Start by marking “The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some” as Want to Read:
The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some

The Runner's Rule Book: Everything a Runner Needs to Know - And Then Some

Every sport has rules. Running is no exception. If you're curious, just visit the Web site of USA Track & Field, the sport's governing body, where you'll find detailed dictates on everything from disqualification to bib-number placement to the caliber of the starter's pistol.

But what about the everyday rules of running? The unspoken ones that pertain to the lingo, beha
Published October 13th 2009 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about The Runner's Rule Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Runner's Rule Book

Gus Sanchez
Jul 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Meh. Not even sure why I read this, considering I'm as much as runner as Paris Hilton is a Rhodes Scholar. Amusing at times, but I'm still wondering why I read this. I'm harboring some idiotic fantasy about running a marathon someday; this book kind of threw cold water at that fantasy.
Beth Adams-brooking
Anyone who is a runner, or even just thought about becoming a runner, should give this book a read!
Johnno
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Listened to this book while running. It answers some of the running questions I'm sure we all have thought about, but were not always keen on discussing. It strikes a good balance: it has just the right level of sillyness and bad jokes. Often I find myself somewhat annoyed by commentary in books and I believe this book has stayed on the correct side - although I can see where others come from when they disagree. Overall a short and fun read (or listen), so I would suggest any runner just to try ...more
Amy
Mar 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick fun read for any runner!
Rupinder Sayal
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A hilarious book on running, filled with tips, advice, and a lot of common-sensical things runners should and shouldn’t do. This book is a breeze to read, and very fun and funny.
Daniel Solera
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: athletics
Mark Remy is the executive editor of Runner's World magazine, which means he definitely knows his stuff. However, if you're searching for a comprehensive manual on running, The Runner's Rule Book is not that. Instead, it is a fun and funny series of "rules" that come with running as a noun (or as he technically notes, a gerund), as a lifestyle.

I read this book in under an hour. Each rule takes up one or two pages and is often no longer than two paragraphs. Some range from serious (Rule 1.14: Run
Kirk Gipson
Jan 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Great short little read mixing humor and real tips for being a runner and participating in races. Don't expect too much substance...this one takes about an hour to devour.
Trish Colacicco
Feb 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Damn that was funny.
A
Jan 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Quick tongue and cheek list of rules to help new runners. I was put off a bit by the continuous mentioning of Runner's World and excessively using 'he' in examples.
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
A wonderful piece of fluff. Among the gems: "For Pete's sake, stand still at red lights". Most of all, a reminder not to take yourself too seriously, this is supposed to be fun.
It's slightly dated, was written at a time when a tweet was something you had to call a "tweet" and phones on runs weren't as common. Wonder if he's still anti phone. But holds up well
Josh Morgan
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a fun read with a few good laughs, but nothing life changing. I was familiar with Remy's style from RW articles, which is what made me pick the book up in the first place. He's a lighthearted writer with a firm grasp on his audience. Great for poolside reading, or if you're just getting into running.
Dave
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Funny, very easy to read and makes me remember how much I love running
Stewart
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Tries too hard to be funny and is at best mildly amusing.
Anastasia Sidorova
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sport
Nice and short book on running rules. Not the serious manual how to run faster, but just fun and humorous! Most rules are just common sense, however some new runner could find it very helpful.
Aurora
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Kinda dad-jokey.
Janet
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun little book about
Runners and running with fun
Little tips to help.
Angela
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health-fitness
Entertaining read that I finished in one sitting. A lot of great nuggets that educate and motivate.
Francisco Alvarez
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The most funny running book I have ever had the pleasure of reading. 5 stars.
Jen
May 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Full of lingo and etiquette-I absolutely recommend this book to any runner...if you are new to running, you will learn a lot, if you are experienced, it will make you belly laugh. Though a bit silly at times, Mark Remy cracks me up! It inspired me to read "Once A Runner" (OAR) by Quentin Cassidy and "Daniels Running Formula" by none other than Jack Daniels, two books he strongly recommends. Oh and I liked learning how to do a proper "farmer's blow", what "Fartlek" means (Swedish for "speed play" ...more
Beth
Oct 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I made the mistake of reading this book in bed. The problem? This book is laugh-out-loud funny and my poor husband was trying to sleep! Luckily he forgave me when he picked up the book the next day and conceded that it was really very funny stuff. (Then he gave in and read the rest of the book for himself!)

