Start by marking “Martian Time-Slip” as Want to Read:
Martian Time-Slip

Martian Time-Slip

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  8,989 Ratings  ·  472 Reviews
On the arid colony of Mars the only thing more precious than water may be a ten-year-old schizophrenic boy named Manfred Steiner. For although the UN has slated "anomalous" children for deportation and destruction, other people--especially Supreme Goodmember Arnie Kott of the Water Worker's union--suspect that Manfred's disorder  may be a window into the future. In Martian ...more
Published May 30th 1995 by Vintage (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Martian Time-Slip, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martian Time-Slip

Lyn
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Martian Time Slip by Philip K. Dick, published in 1964, is one of PKDs better books.

Set on Mars, this is largely about Terran colonists taking care of business. Dick provides a snapshot of social, political and economic life on Mars. “Bleekmen” are the long suffering indigenous extra-terrestrial native Martians, cast aside like Native Americans and called the N word by a fat cat union boss.

Carrying on the tradition set by Robert A. Heinlein in Red Planet and Ray Bradbury’s The Martian Chronicl
Glenn Russell
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing

"Death upsets everyone, makes them do peculiar things; it sets a radiating process of action and emotion going that works its way out, farther and farther, to embrace more people and things."
- Philip K. Dick, Martian Time-Slip

Dickheads of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your minds! Go ahead, read Martian Time-Slip and push yourself to the limit - you are on Mars in the near future among colonies under the umbrella of the United Nations, colonies formed by citizens from such countri
Darwin8u
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, scifi, fiction, american
“Everything wears out eventually; nothing is permanent. Change is the one constant of life.”
― Philip K. Dick, Martian Time-Slip

description

Martian Time-Slip may not be one of Dick's BEST novels, but it is almost my favorite. There is a huge energy and vitality in it. Dick is painting with his usual themes (loneliness, madness, drugs, pre-cognition, time, artificial intelligence, the other, corporatism, love, etc), but there is nothing usual about what he extracts. The only thing missing from this book is G
Apatt
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“Gubble me more, she said. Gubble gubble me, put your gubbish into me, into my gubbish, you Gubbler. Gubble gubble, I like gubble! Don't stop. Gubble, gubble gubble gubble, gubble!”

That there is some beautiful dialogue from PKD’s wacky 1964 novel Martian Time-Slip. I remember reading this in the 80s but I have practically no memory of the plot. However, I do remember all this “Gubble gubble” business very vividly. There is a surreal hallucinatory feeling to it that I will never forget.

The title
Stuart
Paranoia, schizophrenia, greed, exploitation, suburban ennui, adultery, real estate scams, small-time businessmen, robot educators, colonization of Mars, distortions of time and reality, gubble, gubble, gubble...

Yep, this is another of PKD's brilliant explorations of the minds of his characters, themselves extensions of his own explorations of paranoia and reality. And this one takes it careful time establishing the inner lives of its fairly large caste of troubled characters. It doesn't kick in
Hadrian
Aug 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi, fiction
You really scare me sometimes, Phil.
Printable Tire
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Working my way back into reading all Dick's novels again. Here is some classic Dick (ew!): the clunky exposition, the complexity of reality. This one begins and ends by concerning itself with a bevy of topics and characters: unions, autism, the education system, family life, marital infidelity, gentrification, small-time businessmen, racism, aborigines, mental illness in children, and etcetera. Martian Time-Slip begins and ends as a story about modern suburban life, and the fact that it takes pl ...more
Aviones de papel
2,5

Este es probablemente el libro más flojo que he leído de K. Dick hasta la fecha, con este autor suele pasarme que todos los conceptos que explora y sus paranoias me flipan, pero lo que es el desarrollo de la historia y la descripción de los personajes me dejan un poco a medias, y en este además opino que hay demasiada paja para ser un libro tan corto. Le doy 3 estrellas y no 2 porque el final me ha gustado mucho.
Jonfaith
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Mister, they take a brave journey. They turn away from mere things, which one may handle and turn to practical use; they turn inward to meaning. There, the black-night-without-bottom lies, the pit. Who can say if they will return? And if so, what will they be like, having glimpsed meaning? I admire them.

