Start by marking “Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)

Warbreaker

(Warbreaker #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  80,799 Ratings  ·  5,701 Reviews
This is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses. Theirs is a world in which those who die in glory return as gods to live confined to a pantheon in Hallandren's capital city. A world transformed by a power based on an essence known as breath. Using magic is arduous as breath can only be collected one unit at a time.
Mass Market Paperback, 676 pages
Published April 2010 by Tor Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Warbreaker, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caleb E Durrant
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
AHHH
WHAT JUST
I need the next book. Now. And I don't have it. What do I do!?
Petrik
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: high fantasy fans
Shelves: physical-books
4.5/5 Stars

Amazing Buddy read with these ladies:
Sister from another mother Sarah
Innocent Queen Celeste
Lovely Princess Mary
and everyone from Fantasy Buddy Reads group!

First things first, Warbreaker is the first book by Brandon Sanderson I read which aren't from the Mistborn series and while it doesn't live up to the greatness of the original Mistborn trilogy for me, this is still a really great read. Sanderson haven't disappoint me so far and I don't think he ever will, at least in his Cosmere wo
Katerina
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads, fantasy
A man cannot claim to be a fantasy fan if a man hasn't read Brandon Sanderson at least once in his lifetime.
“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

I feel like I was dormant Before. An inanimate object patiently awaiting, until Brandon Sanderson infused my molecules with Breath, until he Awakened me and gave me senses, feelings, purpose. Ever since I finished Warbreaker, my mind floats and wanders around Cosmere, and I can't seem to find the courage nor the will to come back.
It's unsettling
☽Luna☾
"My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

Buddy read with my homies at fantasy buddy reads & some of my favorite people;
1. Mary
2. Patty
3.Celeste
4.Choko

HOLY SHIT

SLAP MY ASS AND CALL ME SUE! WHAT IN GODS NAME DID I JUST READ?! ILL TELL YOU WHAT, A FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

description

“Every man is a hero of his own story."

This book was absolutely mind blowing good, it took my breath away & now I'm a drab, I am once again at a loss for words after another Sanderson book. Seriously how does he
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I've been had.

I'm simultaneously impressed and infuriated by this knowledge.

It's not that I consider myself to be exceptionally smart so that nothing ever gets by me, or that I'm super sneaky and thus able to suss out super sneakiness in others, but you know how it is: when you've read enough books, you become cynical.

If a character does even a single eyebrow-raising thing, you've got their number. Anything that qualifies as "questionable" behavior a suspect makes.

Take
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 I always have a hard time reviewing Brandon Sanderson's books. As always the world building and the magic system is what makes this book amazing. I really liked the story and the twist I didn't see coming.

I would totally recommend this books and cannot wait for the sequel since the title is the name of one of my favorite character... a talking sword :P
Samantha
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not on the same level for me as Mistborn but I do have a feeling that I'll appreciate this one even more as time goes on and I'm looking forward to discussing it more in detail during with my gush video!
Bibi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**Spoilers**

One advice. Do read Warbreaker prior to reading the Mistborn Trilogy Boxed Set .

In the past 72 hrs, I've read in excess of 2600 pages of words written by Sanderson and let me tell you, it's been an immersion of epic proportion. This author is one level above genius. His words, the world building, the characters, and the pace. Brilliant.

I digress.

Once I finished the Mistborn trilogy, I dove into Warbreaker anticipating an equally exhilarating experience.

Unlike the Mistborn series, War
Cait • A Page with a View
THAT WAS INCREDIBLE. I can't believe I've been staring at this book on my shelf for years but just got to it now. What have I been doing with my life?!

There's no way to summarize this or even begin to do the brilliant worldbuilding justice, I'm so sorry. It had easily one of the most creative, fascinating systems of magic I've ever found (well, I don't know if it's technically magic buuut we're going to group it under that label). I never once thought the dense history or technical stuff was at
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
"It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison."

