Start by marking “Avengers: Standoff” as Want to Read:
Avengers: Standoff

Avengers: Standoff (Avengers, Volume III)

Thor has answered the Avengers' call to action from day one, but the God of Thunder has an even higher responsibility: to his worshippers. But not everyone's in favour of divine intervention, and it's Iron Man's job to get the god out with Captain America playing referee between two of the world's biggest super-powers.
Published March 31st 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Avengers

Nicolo Yu
Apr 20, 2014 Nicolo Yu rated it liked it
This volume completes the Geoff Johns Avengers hardcover I've been collecting over the years. I didn't want to pony up for a pricey omnibus and I figured I would save more building my collection from discount bins and bargain bookstores and I was right.

This wasn't a bad story line but having Thor quit the Avengers and making it a crossover between three titles seemed forced, but it does give a sense of how Thor and Tony developed bad blood over the years that lead to cloning "Clor" in the Civil
Anne
Oct 22, 2011 Anne rated it liked it

This isn't a good example of Johns at his best. The story about Iron Man and Thor is sort of passable, but it the cheese level got pretty high at times. Captain America kind of got thrown in there at the end as the voice of reason, but his being there just felt weird and forced. In fact, the same thing could be said of the entire battle between those two. There wasn't enough...something.
My advice would be to skip it and move on to Bendis' Avengers. It isn't awful, but there's definitel
Feather Mista
No pensaba que un libro con capítulos escritos por Johns, Grell y Jurgens me fuera a resultar aburrido... pero medio que sí. O al menos inverosímil, como muchas veces que los superhéroes se meten a tratar de resolver supuestos problemas internacionales con naciones inventadas que no son más que acumulaciones de clichés.
Tuathane
Sep 03, 2012 Tuathane rated it it was ok
The writing in this volume seemed a bit bland for my taste. The story regarding the war in Slokavia was interesting, and I feel that much more could have been done with that in order to make this a better read. There was a point, but it was lost in the super-heroics, instead of the other way around. I would have liked this at eight. Now? Not so much
Sud666
Feb 06, 2016 Sud666 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I am very used to seeing Geoff johns work in DC and am a big fan. So when I saw that he had written some Avengers books, I decided to check them out. Avengers Standoff is an interesting tale and I am actually torn. Part of me likes this enough to give it three stars, though if I could be more accurate it's more of a 2.5
At some point around 2003, it seems that Thor had taken over the throne of Asgard because Odin left. Ok. I honestly can say, I have no idea. But that's what's happened. It is wit
Dmitry Yakovenko
May 10, 2016 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
"Мстители: Противостояние" являются прекрасной иллюстрацией того, насколько Джефф Джонс веселый фанат комиксов, действительно получающий удовольствие от работы над ними. Больше всего известен он своими работами над комиксами DC, но успел отмениться и такой вот историей про Мстителей, которая великолепно читается и по уровню фана и гиковщины воспринимается примерно как два фильма Джосса Уидона про этих же героев.

"Противостояние" рассказывает сразу несколько историй: как Джек Харт пытается контрол
Jenna
Sep 21, 2014 Jenna rated it liked it
Wish the Ant-Man chapters were at the end instead, since they seemed not tied in at all to the dramatic cover.