I truly hated the first 70-80 pages, it read like too much of the other Dick I've encountered: paranoia, despair, the disabled. Martian Time-Slip then took a few flips and I admit I was dazzled.
Jakob
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The gubbish ran down the walls as I sat,
as I sat the gubble gubble.

I looked down at the gubbish where my fingers used to be,
as I sat finger bones shiny with gubbish click clacked on a rusty metal framework,
coloured wires slithering in and out of it like lustful worms.

As I sat down to write my gubbish review
I gubbled, I saw the wet bones click clacking on dirty metal.
We're all gubbish in the end...

One of the more surreal books I've read by PKD - Awesome :)
chase Adams
May 02, 2007 rated it really liked it
I thought I was finished with Philip K Dick, but it was either this or Maze of Death at the used bookstore and I had some store credit to abuse. Good thing, too. You read the wrong PKD novel, you feel as if they're all the same and you've got it covered. Martian Time-Slip taught me that its still worth it to find all the gems among such a massive output. Most of his novels do an incredible job of replicating the feeling of an acid or mushroom trip. This one applies those techinques towards anxie ...more
Doug
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dick's prose and character development is as poor as ever here, but the metaphysical ideas and social commentary as well as the storyline itself are so genius that I simply don't care. I first read this when I was in my twenties and devouring all the Dick I could find. I enjoyed it even more this time around. Short, strange and surreal and pretty perfect for what it is: Classic American Science Speculative Fiction.
Estelle
A great read and, so far, one of the most accessible PKD novels I've read. It only gets weird and tripy late in the story, but when it happens you'd better buckle your seatbelt because it is WEIRD.
Rachel
I'm writing this review to say that this rating is given in the strictest sense of the Goodreads "it was OK" and should not be taken to mean that I think this book is in any way "fair" or "poor." Because it's not. In fact, if Goodreads had the half star, the "almost liked it!" this one would definitely get it. It would get the three-quarters star even. This review is one of the few that I'm approaching in an entirely opinionated way, because as far as books go, the part of me that is not biased ...more
Sable
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Read for the SF Masterworks Reading Challenge and the Science Fiction Masterworks Reading Club.

A lot of people are big fans of PKD. A lot of people give him a great deal of respect as a literary science fiction writer. Academia permits you to like science fiction if you like Philip K. Dick. It’s not like the rest of that science fiction stuff, which as you know, is all about aliens and spaceships and the like (at least, if you believe Margaret Atwood).

My partner, on the other hand, really does n
Kate Sherrod
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the many, many things I love about Philip K. Dick is how he can make fantastic science fictional scenarios into studies of utter human banality (and yes, despair) but still make me want to live in them. Martian Time-Slip, for instance, also feels like it could, and likely would, be marketed nowadays under a title like Real Housewives of Mars. Except they're mid 20th century type housewives, so they actually, you know, fix lunch for their children and whatnot.* So maybe it's really more li ...more
Charles Dee Mitchell
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mid-century-sf
Philip K. Dick just couldn't be bothered by some of the standard verities of science fiction. He knew sf should often take place in outer space, but whereas other novelists placed their narratives in the 22, 23, or some unimaginable distant future, in the novels Dick wrote in the 1950's and 1960's, he thought that 40 or so years was plenty of time for man to start populating the universe. He also didn't pay much attention to the news coming out from astrophysicists that the weather on other plan ...more
Thom
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Questionable psychology and a Mars settlement more like Northern California than a NASA colony. PKD writes a good narrative that varies with his characters, but while it works with A Scanner Darkly, this SF Masterworks novel seems just out of sync to me.

One must first look past the non-colony aspect of the Martian residents - Bradbury's stories helped with that. Then one must discount the Natives, who are described in extremely racist terms - 1964 helps here, but not much. This leaves one with a
Badseedgirl
This is the second work by Phillip K. Dick I have read, the first being The Man In The High Castle and I guess he is just not the writer for me. I had a terrible time getting through this book, It just did not hold my attention. I considered DNFing this at several points but stuck with it. The writing is good, but the plot was so slow, that by the time it really started to pick up the pace, I was completely uninterested in what was going on.
Jack Stovold
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My Philip K. Dick Project

Entry #24 - Martian Time-Slip (written Oct. 1962, published Apr. 1964)

