Start by marking “A Tailor-Made Bride” as Want to Read:
A Tailor-Made Bride

A Tailor-Made Bride

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  9,329 Ratings  ·  718 Reviews
Jericho "J.T." Tucker wants nothing to do with Coventry, Texas's new dressmaker. He's all too familiar with her kind--shallow women more devoted to fashion than true beauty. Yet, except for her well-tailored clothing, this seamstress is not at all what he expected.
Hannah Richards is confounded by the man who runs the livery. The unsmiling fellow riles her with his arrogan
Published June 1st 2010 by Bethany House Publishers

Anne Osterlund
Jan 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hannah is a dressmaker who has always worked for someone else. And dreamed silently of her own shop sometime in the distant future. But when a surprise benefactress turns that dream into the present, Hannah leaves behind everything she knows for the isolated town of Coventry, Texas.

And lands, of course, in the arms of J.T. Tucker (aka Jericho, though he does NOT care for that name). Which is naturally why Hannah starts to use it.

She really can’t help herself.

After all, Jericho just begs to be ma
Jae Roth
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
First of all, this is a Christian Romance. I'm annoyed at the people who left one star reviews because of that. Do your homework people! You wouldn't walk into a dress store and pull out something cause you liked the color. You'd check to see if it fit you. The story is published by Bethany House. Bethany House is an inspirational/Christian publisher.

That aside, the story itself does leave room for criticism. Pacing is painfully slow and there is very little happening in the story. Even the mome
Sarita
What an enjoyable read. This book was light and fun with some well deserved giggles, but also included depth and some very on-my-seat action parts.

They way Hannah and Jericho turned to the Lord when they were faced with some hard truths, is a great example I wish to be able to also do when I'm facing situations I don't like. Even when Jericho fought against seeking the truth because he was afraid of the result, he at the end submitted to God.

The romance was sweet between the characters and I fou
Renee
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I'm in the mood for a sweet, gentle romance with a dashing hero and this book, A Tailor-Made Bride fits the bill! Too boot it's a debut novel for author Karen Witemeyer! All I can say is if this book is that good, what's her next one going to be like?

This story, set in the late 19th century, features beautiful seamstress and dressmaker, Hannah Richards and rough, sometimes gruff liveryman, Jericho "J.T." Tucker. If you like a thoroughly modern heroine and a stubborn hero look no furthe
Deanne Patterson
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another rip roaring good time by Karen Witemeyer !
Casey
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
With a prose that stands up and grabs the reader’s attention, this debut novel did not disappoint this reader!

I found great delight within the pages of TAILOR MADE BRIDE. Jericho, Hannah and Cordelia, even the villains and secondary characters were brought to life. I loved the word usage, the character portrayal, their interactions, it all shouted to me that this book is one to be remembered.

Jericho and Hannah’s relations are funny and romantic. What a hero! And what a romantic chemistry, it mad
Alyssa
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's 2 am and I just finished A Tailor Made Bride and oh my goodness!! Just like every other story Karen has penned, I LOVED it!! Utterly worthy of more than five stars. A more full review to come soon.
Margaret Metz
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books I looked forward to ever since I saw the cover art last year. The more I read about it, the more I wanted to read it. It didn't disappoint.

I know you shouldn't judge a book by a cover ~ but how many of us do just that? We either are drawn to the gorgeous dress (like on this one) or repelled by what we don't like on another. It's like that in life too. Jericho Tucker has done just that in this book. He takes one look at Hannah Richards and sees all the things he hates a
Beth
What a fun, sweet read! I needed just such a book at the time that I read this one. The characters are endearing, and the romance is sweet.

The main character, Hannah, is opening a dress shop in Texas, and I really liked her determination to succeed in that business. Despite his misgivings of dresses and fancy attire, J.T. finds himself falling for her and their mishaps and bungling of situations were charming. I do feel that they fell in love a bit quickly. Although the progression of their rela
Margaret Chind
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Kate Witemeyer
First time novel for Karen Witemeyer has earned a permanent space on my keeper shelf and a guaranteed to-buy list selection for future titles such as Head in the Clouds. The Bethany House cover artists out did themselves on these covers and the story within in skilled to match right on par. I was pleased and tickled to giggles by the humor and personality within the characters in the pages of A Tailor-Made Bride. I am so glad to have discovered Karen's writing and cannot wait patiently enough fo ...more
Ririn
Jul 31, 2014 rated it liked it
All that I think about when i finished reading this book, that this is a calm read. If you need something to escape the turbulence of most romance novel, then you should read this one.