Overall this covered interesting topics that were also covered in the whole Phoenix Force X-Men series, the great power and great responsibility and policing the world, etc. The importance of helping people in need versus realizing the complexity of global (and historical) politics was hard to read, and I have a feeling I would react as Thor did in his shoes (or boots, I suppose). I fel
Keith
May 27, 2012 Keith rated it liked it
Devero
Jan 11, 2014 Devero rated it liked it
Thor vs Iron-Man vs Capitan America.
La storia è molto legata alla narrazione di quel periodo e risponde ad una richiesta di coerenza da parte dei lettori, in quanto le tre serie stavano prendendo direzioni parecchio diverse sotto l'impulso della direzione editoriale dell'epoca Jemas. Era necessario quindi separare Thor dai Vendicatori, e da Iron-man e Cap. La storia fa acqua, non andrebbe oltre le 2 stelle, ma i disegni di Alan Davis chinato da Farmer permettono tranquillamente la stella in più.
Alejandro
Muy buena historia. Es un gran ejemplo de lo mucho que han evolucionado los comics desde el clásico "bien contra el mal".
El escritor juega muy bien con los grises de proteger a la sociedad. Habla del costo de la libertad, y de las reglas del mundo para obtenerla.
Me gusta también cómo centraron una visión distinta en cada uno de los personajes principales: dos visiones extremas opuestas, y una visión central moderadora.
Además, el arte de toda la historia es excelente: moderna y detallista.
Muy rec
Ondra Král
May 29, 2013 Ondra Král rated it it was ok
Nehodnotím přímo tuto knihu, ale "Avengers: Na ostří nože" (vyšlo v rámci UKK a liší se to jedním sešitem). Hlavní příběh ve kterém se seká Thor a Iron Manem je příliš krátký, zmatený a nějak mi tu ty mezinárodní vztahy nešly do hlavy. Bitva Thora s Iron Manem je nakreslená hezky a to je tak všechno.

Druhý část knihy (Ant Man X Jack of Heart) pak jako vytržená z kontextu nedává smysl - u Jacka se neustále mluví o minulosti, kterou neznám a díky výseku klíčových sešitů to působí děsně zkratkovitě.
Jakub
Nov 26, 2015 Jakub rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-blog
I cannot get used to the bloated size of the group. I am probably a mass-market-baby raised on the movies but still it seems there too many members to do the group good. This one was pretty nic - I like the conflict of interests, I liked the tension and the big fight. Not one to shake me up much but a good read nonetheless.
TJ Shelby
Jul 23, 2010 TJ Shelby rated it liked it
Shelves: marvel
Gustavo
May 22, 2015 Gustavo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, marvel
Hasta ahora de lo más flojo de estos tomitos de Salvat. Hubiera sido interesante que lo publicaran antes de Avengers: Disassembled, asi tendrían un poco más de sentido los eventos del principio de esa saga.
Jesse Rice
It feels rather disjointed. Sure, it's comprised of various issues of comic books, but they barely even all connect. The first and last stories are only passing references to the main three (though pretty good stories on their own). The main story line is okay, but not particularly above average.
Leo Lepez
Jan 10, 2017 Leo Lepez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro está bueno para ver el enfrentamiento de 2 grandes personajes de avengera
La Revistería Comics
Crossover de los Avengers de Geoff Johns contra la monada que se andaba trompeando por aquellas fechas (o sea, ellos mismos... Otra vez).
Timo
May 16, 2012 Timo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Kai sitä nyt parempikin Kostajat tarina olisi julkaistavaksi löytynyt.
Aleksei
Унылое говно.
Jimmy Tucker
Sep 11, 2015 Jimmy Tucker rated it really liked it
Johns really knows how to write Captain America! I wish I would have known about his run on Avengers much sooner.
Variaciones Enrojo
Entrega #12 del coleccionable Marvel de Salvat. Numeración de lomo: 28.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Aug 07, 2016 Andrew Obrigewitsch rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
This was OK, more like 2.5 stars. Entertaining, but not the best writing.
A
A rated it did not like it
Jun 10, 2013
Maximiliano
Maximiliano rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Nott_kot
Nott_kot rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2017
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Marika
Marika rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2013
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
May 23, 2015
Collier Jennings
Collier Jennings rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Audrey Hacker
Audrey Hacker rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Geoff Johns originally hails from Detroit, Michigan. He attended Michigan State University, where he earned a degree in Media Arts and Film. He moved to Los Angeles in the late 1990’s in search of work within the film industry. Through perseverance, Geoff ended up as the assistant to Richard Donner, working on Conspiracy Theory and Lethal Weapon 4. During that time, he also began his comics career ...more
More about Geoff Johns...

Avengers, Volume III (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Avengers: The Morgan Conquest
  • Avengers: Supreme Justice
  • Avengers: Clear & Present Dangers
  • Avengers: Ultron Unlimited
  • Avengers: Living Legends
  • Avengers: Above and Beyond
  • Avengers: The Kang Dynasty (Avengers)
  • Avengers, Volume 1: World Trust