As a newbie to the sport, I did learn just a few things reading this book -- mostly about using common sense, not taking yourself too seriously, and having fun. I definitely recommend this qui
Joe Johnson
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A short and humorous look at some of the "rules" that every runner knows or should know. Granted some of the rules are just the author's opinions, but I like this book because it encapsulates a lot of the wisdom (for lack of a better word) that an experienced runner accumulates over the years. If you're a runner, I think you'll find it an enjoyable book to read and perhaps re-read every couple of years.
Kate
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: running
Finished this book in a day. It is by no means a book for beginning runner's seeking serious training advice. It does contain some common sense/etiquette, but not the book you should be looking to for an idea of how to start.
This book is mean to be a funny, light read and it succeeds in doing just that. Can't tell you how many times I chuckled to myself while tearing through this book (read it in less than a day).
Jeanne
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Runners Mostly, but there is good information for anyone
Recommended to Jeanne by: Ryan Marquardt
I loved this book. Ryan checked it out from the library about a year ago, but then when he ran the Boston Marathon in April 2011, Mark Remy was at the Runner's expo signing copies of the book so we bought it. And, I got around to it now, and I even for a beginner-off and on runner like me I think this book was informational. But, it wasn't just a dry etiquette book, Mark Remy presented it in an interesting, and sometimes even humorous manner.
Trevor Ralls
Jan 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Basically this is a simple (as in "simpleton"), extended Runners World article; and poorly-written at that. Received it as a gift and blasted through the "rules" in a day. I guess I was looking for more meat to the rules but ended up giving the author a token and forced "ha-ha" page after page. Really it boils down to trying to put rules behind something that really can't have too many rules, because running is straightforward in execution but deep and complex in experience.
Garrett Burnett
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Meant to be read in snippets, this slim book contains thoughts, ideas, and tongue-in-cheek "rules" for runners and about running. If you don't care about running and have no interest in signing up for a race, you'll likely have no interest in this book. If you do sign up for a race, however, don't get beat by the guy in the costume.
Dave
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not as funny as the book Ultimate: The Greatest Sport Ever Invented By Man, but in the same vein. It did make me smile a few times. It made me want to run. It was a quick read and it has diagrams of the farmer's blow. Just fine for beginning runners and for runners who have been at it for years. I think I should go run now.
Henrita
May 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
A light-hearted, fun read. Being a runner myself, this book contains some of the little things runners should now and the "unwritten" rules/etiquette that may be helpful if you are a newbie to the sport. Basically, it's common sense written with a little humor to keep it interesting. Happy running - and don't be too serious out there!
Meredith
Oct 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great combination of actual practical advice and funny stuff. SHort snippets are perfect for my life right now. Things like: "Acknowledge your fellow runner but be cool about it." I used to run in Minnesota, where runners actually say hello, but now, in Maryland, people are too cool for that. Heh. THis was a good little read to get psyched for my first 5K since kids.
Martin
Jul 25, 2011 added it
Quite a hilarious - and often very clever - tongue-in-cheek compendium of the minutiae that is the running lifestyle. I saw my own humor-style in several snippets of the writing. Every runner seems to now own this book. The format is highly adaptable for other niche activities and has actually given me some good ideas...
Celeste
Feb 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, running-related
I bought this book on a whim. I'd read excerpts of it in Runner's World, and I thought "what the heck" and clicked it.

It was cute and a fast little read since it was little tid bits and charts and diagrams. I laughed a little. I'll probably loan it to a runner friend of mine.

It wasn't life altering, but it was a fun read. I really enjoyed it.

• Going Long: Legends, Oddballs, Comebacks & Adventures
  • Kara Goucher's Running for Women: From First Steps to Marathons
  • Natural Running: The Simple Path to Stronger, Healthier Running
  • Strides: Running Through History with an Unlikely Athlete
  • The Four-Minute Mile
  • Runner's World Performance Nutrition for Runners: How to Fuel Your Body for Stronger Workouts, Faster Recovery, and Your Best Race Times Ever
  • Marathon: You Can Do It!
  • The Courage To Start: A Guide To Running for Your Life
  • My Life on the Run: The Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon
  • Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster
  • The Competitive Runner's Handbook
  • 50/50: Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days -- And How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!
  • To Be a Runner: How Racing Up Mountains, Running with the Bulls, or Just Taking On a 5-K Makes You a Better Person (and the World a Better Place)
  • Kings of the Road: How Frank Shorter, Bill Rodgers, and Alberto Salazar Made Running Go Boom
  • Running Anatomy
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Running
  • I Run, Therefore I Am--Nuts!
  • The Runner's Literary Companion: Great Stories and Poems About Running