Start by marking “61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14)” as Want to Read:
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14)

61 Hours

(Jack Reacher #14)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  63,749 ratings  ·  3,754 reviews
Jack Reacher is back.
The countdown has begun. Get ready for the most exciting 61 hours of your life. #1 "New York Times" bestselling author Lee Child's latest thriller is a ticking time bomb of suspense that builds electric tension on every page.
Sixty-one hours. Not a minute to spare.
A tour bus crashes in a savage snowstorm and lands Jack Reacher in the middle of a dead
Published May 18th 2010 by Delacorte Press (first published March 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 61 Hours, please sign up.
Roger Loomis
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Gregory Drake
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  63,749 ratings  ·  3,754 reviews

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I'm going with 3.5 stars on this one. There's only one reason I can't nudge it up to 4 stars, which I'll explain at the end of the review (with plenty of advance warning.)

Jack Reacher novels fall into two categories. One is the big city, ABO, non-stop action, heavy violence thriller such as Gone Tomorrow. The other is the small town, slower-paced, watching and waiting type---more mystery than thriller. 61 Hours is in the second category, although it does get pretty exciting later on. I'm cool wi
Ahmad Sharabiani
61 Hours (Jack Reacher, #14), Lee Child
61 Hours is the fourteenth book in the Jack Reacher series written by Lee Child.It is written in the third person, and first published on 18 March 2010. Set in the town of Bolton, South Dakota, Reacher begins his latest adventure on a wrecked senior citizen tour bus after a near-miss with another motorist leaves the bus spinning on the icy road and trapped in a snowy bank. Immersed in a frozen landscape, Reacher works with local law enforcement to help the
Anish Kohli
Nov 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
He called out, ‘Do you think you can beat me?’
Reacher called back, ‘Do you think bears shit in the woods?’
Want a straight forward read? Small crisp sentences? Great details? Some ass kicking? Deadpan humor? Riveting storyline and yet easy to put down? A book to work as a filler before you pick the next big series or a tome? Or a book that won’t require the complete attention of your faculties? A kickass lead? Cold hard calculations? Things going boom?

Well, look no further! Lee Child is her
Alp
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Another unputdownable read by Lee Child.

As usual, this one didn't disappoint. I liked how suspenseful and gripping the story was. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this installment, the real page-turner, from start to finish.

My only minor complaint is that the action scene near the end of the book lacked a bit of excitement and intensity. I was just expecting something a little more action-packed and heart-pounding.

Nevertheless, it was a good and engaging read with a clever plot. If you’re
J.D.
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had to laugh. Those of us in the thriller game talk about building suspense with the "ticking clock": a hard deadline that the characters are up against. If they don't make it, all is lost. So what does Lee Child do? He imbeds an almost literal ticking clock in every chapter, ending each one with the reminder that there are "X hours to go." It's such an obvious device that it's like the magician showing you how the trick is done, but it still works-- you still gasp and chuckle with delight as ...more
J.D. Barker
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've been reading them out of order but I gotta admit, I can't get enough of these Jack Reacher novels. The writing is tight, the plots are great, and pacing is dead on. Lee, if I send you a case of energy drinks and a lifetime supply of cigarettes, any chance you can kick it up to two novels a year?
Mandy
(Disclaimer: This review is written by someone who is a huge Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan. I will try and not let the bias creep in too much. Having said that, this book did not disappoint and I dare you to read it and find otherwise.)

The clock is ticking....61 hours….enough time for Reacher to become fully embroiled in another action-packed adventure….you betcha!

61 Hours is Lee Child’s latest book, the 14th for the Jack Reacher series. Reacher is an ex-military police officer who doesn’t really c
Adam
After reading 61 Hours, I'm left with one burning question. Does Jack Reacher ever brush his teeth?

Lee Child goes into a lot of detail about how his hulking protagonist drifts around the United States with literally no possessions -- not even a backpack -- and how he buys a new set of clothes every week and throws away the old set. But does he ever brush his teeth? Does he bathe? Does he shave? If he doesn't shave, does he have a beard? He's not described with one.

If Child were more vague about
Megan Baxter
Nov 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Let's get this straight - this isn't deep. It's not literary. But when I wanted a light read at my in-laws over Christmas, this was just about perfect. It's not taxing, but neither is it the incredibly short chapters and no-mystery-at-all of a James Patterson book. In fact, Child pulled off the difficult trick of making me think that my first instinct about the bad guy was wrong, and then having it be true after all. That's a good move - the staple of J.K. Rowling, when it came to Snape.