A sweet story about a dressmaker and a liveryman. Hannah Richards got a chance to realiaze her dream of opening her own shop when a patron of hers deeded the shop to her. So she arrived in Coventry, Texas with the hope to be a successful dressmaker. Jericho "J.T." Tucker tried to resist his growing attraction for t
Hannah
An enjoyable story. I can't quite figure out why I missed reviewing it when I had the library ebook last month, so it's not terribly fresh in my mind...but I will definitely reread it and will be looking for a good deal on my own hard copy.
Emily Tuckett
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The world needs more realistic happily ever afters. So if you are looking for that perfect feel-good, chick-flick-ish novel then A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer will satisfy better than a cupcake scented bubble bath. This Historical-Fiction romance is clean and delightful. The main characters are very religious, so don’t be surprised by respectful references to God. The banter is witty and the characters rich in integrity.

Witemeyer’s writing was above average, but it was the plot that con
Karen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Hannah is the new dressmaker in town, trying to get her shop to make a profit. Jericho (JT) is the town's liveryman whose mother left them and loved pretty things more than her family. Can Hannah be a good businesswoman as well as a good christian example? Can JT leave the past alone and start a future with someone that make pretty things?
Kathy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Christian Fiction - A squeaky clean, some what preachy, syrupy sweet, predictable, old-fashioned, historical romance. A little slow but enjoyable.

Content: Squeaky Clean
SheLove2Read
May 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
A good read. I feel like the author added in at least 75 pages of unnecessary fluff towards the end, which brings my review down to a 3 star, but I did enjoy it.
Emily
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was a super cute romance with a little danger at the end. The moral of the story is: Appearance isn’t everything, but beauty still has value.
Jessica  (My Not So Vacant Shelf)
I don’t know what it is, but I love timepiece novels. When something we take today as being normal everyday behaviour, like a kiss, is put into a situation where it is in fact not innocent and holds great meaning, it makes the whole idea of romance right down to a kiss mean so much more and seems to captivate me whole heartedly. We seem to take those simple touches, kisses, or gestures for granted these days, maybe because they are so freely done with modern day society that we don’t realize the ...more
Bethany
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
I've read a two of Karen's books {Short-Straw Bride & Head In The Clouds} previous to reading A Tailor-Made Bride, and really enjoyed them! But I liked A Tailor-Made Bride even better! I can't quite choose whether I like Short-Straw Bride or A Tailor-Made Bride best, but it's very close! I literally fell in love with this book and was so glad for the opportunity to be able to borrow it from our local library.

The biggest of my "favorites" with this book would probably be how much Karen inco
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I actually got this book over a year ago when it was on sale (for free) on Amazon. I’m not sure why I didn’t read it at the time, I probably wasn’t in a western mood, but now I’m sad I waited so long to read it. I thought this one was super cute. I just loved Hannah and JT. I admired Hannah for a lot of reasons; she’s someone I would want to be more like. She is so naturally kind to people and sees the good in everyone. I also liked her independence and how brave she was to move to a new city an ...more
Gwendolyn Gage
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Hannah Richards arrives in Coventry Texas with the deed to a dress shop, energized and ready to live her dream of ministering to others through her skill in making beautiful clothes. The gruff livery owner across the street is a walking contradiction--he snubs Hannah for promoting vanity to the Coventry women and owning a property he's been trying to buy for years, but then goes out of his way to perform little acts of kindness for her.

I enjoyed Jericho and Hannah immensely. They were unique and
Vickie McDonough
Jun 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Being a gal who is only comfortable in my jeans, I wondered how I’d like a book where the heroine is a dressmaker, but let me tell you, I loved A Tailor-Made Bride! Hannah is a spunky, determined heroine who isn’t about to let a narrow-minded man like J.T. stop her from achieving her dream. From the moment they meet, there is explosive sparring between the two. He’s totally against her choice of professions and doesn’t mind telling her. She thinks he’d the rudest man she’s met, and hates that he ...more
Loraine
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked the characters in this book and how they changed throughout the story. It was interesting to see how both Hannah and Jericho had changed perspectives through prayer and faith as well as how they realized the influence their past had on their present.

