilson
May 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Danïken raised eyebrows with his first book, 'Chariots of the Gods?', which married a sensational theory with evidence that didn't hold up to the slightest scrutiny. By the time of 'The Gold of the Gods', he'd already served time in jail for fraud (he embezzled money from his employers to fund his research) and was a best selling author derided for his ridiculous conspiracy theories. You know, like Dan Brown.

'Gold' has EVD in an odd position: he's well aware of his critics yet invites further sc
Evadeen
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read some of the comments by "readers" - Hello!!! He wrote this in the seventies and even went to prison for 2 years under highly mysterious circumstances at the time. We've come a long way since and many people have become more open-minded to controversial ideas. Okay, many people are also more closed-minded these days. I'm not fond of the translation errors and meagre answers to questions, but you can't argue away the ancient books he quotes and you can't call him conventional...
Chris
Feb 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as chariots but still interesting.
Rob
Nov 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ancient Aliens are easier to believe than Obama having been reelected. I like these books and Ancient Aliens also.
Felicia
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books by Mr Daniken. I love his books because he is easy to read. It doesn't get bogged up with too much technical stuff. He writes so that everyone can understand what he is saying.
If you want to feel convinced that Aliens were on Earth before us and created us, then read Mr. Daniken's books. He's very thought provoking but he also backs up his claims with a lot of real evidence. Not only in artifacts but also even using the bible!
He's a great writer. He is well worth the re
Scott
Nov 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a neat book that excited a lot of people in the 70's, including me. Yes, I enjoyed it and it excited my imagination, but I was a kid at the time. The problem I have with it now is it just seems kind of stupid.
Sonia Gomes
More on Gods from outer space, how I loved all those theories, such a long time ago......sigh
Andrew
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really got a kick out of this guy when I was a kid. Not only were his theories loads of fun, and kind of comically eccentric, but his frenzied enthusiasm was ridiculously charming.
P
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A follow-up to Chariots of the Gods. Food for thought.
Patty
Aug 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Space alien Gods! Loved it!
Thomas
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting stuff about ancient aliens.
Gil Pan Zastor
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Cory Plimo
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Almost impossibly true
Kakha
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always liked this book. Yes, I know that the author was criticized a lot, mostly unreasonably, because he does not claim, approve anything but speaks in his own way about what he saw many times and surely discussed many times in his mind. He speaks very interestingly, gives us a lot of facts and many reasons to think. And all this is extremely interesting. By the way, after all, a magnificent documentary was shot based on one of his bright books. So it’s very unfair to criticize such a person ...more
J.W. Bowe
Eric von Daniken looked to the stars in his earlier books ... now he's down in the caves around Ecuador and still sure he's onto something. You probably already know where you stand with von, and whatever your opinion is, it's probably fair enough, but he's in good humour throughout this.
Monica Silva
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: monica
It's amazing how much of our own planet we know nothing of. Glad this author traveled to these places and shared it with us.
Edwin Lowe
Evidence of Ancient Astronauts in Earth's Prehistoric Past!!!!

Review Written February 27, 2019

Book Review "The Gold of the Gods".

In 1968, the best-selling "Chariots of the Gods?" unveiled the theory of extraterrestrial influences on early human culture. Its author, Erich Von Däniken is one of the main figures responsible for popularizing the theory of extraterrestrial "paleo-contact" or that "ancient astronauts" visited Earth in the prehistoric past and influenced early human culture.

Von Dänik
David Carr
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the beginning of this book. The rest is good but it has a great start.
Nigel S.
Jun 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
...big von Däniken moves include asking nonsensical questions ("Do the circles indicate the number of space travelers buried inside the pyramid?") but not answering them, just making stuff up (you won't believe all the amazing shit he saw but wasn't allowed to take pictures of), and, my favorite, a little something I like to call "Von Däniken Non Sequitur Logic", where one real fact somehow proves a completely unrelated, made-up fact.

Full review here:
Daniel Beliveau
Feb 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible! Worse than the last one. All he does is ask questions and draw conclusions with no evidence. As one reviewer said, "You wouldn't believe the things he couldn't take pictures of!" While I am willing to consider his hypothesis as valid, I'll defer to other authors (Zacharia Sitchin) who provide realistic explainations and conslusions - even if all of this is nonsense.
Dorothy
Nov 09, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Pure fiction written as if it were a valid scientific theory. Entertaining in its fashion as long as you realize that it is just a collection of fantastical explanations for human events that can be more readily and logically explained by archaeology.
Alex
Sep 29, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: commercial-lie
This sample of lie selling turns out to be boring and insulting reader's intellect starting right from the first paragraphs. I had expected that it would be all lies, but was curious about the art of lying in it. I found not much of that up to the point I stopped wasting my time.
Paul
Feb 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fortean
Follow up to Chariots of the Gods. As a kid I found these quite fascinating, being caught up with the whole "Battlestar Galactica" man came from outer space vibe. But there's more holes than a colander in the arguments. Nice try but no cigar.
Walter
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually like his books, even though I don't follow his beliefs. But with this...I've read better von Daniken. This book is a bunch of assumptions without even trying to explain how he came to the conclusion.
Tony
Jun 06, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
More fiction from the big Swiss con man of pseudoarchaeology.
Farhad
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was even worse than the Chariots of the Gods!
Derek James Baldwin
More of the Chariots Of The Gods stuff... nothing wrong with that necessarily but by the time he wrote this one he had come to believe his own hype a bit too much!

• The Ancient Alien Question: A New Inquiry Into the Existence, Evidence, and Influence of Ancient Visitors
  • Prometheus Bound
  • The Missing Piece Meets the Big O
  • Philosophy for Beginners
  • The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana
  • Introducing Aristotle: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Filosofía Siglo XXI para Principiantes
  • Introducing Marxism: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Rousseau
  • Introducing Political Philosophy: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Mythology
  • Filosofia griega para principiantes
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • The Secret Societies Bible: The Definitive Guide to Mysterious Organizations
  • Eyewitness to the Gods: What I Kept Secret for Decades
  • Barbarian's Choice (Ice Planet Barbarians, #11)
  • Barbarian's Hope (Ice Planet Barbarians, #10)
  • Churchill
Born on April 14th, 1935, in Zofingen, Switzerland, Erich von Däniken was educated at the College St-Michel in Fribourg, where already as a student he occupied his time with the study of the ancient holy writings. While managing director of a Swiss hotel, he wrote his first book, Chariots of the Gods, which was an immediate bestseller in the United States, Germany, and later in 38 other countries. ...more

News & Interviews

“آیا این قدر سخت و شرم آور است عقایدی که فردا دیگر اعتباری نخواهند داشت را از امروز به دور اندازیم؟” 2 likes