Note: T
Fred
Feb 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: html-img, thriller
NYT Best Seller #1 - June 06, 2010

Jack Reacher Poster

In Bolton, South Dakota, 5 minutes to 3:00 PM. “Exactly 61 hours before It happened”. A lawyer drove into a empty prison lot, with “fat lazy flakes” coming from a snowstorm 60 miles away. ( 61 hours - is the title of the book)

Jack Reacher (the famous drifter & ex-military policeman) is traveling on a “Bus” stranded on a icy hill after almost being hit by a car & helps the people in the Bus escape/survive. The busy Town, it’s lar
Richard Hunt
Dec 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
I have been a big Lee Child fan over the past few years. However in my opinion this was the slowest most painful reading experience i have had in a very long time. The Reacher character is becoming tired and book after book the author seems to be rewriting the back story so that once you have heard his history once you will see it in every book. This is a plausible point, as not everyone will read all of the Jack Reacher books and they need to learn about the protagonist.
However in 61 Hours you
Amy
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was bitterly disappointed in this book. Bitter, because I am a huge Jack Reacher fan and have never been as disappointed in one of his books as I was in this one.

First, the setting. I found the cold interesting at first, because I've never been in such extreme cold before... until I realized that the author was going to go on, and on, and on about it. Each minute Reacher was colder than the previous minute. And we knew this because we were told it in almost every paragraph. Every description w
Lewis Weinstein
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great Reacher story. That's really all you need to know. Sit back, hold on, and enjoy the ride.
Jane Stewart
Not enough action. Reacher did some unsmart things. Incomplete ending. But, because I like hanging out with Reacher it was ok.

STORY BRIEF:
Reacher is on a bus. Due to winter weather he is stranded in Bolton, S. Dakota. Local police are guarding an elderly woman who witnessed a drug deal. Reacher decides to help protect her.

A biker gang has been living near Bolton in an abandoned army compound. The police believe they have been selling drugs (meth). The biker gang works for Plato, a Mexican drug l
Ed
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Let the countdown begin! Jack Reacher, what can I say? He's the hard-nosed homeboy you want to get your back. Even in the middle of the winter in the middle of the wilds of South Dakota, he can outwit a meth kingpin and come out smelling like roses. The dialogue here strikes me as snappier than usual. This time out he also sparks a long-distance romance with the current commander of his old crack MP outfit. We also learn a lot of personal details on Jack's background. Is this also covered in the ...more
Book Addict Shaun
61 Hours might be one of my least favourites in the series so far, but it was still an enjoyable read the ending saved the story for me. Once again Jack Reacher finds himself on a bus heading through the middle of nowhere. This time it’s South Dakota where the temperature outside is below freezing, and the bus he has hitched a ride on almost crashes. When help arrives from the local town, Reacher heads straight on in to his latest shitstorm.

After fourteen novels Lee Child still writes a grippin
Robin Webster
Aug 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
61 Hours is the first book I have read by Lee Child. All his books feature the all action hero Jack Reacher who was drummed out of a military elite unit some years before and now seems to live a rootless existence, moving from place to place getting involved in all kinds of situations. This book finds him stranded in a small town in South Dakota in mid-winter, after the bus he is travelling on crashes on an icy road. He then gets drawn into trying to protect a vulnerable witness from being murde ...more
Maddy
May 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
PROTAGONIST: Jack Reacher
SETTING: South Dakota
SERIES: #14 of 14
RATING: 3.5

In the fourteenth book of the Jack Reacher series, our peripatetic adventurer finds himself on a bus filled with senior citizens that has just slid into a ditch in snowy South Dakota. It will be a few days before a replacement bus will be able to continue their journey, so everyone on the bus is taken into the homes of the inhabitants of Bolton, SD. As you might expect, Reacher is not spending his time counting the cows d
Alexia561
Sep 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I've read every Lee Child book there is and adore Jack Reacher. You have to feel for the guy, as he just wants to keep his head down, stay out of trouble, and keep moving. Yet he keeps getting pulled into situations where he has no choice but to help strangers, as he can't walk away from doing the right thing. That's why I love Reacher, as he's one of the good guys.

This is another great Reacher book and if you've enjoyed the others, I'm pretty sure you'll like this one as well. The only thing I
Laurie
May 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love the Reacher man, although this one may have given me chilblains. Do not start this book unless you have a warm blanket to hand. Brrr!
Jim
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
This is the latest of the Jack Reacher series of crime/mystery thrillers and the first that I have read.

