Start by marking “Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven: Over 200 Recipes Uncommon Soups, Tasty Bites, Side-by-Side Dishes, and Too Many Desserts” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  289 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This companion volume to the 26-part public television series which begins airing in October 1997 contains more than 200 recipes for delicious and surprising fare, and is illustrated with more than 25 of Katzen's luminous paintings, richly evocative of the pleasures of cooking and eating.
Published October 6th 1997 by Hachette Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven

Carol
May 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eat
This is my most referenced cook book.
I am doing my top ten recipes from this book, otherwise I will probably list every other recipe in the book: roasted eggplant salad on page 8, gremolata-ricotta egg salad on page 10, roasted beans on page 68 (frequently requested for potlucks,) dreamy white beans on page 74 (mind boggling good, I'm growing sage next spring just for this recipe,) the whole section on roasted vegetables on pages 96- 99, sugar snap peas on page 108, whipped sweet potatoes on pag
P.
May 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookery-bookery
I wish I liked Mollie Katzen's recipes more. They all seem kind of boring to me. Like going over to a friend's house to sleepover and their parents make a well-meaning meal that somehow just doesn't taste right and you can't tell if it's just because you're not eating at your home or what. But she's, like, a big Name in vegetarian cooking, right?

I tried 2 from this book--the Avocado Pear Sorbet (awesome) and the Golden Rice Pie, I think it was called. It was a casserole, and it was okay. I have
leena_abate
I've owned this book for about four years, and during that time, I've only really ever been inspired to make three recipes, all of which came out okay but not good enough to make again. This book is a little fussy , I guess. The dishes seem involved and I get the feeling that a lot of the recipes just wouldn't work if I didn't find perfectly fresh, in season _____ [insert name of somewhat difficult to find, expensive vegetable]. Too many dishes that don't sound like they'll reheat well, etc.

I r
AJ LeBlanc
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I want my cookbooks to have pictures of the food. I get way too happy when every recipe gets a photo and I'm satisfied if there's just a centerfold spread of a choice few.

There are zero photos in this book, but there are lovely watercolors of ingredients. Not very exciting.

Katzen is the author of Moosewood and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest (I love that title) and I had high hopes for this.

I saved *two* recipes.

A lot of these call for lots of prep and ingredients. Maybe I'm only giving it two st
Dottie
Jan 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks-food, 2008, own
Happened to find this in Bookman today -- actually a hardcover not paperback -- it is the cookbook which went with the PBS programs and I believe the pub date is around 1997. It is gorgeous and I have a list of twelve things to try just in my first scan of it -- they seem relatively simple, fresh and the illustrations are wonderful -- plenty of Katzens lovely art works included. Just think of me experimenting and doing a little Snoopy dance at having found this one. ANyone for Raspberry-Rhubarb ...more
Alice
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a solid book filled with solid vegetarian recipes. The author describes a recent shift in her cooking style from one main with sides to many sides as a main. As someone who frequently cooks one dish meals (aka one main with no sides), I find the idea of cooking beans and grains and vegetables separately a little overwheming for one everyday meal. The individaual recipes are decent to good, though, so I'm happy to keep it in my repertoire.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great cookbook! And I like that it doesn't include a great deal of fake meat and tofu like most vegetarian cookbooks. Sometimes I just want some delicious vegetables, and this helps me do that. I haven't made a ton of things from this yet, but everything so far has been great. I can't wait until spring for fresh produce to start arriving so I can delve into this more.
Nancy
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
No pictures!!! ARRGGHHHH!!!! Just some hand drawn veggies from the author.

The food in here seemed quite boring, and rather bland. Nothing that I want to cook. The dessert section was ok, but I have a million dessert recipes. Maybe one or two of the sauces looked passable as well. It mostly seemed like nursing home food to me. Blech.
GoldenjoyBazyll
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Those of you who have been following me for awhile know I am a Moosewood FAN!!!!! The receipes are easy/ nutritious and VERY tasty (except for the vegan chocolate cake :P

Anyhow.... saw this book on the bargain shelf at B&N and could not believe my eyes!

Check out Sizzling Long Beans pg 102 (love these)
G.G.
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
The uncommon soups and too many desserts are all of them delicious. Some of the other recipes--like the Moroccan Roasted Vegetable Stew (pp. 100-1) and Scalloped Potatoes (pp. 130-31) take hours to prepare and are (frankly) not worth the effort--but don't let me put you off another wonderful collection of Mollie Katzen creations. Personal favourites: Chilled Honeydew Soup; Blackberry Buckle.
James Eckman
Another library sale acquisition.

Her newer books have many of these recipes and reduce the salt as well. Well the money goes to a good cause.
My Standard Cookbook Rant
Renee
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is one of my favorite cookbooks ever! It is my go-to book when I want to try a new vegetable recipe. Mollie has a way of creating recipes that really let vegetables shine. (Although this ISBN is listed as paperback, it actually belongs to the hardback version, which I own.)
Oscar
What a great idea book! I consulted this one for something to do with the more esoteric veggies that go for reduced sale at the grocery store I work at, and I was not disappointed. Plus, more soups and uses for beans are always a plus!
Cherie
May 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Oh yum! I totally want this book. Another winner by Katzen -- lots of super yummy recipes on cooking veggies. So, so good. Full of Katzen's creative vegetable dishes. She is an amazing recipe-master!
Jessica
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My go-to. This is to me what Silver Palate was to my mother and what Joy of Cooking was to a generation of American cooks.
Meredith
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
a good book for cooking basic vegetarian and whole grain fare.
Catharine
Great recipes.
Dane
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food, 1970s
Good recipes and I like Mollie Katzen's writing. I just found surprisingly few recipes that made me want to try them. Gave it away.
Celia
May 12, 2010
Barbrasher
Apr 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions
  • Quick Vegetarian Pleasures: More than 175 Fast, Delicious, and Healthy Meatless Recipes
  • Cooking the Whole Foods Way: Your Complete, Everyday Guide to Healthy, Delicious Eating with 500 Recipes, Menus, Meal Planning, Techniques, Buying
  • The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen
  • Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure
  • Flatbreads  Flavors
  • Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Dairy Hollow House Soup & Bread Cookbook
  • My Pantry: Homemade Ingredients That Make Simple Meals Your Own
  • The New Vegetarian Epicure: Menus--With 325 All-New Recipes--For Family and Friends
  • Tassajara Cooking
  • Vegan Soups and Hearty Stews for All Seasons
  • The Voluptuous Vegan: More Than 200 Sinfully Delicious Recipes for Meatless, Eggless, and Dairy-Free Meals
  • Horn of the Moon Cookbook: Recipes from Vermont's Renowned Vegetarian Restaurant
  • The Complete Italian Vegetarian Cookbook: 350 Essential Recipes for Inspired Everyday Eating
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Vegetable Love
  • Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker: 200 Recipes for Healthy and Hearty One-Pot Meals That Are Ready When You Are
Educated at the Eastman School of Music, Cornell University, and the San Francisco Art Institute. Although her formal training was as an artist and musician, she exhibited natural cooking inclinations from a very early age, and cooked professionally - in restaurants and as a caterer - for ten years. In 1973 she was one of the founders of the Moosewood Restaurant in Ithaca, New York, and during her ...more
More about Mollie Katzen...