Martian Time-Slip is another moody masterpiece from Dick, full of what are rapidly becoming staples of his work, schizophrenia and mental illness, blurred realities, psionic abilities (often linked to mental illness and blurring of reality) and his unique mixture of the mundane and the fantastic, the humorous and the terrifying.
Only a Philip K. Dick book could have a plot about the greedy, power-hun
Giant Steps
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Dick è incredibile e non è un autore di genere, è semplicemente un genio e come tale dovrebbe essere studiato a scuola insieme a Manzoni o Tolstoj, anche se è stravagante (e stravagante è dire poco). La fantascienza è solo un pretesto per indagare la realtà, per stanarla e rappresentarla nelle sue molteplici e oscure pieghe. Dick scava, ci sbatte il muso e non si da pace e si affida alla fantasia, a una fantasia immensa che travalica i limiti dell’immaginazione e gioca con l’idea stessa di vita, ...more
Sookie
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, sci-fi-fantasy
Everybody has their own agenda in this world; some are crueler in its execution than others...

The motivation behind primary protagonist's thought process is greed and his infinite ego. Its the most basic human flaw that has the capacity to ruin an entire world. In Martian Time-Slip, this very greed of land and overlord mentality brings down this man from his pedestal of power to crude death. Dick does this wonderfully without surrounding him with morally righteous characters.

I am not sure of ch
Jimmy Ele
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece of storytelling. I especially enjoyed the repetition of dialogue in order to emphasize the same scene occurring again (albeit from a different perspective/perception). The time manipulation aspects of the writing, and the twists that keep the reader not being able to truly tell what is the reality of things is simply brilliant. The interspersed humor throughout is great especially when used to counterbalance the dark aspects of the story. I especially loved the dark as ...more
Tess van Brummelen
"You must die," the dark man said. "Then you will be reborn. Do you see, child?"
"Yes," Manfred said. And then he fled into the blackness of the future . . . -p.0

"Rains are falling from me onto your valuable persons," he called to them, the proper Bleekman greeting in the Bleeky dialect. (..) Rising to his feet slowly, the young Bleekman male genuflected and said in a wavering, frail voice, "The rains falling from you wonderful presence envigor and restore us, Mister." -p.27/28

"One thing, when yo
Misha
Dec 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, science-fiction
Amanda
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book really didn't age well. A large portion of the plot revolves around a boy with Autism (who is almost always referred to as "the Autistic boy" and not "the boy with Autism") who can time-travel because of his Autism. He also can twist the world around him into a dark reflection of his "dark mind." The entire depiction of Autism simply drips with fear.

A large portion of the population (I believe it said 10% but it's an audiobook and I'm uncertain of the number) falls prey to "schizophren
Jeffrey
May 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
Reading this book in the year 2017 tells us more about the state of knowledge and society in the 1950's and early 60's than it does about possible futures on Mars. Like Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick imagines a Mars with real canals filled with water, surviving Martians and remnants of Martian civilization and breathable air. As usual, his characters smoke cigarettes when it pleases them. The threat of nuclear war destroying the earth is always just between the lines.

He has an interesting theory
Simon
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf, sf-masterworks
Another mind boggling book of strange ideas and unexpected plot developments that are the author's trademark. The ending felt a little tame by his standards, especially considering The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch that came out the following year, but still very good.

There is an interweaving cast of well drawn and interesting characters that the narrative focuses on and some interesting themes explored such as mental illness and the nature of reality.

The story is set on Mars, in the not to
P.E.
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I rank it as one of the most far-fetched books from the writer, and a fine one at that!

You can't help feeling immersed in the odd decaying standpoint and tripping psychedelic tribes!

Matching Soundtrack :
Risingson - Massive Attack
Clayton Stephens
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving it five stars for originality. Maybe it won't touch your soul, but it's certainly fascinating and entertaining.
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Behold the Man
  • The Rediscovery of Man
  • The Centauri Device
  • Galaxies
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • Life During Wartime
  • Jem
  • 334
  • A Mirror for Observers
  • Bring the Jubilee
  • The Child Garden
  • Nova
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
“I'm not much but I'm all I have.” 834 likes
“The Public School, he had long ago decided, was neurotic. It wanted a world in which nothing new came about, in which there were no surprises. And that was the world of the compulsive-obsessive neurotic; it was not a healthy world at all.” 6 likes