Lee Child has a sparse, easy style that moves along nicely. This, and the others I have read , gets a 4-star rating, because to get five stars a novel has to be "great" in the way that enduring literature is great (a feat that is rare in the genre).

As thrillers go (I've read a handful of Ludlums and Clancy's Hunt for Red October) 61 Hours is near the top - with some nifty plot twists and who
Michelle♥
James Thane
Oct 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Busses always seem to be dropping Jack Reacher off in the oddest of places where, inevitably, trouble is brewing.

In this case, Jack has hitched a ride on a tour bus filled with elderly folks who, for whatever insane reason, have decided to visit scenic South Dakota in the middle of winter. The bus hits an icy patch and skids off the road leaving Jack and the other passengers stranded out in the middle of nowhere in Bolton, South Dakota, a tiny town with huge problems.

A pint-sized Mexican drug lo
Christine Biggs
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Sadra Khalaf
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well, this is the 2nd book from Jack Reacher series who deserves a 5 star rating.
The book started with suspense and continued it very well.
It had some twists and a big surprise and ended with a cliffhanger. It's the first book in the Reacher series that the ending is related to the next book.
Set in the town of Bolton, South Dakota, Jack Reacher survived a crash on a wrecked senior citizen tour bus miss with another vehicle and because of the bad weather, he forced to stay in town and help the lo
Dewey
Dec 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lee Child at his best. Jack Reacher is stranded in a small South Dakota town due to a snowstorm and as usual manages to find his help is needed. A little old lady witness to a drug deal is being protected from being killed by a Mexican drug lord is the basis of the novel. Jack assists the local Police Department protecting her and investigating the usual murders that seek out Reacher. This is one of my favorite Jack Reacher novels. The pacing was good, high suspense, some surprises. Loved it.
Dorothy
Continuing with my Summer of Reading Mysteries, I picked up a Jack Reacher novel. As one who is dedicated to reading series books in order, I thought I was doing that, reading the fourth book in the series. Turns out this is actually the fourteenth book. Oops!

Oh, well. It didn't really seem to matter. The plot of this one did not depend on having read previous books. In fact, Lee Child managed to reprise information about Reacher's past and why he's on the road as a part of the plot, so no harm,
Michael crage
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Another great Jack Reacher book. In this one, Reacher has hitched a ride on a tour bus which crashes in a severe snow storm. They end up in Bolton, South Dakota. This is a prison town and the motels ae always full, so the people from the tour bus end up being put with members of the community. There is known to be an assassin coming into the town to kill a person who witnessed a drug sale and is willing to testify. Reacher ends up staying with her to help provide protection.
Ken
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My introduction to the Jack Reacher series, picked it up on a whim and was instantly hooked!
61 Hours - Is Jack Reacher Dead? 60 870 Mar 05, 2017 03:00AM
Can i start from any book? 13 110 Jan 12, 2017 04:47PM
Reacher was in Korea? 5 51 Apr 18, 2014 06:23AM

• Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The First Rule (Elvis Cole, #13; Joe Pike, #2)
  • I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger, #6)
  • A Knife Edge (Vin Cooper, #2)
  • Aggressor (Nick Stone, #8)
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • The Burning Wire (Lincoln Rhyme, #9)
  • Rules of Betrayal (Jonathan Ransom, #3)
  • Storm Prey (Lucas Davenport, #20)
Lee Child was born October 29th, 1954 in Coventry, England, but spent his formative years in the nearby city of Birmingham. By coincidence he won a scholarship to the same high school that JRR Tolkien had attended. He went to law school in Sheffield, England, and after part-time work in the theater he joined Granada Television in Manchester for what turned out to be an eighteen-year career as a pr ...more

Jack Reacher (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Killing Floor (Jack Reacher, #1)
  • Die Trying (Jack Reacher, #2)
  • Tripwire  (Jack Reacher, #3)
  • Running Blind (Jack Reacher, #4)
  • Echo Burning (Jack Reacher, #5)
  • Without Fail (Jack Reacher, #6)
  • Persuader (Jack Reacher, #7)
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • One Shot (Jack Reacher, #9)
  • The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10)
“I don't want to put the world to rights... I just don't like people who put the world to wrongs.” 1194 likes
“Never forgive, never forget. Do it once and do it right. You reap what you sow. Plans go to hell as soon as the first shot is fired. Protect and serve. Never off duty.” 127 likes