Warbreaker is one of those books that I will think back on and say "Wow that was a really well balanced fantasy novel." And by well balanced I mean that everything was in perfect proportion. The number of perspectives, the intricacy of the plot, the pace of action, everything was just perfectly well written.

I want to take a moment and explain a small thing about myself and why this book, as well as Sanderson's
Hasham Rasool
"My life is yours. My Breath become yours."

Brandon Sanderson has wonderful ideas of magical powers system, belief and political.

WOW, WOW, WOW!
This is a very different kind of fantasy book.

This is an unusual Sanderson's book. I feel this book completed adult version.

'Warbreaker' genres are mystery, magic and the politics of divinity.

Lots of characters are stupendous! My favourite characters are Lightsong the Bold, Llarimar, Nightblood, Vasher, Siri, Susebron and Vivenna but Lightsong the Bold is
Jody
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Cosmere. Brandon Sanderson needs to get busy writing the sequel to Warbreaker. I really need to know what happens next ASAP.

OK! To be honest, I was a little skeptical of Warbreaker for about the first 100 pages. This has to be the slowest beginning to any Sanderson book I have read to date. Once the politics and characters personalities starting taking shape I got more invested, but was still searching for that WOW factor I always feel in Sanderson's works. Well, it
Gavin
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book and
Deborah Obida
“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

This book blew me away, I love everything about it from the very first page to the last one. I was neither bored nor annoyed by any of the characters, I love them all, I don't even hate the villains, they are just to wise but I love how things ended for everyone despite their loss, it was worth the gain.

This book has a very complex but simple magic system that I love so much, the magic use colour and breath, if you are familiar with Sanderson then you
Markus
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, fantasy, cosmere

“You should watch yourself, child,” he whispered. “Not all here in the palace is as it seems.”

Siri and Vivenna are princesses of the mountain kingdom of Idris, a minor power whose very existence is threatened by invasion from the Kingdom of the Iridescent Tones. And so, to avoid war, one of them must leave her home to marry the God King of Hallandren, a man reputed to be a monster.

Read a book by Brandon Sanderson, and certain things are guaranteed to appear. An innovative magic system f
Robin (Bridge Four)
What is better than Pi day (3.14)? A Warbreaker reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day with my felllow Sandersonitis friends at Fantasy Buddy Reads

This is a private group. Let me know if you need an invite.

What made this book Awesome all over again? Two Characters Vasher and Nightblood!!!
Would you like to destroy some evil today?

Original Review Jun 2014:

4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include
- Bleary eyes from reading too long or staying up too lat
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

Wow! Another spellbinding, mind blowing, fast talking, action packed Sanderson hit! I have gotten so used to his brilliance already that it doesn't surprise me anymore - I have come to expect it from him and wonder if he will ever write something that lets my high expectations down... Well, not this time, that is for sure!

I love the universe Sanderson has created for the majority of his Fantasy, of which this world is a part of. This time the magic system depends on the human "breath" ,
Tessy Nightblood Ijachi
Colours were just colours until I read this book. After reading this, it is pretty much obvious that Sanderson is a much bigger genius than Einstein ever was. I wonder where he gets his ideas from, did he look at a paint set one day and then came up with Biochroma? I guess we'll never know.
Turns out that I can't marry a book, unfortunately.

”My life to yours, My breath become yours.”

I enjoyed reading this very much, the characters were spot on, plot was intriguing and most importantly the magic
J.L.   Sutton
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
In Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson gives readers imaginative epic fantasy world-building along with a good story (what one generally comes to expect from Sanderson and which he consistently delivers on). I enjoyed the story of the two heroines, Vivenna and Siri. In the face of impending war with Hallendron, they are forced to take on new and unexpected roles, both for their own survival, as well as the survival of their kingdom. While I enjoyed Warbreaker, the middle suffered a bit. After Sanderso ...more
Haïfa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
*** Revamped, spoiler-free review ***

What a colorful world Brandon Sanderson crafted in Warbreaker!