Once again I found a kindle book with very poor editing/proofreading for kindle use. Many run together words as well as words with spaces within them. Publishing company needs to do a better job on this before releasing it in e-reader
Nicole
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A delightful read, this one quickly made it to the top of my "Witemeyer List" (alongside Head in the Clouds). I so enjoy this author and her lovable, comical style of writing. The characters are consistent, even as they grow, and are sure to steal your heart with smiles, laughs, and a few heartfelt sighs.
Connie
Mar 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun romance. I love these books when I am having a bad day. I love knowing that I can fulfill my love of a fun romantic story but can be sure that I will be uplifted at the same time with no pages that I have to skip!
Jenny Q
Audiobook: It's easy to skim over tedious detail and dialogue when you're reading a physical book, not so easy when you have to listen to it. I gave up about a third of the way through this one. Too much tedious detail and not enough action. Too slow and too light for my tastes.
Raquel Evans
Some of the typical silliness of the genre, but not as much as usual. I appreciated the interesting characters and the light but engaging read which was perfect for what I needed today.
Lila Diller
What do you do when you're sick but can't sleep? Read an entire Karen Witemeyer story in one day, of course!

This was my first time reading this, and I loved it! The characters were realistic (except for two very minor things), the Old West setting accurately depicted, the romance drawn out realistically and tense with wondering, and humorous moments at the end of almost every chapter!

The only two things I didn't like were: 1. The prologue, though helping the reader to understand what brought Han
Amanda
Jul 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I DID NOT WANT THIS BOOK TO END!! From cover to cover, Karen Witemeyer just blew me away! She has the "character depth" of Tamera Alexander and the "romantic charm" of Deeanne Gist, combined with a beautiful, refreshing style all her own.

This is Karen's first novel, and that fact alone will leave you even more wide eyed and slack jawed at her abilities. Most importantly, you will also find the Lord's "thumbprint" on every page. Her words ministered to my spirit in such a deep, penetrating way.
Carol
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. The characters were richly developed with unique personalities.

The main characters are Hannah, a seamstress who impresses an elderly woman customer so much that she is willed the deed to a shop. Jericho (J.T.) who runs a lively service in the small town of Coventry, Texas in the 1880s. There are several minor characters who added much to the humor and inventiveness to this book.

This book probably classifies as a Christian historical romance. What
Sinopsis en Español 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 05:47PM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 1 Oct 22, 2014 08:38PM
Translation to Spanish, why not? 1 1 Jul 08, 2014 12:16AM
Christian Fiction...: ❀Caitlyn and Melanie❀ A Tailor-Made Bride by Karen Witemeyer 25 13 Jul 11, 2013 08:03PM
  • Making Waves (Lake Manawa Summers, #1)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Love on the Line
  • The Vigilante's Bride
  • A Vote of Confidence (Sisters of Bethlehem Springs, #1)
  • A Heart Most Worthy
  • Courting Morrow Little
  • The Inheritance
  • A Suitor for Jenny (A Rocky Creek Romance, #2)
  • Heart of Stone (Irish Angel, #1)
  • A Hope Undaunted (Winds of Change, #1)
For those who love to smile as they read, bestselling author Karen Witemeyer offers warmhearted historical romance with a flair for humor, feisty heroines, and swoon-worthy Texas heroes. A transplant from California, Karen came to Texas for college, met a cowboy disguised as a computer nerd, married him, and never left the state that had become home.

Winner of the National Reader's Choice Award, H
More about Karen Witemeyer
“One day I'm going to catch you in a full-blown grin, Mr.Tucker," she said, wagging a finger at him, "and when I do, watch out because I'm going to crow in victory." "We all need goals in life, Miss Richards." J.T. swung two boards up onto his shoulder and peered down at her. "Mine's to get this stuff delivered before the first snow falls. You think I got a chance at making that happen?” 26 likes
“He unlaced his arms and took a step forward. "You hurt?"
"Not badly." She tried to smile, but her lips only curved on one side. "My main problem is that I'm stuck to a cactus."
(...)
"How'd you manage to get tangled up with a cactus?" J.T. crouched beside her and started extricating her from the prickly plant.
"Well, believe it or not, I was on my way to apologize to you when a prairie-dog hole jumped up and grabbed my shoe heel.”
24 likes