This is seemingly the tale of two radically different sisters. Vivenna, the oldest of her siblings is traditional, poised and raised to be the perfect bride to the powerful and fearsome God King, in order to maintain peace between their two kingdoms. And then, there is Siri, the youngest princess, bold, rebellious, curious, full of life and "unimportant". Their lives are turned upside down when th
Liam Degnan
Aug 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy

“What I'm trying to say is that you don't understand a man until you understand what makes him do what he does. Every man is a hero of his own story.”

4.5 Stars: ✰✰✰✰

This book left me just as impressed as it did the first time. It's interesting, because this book is so completely different from any other of Brandon's books that I can think of, and rereading it two years later (now with all of the other Cosmere books in my brain) I picked up on a lot of things that I didn't understand the fi
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Warbreaker's 2017 Cosmere Reread before Oathbringer is DONE! Colours that was as awesome as ever! There are still so many secrets!!! I love this book! One more exclamation! :D
------------------------------------------------

“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”
Warbreaker is the story of two very different sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying to undo the mistakes he made
Warda
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SANDERSON, YOU FUCKIN' GENIUS! *sobs* I can't review this book. I refuse to! How in gods earth do I form coherent sentences when my mind has been obliterated into pieces?! I'm in damn awe! My emotions are in a state of frenzy! If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon that is Brandon Sanderson, you haven't lived. Over and out.
Samir
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brandon Sanderson is for many, one of the best fantasy writers and his books are listed among almost any top ten fantasy book list and I always thought my first Sanderson book would be The Way of Kings or The Final Empire but somehow Warbreaker ended up to be my first foray into the mind of Sanderson.

Depending on the writing some books need more time to get in to. This is not that kind of book. Prologue features a mysterious character on an assassination mission wielding a badass sword with a mi
Celeste
Full review now posted below!

This was my first buddy-read with royalty: Lady Luna, Marquess Mary, and Prince Petrik. Love you guys!

I feel sated. I had high hopes for Warbreaker, and those hopes were far surpassed. I cannot comprehend the mind of Brandon Sanderson. How does he come up with such complex magic systems, layered religions, and multifaceted characters? Not just once, but multiple times in multiple different universes? I know that they’re all part of the same Cosmere, and I can’t wait
Felicia
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in
Scott  Hitchcock
I think everybody has read Sanderson at this point so I don't know what to offer other than this has all of his hallmarks. Compelling characters, good storyline, distinct magic system, ties into the Cosmere......check, check, check....

Hopefully we'll see book two at some point.
Stefan Bach
Full review now updated.

In honor of WeRateDogs one year anniversary:
"This... is Sanderson's good book. We only rate bad Sanderson. Please send bad Sanderson. Thank you. 12/10"

No, it's actually more like 2.66.

description

In pretty much uneven and yawn enticing plot-wise book lies a hidden gem called Lightsong.
To me, he is the most interesting character Sanderson created in his entire Cosmere Universe.
For 60-70% of this book, that is.
Later, as predictable, he suffered from author’s inability to
Iryna semi-hiatus (Book and Sword)
4.5/5 stars

"Protect a flower, destroy pests who wanted to feed on it. Protect a building, destroy the plants that could have grown in the soil. Protect a man. Live with the destruction he creates.”

The problem with reading Brandon Sanderson is that after you want to read more Brandon Sanderson. I've tried reading two books after, but nothing just holds up.

If there ever was a book that played me for a fool - this is it. I spent 60 percent of the book rooting for the wrong guy and hating a very de
Lucía
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No puedo superar lo abrupto que fue el epilogo xD.
  • Avempartha (The Riyria Revelations, #2)
  • The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, #14)
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3)
  • The Charnel Prince (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #2)
  • Academ's Fury (Codex Alera, #2)
  • The Price of Spring (Long Price Quartet, #4)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Warbreaker (2 books)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)
“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 704 likes
“I swear, my dear. Sometimes our conversations remind me of a broken sword."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Sharp as hell," Lightsong said, "but lacking a point.”
412 likes